What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hershel Walker makes statement "No reparations for black people" (1 Viewer)

How about some ideas we can agree on regarding this? Remember Jack Kemp’s old idea of giving tax breaks to companies that invest in the inner cities? I still think that’s a good move. 

How about some ideas we can agree on regarding this? Remember Jack Kemp’s old idea of giving tax breaks to companies that invest in the inner cities? I still think that’s a good move. 
So...  opportunity zones?

Last edited by a moderator:
parasaurolophus said:
Free drivers ed. Thats all I am willing to vote yes on. 

And I am being serious. I detailed my thoughts on this in tims racism thread a couple years ago. 
With the single-mother rate at like 74% I think there needs to be some free refreshers on sex education, family planning and pregnancy prevention options too (other than abortion, that is).

parasaurolophus said:
Free drivers ed. Thats all I am willing to vote yes on. 

And I am being serious. I detailed my thoughts on this in tims racism thread a couple years ago. 
I am morbidly curious as to how this explanation doesn't come off as condescending 

Yes- Madison area. 
Did you know in some years as many as 90% of black WI prisoners dont have a valid drivers license? And not in the been in prison too long so it expired way. 

You dont seem too open minded about this so I dont want to waste a lot of time, but basically a much smaller % of black kids take drivers ed(cost is biggest factor, but there are others) They delay getting their license until they are older(and thus arent required to take drivers ed) or they just dont get it at all. They also are less knowledgeable of the effects and process re:violations. 

This leads to driving without a license, driving while suspended, and missing court appearances. 

In addition to these issues it has a huge effect on getting a job. Not having a drivers license is a big hindrance, even without access to a car. Obviously trouble finding a job can cause issues that can then lead to crime. 

Some other issues too, but there is the top of the mountain quick synopsis. 

Did you know in some years as many as 90% of black WI prisoners dont have a valid drivers license? And not in the been in prison too long so it expired way. 

You dont seem too open minded about this so I dont want to waste a lot of time, but basically a much smaller % of black kids take drivers ed(cost is biggest factor, but there are others) They delay getting their license until they are older(and thus arent required to take drivers ed) or they just dont get it at all. They also are less knowledgeable of the effects and process re:violations. 

This leads to driving without a license, driving while suspended, and missing court appearances. 

In addition to these issues it has a huge effect on getting a job. Not having a drivers license is a big hindrance, even without access to a car. Obviously trouble finding a job can cause issues that can then lead to crime. 

Not to take away from this abbreviated post but your original thesis on this was spot on and very compelling.  

Not to take away from this abbreviated post but your original thesis on this was spot on and very compelling.  
The problem with solutions like this is everybody wants to be offended and they immediately take the position that this is blaming black people. That the way to solve this problem isnt to make it easier for black people to get drivers licenses but to change all of the other things to make them more accepting of black people not having a license. 

We see this trend with lots of issues now. Instead of getting more black children to be better at math, we need math grading practices to just be more accepting. Instead of trying to reduce crime rates, we just need to reduce prosecution of crimes. 

It is an obviously intentional way of pretending to be helping but making sure that nothing actually changes and keeping the black vote above 90%. 

The problem with solutions like this is everybody wants to be offended and they immediately take the position that this is blaming black people. That the way to solve this problem isnt to make it easier for black people to get drivers licenses but to change all of the other things to make them more accepting of black people not having a license. 

We see this trend with lots of issues now. Instead of getting more black children to be better at math, we need math grading practices to just be more accepting. Instead of trying to reduce crime rates, we just need to reduce prosecution of crimes. 

It is an obviously intentional way of pretending to be helping but making sure that nothing actually changes and keeping the black vote above 90%. 
Actually, I ran with a rough crowd in my early thirties and then later on in my later thirties. I can attest to the fact that urban and black youths (urban is not a code word for "black" for me) not having a driver's license is a huge hindrance in all situations. Most people I was running with didn't even have any form of valid ID and couldn't prove themselves or their identity to anyone, let alone when it was demanded or required of them by police or courts or even potential employers or really, anywhere. I saw so many people pulling out their paper identification cards, which was basically an invitation for the cops to detain you for a while (don't tell me about constitutional protections, there really aren't any in rougher urban areas) and search your person, your car, everything. It leads to people that can't, even with cash, open up an account at a bank. Not having identification is a signal of the underclass in some form.

I need to apologize about the snark before.   You are one of the few around here consistently on the right that I don't have on ignore, and appreciate the normal conversation.  

I really like this idea of a way to help in general, but not sure how that eats into the wealth discrepancy that is being discussed.  Again, not sure what the answer is, but if the stat is something like 9-10x the wealth is what is being missed out on, not sure how this addresses that, assuming the other group is going to continue to gain at current rate too.  

I need to apologize about the snark before.   You are one of the few around here consistently on the right that I don't have on ignore, and appreciate the normal conversation.  

I really like this idea of a way to help in general, but not sure how that eats into the wealth discrepancy that is being discussed.  Again, not sure what the answer is, but if the stat is something like 9-10x the wealth is what is being missed out on, not sure how this addresses that, assuming the other group is going to continue to gain at current rate too.  
Better jobs. Less prison. More access to banking. 

It obviously isnt the only solution, but it is just so simple and cost effective and would make a really big difference for a lot of people. 

Better jobs. Less prison. More access to banking. 

It obviously isnt the only solution, but it is just so simple and cost effective and would make a really big difference for a lot of people. 
I get that - going forward.  I just don't think it would close the gap that much if that is what we are looking to do.  

Discussion really needs to broken up.  Are you doing it to settle past crimes.  Are you doing it to close a wealth gap.  You can do it for both reasons but it is counterproductive to mix the reasonings.

The US is full of white supremacists and all white people are racists (thats what I read from leading race authorities).  This racism is what keeps black people down.  It is pervasive in policing, lending, hiring, everything.  Its is imbedded in the entire system.  How would a check solve that?  Is there a system racism annuity that needs to be created?

Discussion really needs to broken up.  Are you doing it to settle past crimes.  Are you doing it to close a wealth gap.  You can do it for both reasons but it is counterproductive to mix the reasonings.

The US is full of white supremacists and all white people are racists (thats what I read from leading race authorities).  This racism is what keeps black people down.  It is pervasive in policing, lending, hiring, everything.  Its is imbedded in the entire system.  How would a check solve that?  Is there a system racism annuity that needs to be created?
Sigh.  

Gotta give him props - that's a nice, tight Catch-22 he's constructed.
Right.  People like him have created a ridiculous circular construct that is impossible to navigate.  

1.  America is racist to it's core.  Built on racism and its institutions throughout are racist.

2.  The heartbeat of Racism is denial.  To deny racism is in fact clear evidence of racism.  

3.  If you deny 1. see 2. 

Stop denying it KP!!

Ibram X. Kendi on Twitter: "The heartbeat of racism is denial. And too often, the more powerful the racism, the more powerful the denial." / Twitter

https://twitter.com/DrIbram/status/1367473187131449350?s=20
1.  what makes him a "race expert"?

2.  where in that post does he claim all white people are racist?

3.  where in that post does he claim the US is full of white supremacists?

Anyway, the first part of your post is a valid question.   IMO most for the idea is bringing up the systemic problems so we can discuss ways to address the wealth gap.    A lot of people that are really against it seem to be thinking that people are trying to settle past crimes, hence the "I didn't do it, why do I have to pay?" type of posts..   Similar, but I think there is a distinction.  

Reparations will never gain widespread support, so the discussion is hypothetical in that context.

But what you wrote applies just the same to affirmative action, which is not hypothetical.

Reparations will never gain widespread support, so the discussion is hypothetical in that context.

But what you wrote applies just the same to affirmative action, which is not hypothetical.
I don't understand why people make this statement about ANY idea that gets brought up.   There are things being done now that people said 10 years ago would never happen.  The government is becoming more and more radicalized, on BOTH sides.  Regarding this specific issue, the Biden administration is already working on it:

https://dailycaller.com/2021/03/01/joe-biden-tuition-historically-black-colleges-universities-slavery-reparations-cedric-richmond/

I don't understand why people make this statement about ANY idea that gets brought up.   There are things being done now that people said 10 years ago would never happen.  The government is becoming more and more radicalized, on BOTH sides.  Regarding this specific issue, the Biden administration is already working on it:

https://dailycaller.com/2021/03/01/joe-biden-tuition-historically-black-colleges-universities-slavery-reparations-cedric-richmond/
On this issue in particular, Hershel Walker has already spoken.

1.  what makes him a "race expert"?

2.  where in that post does he claim all white people are racist?

3.  where in that post does he claim the US is full of white supremacists?

Anyway, the first part of your post is a valid question.   IMO most for the idea is bringing up the systemic problems so we can discuss ways to address the wealth gap.    A lot of people that are really against it seem to be thinking that people are trying to settle past crimes, hence the "I didn't do it, why do I have to pay?" type of posts..   Similar, but I think there is a distinction.  
1.  Race authority, if you're going to use quotes should at least get the quote right.

Here's his wiki bio, you can argue with yourself if that suffices as an authority.  Ibram X. Kendi - Wikipedia

2.  Where did I say in my post that he claimed all white people are racist?  It was a quote about denying your racism.  But, here's a quote for you from another authority on that point.

