What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Guys Ready to Make "the Leap" (2 Viewers)

Michael Turner: RB, SDC - uber stud that will get more work this year spelling LT since the Chargers will run the ball more to take pressure off their young inexperienced QB. And if LT misses any time (which I think he will based on the number of carries he has compiled to date), then MT is the kind of player who could shift the balance of power in a fantasy league real quick. If you have LT, then you MUST get this guy. And if you need a RB4 or RB5 with major upside, then vulture him away from the LT owner. You won't be sorry.

Tony Scheffler: TE, DEN - I know breakout performances for rookie TE's are rare, but don't go asleep on this guy. All he has to do is beat out Stephen Alexander for the starting spot and he has been putting up good numbers in the preseason. Going real late or undrafted in most fantasy drafts.

Matt Jones, WR, JAX - I definately think he will have a big year. Maybe not the major jump in yards some people are predicting, but I think he will be a TD machine. I'm predicting 10-12 TDs for Jones this year, which will really up his ppg.

Steve McNair, QB, BAL - I think McNair will experience a renaissance in 06'. In Baltimore, he has more talent around him than he had the past several years with the Titans. He has a great connection with Mason and a big reliable outlet in Heap. Definately an upper tier QB2 with QB1 upside if the everyone stays healthy there.

I tend to disagree about Plummer for one reason - Jay Cutler.Cutler has looked great in camp; in fact, hes already claimed the backup job. If Plummer struggles at any point this year, look for Shanny to pull Jake in order to give Cutler some reps. Plummer may be good for the first 6-8 weeks of the year, but I definitely see Cutler recieiving more playing time as the season progresses. Plummer may not lose the starting job altogether, but he will certainly lose playing time throughout the year.
I don't quite understand your logic here. Whens the last time you seen coaches use a QBBC? More importantly whens the last time you seen a coach us a QBBC when they are in the middle of a playoff run, which Denver should be? The only way Cutler see the field this year is if Plummer gets hurt, they start losing a lot of games or are in a blowout game that they feel they locked up.
There are a few examples:1) First off, I think back to Eli Manning's rookie year. Kurt Warner was playing well and the Giants were playing competitve football. Still, Coughlin waited for Warner to make just one minor mistake before giving Eli the football. That was an extreme example, because the Giants actually tanked the second half of the season in order to get Eli the experience he needed. 2) When Mike Vick was a rookie in 2001, Dan Reeves would give bring him off the bench for 1-2 series at a time to expose him to the rigors of the NFL. After 10 games the Falcons were 6-4 and challenging for a playoff spot. The Falcons lose 5 of their last 6 and finished 7-9. Vick cut into Chris Chandlers playing time just enough so that he wouldnt be a succesful Fantasy QB. Vick had 1100 total yards, while Chandler had ~3000 total yards.When QB's are drafted high, they sometimes get sporadic playing time throughout their rookie year to get them upto speed. Obviosuly not all rookie QB's get playing time (Philip Rivers comes to mind). But its certainly something you have to take into consideration.
I know what your saying, but NY wasn't that productive offensive wise, thats why Warner got the hook. Vick came in sort of like K. Stewart did at first. The coaches were hoping for them to make a big play or two. Plus Reeves also knew it was a matter of time before Chandler got hurt again. The situations are totally different. Neither one of those teams were considered a favorite to make a serious playoff run. Plummer only had 7 ints last year. He didn't do anything to hurt his team. I just don't think Shanny's leash is as short as some of you guys think.

Based off under valued ADP's

Joe Horn - Hes got at least one more year to blow up i nthis offense. Best Qb hes ever had throwing to him.

Also more weapons to keep defenses legit.

Troy Williamson - He showed flashes last year and this off-seaosn he is totally off the radar. The icing on the cake is when KROB was out of the picture. Speed is not the issue he just needed to learn route running.

