What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HBO - Song of Ice&Fire Series -Varsity Thread - no TV only whiners (1 Viewer)

You know it's good when they can kill off 2 of my 3 favorite characters (Robert, Ned, Tyrion) and I still love the show and so far the book as well. Snow is a little whiny still forzme but I see liking him more. Robb has already jumped in my rankings. How is Drogo so sick from that wound?!
Infections are a #####.
:yes: It's not like they can just give him a shot of penicillin.

:thumbup: Looks like everyone caught it. Good deal.
This is a case where I thought the TV show did a better job of setting it up than the book. Adding Ned's recognition of Arya and his message to Yoren (who's recently seen Arya & knows who she is) makes it a little more seamless. In the book, it's easy to miss who grabs her and why (& there's no mention of Ned knowing Arya is in the crowd).

This is a case where I thought the TV show did a better job of setting it up than the book. Adding Ned's recognition of Arya and his message to Yoren (who's recently seen Arya & knows who she is) makes it a little more seamless. In the book, it's easy to miss who grabs her and why (& there's no mention of Ned knowing Arya is in the crowd).
That makes sense if that scene was told from Arya's perspective in the book.

I did miss what Ned specifically said though.I'm still kind of upset about Ned getting whacked. I know that I will most definitely be reading these books this summer. My will power is strong, but not strong enough to just stop at reading Thrones when the season is over next week.

I did miss what Ned specifically said though.

I'm still kind of upset about Ned getting whacked. I know that I will most definitely be reading these books this summer. My will power is strong, but not strong enough to just stop at reading Thrones when the season is over next week.
He said "Baelor" indicating the statue Arya was standing on.

Last edited by a moderator:
So wait, i know we don't know what happened to the sword teacher, but he was facing off against the mountain, yes? We haven't seen either one of them since...Or did he face off against some other random huge dude.

So wait, i know we don't know what happened to the sword teacher, but he was facing off against the mountain, yes? We haven't seen either one of them since...Or did he face off against some other random huge dude.
Faced off vs a King's Guard named Trant. The Mountain isn't a king's guard, just a Lannister stooge.ETA: Trant vs Trent, sorry for the typo.

I agree. While this wasn't in the book, from Arya's POV, it added to the scene. I specifically liked Ned seeing Arya and true to his character find a way to look after her.

I'm still kind of upset about Ned getting whacked. I know that I will most definitely be reading these books this summer. My will power is strong, but not strong enough to just stop at reading Thrones when the season is over next week.
Baelor was an old Targaryen king, right?

Baelor was an old Targaryen king, right?
Baelor I, known as the Beloved and the Blessed, was the ninth Targaryen king to reign on the Iron Throne. Known for his piety, Baelor was a septon as well as a king.[1] He was the second son of Aegon III and ruled after the death of his brother Daeron I. The Great Sept of Baelor in King's Landing features a statue of him.
http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Baelor_I_Targaryen

If I may offer a suggestion: read the first book before you start on the second. sure, you'll know most of the plot lines but there is such a vast world of information in Game of Thrones, you'll be lost if you just start reading Clash of Kings. there are quite a few aspects of Westeros history that haven't been explained well enough for you to know what's going on

After last night's show, my wife finally broke down and asked me where the first book in the series was. This will be her first foray into fantasy :hifive:

I thought the two things they should have provided a little more explanation on last night were Master Aemon's revelation and Robb's strategy and the events that led to Jaime's capture. I understand that it was a packed episode but I have to believe that a lot of non-book readers were :confused: after those scenes.

I remember that when I read the Ned execution scene, I kept waiting for something to happen right up until the sword fell.
My GF went to the library today to try to check it out...she's never read fantasy either. (My copy is buried in the garage somewhere...no idea which box.) I laughed at her...asked if she honestly thought she was the only one suddenly interested in reading it.....lol
I requested the book after the 2nd episode, #46 on the wait list :rolleyes: ETA: Also, the guy who gave Snow the sword (i forget his name) is the father of the guy looking after Danys (forget his name too, Joeruh maybe or something?). So how does the guy have a family if he is working the wall and in charge of it. i get the impression he doesn't have the family anymore, but just seems strange he is allowed to have a son and is as high ranking as he is, when they say they have to cut all ties to love and family.

