What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HELP PLZ : A week In San Francisco with the GF (4 Viewers)

I'm part Hispanic (though a bit pasty) and I say it's the best. What more do you need? 

In all seriousness, there's a reason it's on multiple best burrito lists. 
I personally think it is good as well. Don't think i would go as far to say "the best".  just my opinion as a half Mexican :)

Most SF style burritos have too much rice.  They go for quantity which is great if you're really hungry or really drunk.

Burritos at La Taq are meat, beans, onions and cilantro in a tortilla with hot sauce on the side.  Their meat is almost always perfectly cooked and seasoned.  For me, it's just a more balanced burrito than any other place I've tried in SF.

I'm sure LA has some great burrito joints.  I've had good burritos in San Diego.  LA definitely tops SF when it comes to Chinese and Thai restaurants.

Who you calling pasty, buddy. I'm darker than you! :lol:  jk jk 

the cable cars are a must do. Apparently the Powell line is a block from our hotel and runs up non hill and down to fishermans wharf. I'm going to encourage her to use that when possible. 

She did one of those "off and on at will" bus tours in San Diego when i was out there for work and really enjoyed it. She's already browsing those types of things and will Possibly try one on Thursday or Friday while I'm at work. 

Never having tried it, I'm curious as to what exactly that reason is. Which is why I inquired about what sets it apart.
I think it just comes down to the quality of ingredients, and seasoning and also I don't know of other taquerias that will make it dorado style. And their hot sauce is amazing. 

I mean I don't know what people are expecting. It's a burrito and it's not going to give you an orgasm or make you do cartwheels but it's the best taqueria food I've ever had hands down and I've also been to LA and San Diego where I've had excellent Mexican food. 

Never having tried it, I'm curious as to what exactly that reason is. Which is why I inquired about what sets it apart.
For me to give a place the "best burrito" designation they have to have an unbelievable Carne Asada, Carnitas, Pollo and Chorizo burrito.  On top of this they must have multiple good salsa.  If you are ever in Boyle Heights Try Ciro's.  They hit the mark on all of these requirements and they have great potato taco's to boot! 

For me to give a place the "best burrito" designation they have to have an unbelievable Carne Asada, Carnitas, Pollo and Chorizo burrito.  On top of this they must have multiple good salsa.  If you are ever in Boyle Heights Try Ciro's.  They hit the mark on all of these requirements and they have great potato taco's to boot! 
It's all about Lengua

Most SF style burritos have too much rice.  They go for quantity which is great if you're really hungry or really drunk.

Burritos at La Taq are meat, beans, onions and cilantro in a tortilla with hot sauce on the side.  Their meat is almost always perfectly cooked and seasoned.  For me, it's just a more balanced burrito than any other place I've tried in SF.

I'm sure LA has some great burrito joints.  I've had good burritos in San Diego.  LA definitely tops SF when it comes to Chinese and Thai restaurants.
San Gabriel Valley has so many great Chinese food places.  As far as high end food goes SF is hands down better.  However, when you look at the quality of chinese, korea, sushi (much better in LA than anywhere else in the US), Thai, Mexican, etc LA takes it hands down. 

San Gabriel Valley has so many great Chinese food places.  As far as high end food goes SF is hands down better.  However, when you look at the quality of chinese, korea, sushi (much better in LA than anywhere else in the US), Thai, Mexican, etc LA takes it hands down. 
Korean BBQ in SF is pathetic

[icon] said:
On the tickets. Debating the "Behind the Scenes / Night tour" on a weeknight for a more intimate experience (vs the 2pm Saturday cattle herding experience). Anyone done either? Thoughts? 

Brunch in Sausalito is very temping.... guessing that's a $30-40 uber fare in weekend traffic? 

Noted. Thanks! 

Renting a car and travelling well outside the city area isn't really in the cards for this trip, for those mentioning it. 

We rented bikes and rode across the GG bridge and ended up eating lunch in Sausilito and then hopping the ferry back.  Was a good time.

It's all about Lengua
This what Mexicans tell me is their benchmark - a taqueria's that aim to be great are judged by their lengua.
Similarly, Japanese say the indication of a good restaurant is the quality of their tamago of all things. :shrug:

This what Mexicans tell me is their benchmark - a taqueria's that aim to be great are judged by their lengua.
Similarly, Japanese say the indication of a good restaurant is the quality of their tamago of all things. :shrug:
I honestly just don't like it that much.  No matter how it is prepared i always find it a bit chewy in comparison to carne asada.  Money places use manteca when cooking the carne asada. 