Nate Burleson - I've been a hater of his for awhile but hes home in seattle and I didnt relaize how young this guy was until this off-season. He has been putting in extra time with Matt and has looked damn solid in the pre-season going up against the #1 corners. If DJAX return and he moves to the 2 spot it should be easy for him to get open all season long.

Jerious Norwood - Despite the strong pre-season and TJ moving on, hes STILL under rated. News flash , Dunn cant carry the rock by himself. Look for Norwood to put up legit RB 2 numbers this season. Norwood when given the chance has the top end speed to take it for the homerun.

Tony Sheffler - Before the pre-season I wasnt so big on him, honestly I didnt knwo too much about him.

This pre-season he has been an animal, plain and simple. Hes going late as hell , most guppies dont even know hes a player in the NFL. If all the TEs are gone in your draft, take Devenr TE #1 and compete with the best on occasion through out the season.

Derrick Blaylock - Regardless of Barlow, IMO he will still wins the job. Alot of people say in KC any Rb can thrive. Well I say thats all we have to go by so I give him the benefit of the doubt. Hes got fresh legs for being in the league 6 seasons and is not only shify but powerful for his size. Hes been hurt since day one in new york but the pre-season is slowley revealing the Jets best RB option.

Antonio Bryant - 1000 yard WR #1 is going this late? Do people think his situation in clevland was any better? At worst he should repeat last years numbers. Alex Smith is shaping up in the pre-season which was my only reservation. He will exceed his ADP tremendously.

Bryant Johnson - Yeah, hes a WR 3 , but when i say sleeper here, I'm think Dynasty and I'm thinking handcuff for a redrafter owning Boldin or Fitz. This former 1st rounder has FINALLY came around. If either of the big 2 get hurt, I really think their wont be much of a drop off. Bryant Johnson has exploded this off-season and pre-season and I understand why. When you practice with Boldin and Fitz all summer , you know you were drafted before Boldin, you should be motivated to try and hang. I think hes on his way.

Reggie Williams Jax. There is a lot of love for Matt Jones and I think that is deserved, but the real value is Williams.

Based off under valued ADP'sJoe Horn - Hes got at least one more year to blow up i nthis offense. Best Qb hes ever had throwing to him. Also more weapons to keep defenses legit.Troy Williamson - He showed flashes last year and this off-seaosn he is totally off the radar. The icing on the cake is when KROB was out of the picture. Speed is not the issue he just needed to learn route running.Nate Burleson - I've been a hater of his for awhile but hes home in seattle and I didnt relaize how young this guy was until this off-season. He has been putting in extra time with Matt and has looked damn solid in the pre-season going up against the #1 corners. If DJAX return and he moves to the 2 spot it should be easy for him to get open all season long.Jerious Norwood - Despite the strong pre-season and TJ moving on, hes STILL under rated. News flash , Dunn cant carry the rock by himself. Look for Norwood to put up legit RB 2 numbers this season. Norwood when given the chance has the top end speed to take it for the homerun.Tony Sheffler - Before the pre-season I wasnt so big on him, honestly I didnt knwo too much about him.This pre-season he has been an animal, plain and simple. Hes going late as hell , most guppies dont even know hes a player in the NFL. If all the TEs are gone in your draft, take Devenr TE #1 and compete with the best on occasion through out the season.Derrick Blaylock - Regardless of Barlow, IMO he will still wins the job. Alot of people say in KC any Rb can thrive. Well I say thats all we have to go by so I give him the benefit of the doubt. Hes got fresh legs for being in the league 6 seasons and is not only shify but powerful for his size. Hes been hurt since day one in new york but the pre-season is slowley revealing the Jets best RB option.Antonio Bryant - 1000 yard WR #1 is going this late? Do people think his situation in clevland was any better? At worst he should repeat last years numbers. Alex Smith is shaping up in the pre-season which was my only reservation. He will exceed his ADP tremendously. Bryant Johnson - Yeah, hes a WR 3 , but when i say sleeper here, I'm think Dynasty and I'm thinking handcuff for a redrafter owning Boldin or Fitz. This former 1st rounder has FINALLY came around. If either of the big 2 get hurt, I really think their wont be much of a drop off. Bryant Johnson has exploded this off-season and pre-season and I understand why. When you practice with Boldin and Fitz all summer , you know you were drafted before Boldin, you should be motivated to try and hang. I think hes on his way.
very :goodposting: aside from the Blaylock pick (which may turn out to be right) i agree. I'm just staying away from the NYJ run game all together (along w/ TN).Also strongly agree w/ BJohnson take. I've got Boldin and am looking to add Johnson, but @ this point I'll need to make a trade or drop someone in a better situation to grab him off the ww. (took Cobbs to b/u M Bell vs. Johnson this week JIC). He may be this year's 04 Stokley or 05 K Curtis - and KW is already targeting him. This would of course depend on how many 3 WR sets AZ plays, but worst case he's one of the few WR "cuffs" that has VERY nice upside - in deeper leagues.

Franknbeans said:
Arm Chair Express said:
Native said:
I tend to disagree about Plummer for one reason - Jay Cutler.Cutler has looked great in camp; in fact, hes already claimed the backup job. If Plummer struggles at any point this year, look for Shanny to pull Jake in order to give Cutler some reps. Plummer may be good for the first 6-8 weeks of the year, but I definitely see Cutler recieiving more playing time as the season progresses. Plummer may not lose the starting job altogether, but he will certainly lose playing time throughout the year.
I don't quite understand your logic here. Whens the last time you seen coaches use a QBBC? More importantly whens the last time you seen a coach us a QBBC when they are in the middle of a playoff run, which Denver should be? The only way Cutler see the field this year is if Plummer gets hurt, they start losing a lot of games or are in a blowout game that they feel they locked up.
which likely means will be seeing Cutler. Seriously, Denver believes (and rightly so) that they should get to the Superbowl this year and I think Shanahan will have a very short leash for Plummer IF he starts stinking it up.
No. F'n. Way.This is a classic case of "the most popular player on the team is the backup QB". Jake Plummer is a 9 year pro with almost 30,000 career passing yards. He leads the NFL in game-winning drives, so he's proven in the clutch. He's been in a "win or go home" situation, winning 3 straight after starting 6-7 in 1998 to make the playoffs... with the ARIZONA CARDINALS. Plummer also led the Cards to the third playoff win in the history of their franchise (the first since 1964)- and remember, this franchise has been around for 86 years here.Jake Plummer was getting MVP consideration last season. Jay Cutler has never thrown a serious NFL pass. No f'n way does Plummer get the hook, no matter HOW BADLY he struggles. It is just NOT going to happen, and the whole perception that it might happen is nothing more than a fantasy by the Denver media, which has nothing better to do than to hate on the Denver QB. Plummer is easily one of the top 10 QBs in the NFL, and possibly one of the top 5. Name me *ONE* rookie QB who has ever been one of the top 5 QBs in the NFL. Not even Roethlisburger, Manning, or Marino can make that claim.The only way Cutler sees some PT is if Plummer gets hurt, or if Denver's in a blowout- and if it's a blowout, odds are Plummer already has a couple of scores, anyway.I'm pretty sure that 100% of Bronco Homers will tell you exactly the same thing.
Reggie Williams Jax. There is a lot of love for Matt Jones and I think that is deserved, but the real value is Williams.
Reggie Williams? Why would I want Jacksonville's #3 WR? If there's a sleeper on that roster, it's Ernest Wilford.

Franknbeans said:
Arm Chair Express said:
Native said:
which likely means will be seeing Cutler. Seriously, Denver believes (and rightly so) that they should get to the Superbowl this year and I think Shanahan will have a very short leash for Plummer IF he starts stinking it up.
No. F'n. Way.This is a classic case of "the most popular player on the team is the backup QB". Jake Plummer is a 9 year pro with almost 30,000 career passing yards. He leads the NFL in game-winning drives, so he's proven in the clutch. He's been in a "win or go home" situation, winning 3 straight after starting 6-7 in 1998 to make the playoffs... with the ARIZONA CARDINALS. Plummer also led the Cards to the third playoff win in the history of their franchise (the first since 1964)- and remember, this franchise has been around for 86 years here.Jake Plummer was getting MVP consideration last season. Jay Cutler has never thrown a serious NFL pass. No f'n way does Plummer get the hook, no matter HOW BADLY he struggles. It is just NOT going to happen, and the whole perception that it might happen is nothing more than a fantasy by the Denver media, which has nothing better to do than to hate on the Denver QB. Plummer is easily one of the top 10 QBs in the NFL, and possibly one of the top 5. Name me *ONE* rookie QB who has ever been one of the top 5 QBs in the NFL. Not even Roethlisburger, Manning, or Marino can make that claim.The only way Cutler sees some PT is if Plummer gets hurt, or if Denver's in a blowout- and if it's a blowout, odds are Plummer already has a couple of scores, anyway.I'm pretty sure that 100% of Bronco Homers will tell you exactly the same thing.
I'll say this. Either Jake will feel the pressure and play lights out for the Broncos this season or he'll hear the footsteps and we'll all be saying hello to Mr. Cutler. Early indications are for the former but I wouldn't bet against the latter.

I'll say this. Either Jake will feel the pressure and play lights out for the Broncos this season or he'll hear the footsteps and we'll all be saying hello to Mr. Cutler. Early indications are for the former but I wouldn't bet against the latter.
Even if he hears footsteps, we aren't seeing Cutler.You mention New York and Atlanta as examples of top draft picks getting early PT... no mention of the fact that both teams were 4-12 the season before their rookies saw some playing time. No mention of the fact that neither team was really a legitimate playoff contender, or that both teams finished with losing records (6-10 and 7-9). No mention of the fact that the two players ahead of Eli and Vick were a journeyman on a 1-year contract and another journeyman and career backup who has played for 9 teams in his 18 year career, and who only broke 3,000 yards passing ONCE (a lofty 3154 yards in 1998).If you don't see the difference between a Super Bowl Contender coming off of a 13-3 season where they hosted the AFCCG who happened to grab a QB with the 11th overall pick after not ever having a pick higher than 15th, and a horrible franchise coming off of a 4-12 season who really had no playoff hopes and who drafted a QB with the #1 overall, then there's not much I can do for you. And as for New York... well, like I said, Warner was only on a 1-year contract, and if anything, New York should serve as a perfect example why Denver SHOULDN'T play Cutler, no matter how good he looks. Check out NY's w/l record pre- and post-Kurt Warner.

Even if he hears footsteps, we aren't seeing Cutler.You mention New York and Atlanta as examples of top draft picks getting early PT... no mention of the fact that both teams were 4-12 the season before their rookies saw some playing time. No mention of the fact that neither team was really a legitimate playoff contender, or that both teams finished with losing records (6-10 and 7-9). No mention of the fact that the two players ahead of Eli and Vick were a journeyman on a 1-year contract and another journeyman and career backup who has played for 9 teams in his 18 year career, and who only broke 3,000 yards passing ONCE (a lofty 3154 yards in 1998).If you don't see the difference between a Super Bowl Contender coming off of a 13-3 season where they hosted the AFCCG who happened to grab a QB with the 11th overall pick after not ever having a pick higher than 15th, and a horrible franchise coming off of a 4-12 season who really had no playoff hopes and who drafted a QB with the #1 overall, then there's not much I can do for you. And as for New York... well, like I said, Warner was only on a 1-year contract, and if anything, New York should serve as a perfect example why Denver SHOULDN'T play Cutler, no matter how good he looks. Check out NY's w/l record pre- and post-Kurt Warner.
I never mentioned either. That was someone else.

SSOG is right. The media has turned this non-issue into something people feel the need to discuss.Cutler throws a nice ball, is intelligent, and can run. He'll be a great franchise QB.But not this year, and perhaps not next year. It really is a non-story.After the first preseason game Cutler played in, I was happy with his performance. Shanny said he did great, but made it clear Jake is the man this year. The local radio guys said the same thing. Teammates said the same thing. Cutler said the same thing.What was the headline the next day? Something to the effect of "Rookie pressures Plummer." :lmao: A reporter is making this stuff up...it's all in his mind.BTW, I'm a Bronco :homer:

SSOG is right. The media has turned this non-issue into something people feel the need to discuss.Cutler throws a nice ball, is intelligent, and can run. He'll be a great franchise QB.But not this year, and perhaps not next year. It really is a non-story.After the first preseason game Cutler played in, I was happy with his performance. Shanny said he did great, but made it clear Jake is the man this year. The local radio guys said the same thing. Teammates said the same thing. Cutler said the same thing.What was the headline the next day? Something to the effect of "Rookie pressures Plummer." :lmao: A reporter is making this stuff up...it's all in his mind.BTW, I'm a Bronco :homer:
All I am saying is winning games is what counts. If Jake starts losing them (not saying he will) I wouldn't be surprised if Cutler got the call. All I know is I've seen enough of Jake Plummer to know that him stinking it up is definitely not out of the realm of possibility. That said, he seems like a different player than the one he was in Arizona. If I'm wrong, so be it.

SSOG is right. The media has turned this non-issue into something people feel the need to discuss.Cutler throws a nice ball, is intelligent, and can run. He'll be a great franchise QB.

But not this year, and perhaps not next year. It really is a non-story.

After the first preseason game Cutler played in, I was happy with his performance. Shanny said he did great, but made it clear Jake is the man this year. The local radio guys said the same thing. Teammates said the same thing. Cutler said the same thing.

What was the headline the next day? Something to the effect of "Rookie pressures Plummer." :lmao: A reporter is making this stuff up...it's all in his mind.

BTW, I'm a Bronco :homer:
All I am saying is winning games is what counts. If Jake starts losing them (not saying he will) I wouldn't be surprised if Cutler got the call. All I know is I've seen enough of Jake Plummer to know that him stinking it up is definitely not out of the realm of possibility. That said, he seems like a different player is on a better team than the one he was in Arizona. If I'm wrong, so be it.
Fixed.Point taken though. If Plummer were to completely implode, I could see Cutler getting playing time. I've not seen any indications of a complete implosion since Jake put on orange and blue though. Predicting one at this point seems to be reaching pretty far.

Last edited by a moderator:
SSOG is right. The media has turned this non-issue into something people feel the need to discuss.Cutler throws a nice ball, is intelligent, and can run. He'll be a great franchise QB.

But not this year, and perhaps not next year. It really is a non-story.

After the first preseason game Cutler played in, I was happy with his performance. Shanny said he did great, but made it clear Jake is the man this year. The local radio guys said the same thing. Teammates said the same thing. Cutler said the same thing.

What was the headline the next day? Something to the effect of "Rookie pressures Plummer." :lmao: A reporter is making this stuff up...it's all in his mind.

BTW, I'm a Bronco :homer:
All I am saying is winning games is what counts. If Jake starts losing them (not saying he will) I wouldn't be surprised if Cutler got the call. All I know is I've seen enough of Jake Plummer to know that him stinking it up is definitely not out of the realm of possibility. That said, he seems like a different player is on a better team than the one he was in Arizona. If I'm wrong, so be it.
Fixed.Point taken though. If Plummer were to completely implode, I could see Cutler getting playing time. I've not seen any indications of a complete implosion since Jake put on orange and blue though. Predicting one at this point seems to be reaching pretty far.
Thanks for taking my point. I didn't predict it. I was just sayin'. It seems others have pointed out that the only way Cutler would get a shot was due to injury or if the Broncos were up by a lot late in the game. I disagreed was all. I'll hand it to you Broncos fans though, you sure do know how to circle the wagons. :football:

Talk about a gross overreaction. I never said that Cutler would TAKE OVER the job from Plummer. If I were a head coach of a super bowl contender, I wouldnt put my rookie QB in a situation where he could LOSE the game for us either. HOWEVER, I would definitely give him give some looks when the time presented itself. And during the course of the year, there will be inevitably be "safe" times when Shanahan decides to see how Cutler reacts in a game situation. And Im not only talking about blowouts in the late fourth Quarter. I dont even want to get into the Denver boo-birds that have a fickle relationship with Plummer, which is unjustified imo. Still, those things may play a role in this situation as well.