“I believe that white progressives cause the most daily damage to people of color. I define a white progressive as any white person who thinks he or she is not racist, or is less racist, or in the “choir,” or already “gets it.” White progressives can be the most difficult for people of color because, to the degree that we think we have arrived, we will put our energy into making sure that others see us as having arrived. None of our energy will go into what we need to be doing for the rest of our lives: engaging in ongoing self-awareness, continuing education, relationship building, and actual antiracist practice. White progressives do indeed uphold and perpetrate racism, but our defensiveness and certitude make it virtually impossible to explain to us how we do so.”
― Robin DiAngelo, White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism
Here's her bio  Robin DiAngelo 

3.  Where did I say in my post that he claimed all white people are white supremacists.  Will revert to #2 above and allow you to do further research on this one.

Let me know anything else you can't google.

Reparations ain't gonna happen, at least in our lifetime.  And per the article, Biden is starting some sort of Commission to look into it (which I wouldn't call "already working  on it") so even if they end up making a recommendation, I don't see Biden acting upon it. 

1.  Race authority, if you're going to use quotes should at least get the quote right.

Here's his wiki bio, you can argue with yourself if that suffices as an authority.  Ibram X. Kendi - Wikipedia

2.  Where did I say in my post that he claimed all white people are racist?  It was a quote about denying your racism.  But, here's a quote for you from another authority on that point.

Here's her bio  Robin DiAngelo 

3.  Where did I say in my post that he claimed all white people are white supremacists.  Will revert to #2 above and allow you to do further research on this one.

Let me know anything else you can't google.
If you weren't claiming that, what is the point of using that quote after saying I can't deny the bolded of the quote?  This place gets weird sometimes.  

No need for the bolded.  

Reparations ain't gonna happen, at least in our lifetime.  And per the article, Biden is starting some sort of Commission to look into it (which I wouldn't call "already working  on it") so even if they end up making a recommendation, I don't see Biden acting upon it. 
I don't think so either.  Not sure there is a solution that tge majority could agree on.  Hell we can't even agree that there is a problem to begin with.  

If you weren't claiming that, what is the point of using that quote after saying I can't deny the bolded of the quote?  This place gets weird sometimes.  

No need for the bolded.  
I was replying to your sigh...which seemed to be a "denial" of my statement.  Hench the denial quote.

I wasn't replying to your request to provide evidence that authorities believe all whites are racists, because you hadn't yet asked.

Yah, the bolded is snarky but you have 43,000 posts and I'm gonna guess a majority of them are in the PSF.  This stuff interests you.  Odd to have to do the work to prove evidence of things that have already been discussed in this forum.

Whatever, back to work, have a great weekend.

I was replying to your sigh...which seemed to be a "denial" of my statement.  Hench the denial quote.

I wasn't replying to your request to provide evidence that authorities believe all whites are racists, because you hadn't yet asked.

Yah, the bolded is snarky but you have 43,000 posts and I'm gonna guess a majority of them are in the PSF.  This stuff interests you.  Odd to have to do the work to prove evidence of things that have already been discussed in this forum.

Whatever, back to work, have a great weekend.
Probably 37000 are movie, music, and game of thrones related 

Evanston IL...14 miles from downtown Chicago......it figures.

Reparations are simple....If it has to be...it was the Democrat Party that went to war to preserve slavery.
Registered Democrats should be the ones to pay.

And while they have their wallets out...they can pay war reparations to the Northern States for those whose ancestors lost their lives trying to undo what they did.

Reparations are simple....If it has to be...it was the Democrat Party that went to war to preserve slavery.

And while they have their wallets out...they can pay war reparations to the Northern States for those whose ancestors lost their lives trying to undo what they did.
That Northwestern money is being put to good use I see.  

My home town.   

Twitter responses to news articles are as expected.  It's patronizing, doesn't do enough, it's racist (!).  

I'm sure others have had the same thought/question here, but let's say you're for reparations, and it's cash money.  What's the number? How much is enough?  It's impossible to answer.

Twitter responses to news articles are as expected.  It's patronizing, doesn't do enough, it's racist (!).  

I'm sure others have had the same thought/question here, but let's say you're for reparations, and it's cash money.  What's the number? How much is enough?  It's impossible to answer.
I think that is a bit of the rub, and not sure how you put a # on that.   I think a lot of what people talk about from the years of black people being left behind is property value, education, and career advancement.   Basically the ability to generate and accumulate wealth - at least this is my interpretation.    If so, how does a check for $ fix that or close the gap in a substantial way? 

Users who are viewing this thread