What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Guilty Pleasure Movies (1 Viewer)

Going to the theater tonight for a special screening of R.A.D.

The amount of love I have for this movie and soundtrack knows no bounds.
I have the book and the movie on "DVD"
Also have that "DVD", which I think was LaserDisc burned onto a DVD. My buddy once bought a laserdisc/CD combo, just for the soundtrack, and found it was not an original CD, just burned from cassette. Thankfully Spotify has it all now.

Went to the 20th anniversary showing with my red "Rad Racing" tshirt, thinking it would be cool and was out done by a guy in the full RAD Racing tracksuit including helmet.
SEND ME AN ANGEL!!!! oooh oooohhh

The Beastmaster, 1982

-Action, some of it rather harsh like when they make those killers in hoods by dropping whatever it is down their ears
Everyone is running around half naked, Tanya Roberts shows up, the hero can communicate with a purple tiger, eagle and other creatures
John Amos makes an appearance, there's a temple and a lot of eagle screeching at the top of it.

Made just $14M at the box office
Was played on HBO and all the rest quite a lot

I've got a couple doozies and they're both Christmas movies.

A Very Brady Christmas - I LOVED the Brady Bunch as a kid and when they all came back for this it was amazing. Who doesn't shed a tear every time Mike emerges from the rubble of that collapsed building. Very nostalgic.

One Magic Christmas - Probably the most depressing Christmas movie ever made, at least the first 95% of it. It struck a chord with me because we lost my dad when I was very young too.

Hmmm..Tuff Turf--Armageddon
As far as endlessely rewatchable:
The Martian
Apollo 13
Blues Brothers
The Fugitive

To name a few

I'm a sucker for music based movies, a few that come to mind for me...

High Fidelity - did a recent re-watch, doesn't hold up as well as it did, probably because I've seen it too often, but there are still some great moments

This was my answer for "all time favorite movie" for the longest time. I basically wanted to be Rob, ###hole parts and all. Been a while since I have done a rewatch, might do that this weekend.

High Fidelity - did a recent re-watch, doesn't hold up as well as it did, probably because I've seen it too often, but there are still some great moments

This was my answer for "all time favorite movie" for the longest time. I basically wanted to be Rob, ###hole parts and all. Been a while since I have done a rewatch, might do that this weekend.

Book is fantastic too.

Book is fantastic too.
Love the book as well. One of only a few re-reads multiple times of a book in my life. Didn't like About A Boy. Did enjoy Juliet, Naked after seeing the film adaptation.

I think some people don't understand the topic or what guilty pleasure means. Really it's a movie you like that people will make fun of you for liking. Things like Big and The Fugitive are crazy talk.

Some that have already been listed that fall into the category for me:
  • The Cutting Edge
  • Roadhouse (although I am not sure who makes fun of you for liking it)
  • For Love of the Game

Some not listed:
  • How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
  • Trouble with the Curve
  • Coyote Ugly (perfect date movie - chic flick with hot chicks, good for everyone)
  • Hardball

I think some people don't understand the topic or what guilty pleasure means. Really it's a movie you like that people will make fun of you for liking. Things like Big and The Fugitive are crazy talk.

Some that have already been listed that fall into the category for me:
  • The Cutting Edge
  • Roadhouse (although I am not sure who makes fun of you for liking it)
  • For Love of the Game

Some not listed:
  • How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
  • Trouble with the Curve
  • Coyote Ugly (perfect date movie - chic flick with hot chicks, good for everyone)
  • Hardball
"Toe pick!"

The Beastmaster, 1982

-Action, some of it rather harsh like when they make those killers in hoods by dropping whatever it is down their ears
Everyone is running around half naked, Tanya Roberts shows up, the hero can communicate with a purple tiger, eagle and other creatures
John Amos makes an appearance, there's a temple and a lot of eagle screeching at the top of it.

Made just $14M at the box office
Was played on HBO and all the rest quite a lot
One of my all time favs.....no seriously.

And Rip Torn was perfectly cast as well.

Ok reeling in the OP's intent.

I love:

Showgirls
Staying Alive
Battle Beyond The Stars
The Beastmaster
The Devil Wears Prada
Jaws 3
Excalibur
Dune (1984)
Naked Lunch
For Love of the Game (great one Gally)
Youngbloods
St Elmos Fire
Secret of My Success

Those are some serious guilty pleasures.

2nd hand lions is a movie I didn't think I would like, but I really enjoyed it and enjoy watching it when it is on.

I guess by reading this list I have a lot of guilty pleasures.
They Live! "I came here to chew bubble gum......" RIP Rowdy
Varsity Blues - Whip cream bikini! Enough said
Roadhouse - Total man's movie
Blues Brothers and Big? These are just great movies, no guilt there.

