What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Has Shaun Alexander gone crazy? (1 Viewer)

fridayfrenzy

Footballguy
ALEXANDER WANTS MONSTER DEAL

The early scuttlebutt coming out of Indy is that running back Shaun Alexander is looking for a contract with $22 million in guaranteed money and a total value of $80 million.

Sorry, Shaun, but it aint' gonna happen.

It would be the biggest running back contract in league history, eclipsing the contract signed in 2005 by Chargers tailback LaDainian Tomlinson. L.T. received $20 million in guaranteed money as part of an eight-year, $60 million package.

The problem is that the market for free agent running backs -- especially those on the wrong side of age 25 -- doesn't support that kind of investment, even for a guy who was the league MVP and who broke the single-season touchdown record.

More than ever, running backs are regarded as fungible. Only a guy with truly rare skills, like a Barry Sanders or a Jim Brown-type talent, would be able to get the kind of deal that Alexander supposedly wants.

The Carolina Panthers might have caught wind of Alexander's financial expectations, since they unexpectedly applied the transition tag to running back DeShaun Foster on Thursday. Because the Panthers generally are expected to make a run at Alexander, having the right of first refusal as to Foster will give the Panthers some protection in the event that Alexander's price tag doesn't get a lot more reasonable.

And contrary to the wire report posted at NFL.com, Foster isn't automatically "guaranteed" $5.13 million for 2006. For transition players, the one-year tender only becomes guaranteed at the start of the regular season; until then, the team can remove the transition tag at any time, and instantly free up the cap room. Thus, if the Panthers are at some point close to striking a deal with Alexander, all they need to do is revoke the tag as to Foster, and they'll have an extra $5.13 million in 2006 cap dollars to work with.

Under the franchise and transition rules, the money only becomes guaranteed for franchise players who sign the tender. Also, and as the Chargers recently realized, a transition tender becomes guaranteed if (and only if) the transition tag is used on a guy who accepted the franchise tender in the prior season.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he really just wants to test the free agent market and is going to set a high enough price that he is sure Seattle isn't going to pay.

I think this is going to be a poker game.

it'll be another deal where he feels disrespected by Seattle and their 'lowball' offers, and he'll complain about it publicly and cry out loud, and eventually he'll wind up signing elsewhere for less...lol..seems to happen all the time..guys complain about deals, then inexplicably,take a deal from a team for less than the one they were already offered...

you didn't think he was REALLY hurt when he sat out of the pro bowl did ya? lol

he had a 'sprained foot', which translated from Greek , it means 'agent wants big payday from commission of your new blockbuster contract you're about to be offered, we can't afford you getting hurt in a meaningless game'. what a tool SA is...did you really think he was concussed in the playoff game? nah..

:lmao:

I can't wait to be rid of this guy. :angry:
beware what you wish fori'm not saying he's worth that demand, but he's a much better player than many give him credit for

Negotiation 101.

Why is anyone surprised? He's trying to get as much as possible...maybe from Seattle, maybe elsewhere.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the source of this rumor ProFootballTalk? Well, the source of it in print anyway? I kind of take everything from PFT with a grain of salt. Rumors are just that, rumors, and some sites are more apt to print rumors that they have little to nothing to confirmm

That being said, that is a lot of money and I don't think that Alexander has the same kind of talent that LT has. That's not saying that SA isn't very good, but he has benefitted from a fantastic line.

I do find the "wrong side of 25" statement a little strange though. I'm not sure that I've ever heard 25 used as anything meaningful for RBs. 30 years is almost always the standard used for when age starts to catch up with RBs.

beware what you wish fori'm not saying he's worth that demand, but he's a much better player than many give him credit for
:no: I disagree. He's a pretty good back, but his success is largely a product of the system. 10 other backs in this league would be just as good in that system.

I do find the "wrong side of 25" statement a little strange though. I'm not sure that I've ever heard 25 used as anything meaningful for RBs. 30 years is almost always the standard used for when age starts to catch up with RBs.
I agree. It seems like people are searching for negative things to say about SA, because there in nothing there that is clear to the eye.And as far as average career length goes for normal NFL RBs...wouldn't it be more germain to the use the fact that the average career length of HOF RBs is over 11 years when discussing SA's future?

30 may be the age that most RBs start to fall off their prodution, but teams just aren't going to extend a huge, long-term deal to a RB who will be 29 this season.

So did the Panthers Tag Foster to scare Alexander?

Nice, should be interesting to watch....
THEY WILL NOT SIGN SHAUN ALEXANDER OR PURSUE HIM.This has been easily refuted simply because of the Panthers' cap room.

Also, consider this.

Let's say today is the start of Free Agency, and the Seahawks now have no RB.

Tell me a team that makes more sense than Seattle to sign him.

1) Lots and lots and lots of cap room.

2) Maybe the Best OL/FB in football.

3) Pro Bowl QB

4) Rising Defense

5) Easy division = guaranteed playoff spot

6) HUGE need for RB.

7) Should definitely be competing for Super Bowl for the next few years, at least on paper.

No other prospective team/situation even comes close. He will definitely be a Seahawk.

This entire game is all about how much money he can get to stay.

Last edited:

THEY WILL NOT SIGN SHAUN ALEXANDER OR PURSUE HIM.This has been easily refuted simply because of the Panthers' cap room.
so you have first-hand knowledge of whether the CBA will go through raising the cap from around $90 million to around $100 million? I do wish you'd share.

so you have first-hand knowledge of whether the CBA will go through raising the cap from around $90 million to around $100 million? I do wish you'd share.
If the CBA is not renewed, half of the teams in the NFL will be completely ####ed in the ### this year by prorated bonuses and etc etc etc, and no one will have any money to spend on free agents.As such, the CBA is just as likely to raise the cap next year by $10M as I am to gain 1,000 yards rushing in Denver next year.

Although it really should get a lot more exploration than it has, we would like to think as idealists regarding the cap, because otherwise there is no fun for anyone.

If there is one crazy team here that will sign him to that deal it's the Colts, who seem to be the only team embracing the growing likelihood that there won't be a cap.

Last edited:

Are you implying if local revenue is included in the shared revenue (current debate among owners) and the salary cap does go up by $10 million, do you really think Shaun Alexander would not increase his pricetag as well?

We should not be surprised to see SA looking for the largest contract for a RB ever. Not that I agree with this but think about his perspective. LT has a huge deal but has never won the rushing title, or scored more than 20 TD's.

SA missed the title by 1 yard last year and broke the single season rushing TD record this year. He put his team on his back and took them to the Superbowl. LT has only been in the playoffs once (I think).

Like I say I don't think he's worth it but I can see why he thinks he is.

Why would anybody eagerly anticipate losing the best player on their team?
Players more important than Alexander on the Hawks...-Matt Hasselbeck

-Steve Hutchison

-Walter Jones

-Lofa Tatupu

Just cause he had gaudy stats does not make him the best player on the team.

We should not be surprised to see SA looking for the largest contract for a RB ever. Not that I agree with this but think about his perspective. LT has a huge deal but has never won the rushing title, or scored more than 20 TD's.

SA missed the title by 1 yard last year and broke the single season rushing TD record this year. He put his team on his back and took them to the Superbowl. LT has only been in the playoffs once (I think).

You facts may be right, but it takes more than a running back to make it to the big dance. Besides, wasn't SA a no show in one of the playoff games and SEA won anyway? He performed well in the Bowl, but in the playoffs?

Seattle showed they could win without him (IE vs 'Skins in playoffs). If they pay this aging RB a ton of money, then they are plain ol stupid. ShaunA has 2 good yrs left and that is it! I wonder how well he would have done behind a poor OL...I think he's talented, but much of his yards are due to his superior OL.

Save your money Seattle and get some young fresh legs to run the ball for you!

You facts may be right, but it takes more than a running back to make it to the big dance. Besides, wasn't SA a no show in one of the playoff games and SEA won anyway? He performed well in the Bowl, but in the playoffs?
Alexander is the one who benefits the most from the best OL in football by putting up those stats. Think about this.....Alexander had FOUR of his blockers go to the Pro Bowl this year (Jones, Hutch, Strong and Tobeck).

Playing behind 4 Pro Bowl blockers would be a dream for any RB. By playing behind that OL and getting those stats, it does not mean he should bethe one who is personally rewarded, and hence the problem.

Alexander is asking for money based on his stats and accolades, which are a by-product of the blockers ahead of him. Seattle is offering money based on his skill and probably similar to what most other NFL teams would offer.

Alexander is the one who benefits the most from the best OL in football by putting up those stats. Think about this.....Alexander had FOUR of his blockers go to the Pro Bowl this year (Jones, Hutch, Strong and Tobeck).

Playing behind 4 Pro Bowl blockers would be a dream for any RB. By playing behind that OL and getting those stats, it does not mean he should bethe one who is personally rewarded, and hence the problem.

