What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HELP PLZ : A week In San Francisco with the GF (4 Viewers)

Li Po is a dive bar in Chinatown.  Proper dives are becoming a rarity in this overpriced city.  If you happen to be in Chinatown and in need of libations, I would flip a coin between Li Po and Mr. Bing's.
there were two spots near where I lived in the outer haight (inner sunset). I'm going to butcher then name... Persian Zam Zam right on Haight and... dammit... on Irving around 6th street- it had LOTS of clown decoration- mostly paintings and drawings. creepy, not happy.

there were two spots near where I lived in the outer haight (inner sunset). I'm going to butcher then name... Persian Zam Zam right on Haight and... dammit... on Irving around 6th street- it had LOTS of clown decoration- mostly paintings and drawings. creepy, not happy.
Zam Zam is still there although Bruno died around the turn of the century.  @JZilla and I cornholed there earlier this year (our women were also present).

The clown bar was called The Embers.  It's long gone.

Heading out to 16th & Capp Street in the Mission is a good time, 20 years ago that is where the non-adams apple street hookers used to hang out. There is a very long time poster on this board that may have really enjoyed one particular girl that worked that corner. He used to take her to Burger King after their "date". I remember when I first moved out to SF, I lived in Nob Hill and didn't have a good place to park my car so I would let this poster just use mine during the week and I would take it on the weekends. The hell of a guy left a used condom in the center console for me to find one day.

Heading out to 16th & Capp Street in the Mission is a good time, 20 years ago that is where the non-adams apple street hookers used to hang out. There is a very long time poster on this board that may have really enjoyed one particular girl that worked that corner. He used to take her to Burger King after their "date". I remember when I first moved out to SF, I lived in Nob Hill and didn't have a good place to park my car so I would let this poster just use mine during the week and I would take it on the weekends. The hell of a guy left a used condom in the center console for me to find one day.
The Mission has really been cleaned up in the past 20 years.  There are still pockets of seediness including 16th and Capp.  The Uptown is still a dive and there's a bunch of homeless encampments around 17th and Shotwell.

But Mission St. from 18th to 26th and all of Valencia St. are pretty gentrified now.

Li Po is a dive bar in Chinatown.  Proper dives are becoming a rarity in this overpriced city.  If you happen to be in Chinatown and in need of libations, I would flip a coin between Li Po and Mr. Bing's.
had a blast at the High Tide in the Tenderloin last time i was in SF. 

a true "dive" in the sense: 

- jukebox w/ Iron Maiden
- cheap(ish) beers
- oil painting of a topless woman above the bar ("That's my mom" ~ Asian bartenderette, dead serious)
- bartenderettes who will play 1/4/24 with you at the bar for Jager shots (confirmed: they will drink if they lose)
- ping pong table in back for Beer Pong
- i would hesitate to call the place "clean" 

Some fantastic stuff in here guys. I'm going to compile the suggestions by neighborhood and update the first post at some point, so this thread can serve as a reference. :thumbup:  

Looks like two locations in Laurel Heights and Inner Richmond.... any strong bias here? 

What would be the best Dim Sum in Chinatown area? 

Thx! 
We've enjoyed Lai Hong Lounge but you have to order off a menu rather than carts.  City View always has a line which is a good sign when it comes to Dim Sum.  Yank Sing is also very good but more pricey than the typical place.

It's probably true that the best Dim Sum is in the Richmond district or south of the City but I don't think the difference warrants an extra trip, especially if you don't have a vehicle.

[icon] said:
Brunch in Sausalito is very temping.... guessing that's a $30-40 uber fare in weekend traffic? 
As others mentioned, take the ferry to Sausalito.  Bar Bocce is a cool spot.  Get brunch or a drink and an appetizer at any of the places right on the water  like Trident, Scomas, Salitos, Spinnaker, Barrell House - all are a little overpriced for decent food, but great views.

Best place to check out in Sausalito is basically under the GG Bridge, Cavallo Point.  But you'd need to either be in a car or on bikes to get there, it's not really in town.  But great spot to go with the lady

Alternative would be to take the ferry to Tiburon and get some drinks on the deck at Sam's Anchor Cafe.  My favorite day when I lived in The City was Sam's followed by Irish Coffees at Buena Vista.