Museums:

Waterfront:

Exploratorium:  great for kids and nerds.  I like the new location on the Embarcadero

Maritime:  The museum isn't remarkable but  Hyde St. Pier is a nice change of pace after the cheesiness of the Wharf

Musee Mechanique:  More of an arcade than a museum.  One of my favorite places in SF. 

Cartoon Art:  I haven't been to the new location at Ghirardelli Square but the old one was pretty cool.

Downtown

Contemporary Jewish:  I'm a goy but it's an interesting downtown museum a block from Moscone Center

MoMA:  Haven't been since they renovated.  The old one was sort of underwhelming and I like Modern Art

Yerba Buena Center:  More modern installations.  Good if it's a free day

Museum of the African Diaspora:  Good concept.  Underendowed

Asian Art:  Arguably best permanent collection in town.  Great if you like sculptures of Asian gods.

Cable Car:  The exhibits aren't much but the operational cables and wheels are still impressive.  Free. 

GG Park-ish

DeYoung:  good for a rainy day in GG park.  The permanent collection isn't great but they have good traveling exhibits

Academy of Sciences:  Overrated IMO.  Seems smaller than the old place even though it's on the same site.  The roof is a roof with plants.

Legion of Honor:  little brother of the DeYoung.  Lovely setting but kind of out of the way

I haven't been to the Disney Family Museum in the Presidio but Mrs. Eephus gave it top marks.

- Academy of Science has a night life every Thursday...with drinks and music.

- I guess coming form Memphis burritos are worth a try (though I don't get the hype for La Taq. I think San Diego burritos are better).

- If you like sushi: "An Japanese Restaurant" in Japantown has an $80-$85 per person omakase menu. Also get "Spoonful of Happiness" if they have it. It's uni and other deliciousness.

- Thai: My favorite Thai place is Marnee Thai. The original location on Irving Street has a nice hole in the wall feel.

- Peruvian: Limon Rotissere

- Go to the Ferry Building and get fat: Typically I start at Hog Island Oyster Co. (get fresh oysters, grilled cheese, and clam chower), then head over to the salami/meat place and get a meat cone, try some cheese at cow girl creamery, and then grab ice cream at Humphery's Slocombe.

- My favorite ice cream spots in SF: Humpherys Slocombe and Mitchell's. People will say Bi-Rite (but I like Hump better, more unique flavors) and Mitchell's has super creamy ice cream with a bunch of unique tropical flavors.

- Zero-Zero is a pizza spot (supposed to be the French Laundry of pizza - eh), but I love their chicken and waffles during brunch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Flying in Oct 31st and staying through Monday for a work trip. My work activities will be centered around the Marriott Marquis on Mission, so lodging proximity to that spot is a bonus but not required. My work activities will be mostly confined to Mornings and early afternoons.
Do lots of research on craft beer places.

If GF likes wine - you know where to go

Carmel is nice

Essentially my  contribution is the first line above, only

How about getting your gf a nice day at the spa in a hotel while you are at work. You'd come home to a very very relaxed gf... ;)

Quint said:
Speaking of Russian Hill, Zarzuela is a great spot for tapas. Right across the street from Swensen's, and you can catch the cable-car down the hill to Buena Vista. 
My wife and I walked from Pier 39 to Zarzuela (not recommended, this hike almost ended in divorce) to meet with local friends for dinner. Got drunk off the sangria then stumbled across the street for dessert at Swensen's.  :thumbup:  Very fun night.

The Filbert (or Greenwich) St. steps up the East slope of Telegraph Hill are a great way to burn off some calories.  There are beautiful bay views, the apartment where Bogart and Bacall lived in Dark Passage, the occasional parrot sighting and Coit Tower at the top.

Speaking of ice cream, Salt N Straw just opened on Fillmore and if you like crazy flavors, it's really good.  Bone Marrow and smoked cherries, Green Apple Mayonnaise sherbert, Dracula's Blood Pudding at halloween.  It's always super interesting.  

My favorite is only available at their Portland location so far.  Cinnamon ice cream with chunks of Snickerdoodle cookies mixed in.  

The Filbert (or Greenwich) St. steps up the East slope of Telegraph Hill are a great way to burn off some calories.  There are beautiful bay views, the apartment where Bogart and Bacall lived in Dark Passage, the occasional parrot sighting and Coit Tower at the top.
wasn't there a bar up there too? can't remember the name, or if it's still open. 

wasn't there a bar up there too? can't remember the name, or if it's still open. 
Julius' Castle used to be on the Telegraph Hill.  It's been closed for years but the building is still there and there's occasional talk about reopening it under new management.

If I had to pick a single restaurant in SF to go to it would be the House of Prime Rib. 
Hmm.  That's a tough one.  Don't get me wrong, I love the place and it hearkens back to a city that was gone even before I moved here.  A big slab of prime rib with horseradish and Yorkshire pudding is a beautiful thing.  The silver zeppelin-looking thing that they carve from is awesome. 

But...there's nothing the in food that's innovative, technically challenging or unique to this city.  There's a place in every American city where you can get a piece of meat that's at least 95% as good and a decent home cook could cook a good approximation of the entire House of Prime Rib menu if they had a big oven and some patience.

Hmm.  That's a tough one.  Don't get me wrong, I love the place and it hearkens back to a city that was gone even before I moved here.  A big slab of prime rib with horseradish and Yorkshire pudding is a beautiful thing.  The silver zeppelin-looking thing that they carve from is awesome. 

But...there's nothing the in food that's innovative, technically challenging or unique to this city.  There's a place in every American city where you can get a piece of meat that's at least 95% as good and a decent home cook could cook a good approximation of the entire House of Prime Rib menu if they had a big oven and some patience.
The food is definitely not trendy, but it's all done really well and I just love the vibe of the place.  It just feels like you're taking a trip back in time to old-school SF.

Suppenküche in Hayes Valley is a fun place to grab dinner, and their brunch is surprisingly good....a great place to get a base going ahead of SundayFunday. 

If we are hitting Li Po and Mr Bings for drinks tonight, what’s a good dinner spot in the same area? :banned:  

Edit: hitting golden star for Vietnamese 

Last edited by a moderator:
Restaurants in SF my wife and I love. I'm sure I'm forgetting some.

La Taqueria - Best burrito in America (not only my opinion, its been voted on.  Order it dorado style) and the tacos are just as good, IMO.  

Alba Ray's - Great new creole/cajun spot.

Super Duper burger - local burger chain that rivals In N Out for quality.  

Trick Dog - Trendy new bar.  Great cocktails and menu

Tommy's Joynt - Classic SF Dive with great heart attack-on-a-plate type food.

House of Prime Rib - Prime Rib is the only thing on the menu and it's excellent.

Zuni Cafe - A little more upscale and pricey for it being named a "cafe", but the food here is excellent.  

Burma Superstar - Burmese food.  The tea leaf salad is a must try.
bump - I'm headed to the Bay Area on Wednesday for a solo vacation.  My first ever.  I booked it around a Chemical Brothers concert on Friday.  I'm shacking up with @JZilla Wed, Thurs and Friday nights and then disc golf with @Fullback Fro on Saturday morning.   Looking for something to do Saturday and Sunday days/nights and then taking off Monday evening.

bump - I'm headed to the Bay Area on Wednesday for a solo vacation.  My first ever.  I booked it around a Chemical Brothers concert on Friday.  I'm shacking up with @JZilla Wed, Thurs and Friday nights and then disc golf with @Fullback Fro on Saturday morning.   Looking for something to do Saturday and Sunday days/nights and then taking off Monday evening.
You guys playing GGP?

:blackdot: Will be out there with the wife and two teenage sons 7/31-8/11. Think we're going to do Alcatraz, Fisherman's wharf, we've been to Lombard St and Ghirardelli square and another one of the Piers before. Anything else we should be thinking about that teenage boys would find fun/interesting?

The High Tide (not High Dive) is closing down soon. One of the great dive bars in SF. Swing by and play Liar’s Dice w the bartenderetts for shots before it’s gone forever. 

:blackdot: Will be out there with the wife and two teenage sons 7/31-8/11. Think we're going to do Alcatraz, Fisherman's wharf, we've been to Lombard St and Ghirardelli square and another one of the Piers before. Anything else we should be thinking about that teenage boys would find fun/interesting?
Mitchell Brothers have a pretty cool little theater they'd probably like.

and book Alcatraz now, from what I've heard.

have they seen the redwoods in Muir Woods? 

Giants game? 

there used to be pro-am basketball games at Kezar gym... local college kids and warriors second teamers, with the occasional star. I watched some Cal kids play against the warriors once there- college age jason kid vs tim hardaway... it was as epic as it sounded

Probably mentioned earlier (possibly by me) but the Exploratorium and Musee Mechanique are good Wharf adjacent things to do.  There's an In N Out nearby on Jefferson Street as well.

Renting bikes to ride across the Golden Gate bridge is manageable. 

Nighttime activities with teens is kind of tough.  There's a big food truck rally every Friday night at Fort Mason and a couple of Improv troupes that do all ages shows in the same complex.

The Giants are awesome this year.  Get your tickets early so you don't miss the miracle :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread