What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hasbro makes Mr. Potato Head gender neutral (4 Viewers)

I'm pretty conservative but I don't think I know a single anti-trans person.
I’m sorry, that was a dumb term for me to use.  I was using it as sort of like “anti- the trans policy agenda” or something but I can see how the most obvious understanding would be “anti-trans people.”  I didn’t intend to imply that any poster here harbors animus towards any trans person, I apologize if anyone took it that way.  I’ll figure out a better way to convey what I mean.

Too late. Spuds got the corporate axe years ago. Kids found him too cute and there was concern this might encourage underage alcohol consumption. 
Pretty sure I had a couple shirts back in the day.  I am guessing I was about Middle School age.   

Does it seem a little silly to me?  Yes.  Do I care what a private company decides to call its product?  Absolutely not.  I didn't care about Aunt Jemima and I don't care about this.

Seems like those that are most concerned about freedom have very strong opinions on what Hasbro decides to call its product.  Hasbro has the freedom to call their product whatever they want.  You have the freedom to buy it or not.  

But the same can be said.  Why does anyone who supports the move care what Hasbro calls the plastic toy?  

If it's such a silly thing to care about--then it's a silly thing to care about on all sides.
In the 47 years of my life I never heard anyone on the left object to the fact that there were toys called Mr. Potato Head and Mrs. Potato Head.  On the single day that Hasbro made the announcement last week, dozens of right wing pundits and publications decided that the issue was worthy of intense hand wringing.  Both sides are not equally silly here.

this was a brilliant move by hasbro i mean who really gave a rip about senor potato head no one but now look at all the brochachos having a three page discussion about a ridiculous toy i bet sales go up as a result too well played hasbro well played take that to the bank bromigos 

Last edited by a moderator:
In the 47 years of my life I never heard anyone on the left object to the fact that there were toys called Mr. Potato Head and Mrs. Potato Head.  On the single day that Hasbro made the announcement last week, dozens of right wing pundits and publications decided that the issue was worthy of intense hand wringing.  Both sides are not equally silly here.
Maybe no one ever complained about it.  Or maybe Hasbro has gotten complaints.  

OR 

Maybe Hasbro has observed a world critical of assigning binary gender to everything and felt pressured to be pro-active.  

If we weren't in a society that isn't constantly offended over everything--then this wouldn't have come about

OR 

Maybe Hasbro has observed a world critical of assigning binary gender to everything and felt pressured to be pro-active.  

If we weren't in a society that isn't constantly offended over everything--then this wouldn't have come about
Are you talking about the people offended that Hasbro is refreshing a 70-year-old product line?

I promise you - more people are offended by "Potato Head" than "Mr. Potato Head".  I agree that people are too sensitive but I think we differ on who the delicate offended are.

Are you talking about the people offended that Hasbro is refreshing a 70-year-old product line?

I promise you - more people are offended by "Potato Head" than "Mr. Potato Head".  I agree that people are too sensitive but I think we differ on who the delicate offended are.
Hilarious how often this is the case.

OR 

This exchange kinds of reads like...

Red:  I can't believe you guys are so offended at this!
Blue:  Literally none of us are offended.
Red:  Then why'd you bring it up?
Blue:  We didn't, you did.
Red:  Well, it never would have happened if you weren't so offended at other stuff!

I assume in the 3 pages of reactions someone has actually read the artical and pointed out that the actual toy names are not changing.  They will still be called Mr Potato Head and Mrs Potato Head, it is just name of the type of toy that is changing.   So now you go to the Potato Head section of the toy store to buy things instead of going to the Mr Potato Head section to buy your Mrs Potato Head toy.

I assume in the 3 pages of reactions someone has actually read the artical and pointed out that the actual toy names are not changing.  They will still be called Mr Potato Head and Mrs Potato Head, it is just name of the type of toy that is changing.   So now you go to the Potato Head section of the toy store to buy things instead of going to the Mr Potato Head section to buy your Mrs Potato Head toy.
THE WORLD AS WE KNOW IT IS OVER AND THE CANCELZ HAVE ONE. Why do you hate your freedom?

why was the change needed? 

Agree.  Some market that way - their right as they know their market.  To legislate it, no.
As a Californian, the most frustrating part of this is the CA legislation spending time on this when we have way more important things to deal with.  Let's ignore the homeless encampments and scorn signage that by and large already doesn't exist much here.  Stoopid.

As a Californian, the most frustrating part of this is the CA legislation spending time on this when we have way more important things to deal with.  Let's ignore the homeless encampments and scorn signage that by and large already doesn't exist much here.  Stoopid.
I watch a lot of California news on my fire stick and the priorities there are so out of whack.

I would expand on that and say it's crazy that people are sitting around actually thinking of these things to introduce into legislation.  But a many say on this board..This is a minor thing. It won't become mainstream.  Just a bunch of over wrought conservatives clutching their pearls.  

Biggest state in the country...But a minor issue.

Does it seem a little silly to me?  Yes.  Do I care what a private company decides to call its product?  Absolutely not.  I didn't care about Aunt Jemima and I don't care about this.

Seems like those that are most concerned about freedom have very strong opinions on what Hasbro decides to call its product.  Hasbro has the freedom to call their product whatever they want.  You have the freedom to buy it or not.  
Exactly.  Just don’t understand the rage behind this or the Dr. Seuss thing.  These are private companies making decisions for there own products, no one is forcing them to do anything.  I despise this soft woke culture attitude as much as the next person but nothing is being forced upon these companies. If they choose to adapt to the feedback they’ve received that’s capitalism working.   

why was the change needed? 
Because they as a private company felt there was a need too.  Their choice.  That’s all the reason needed.  This is the very definition of the marketplace at work, I though that was a core principle of conservatism?

Exactly.  Just don’t understand the rage behind this or the Dr. Seuss thing.  These are private companies making decisions for there own products, no one is forcing them to do anything.  I despise this soft woke culture attitude as much as the next person but nothing is being forced upon these companies. If they choose to adapt to the feedback they’ve received that’s capitalism working.   
What is the bolded?

Because they as a private company felt there was a need too.  Their choice.  That’s all the reason needed.  This is the very definition of the marketplace at work, I though that was a core principle of conservatism?
but when they did it for politically correct reasons because of pressures (aka bullying) from the liberal left ......... then it becomes something else IM

but when they did it for politically correct reasons because of pressures (aka bullying) from the liberal left ......... then it becomes something else IM
The reason doesn’t matter ultimately. It’s their choice, keyword- choice.  No one‘s making them do it. They’re making a business decision. That’s capitalism, that’s American. 

Why is that an issue?  As companies they are listening to their customer base and making changes. This will either result in more sales, less sales, or no change.  I would say it will likely result in no change.

My guess is the vast majority of people don't care.  I buy Aunt Jemima syrup because I like the way it tastes.  I don't really care whose picture is on it or not on it.  And until this happened, nobody who is complaining cared either.  Now it's this beloved icon that society can't do without??  That's a load of crap.....

[...] My guess is the vast majority of people don't care.  I buy Aunt Jemima syrup because I like the way it tastes.  I don't really care whose picture is on it or not on it.  And until this happened, nobody who is complaining cared either.  Now it's this beloved icon that society can't do without??  That's a load of crap.....
Not really true, I can remember complaints about Aunt Jemima from the black community going back several decades. 

Why is that an issue?  As companies they are listening to their customer base and making changes. This will either result in more sales, less sales, or no change.  I would say it will likely result in no change.

My guess is the vast majority of people don't care.  I buy Aunt Jemima syrup because I like the way it tastes.  I don't really care whose picture is on it or not on it.  And until this happened, nobody who is complaining cared either.  Now it's this beloved icon that society can't do without??  That's a load of crap.....
so is you are right (most people don't care) .... then the companies are NOT listening to their bases right ?

so is you are right (most people don't care) .... then the companies are NOT listening to their bases right ?
They are listening to a portion of their base that might care and they are deciding that they are gonna change it and it won't hurt their sales overall.

Maybe they'll be right and maybe not.  I can tell you, removing the Aunt Jemima image isn't hurting anybody and it's removing something that some people find offensive which I think is a good thing

These companies changing names or branding aren't doing it without thinking it won't hurt their bottom line if they do. 

They are listening to a portion of their base that might care and they are deciding that they are gonna change it and it won't hurt their sales overall.
so the little minority that complain get their way - now I can agree with that

but here's something too ... leaving Aunt Jemima there or the Land o Lake native American or leaving the brand Mr Potato Head or not censoring Dr Suess 

none of that hurt their sales either

Maybe they'll be right and maybe not.  I can tell you, removing the Aunt Jemima image isn't hurting anybody and it's removing something that some people find offensive which I think is a good thing
Correct- its probbly always a win for the companies.   Even if 98% of their base couldn't care less, it means they stand to lose 2% of sales if they don't change.  

I guess unless studies would show that some people do stop buying when they change.  I would be surprised if those people outnumbered the people pushing for change though.  

Users who are viewing this thread