The Irish Coffee at The Buena Vista maybe?  I think that's near Fisherman's Wharf.  
:thumbup: .  Still go there a few times a year.  

Zam Zam is still there although Bruno died around the turn of the century.  @JZilla and I cornholed there earlier this year (our women were also present).

The clown bar was called The Embers.  It's long gone.
Was he the martini nazi?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much Eephus (and everyone else who's taking the time to respond) :thumbup:

I really do love this forum .

Was he the martini nazi?
Bruno would 86 patrons for ordering a vodka martini or a dozen other minor offenses.  He was polite about it; he'd simply tell people that there was a nice bar down the street (The Achilles Heel) that would serve you that.

Some people said he was racist and he might well have been.  But he was always very nice to Mrs. Eephus.  I think he judged people on how they behaved rather than how they looked.  His family owned the building so he had the ability to run his bar however he liked.   The skyrocketing rents in the City make that pretty much impossible these days.

Hrm....
$18 for 2 to take BART from SFO to Powell St, then either drop another $6-8 on Uber for the last half mile, or hoof it with luggage in tow on mid-day city streets.

OR

$28-32 for Uber Pool / Uber X from the Airport to our hotel door.

Easiest $10 spent ever. 

Hrm....
$18 for 2 to take BART from SFO to Powell St, then either drop another $6-8 on Uber for the last half mile, or hoof it with luggage in tow on mid-day city streets.

OR

Easiest $10 spent ever. 
Definitely Uber.

Hrm....

OR

Easiest $10 spent ever. 
We took BART to Powell and walked to the Union Station Hilton for Memorial Day weekend. Super easy.

We also bought the 2 day City pass for all the touristy stuff. Hop on/off tour bus fare is included so it's good for your GF if she wants to explore while you work.

I enjoy beer, but diving too deep into beer nerddom would be pretty much lost on me. That said, the place looks cool and may drop in with a coworker. Thanks! 
It's heavy on Belgian beers, which I'm not a huge fan of, but the food is solid and I dig the atmosphere.  Would recommend highly.

May be frowned upon in this crowd, but Beach Blanket Babylon is a fun SF-themed musical.  I've been a couple times and it's always fun.

[icon] said:
Booked the 4:50 (last one) Behind the Scenes & Night Tour (included) on Thursday night. :thumbup:  
this is so much fun.  You should have dinner at either Luna Blue or Trident.  Sam's and Bar Bocce are usually busy if the weather is good.  will respond to some of the other questions individually.  

Scoresman said:
Restaurants in SF my wife and I love. I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

House of Prime Rib - Prime Rib is the only thing on the menu and it's excellent.

Burma Superstar - Burmese food.  The tea leaf salad is a must try.
These two places are fantastic.  If you do house of prime rib, make sure that you have a reservation.  There will be a two hour wait on the weekend.  Also, go to Tony's in northbeach for meatballs and slice.  Very good pizza.  

As mentioned, Muir Woods is great. Probably my favorite spot.

If you do take Conzelman Rd. up to the Golden Gate Vista area, check out the Fort Baker area. There are a bunch of 19th century concrete battery's up there with killer views. I had a blast hiking around there. Traffic was dicey for a while, but it was worth it after we got up there and parked. Sunset is a must, then cruise down the other other side on Conzelman Rd and look for the Black Sands Beach. 

Sonoma is about 1 hour and a half from the city, and can be a fun day of hitting the tasting rooms.

Philz Coffee

Hrm....

OR

Easiest $10 spent ever. 
Bart is right outside of the international terminal.  Super easy to take, and sometimes faster, than uber.  The walk is not too bad (i think that is flat).  Don't waste the money on uber. 

Bart is right outside of the international terminal.  Super easy to take, and sometimes faster, than uber.  The walk is not too bad (i think that is flat).  Don't waste the money on uber. 
The $10 is well worth avoiding the smelly, disgusting Bart cars, and that's assuming you aren't stuck in one during commute hours or one with the heater stuck in the on position.  Bart is ####### awful.  

Bruno would 86 patrons for ordering a vodka martini or a dozen other minor offenses.  He was polite about it; he'd simply tell people that there was a nice bar down the street (The Achilles Heel) that would serve you that.

Some people said he was racist and he might well have been.  But he was always very nice to Mrs. Eephus.  I think he judged people on how they behaved rather than how they looked.  His family owned the building so he had the ability to run his bar however he liked.   The skyrocketing rents in the City make that pretty much impossible these days.
lol... I could never remember if it was a gin or vodka martini he favored. got booted out of there half the time.

but damn it was a good martini.

also liked that he'd open when he wanted and close when he wanted. saturday night at 9 and he's not in the mood- closed.

The $10 is well worth avoiding the smelly, disgusting Bart cars, and that's assuming you aren't stuck in one during commute hours or one with the heater stuck in the on position.  Bart is ####### awful.  
There is a ton of truth to this.  Good thing about starting at SFO is that you get a seat and it really is not that far (30 or so minutes to downtown).  

lol... I could never remember if it was a gin or vodka martini he favored. got booted out of there half the time.

but damn it was a good martini.

also liked that he'd open when he wanted and close when he wanted. saturday night at 9 and he's not in the mood- closed.
Wasn't there a sandwich shop/deli in the city where the owner would kick you out if you didn't order properly?  I went there years ago with a local that showed me how to order.  We watched tourist after tourist get kicked out for make a mistake ordering.  Good Italian sandwich from what i can remember.  

Wasn't there a sandwich shop/deli in the city where the owner would kick you out if you didn't order properly?  I went there years ago with a local that showed me how to order.  We watched tourist after tourist get kicked out for make a mistake ordering.  Good Italian sandwich from what i can remember.  
melampo in west soho. had to line up just so, AND DON'T ####### ASK FOR ANYTHING THAT ISN'T EXACTLY HOW IT IS ON THE MENU.

owner opened up a new, kinder and gentler version called alidoro... there's one literally next door to my office. #### that's delicious.

eta: melampo closed a loooong time ago (15years or so).

May be frowned upon in this crowd, but Beach Blanket Babylon is a fun SF-themed musical.  I've been a couple times and it's always fun.
It's a place where you take your lesbian aunt when she comes to visit
:shock:  ... dumbfounded it's still running. always dominated the pink section in the chron, and I remember hitting the age where I was absorbing as much culchah as possible, and I'd ask my folks why we hadn't seen it. "it's... uh.... for tourists". 

this is so much fun.  You should have dinner at either Luna Blue or Trident.  Sam's and Bar Bocce are usually busy if the weather is good.  will respond to some of the other questions individually.  
Downside to Behind the Scenes / Night tour is I am working until 3pm, changing, then we are getting on the ferry at 4:45 and not coming back until 9:30. Not really time for dinner aside from a quick street food grab before the ferry. Guessing it's BYOFood on the island. I have to be up at 5am the next Morning so a 10:00-midnight dinner is not an option. 

@[icon]  where are you from?

I think it matters a lot when it comes to food recommendations. 
Boston area born and raised.... lived in Memphis the last 20yrs or so. However I travel pretty extensively so favor lots of different cuisines (Cajun/Creole, french, Japanese, thai, Vietnamese, Cuban, etc.). I love good seafood as well, but understand it will be exhorbitantly priced in SF area. 

Yeah.... We will have been traveling for 7.5hrs with a considerable amount of baggage (have some work #### too), so navigating the unwashed masses on public transport then lugging several bags through a half mile guantlet of city pedestrians isn't worth  the $10 to me. Assuming Uber of Lyft picks up at SFO that will be the play. 

Downside to Behind the Scenes / Night tour is I am working until 3pm, changing, then we are getting on the ferry at 4:45 and not coming back until 9:30. Not really time for dinner aside from a quick street food grab before the ferry. Guessing it's BYOFood on the island. I have to be up at 5am the next Morning so a 10:00-midnight dinner is not an option. 

Boston area born and raised.... lived in Memphis the last 20yrs or so. However I travel pretty extensively so favor lots of different cuisines (Cajun/Creole, french, Japanese, thai, Vietnamese, Cuban, etc.). I love good seafood as well, but understand it will be exhorbitantly priced in SF area. 

Yeah.... We will have been traveling for 7.5hrs with a considerable amount of baggage (have some work #### too), so navigating the unwashed masses on public transport then lugging several bags through a half mile guantlet of city pedestrians isn't worth  the $10 to me. Assuming Uber of Lyft picks up at SFO that will be the play. 
They do.  If you are walking down to ferry (probably a 20-30 minute walk from you) then you can either go to china town, somewhere quick in the financial district or at the ferry building itself.  There are several decent places in the ferry building depending on how much time you have.  

ETA:  you need to find time to go to house of prime rib....it really is good.  also, there is a place called Harris's.  Another great steakhouse.  

In terms of restaurants:

Favorites from fam who are restaurant connoisseurs:

like grabbing a drink at Pier 23

italian:

fior d' italia

firenze by night

rose pistola

*worth hitting union for*... pan e vino

Asain:

yank sing

golden river (geary)

misc places have excellent dim sum on lower clement

for asian crab- ppq dungeness

hakka

if you want to be near china town... city view

for burmese:

mandalay

burma star

burma superstar

misc:

A&E Asian kitchen

el castellino (mission), just a taco stand but excellent

cancun

picaro- tapas

there is an allyway near union sq called belden place. i like all of the restaurants down there: plouf, b44 stand out

san francisco feel:

sams (near belden)

taddich grill

alfred's

those are mostly casual.  for finer dining:

le coloniel

le central

gary danko

incanto

la folie

cotogna

atelier crenn

spruce

crustacean

farallon

anything from michael mina

foreign cinema

coi

delfina

a16

perbacco

town hall

CurlyNight's list is pretty solid.  Incanto is closed but Chris Cosentino has opened a new fancier place downtown.  Like in any big city, there's always some new trendy place that attracts the foodies but the classics survive for a reason.

But ignore the nonsense about Cancun and El Castillito.   If you have time for one burrito, it's gotta be La Taqueria.  Nate Silver may have gotten the election wrong but he nailed the best burrito in America.

Yes, La Taqueria is a must, and make sure you eat it there because you need one hand to hold the burrito and the other a bottle of their hot sauce, applying liberally to every bite.  

Awesome stuff ???? 

GF already wants me to assemble into a google maps overlay so she has a reference while wandering around while I'm working ?

Awesome stuff ???? 

GF already wants me to assemble into a google maps overlay so she has a reference while wandering around while I'm working ?
Tell her to go on one of the bus city tours.  They are very touristy but actually quite informative and a lot of fun.  Trolly is fun going up California as well.  

Whatever she does, wherever she goes, should be a lot of fun for her. Just being in a new place with so much exploring to do is fun.

Yes, La Taqueria is a must, and make sure you eat it there because you need one hand to hold the burrito and the other a bottle of their hot sauce, applying liberally to every bite.  
Can someone explain why La Taqueria is the best? I'm reading reviews and looking at pics but not sure what makes it different/better? I'm in L.A. so I've had Mexican food from street vendors, trucks, restaurants, homes, and Grand Central Market. I've also been to Mexico and San Diego to eat multiple times... Is it really that much better?

Can someone explain why La Taqueria is the best? I'm reading reviews and looking at pics but not sure what makes it different/better? I'm in L.A. so I've had Mexican food from street vendors, trucks, restaurants, homes, and Grand Central Market. I've also been to Mexico and San Diego to eat multiple times... Is it really that much better?
Being an LA guy as well, it is not any better than a million burrito places we have here. A bunch of pasty white people think it is great. It is good but not great IMO.  

Yeah, we're on page 3 and nobody has mentioned cable cars.  November is non-peak so lines for the Powell St. lines shouldn't be ridiculous.  The California St. line isn't ever as busy as Powell.  I don't know what Muni charges these days but it might be worth buying a day pass if you're planning on multiple cable car rides.

The California St. line stops directly in front of the Tonga Room.  The drinks and food there are mediocre but it's a tiki bar with a rain forest that a place like Smuggler's Cove can never match.

The F-line street cars are a fun way to get from downtown to Fisherman's Wharf.

Being an LA guy as well, it is not any better than a million burrito places we have here. A bunch of pasty white people think it is great. It is good but not great IMO.  
I'm part Hispanic (though a bit pasty) and I say it's the best. What more do you need? 

In all seriousness, there's a reason it's on multiple best burrito lists. 

I didn't want to assume, but it's kinda what I figured.

Users who are viewing this thread