Alexander is asking for money based on his stats and accolades, which are a by-product of the blockers ahead of him. Seattle is offering money based on his skill and probably similar to what most other NFL teams would offer.
:goodposting:

I guess FF owners didn't learn the true NFL value of RBs last year when no team stepped up and gave a 2nd rounder for Edge or SA last year.

SA is primarily a product of the system. I own him in one league and pray that he stays in SEA, although CAR wouldn't be too bad.

P.S. I thought I read that CAR was going to restructure some deals (mainly Peppers) to get cap room.

I guess FF owners didn't learn the true NFL value of RBs last year when no team stepped up and gave a 2nd rounder for Edge or SA last year.

SA is primarily a product of the system. I own him in one league and pray that he stays in SEA, although CAR wouldn't be too bad.

P.S. I thought I read that CAR was going to restructure some deals (mainly Peppers) to get cap room.
:goodposting:

As a Mo Mo owner, I'd love for SA to insist on this. I know its a stretch that they won't sign someone else, but its enough to give me hope. :banned:

He is nt worth that kind of money.

He is a good player but soft . And unfortunately no leadership whatever .

No team will win a super bowl with him.

:no: I disagree. He's a pretty good back, but his success is largely a product of the system. 10 other backs in this league would be just as good in that system.
:goodposting: I would like to add that 5-7 of the current FA RB's could do a comparable job in this system.

How about a reality check - assuming there is no new CBA, the most SA could get is 30% more than he made this year - even if someone is willing to pay a lot.

I don't think Carolina has cap problems as severe as one posted referred to and are likely to do some cuts anyway. There are people in the organization who would like to have Alexander and Foster both.

I am sure Maurice Morris was glad to read SA's demands.

Why would anybody eagerly anticipate losing the best player on their team?
Players more important than Alexander on the Hawks...-Matt Hasselbeck

-Steve Hutchison

-Walter Jones

-Lofa Tatupu

Just cause he had gaudy stats does not make him the best player on the team.
I'd add Marcus Trufant to that list.

CA 7, money used for Foster, possibly as he was tagged.
I don't follow the cap but my understanding is that may not matter if CAR really wants Alexander
ESPN Insider reports the Panthers' offseason moves hinge on the restructuring of DE Julius Peppers' contract. Carolina will look to add an explosive receiver opposite All Pro Steve Smith, and the Vikings' Koren Robinson is said to be a target. However, Peppers' cap number is around $15 million and the Panthers reportedly won't be able to do anything until that number is reduced.
Foster is wearing the transition tag currently, which would project his salary to be $5.13 million (the average of the top-paid ten RBs) for 2006. However, the Panthers do have the option of revoking the tag if they were to go after Shaun Alexander. Revoking the tag would clear $5.13 million under the salary cap.
I am sure there are penalties for revoking the tag as well :unsure:

it'll be another deal where he feels disrespected by Seattle and their 'lowball' offers, and he'll complain about it publicly and cry out loud, and eventually he'll wind up signing elsewhere for less...lol..seems to happen all the time..guys complain about deals, then inexplicably,take a deal from a team for less than the one they were already offered...

you didn't think he was REALLY hurt when he sat out of the pro bowl did ya? lol

he had a 'sprained foot', which translated from Greek , it means 'agent wants big payday from commission of your new blockbuster contract you're about to be offered, we can't afford you getting hurt in a meaningless game'. what a tool SA is...did you really think he was concussed in the playoff game? nah..

:lmao:
The Pro Bowl should be ended immediately, it is by far the worst Pro All Star game (with NBA quickly catching up). If I were in Alexanders shoes I would have sat out of that game too. Lets remember, football is a contact sport, and it only takes a little thing to suffer a catastrophic injury. Alexander was smart in this regard.And lets not forget - Shaun Alexander is the best running back in the NFL. He piled up unbelievable stats despite sitting out portions of several gams due to blowouts. The reason Alexander won't get an unbelievable deal is not because of his skill set, it's about his age. He will still do very nicely.

This thread borders on rediculous at times.

Product of the system, overrated, locker room cancer, soft....

This guy cant get a break. Believe that many other RBs could do as well as Shaun on this team, but until I see it over a period of years like Shaun has done, I just dont believe it. This guy was a 1st round pick and has increased his production over the last 4 years, and has a nose for the endzone that not many RBs in the league have. You cant just plug any RB in there and expect to get the same numbers. Good numbers? Yes. Insane numbers like Shaun? I doubt it.

I think Alexander is one of the most talented RBs in the league and I have enjoyed watching him play since his days at Alabama. But I also think he's dooming himself to disappointment if he seriously believes that he's gonna command that kind of contract.

The NFL is all about "bang for the buck."

C'mon, Seahawk... Alexander is more than just a "pretty good back". He's an *extremely* gifted player, big, quick, with uncanny vision. And it goes witout saying that he's an animal in the redzone. Plus, he's intelligent, plays hard, and from what I''ve seen is a good citizen and a stand up guy. He's missed maybe one game in his NFL career.

Jeez, you just got to the Superbowl and now you're anxious to dump the best RB in the history of your franchise?

Objectively, Edgerrin James is the only available free agent RB who's at Alexander's talent level. So sure, go ahead and sign Edge if you want, but he's not gonna outproduce Alexander's numbers. Plus, he won't be cheap either, and don't forget he's played three more seasons than SA.

As for these other FA's on the market, it'd be a huge roll of the dice to suppose that Seattle can just plug in any ol' RB and get anything close to the production Alexander has been dishing out over the past few seasons. The tread on Ahman Green's tires has all but worn through. Michael Bennett? I don't care if you had Walter Jones, Steve Hutchinson, AND Jerry Kramer blocking for the guy, Bennett can't carry Alexander's shoes. Or maybe you want Jamal "I've done my stretch in The Joint and now I'm Fat and Slow" Lewis. Good luck.

Or maybe you SA haters out there actually believe that MoMo (who BTW only weighs 200 lbs) is gonna carry the ball over 400 times and bang out 2,000 yards and 30 TDs!? This is a pipe dream, my friend.

I sincerely doubt there are "10 other backs in this league" who could put up Shaun Alexander-type numbers, and as for the handful who probably could (LaDaniain, Tiki Barber, Rudi Johnson, maybe two or three other guys), the fact is that they're not available.

In short, RBs of Shaun Alexander's caliber don't grow on trees. Seattle has a window of opportunity to get back to the Superbowl, but it won't be open for long and the wrong move to replace SA could be a *huge* setback for the Seahawk franchise.

Is Shaun Alexander asking for more $ than he can get? Yes. And he and his agent probably quite aware that he won't get those kind of dollars. It's all part of the negotiation process. But the best thing for both Alexander and the Seahawks would be that they work something out. As a fan you should recognize that, and like others have stated, be careful what you wish for.

BTW, in five seasons since taking over as the Seahawks starter Shaun Alexander has rushed for more than *7,500* yards, and tacked on almost 1,400 yards more in receiving yardage.

He has reached the endzone an astounding 89 times.

Who exactly are these "5-7 other FA's" who could have matched these Canton-type numbers?

BTW, in five seasons since taking over as the Seahawks starter Shaun Alexander has rushed for more than *7,500* yards, and tacked on almost 1,400 yards more in receiving yardage.

He has reached the endzone an astounding 89 times.

Who exactly are these "5-7 other FA's" who could have matched these Canton-type numbers?
Do you think Alexander would have anything close to those numbers if he didn't play in Seattle??The fact is that Seattle has the best O-line and FB in the NFL, and there are plenty of RBs who could put up great numbers playing behind 4 pro bowl blockers.

Of course, Alexander is a skilled RB and thats why they are a great match and have put up astronomical numbers, but don't think for a second that Seattle will have no running game or that they won't be able to put the ball into the end zone without Alexander.

By having one of the best offenses, best O-line and best systems to play in, a RB will flourish in Seattle, whether his name is Shaun Alexander or not. Alexander did not rush for 1800 yards by his lonesome, so why does he think he gets to be the one making all the coin off of his personal accolades?

If Alexander signs elsewhere, Seattle woudl have the chance to bring in a RB more fit for the WCO and who could probably put up just as many all-purpose yards as Alexander. Alexander was a liability in the passing game.

You have to play the opportunity cost game with Alexander.....

Whats better for the Hawks? Paying a boat load for Alexander and getting 1800 yards or paying a lot less and getting 1400 yards rushing and being able to strengthen the team in other areas?

Do you think Alexander would have anything close to those numbers if he didn't play in Seattle??
Or maybe Seattle wouldnt have 4 pro-bowl linemen if they didnt have Shaun Alexander running for them. Chicken or the Egg. Bottom line is Alexander has been nothing short of phenominal and he should cash in. You think if he was underperforming the Seahawks would keep him around out of loyalty? Hah.

It is so fun to pile on Alexander. Seattle will miss him. Bank on it. anyone who thinks the hawks can plug someone in and get alexander's numbers is kidding themselves.

Users who are viewing this thread