What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gurley’s handcuff? (1 Viewer)

rawdog

Footballguy
In a super deep league where this matters. Kelly got the preseason hype but Brown was active week 1 and got a few touches. Neither, of course, is close to a poor man’s version of Gurley. But...non-profit, if you had to roster one if them in case of emergency, who should it be? 

I'd roster Brown (& did).

Kelly was already rostered (dynasty league), but I prefer Brown, anyway (for the purpose of a handcuff or a "what-if" stash which is why I rostered him).

Brown is underrated & has a fair amount of talent. He might surprise in that offense if given the opportunity.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the 1st pick in my draft and I took Gurley. With my last pick, I grabbed Kelley. Brown had actually been scooped up by someone else a round earlier. Kelley got the pre-season hype (including by FBG) and it was Kelley (not Brown) that was listed as the back-up to handcuff.

G_d forbid Gurley goes down. 

I had the 1st pick in my draft and I took Gurley. With my last pick, I grabbed Kelley. Brown had actually been scooped up by someone else a round earlier. Kelley got the pre-season hype (including by FBG) and it was Kelley (not Brown) that was listed as the back-up to handcuff.

G_d forbid Gurley goes down. 
There's no doubt Brown would get first crack at it should something happen to Gurley, but I'm sure Kelly would get some PT.

From there, it would depend on how each performs. Brown isn't a scrub, though. I could see him having some nice production in that offense given the chance. 

So, I made a trade offer to the guy in my league who sniped Malcolm Brown from me in the 17th round of our 18 round draft. I offered Duke Johnson. He rejected and asked for Juju. I'm not kidding. Needless to say, I passed. LOL

Meanwhile--Kelley with his second straight healthy inactive. He seems droppable, although I feel like I am messing with the fantasy gods if I do, and that Gurley will go down if I do so. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Malcolm Brown and there’s not much question about it.  John Kelly while flashing in the preseason hasn’t even been active on game days.  God forbid something happens to Gurley Brown would get the bulk of the carries and Kelly would get sprinkled in.  

Oh man, I'm having a flashback to the days when the #2 RB on the Rams got drafted every single year.

:RobertHolcombe:
:TrungCanidate:
:LamarGordon:
:ArlenHarris:

Malcolm Brown and there’s not much question about it.  John Kelly while flashing in the preseason hasn’t even been active on game days.  God forbid something happens to Gurley Brown would get the bulk of the carries and Kelly would get sprinkled in.  
Not sure it's the case here, but sometimes backups are inactive because they don't play special teams and would launch up the depth chart if the starter got hurt.

It’s Malcolm Brown. 

Kelly was the preseason darling, but Brown is the HC, and he’s a very capable back. Fluid receiver & has good vision. 

If anything (gulp, knock on wood) happens to TG, it’s Brown’s backfield. Maybe they promote Kelly as a “breather” back, which is the same way they use Brown from time to time. 

Not sure it's the case here, but sometimes backups are inactive because they don't play special teams and would launch up the depth chart if the starter got hurt.
Having watched every snap of the Rams (for decades) and being very plugged into them in the offseason I’m very sure this is the case.  

So, if you were (are) a Gurley owner who does not own Malcolm Brown (but does own Kelley), would you continue to hold on to Kelley, or cut bait ? 

HSG--no doubt that was easier to do while having Brown, but I do appreciate the advice/opinion.
Of course, but it bears relevance still.

My point is that regardless of how good he looked against future latte makers & insurance salesmen, Kelly is virtually worthless unless 2 RBs ahead of him get hurt. 

He’s a “handcuff to a handcuff, which IMO, is not worth rostering in competitive leagues. Dude isn’t even on the active roster, so there’s literally zero opportunity for points from him. 

Users who are viewing this thread