I thought this was about the McEnroe - Borg HBO documentary. Which was very good and also called Fire and Ice.

:shrug:

guys, the small paperback is like $8
$20 for all 4 on Amazon. I think it's still the #1 selling item in books right now.http://www.amazon.com/George-Martins-Thrones-4-Book-Boxed/dp/0345529057/ref=zg_bs_books_home_1?pf_rd_p=1286249542&pf_rd_s=center-6&pf_rd_t=2101&pf_rd_i=home&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0Q06CN1FWT5SSZPXGFVQ

After last night's show, my wife finally broke down and asked me where the first book in the series was. This will be her first foray into fantasy :hifive:

I thought the two things they should have provided a little more explanation on last night were Master Aemon's revelation and Robb's strategy and the events that led to Jaime's capture. I understand that it was a packed episode but I have to believe that a lot of non-book readers were :confused: after those scenes.

I remember that when I read the Ned execution scene, I kept waiting for something to happen right up until the sword fell.
My GF went to the library today to try to check it out...she's never read fantasy either. (My copy is buried in the garage somewhere...no idea which box.) I laughed at her...asked if she honestly thought she was the only one suddenly interested in reading it.....lol
I requested the book after the 2nd episode, #46 on the wait list :rolleyes: ETA: Also, the guy who gave Snow the sword (i forget his name) is the father of the guy looking after Danys (forget his name too, Joeruh maybe or something?). So how does the guy have a family if he is working the wall and in charge of it. i get the impression he doesn't have the family anymore, but just seems strange he is allowed to have a son and is as high ranking as he is, when they say they have to cut all ties to love and family.
Jeor Mormont, The Old Bear. He took the black later in life after turning over his operation to Jorah. It was his idea of retirement apparently.

Well, if that's the way everyone feels, no big deal. I agree that the book guys have been a big help with filling in back story, but I could do without the stuff like "if you think THAT was bad, wait until you see what happens to character x in book 2"I don't think I have the will power to scroll through a thread that is so full of spoilers and not click on any (especially since the season is over next week)Enjoy
:goodposting: I'm a book reader here, but I totally agree and understand the complaints here. Every time I see someone give a hint about what's to come, I cringe. "Readers" need to be respectful and should acknowledge that offering that teeny little hint will diminish the overall effect that the unveiling of plotlines will have on the non-readers. Yes, you read the book. Congratulations. Yes, you know what's coming. Congratulations. Now keep it to yourself, or put it in spoiler tags so you don't inadvertantly ruin someone's viewing entertainment because you gave them confirmation of something they were speculating about.

Well, if that's the way everyone feels, no big deal. I agree that the book guys have been a big help with filling in back story, but I could do without the stuff like "if you think THAT was bad, wait until you see what happens to character x in book 2"I don't think I have the will power to scroll through a thread that is so full of spoilers and not click on any (especially since the season is over next week)Enjoy
:goodposting: I'm a book reader here, but I totally agree and understand the complaints here. Every time I see someone give a hint about what's to come, I cringe. "Readers" need to be respectful and should acknowledge that offering that teeny little hint will diminish the overall effect that the unveiling of plotlines will have on the non-readers. Yes, you read the book. Congratulations. Yes, you know what's coming. Congratulations. Now keep it to yourself, or put it in spoiler tags so you don't inadvertantly ruin someone's viewing entertainment because you gave them confirmation of something they were speculating about.
Thank you. Some of these readers seem to think they are better than those who haven't read the book, almost as if we shouldn't be allowed to watch the show without first reading the book.Ridiculous and narcissistic.

So how does the guy have a family if he is working the wall and in charge of it. i get the impression he doesn't have the family anymore, but just seems strange he is allowed to have a son and is as high ranking as he is, when they say they have to cut all ties to love and family.
Jeor Mormont, The Old Bear. He took the black later in life after turning over his operation to Jorah. It was his idea of retirement apparently.
Just like if Ned had been allowed to take the black. He already has family, but he couldn't be a part of them once on the wall.When I heard book 5 was coming out and the series was starting this spring I started rereading and the library had no wait list. :thumbup: Of course my copies are somewhere in the attic I just didn't feel like looking for them.

Thank you. Some of these readers seem to think they are better than those who haven't read the book, almost as if we shouldn't be allowed to watch the show without first reading the book.Ridiculous and narcissistic.
No problem. Nothing irks me more than getting fed hints to good movies, books, etc. You don't get the complete experience when you're fed hints and inuendo that gives you indication that something is up. A viewer only thread isn't a bad idea, but wouldn't be necessary if people had more respect.

omg.. hilarious. viewers.. beware and don't scroll down to read the comments, but the video is completely safe. It's a review of episode 9 by Larry, who is also a viewer (non-reader). Same larry from the other video. I guess he has been doing a weekly review of the series. must watch.

nsfw, due to bad language.. a lot of it.

my local public library has A Dance with Dragons listed on their web page. It must have just been added, I'm 5th on the list. they're ordering 12 copies so I won't have to wait. It was going to be an auto buy for me, but I'll probably just wait to buy paperback now. so heads up to anyone else with a library card.

omg.. hilarious. viewers.. beware and don't scroll down to read the comments, but the video is completely safe. It's a review of episode 9 by Larry, who is also a viewer (non-reader). Same larry from the other video. I guess he has been doing a weekly review of the series. must watch.

That had some funny moments too, but mostly it made me feel bad for the guy. He let his guard down by expecting the show to adhere to The Rules, and got completely blindsided. Glad he says on the tag that he's not actually quitting the show, though. Episode 10 definitely needs to help Ned's widows along the grieving process and give them something else to cheer for. Can't wait. :popcorn:

When I was reading the books, the execution of Ned turned it from a good fantasy novel to a must read series. The fact that the good guys can die makes the story more interesting. I have been waiting to see what the reaction to those who didn't know it was coming would be to the scene.
My wife was PISSED!I was like :jawdrop:

When I first read the books I expected the books to follow The Rules, and I was blindsided. So much so that I put them down after book 2 for several years. Once you realize and accept that this is not a normal fantasy series, it gets much easier and more fun.

I have to back up an episode, because I was at the beach and didn't get to comment on it............but:

One scene that wasn't really in the book that I thought was just incredible was the Khal Drogo fight. Not only did he talk fantastic jibba jabba, but he threw down his weapons, and made his opponent look like a fool while he danced around him like Muhammad Ali. Also awesome was taking the blade to the chest (although, ultimately a bad move), and looking at it like he was bitten by a mosquito. Then, to slit his throat with one quick move, and then reach in and pull his tongue from it..........I was floored. Complete badass. Great scene.

I have to back up an episode, because I was at the beach and didn't get to comment on it............but:One scene that wasn't really in the book that I thought was just incredible was the Khal Drogo fight. Not only did he talk fantastic jibba jabba, but he threw down his weapons, and made his opponent look like a fool while he danced around him like Muhammad Ali. Also awesome was taking the blade to the chest (although, ultimately a bad move), and looking at it like he was bitten by a mosquito. Then, to slit his throat with one quick move, and then reach in and pull his tongue from it..........I was floored. Complete badass. Great scene.
Drogo's my favorite character at this point. I sorta saw the Ned death coming....but if Drogo dies I'M going on an internet tirade. :rant:

my local public library has A Dance with Dragons listed on their web page. It must have just been added, I'm 5th on the list. they're ordering 12 copies so I won't have to wait. It was going to be an auto buy for me, but I'll probably just wait to buy paperback now. so heads up to anyone else with a library card.
The other books were all released in paperback and large paperback originally. I haven't looked lately, but they weren't even available in hardcover as of a couple years ago.It would be a weak move by the publisher to release this one in only hardcover after the first 4 weren't.