I am NOT a fan of NASCAR or any sort of auto racing and I think Tom Cruise is a nutty, creepy, weirdo.

But if I sit down and find Days of Thunder on TV, I'm watching to the end.

The first 45 minutes when he rolls up on the cycle and is just meeting Duvall for the first time
The pacing, the use of "Gimme Some Lovin'" while they are racing around the track early, Randy Quaid "We look like a monkey ****ing a football" is an incredible line
The scene where Duvall sits down and explains how tires are vital to win the race and does the 50 laps side by side comparion
And then...Nicole Kidman shows up and man does this film start changing directions. It pulls together nicely at the end but I coulda done without her

Great guilty pleasure movie, it was panned a lot by critics and I always enjoyed it.
One of Cruise's better action films.
-Good entry IMO

Last edited:
We also like the Disney Three Musketeers- the one with Charlie Sheen and Oliver Platt. It's complete cheese, and we love it.

The Beastmaster, 1982

IF you're gonna go this deep into the dreck, try Hawk the Slayer (currently available on Tubi). We originally saw this bowser on TV back in the 80's during a D&D game, and were laughing so hard nobody could breathe. Maybe the "best/worst" over the top example of the sword and sorcery genre ever put to film.

Also a sucker for just about any John Hughes.
Again, not guilty pleasures. Just good movies.
Some kind of wonderful isn't.

Eta... But you're totally right. A ton of food movies by him.
Hey, I like Some Kind of Wonderful, it's a good film, right in Hughes' wheelhouse! Elias Koteas was a superb discovery for me in that film - great character actor, something you don't see as much of any more.

Anyone who calls Conan the Barbarian a guilty pleasure is guilty of being too afraid to admit its awesomeness.

Anyone who calls Conan the Destroyer a guilty pleasure is right on the money. Olivia D'Abo :bye:
It's sort of hailed a decent flick, the 1st Conan with James Earl Jones, it's pretty well made.
67% critics score on RT.
It made somewhere around $75M at the box office, $20M to make, pretty large budget for that time period.

-The 2nd Conan was not critically received as well and it is somewhat shiny compared the feel and look of the 1st Conan.
I'm surprised Arnold didn't milk that franchise into a couple more films, at least a 3rd one.

I am NOT a fan of NASCAR or any sort of auto racing and I think Tom Cruise is a nutty, creepy, weirdo.

But if I sit down and find Days of Thunder on TV, I'm watching to the end.

The first 45 minutes when he rolls up on the cycle and is just meeting Duvall for the first time
The pacing, the use of "Gimme Some Lovin'" while they are racing around the track early, Randy Quaid "We look like a monkey ****ing a football" is an incredible line
The scene where Duvall sits down and explains how tires are vital to win the race and does the 50 laps side by side comparion
And then...Nicole Kidman shows up and man does this film start changing directions. It pulls together nicely at the end but I coulda done without her

Great guilty pleasure movie, i was panned a lot by critics and I always enjoyed it.
One of Cruise's better action films.
-Good entry IMO
Wheelchair race in the hospital followed by them ****ing up their rental cars is :tebow:

Strong disagree about Kidman. :wub:

I celebrate Kevin Costmers holy Trinity of post apocalyptic movies: Waterworld, The Postman, Robin Hood.

Also a sucker for just about any John Hughes.
Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves is another outstanding example of a guilty pleasure
Alan Rickman is able to capitalize on his excellent work in Die Hard, he sells the villain quite well in this campy version of Hood.

-Costner plays it just like a Western, lots of moral compass with his character
He's aided by Morgan Freeman, never sell that man short of taking a bad script and making it believable

The movie starts off in the underground prisons of Jerusalem maybe during one of the Crusades and Costner escapes while hands are being chopped off, suspension of disbelief
It makes the movie look pretty real and dark to begin with, and there is actually quite a bit of dark thru the Church and the Sheriff trying to take the King's throne.

Mastrantonio looks more like an Italian or Spanish princess but she brings the right levels and overall the strong cast take a weak script and bring it to life.
Some of the camera work and special effects with the bows and arrows are quite good

-There was a No 1 hit song from the movie by I believe Bryan Adams called "Everything I do" and it might have lasted on the charts longer than the movie
I saw this flick 2-3x in high school between my JR and SR year that summer, different date every time and I'll keep it PG

This is definitely a guilty pleasure, movie only rates about 50% on RT. Rickman and Freeman carry the movie when they are on screen.
Costner is no Errol Flynn, that's for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread