What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Handling Looters (2 Viewers)

Maybe.  Or maybe the guy you arrested tries to get away and you tackle him and suddenly there's a viral video of you  and your name, going around the internet causing outrage.  Or worse, the people fight back. 

Sure in your situation with 10 cops and under 200 people that's one thing, but where do you draw the line of 'how many people around' is too many to arrest someone?
you signed up for the job, comes with the territory, pick and choose your battles obviously.  you have to make arrests for looting IMO, especially easy targets to make a point.   A white woman looter ran right by a cop and basically ran right into the NBC cameraman filming.   Pretty easy target right there and she deserved to be arrested.

MNPLS choose to let a police station burn down of all things. They could have and should have stopped that.  I think that sent a clear message right there its a free for all until further notice.

Why was there looting and violence in Miami?  The mayor is Republican.  Did he miss a memo?   
 Miami-Dade County has voted for the Democratic Party candidate in most of the presidential elections in the past four decades, and has gone Democratic in every election since 1992.

So, Miami is made up mostly of Democrats.  Probably 99%

Last edited by a moderator:
 Miami-Dade County has voted for the Democratic Party candidate in most of the presidential elections in the past four decades, and has gone Democratic in every election since 1992.
But the governor is republican, why is Trump mad at governors then?

So, Miami is made up mostly of Democrats.  Probably 99%
But you said the problem is Democratic mayors.   Was their mayor just not Republican enough?   

I read an article that more than 1400 protest arrests have been made and now can't find it

Even in my medium sized town of Knoxville, we've had people in our downtown Market Square doing this to a local restaurant. Doesn't look like any real damage but kind of scary.

https://twitter.com/Knoxville_PD/status/1267187467796520960?s=20

My son lives close to the UT campus and there were lots of cars spray painted and vandalized near him. 
Also...your mayor would kick those kids...well, you know.  (For those that don't know, former wrestler Kane is the mayor of Knoxville)

Murfreesboro had issues too last night after a peaceful rally earlier.

So, what percentage of the riots are happening in Democratic run cities?
100% of protests in cities with Republican mayors are happening in Republican run cities.   Why is that?
Trying to avoid this conversation since it's happened a few times already but did want to highlight this.

Hopefully we can end this "This is what you get for voting for Dems" stuff.

Even in my medium sized town of Knoxville, we've had people in our downtown Market Square doing this to a local restaurant. Doesn't look like any real damage but kind of scary.

My son lives close to the UT campus and there were lots of cars spray painted and vandalized near him. 
There were some smaller scale looting in a few suburbs of Seattle as well last night. Zero to do with any protest. Straight up theft done by people taking advantage of the situation. No grey area here.

Lots of cell phone footage out there. As @Mookie alluded to upthread they need to go through all this footage later after things have cooled off and arrest these people. Serious low lifes here.

I'll say this...

I see a LOT of smiling/joyous faces of folks running out of stores with stolen goods. I have seen tons of comment threads about folks cheering and celebrating "gettin free stuff" on social media. Those people are not grieving... they are opportunistic criminals. We need to reach a point where there is no stigma in identifying that difference. 

There is a genuine side to these protests... those people need to be able to vent and be heard. We need our leaders to acknowledge that openly and express that there will be action/change. 

There is also a subset of protesters who are purely there to commit violence. Be it because they enjoy the chance to tear things up.... because they enjoy stealing things without repercussions.... or perhaps they have more nefarious intent (destabilize government / increase tensions / incite violent clashes with law enforcement). 

We need to provide a means for the first group to march, cry, vent, and be heard, but we also need to identify and arrest the people in the second group. Until we do both, this is going to continue to get worse... and we're  going to see some citizens/officers badly hurt and likely killed. 

People slapfighting over Republic/Democrat are part of the problem, too. This is not a time for partisan bull####. 

Sorry to see that. What are they throwing?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say those may be college students or... maybe who knows, but not BLM.

JohnnyU said:
Shut down the cell towers in these areas and people will go home.
Illegal as hell I believe. Citizens count on mobile service for emergency and other critical services.

This is Not the answer. 

Not to mention Ad-Hoc / Mesh networks could be pretty easily established. 

I'd be behind an significant enhancing of penalties for those found guilty of arson or similar acts of unnecessary violence.... Escalate egregious offenses to 1st Degree Felony Arson which carries 25yrs to life sentence. 

Folks trying to burn civil or historic buildings under these circumstances is domestic terrorism simply unacceptable. 

Yeah... That's not okay either. 

But thankfully 99.9% of the time a team's fans are not looters, arsonists, and vandals. 

What do you think that % is for Antifa? 

Yeah... That's not okay either. 

But thankfully 99.9% of the time a team's fans are not looters, arsonists, and vandals. 

What do you think that % is for Antifa? 

Well i think 99% of the protesters out there are not looters, arsonists and vandals is the correct answer.  

Well i think 99% of the protesters out there are not looters, arsonists and vandals is the correct answer.  
If your argument with your first post was to imply Antifa isn't that bad, I couldn't disagree more. 

If your argument was to show that not all protesters are looters/arsonists/Antifa, then you did a bad job, IMO. 

If your argument with your first post was to imply Antifa isn't that bad, I couldn't disagree more. 

If your argument was to show that not all protesters are looters/arsonists/Antifa, then you did a bad job, IMO. 
My argument all along is that the protesters have a very strong point and 99% of them are good people doing the right thing. 

You figured it out so it didn't go that bad :)

My argument all along is that the protesters have a very strong point and 99% of them are good people doing the right thing. 

You figured it out so it didn't go that bad :)
The looters and vandals are taking advantage of a sad situation.  If every person looting or causing mayhen disappeared form this planet, the world would be a better place.  My guess is for most of them this isn't the first time they've stolen or caused problems.  Same story as always ...  95% of the problems by a small portion of the people.  Most of them are vandalizing businesses that the black community needs.  You think Walmart is going back to Anacostia DC after this?  You think people will work at a CVS in East St Louis?   Arrests, tear gas, whatever it takes to bring the looters and vandals down.  They don't care one bit about George Floyd or anyone.  They care about stealing shoes and purses and beer and clothing and... whatever

The looters and vandals are taking advantage of a sad situation.  If every person looting or causing mayhen disappeared form this planet, the world would be a better place.  My guess is for most of them this isn't the first time they've stolen or caused problems.  Same story as always ...  95% of the problems by a small portion of the people.  Most of them are vandalizing businesses that the black community needs.  You think Walmart is going back to Anacostia DC after this?  You think people will work at a CVS in East St Louis?   Arrests, tear gas, whatever it takes to bring the looters and vandals down.  They don't care one bit about George Floyd or anyone.  They care about stealing shoes and purses and beer and clothing and... whatever
Exactly and that was my point of bringing up the sports riots.  Nobody is calling for the army to round up all eagles fans.  

Exactly and that was my point of bringing up the sports riots.  Nobody is calling for the army to round up all eagles fans.  
Then you took my post wrong or I wrote it poorly since I was trying not to get banned.  Cause what I would suggest the police do with the looters in this case and in the case of Eagles fans cannot be put in a post without me being banned.  As I said, the world would be a better place without them on the planet.  Not the protestors, that's fine.  But the looters, the world is better without them

Then you took my post wrong or I wrote it poorly since I was trying not to get banned.  Cause what I would suggest the police do with the looters in this case and in the case of Eagles fans cannot be put in a post without me being banned.  As I said, the world would be a better place without them on the planet.  Not the protestors, that's fine.  But the looters, the world is better without them
I think I read it right and I agree.  

Do you think after this is all over that businesses will install unbreakable glass on their store front and door?

Do you think after this is all over that businesses will install unbreakable glass on their store front and door?
https://glassdoctor.com/blog/is-there-such-a-thing-as-unbreakable-glass

A question we often receive at Glass Doctor® is, “Is there such a thing as unbreakable glass?” The answer is, “Yes!” Sort of.

We’re here to tell you that glass isn’t really unbreakable, but there are two popular window materials that are marketed as “unbreakable” that help keep your home and family safe from broken shards and break-ins.

No such thing as unbreakable glass. You could install break-resistant laminated glass, but the cost-benefit wouldn't be worthwhile.

killface said:
i think a lot of people would actually disagree with that...

but back to the main point, icon laid it out pretty well:

-there are a lot of legitimate protestors 

-there are a number of people who just seem to want to cause violence wholly unrelated to the purpose of the protest

The second group should be vilified and dealt with harshly.  Full stop.  No need to intermingle what group they are a part of it or how they relate to the protesters.  They are criminals.

Most people calling for a stop to the looting recognize that there are many legitimate protesters and that they should obviously be allowed to voice their opinion and not have a peeceable demonstration attacked.

As for how to handle, it is going to take a serious coordinated effort across locales and across intelligence gathering operations. And strategic police forces.

No such thing as unbreakable glass. You could install break-resistant laminated glass, but the cost-benefit wouldn't be worthwhile.
Wouldn't be worthwhile?  I would think losing everything is worse than the cost of installing something that can't be broken.

Wouldn't be worthwhile?  I would think losing everything is worse than the cost of installing something that can't be broken.
Break-resistant laminated glass is about 3x the cost of regular glass. And all it does is slow down intruders, it doesn't stop them. And you still have replace the glass after it gets hit because it leaves those unsightly "rock chips" in the glass.

As a business owner, I've looked into the cost of upgrading everything to turn my business into an impenetrable compound, but the cost was more than the value of the items inside. It's far more cost-efficient to deal with the threat through insurance.

Break-resistant laminated glass is about 3x the cost of regular glass. And all it does is slow down intruders, it doesn't stop them. And you still have replace the glass after it gets hit because it leaves those unsightly "rock chips" in the glass.

As a business owner, I've looked into the cost of upgrading everything to turn my business into an impenetrable compound, but the cost was more than the value of the items inside. It's far more cost-efficient to deal with the threat through insurance.
...or it's far more cost efficient to guard your business with an AR-15.

ETA:  Oh wait, didn't NY Democrats take that right away from its citizens?

...or it's far more cost efficient to guard your business with an AR-15.
No, not really. This is a pretty ignorant thing to say, actually. "Stand your ground" laws are effective against threats against my life, but not so much against the walls of my building.

If I shoot and kill someone because they broke a window, the consequences would be far more damaging to my life than an insurance deductible.

No, not really. This is a pretty ignorant thing to say, actually. "Stand your ground" laws are effective against threats against my life, but not so much against the walls of my building.

If I shoot and kill someone because they broke a window, the consequences would be far more damaging to my life than an insurance deductible.
Really?  I'm pretty sure no jury would convict someone protecting SELF and property from looters.  I'm reading about several instances today.  No charges will be filed and if they are, no jury would convict.  

Users who are viewing this thread