Steelers4Life said:
My #1 "sleeper" is Kevan Barlow, and I think he's providing excellent value right now. I have him in both of my dynasty leagues as my RB4/5, and I drafted him as my RB4 in my only redraft league.Consider this:On a 2004 49er squad with no talent at QB or WR and a terrible offensive line, he managed just over 1,000 total yards and 7 TDs. The only reason this was viewed as a disappointment is because of the high expectation that people had for him based on the previous year. However, the loss of Owens, Garcia, and 60% of the offensive line ruined any chances he had for success.No matter how bad you think the Jets offense will be this year, they'll be better than the 2004 49ers.So, now he'll be playing for a team with a better QB, more threats at WR, and a better offensive line than the 2004 49ers. He'll be playing with a chip on his shoulder, and he still has the same talent that made him successfull in 2003.It may take a week or three before he takes over the full-time role, but he will. And he's got more than enough talent to take advantage of it. If he can go 1,000-7 on the 2004 49ers, his cieling on this year's Jets is a good bit higher.
On the basis of sheer opportunity, I agree that Barlow is excellent value at RB4. I think is upside is pretty limited though. I've seen a fair bit of his play while on my roster the last 2 years, and he isn't nearly as talented IMO as his early-career success may have indicated. I see below-average vision in him and he doesn't break many tackles - a deadly combo.

God now that I think about it... you're right about Plummer being set up for a breakout. I really wish I hadn't passed on him and taken Brees later. Might have been a big mistake.Why didn't you post this a week ago?I don't really agree with the other ones though. I think we see a time-share in Chicago because Benson is a talented runner making a lot of money and is no longer a rookie. He should be back pretty soon. Lee Evans is excellent but inconsistent with Losman at the helm, and there is no way Wiggins comes close to top five, not with such TE's as Witten, Cooley, LJ Smith and Ben Watson in the mix. Wiggins doesn't have a tenth of the talent those players do.
Wiggins looks as if he isn't athletic as some but that's more because of his physique than anything else. What Wiggins does just as good as the best Tight Ends in the NFL is he creates separation from the linebackers. While I don't believe he is Top 5 he is definately between 7-10 and will be undervalued this year just like in years past.

Wiggins looks as if he isn't athletic as some but that's more because of his physique than anything else. What Wiggins does just as good as the best Tight Ends in the NFL is he creates separation from the linebackers. While I don't believe he is Top 5 he is definately between 7-10 and will be undervalued this year just like in years past.
I think wiggins excels at finding holes in the zone and sitting down. He's not creating any separation with his well below average speed.Listen, I think the guy is a nice safety outlet, but his upside is dirt. 550 yards and 4 TD, IMO

I think wiggins excels at finding holes in the zone and sitting down. He's not creating any separation with his well below average speed.Listen, I think the guy is a nice safety outlet, but his upside is dirt. 550 yards and 4 TD, IMO
He's gotten more yards than that in both of the last 2 seasons, and this year he stands to get even more because he's playing with a weak-armed QB and no other passing threats.The guy's golden in PPR leagues. Insanely consistant. He had 3+ receptions in 13 of 16 games last year, and 13 of 14 games the season before. He's led the Vikes in receptions for two straight seasons now. His pro-rated 2004 numbers were 81/805/4.6. Not a big TD threat (he's scored in 4 of 30 games over the last two years), but his reception totals are phenominal.

B-I-N-G-O and Cutler was his name-o

Users who are viewing this thread