The other books were all released in paperback and large paperback originally. I haven't looked lately, but they weren't even available in hardcover as of a couple years ago.It would be a weak move by the publisher to release this one in only hardcover after the first 4 weren't.
:shrug:I pre-ordered A Dance with Dragons yesterday from Amazon for $18 with no tax and no shipping. Every time I have pre-ordered a book, I always get First Printings. Hope this is the same. I'd rather have a First Printing hardcover than a paperback anyway. :banana:

I remember that when I read watched the Ned execution scene, I kept waiting for something to happen right up until the sword fell.
Me : "Wait for it..... wait for it...."TV : (plays sound of head being chopped off)

Me : "Wait, what?"
I have to admit that I find this astonishing. My wife was calling Ned "dead meat" from Episode 2 on. And I was not at all surprised when I read the scene in the book. Ned was every naively principled, uncompromising character who's ever been forced into going to Court. Thomas Moore. Beckett. It never ends well.

Just watched the first two episodes and havent read the books.

Can someone explain to me quickly. Robert is the king, his wife is the evil queen Cersai or whatever. Joffrey is her son, now here is where i dont know whats going on. Her Brother who she was boinking is Jaime? isnt the little midget also her brother? who is their father? and why is Joffrey next in line when he has two older brothers?

I am mixed up a bit.

Just watched the first two episodes and havent read the books. Can someone explain to me quickly. Robert is the king, his wife is the evil queen Cersai or whatever. Joffrey is her son, now here is where i dont know whats going on. Her Brother who she was boinking is Jaime? isnt the little midget also her brother? who is their father? and why is Joffrey next in line when he has two older brothers?I am mixed up a bit.
Robert is married to Cersei, they have 3 children: Joffrey, Myercella, Tommen. Joffrey is Robert's heir.Cersei has two brothers: Jaime, Tyrion. She is sleeping with Jaime. All 3 were born to Tywin and Joana Lannister. You haven't met Tywin yet, and Joana is dead.Joffrey is next in line because he is Robert's oldest son. He has no older brothers. Robert has two younger brothers, Stannis and Renly.

I remember that when I read watched the Ned execution scene, I kept waiting for something to happen right up until the sword fell.
Me : "Wait for it..... wait for it...."TV : (plays sound of head being chopped off)

Me : "Wait, what?"
I have to admit that I find this astonishing. My wife was calling Ned "dead meat" from Episode 2 on. And I was not at all surprised when I read the scene in the book. Ned was every naively principled, uncompromising character who's ever been forced into going to Court. Thomas Moore. Beckett. It never ends well.
I just figured it was suicide for a TV program to kill off its primary protagonist and established star before the end of season 1. I suppose I'm looking at this more in light of modern TV business, I doubt I would have been nearly as surprised to read it as to watch it.

hypothetical question:

what would have happened if Ned just said screw it, kept his honor, and started spilling his guts about everything he knew while standing before the crowd? just let it all hang out about Robert and Cersei's "kids", about Cersei and Jaime, about them trying to kill his son, about the attack made to look like House Tully, about Littlefinger's flip-floppery, about everything. even if he probably would have died anyway, would it have made a difference in keeping the Lannisters from gaining power?

Just watched the first two episodes and havent read the books. Can someone explain to me quickly. Robert is the king, his wife is the evil queen Cersai or whatever. Joffrey is her son, now here is where i dont know whats going on. Her Brother who she was boinking is Jaime? isnt the little midget also her brother? who is their father? and why is Joffrey next in line when he has two older brothers?I am mixed up a bit.
Robert is married to Cersei, they have 3 children: Joffrey, Myercella, Tommen. Joffrey is Robert's heir.Cersei has two brothers: Jaime, Tyrion. She is sleeping with Jaime. All 3 were born to Tywin and Joana Lannister. You haven't met Tywin yet, and Joana is dead.Joffrey is next in line because he is Robert's oldest son. He has no older brothers. Robert has two younger brothers, Stannis and Renly.
We have met Tywin. He was the one gutting the deer a couple of episodes ago while talking to Jaime, and talked to Tyrion in each of last two episodes.HBO's web site has a good few pages with family trees and character background. And no spoilers.

Users who are viewing this thread