What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

House of the dragon. Game on! (1 Viewer)

Why did Daemon choke Rhaenyra. I know it was something to do with The Song of Ice and Fire but can someone spell this out for me?
She goaded him by basically telling him his brother trusted her with the dream/story and not him. I’d sense it to be frustration of kind of always been labeled as a hot head who no one trusted with real stuff. Remember when his brother sent help for the crab guy? He got so pissed he decided to get it done himself. Rhaenyra kind of shut him down at the battle planning table and that final piece sent him over the edge. Luckily for her he calmed down.
I've read this explanation, but it misses me. She did not goad Daemon pre-choke. It was only after the choke she made a quip to the extent of "He never told you?" in surprise.
I don’t think that’s the case. I am fairly certain that was the cause. I don’t recall her saying something afterwards, but I am pretty sure she said something like that first.
Got it, but I think the theory still stands. Rhaenyra says that after as confirmation. Her saying that was her saying you choked me because he never told you. Of course on top of all the built up frustrations. If that was the first straw no reaction like that but the last straw reaction.
Yeah, I mean I'd buy he choked her because he was frustrated being challenged, with Rhaenyra's consideration of peace as a option, with possibly a far fetched rationale for her position, any of that I get w/r/t a volatile character in Daemon. I just don't agree he was goaded by Rhaenyra over the fact she knew something he didn't. She did not even realize that at that point.

I view it as she did not purposefully goad him, but her words/actions had him in his feelings.

I view it as she did not purposefully goad him, but her words/actions had him in his feelings.
And that's the downfall of Daemon, isn't it. It's been illustrated over & over that he plays checkers whilst his brother (and others) play chess. He knows that and it infuriates him. His brother, who I think Daemon felt he was close to, didn't share with him possibly the single most important thing in the history of Westoros because, and I'm sure Daemon thinks this, he was never going to be king or worthy of sharing that information with. THAT is what pisses him off and he took it out on Rhaeneyra. It will be his undoing in the end. He has zero chance of making it through to the end and will probably cost another's life as he goes down.

I still just call the show Game of Thrones.

I must have missed it but when did we know Corlys was still alive? I remember everyone thinking he died and then all of a sudden he was there. Was there a scene I missed where he returned?
Back a few episodes when Corly's brother got whacked and they named Luc the heir to Driftmark, Corlys was laid up with a bad fever and they were very unsure if he would survive. So getting an heir put in place in case he didn't make it. Then it was quiet for an episode or two, and now at the start of the finale someone mentioned his fever had broken and he would be traveling back to Driftmark from the Stepstones. We knew he was alive the whole time, it was just that he went from being expected to die to him pulling through.
Oh ok...I must have zoned out on that. I thought he was still missing and considered dead from the battle...thx!

I still just call the show Game of Thrones.

I must have missed it but when did we know Corlys was still alive? I remember everyone thinking he died and then all of a sudden he was there. Was there a scene I missed where he returned?
Back a few episodes when Corly's brother got whacked and they named Luc the heir to Driftmark, Corlys was laid up with a bad fever and they were very unsure if he would survive. So getting an heir put in place in case he didn't make it. Then it was quiet for an episode or two, and now at the start of the finale someone mentioned his fever had broken and he would be traveling back to Driftmark from the Stepstones. We knew he was alive the whole time, it was just that he went from being expected to die to him pulling through.
Oh ok...I must have zoned out on that. I thought he was still missing and considered dead from the battle...thx!
I don't think he was ever "missing". I thought the reports were he was gravely injured/ill.

Meh on the childbirth complaints. A guy gets the top of his head lopped off.....a baby drops out on the floor. A littls surprised they didn't have a warning/disclaimer. I wouldn't be surprised if she can't have children anymore thus moving her battlefield from the birthing bed to the actual battlefield.
Not sure why it’s hard to get that one actually was part of the story and the other had no real meaning. Rhaenyra was already in the don’t want to go scorched earth side and the only change was after learning her son was murdered by Aemond. We’ve seen a lot of child birth and that one was completely gratuitous. Heck, we’ve even seen Rhaenyra have a child before and had to get up and do her duty right after.

No one is saying ew, I couldn’t handle it at all. We’ve seen penises cut off before. Some of us are saying it had nothing to do with a story line and others are saying we’ve seen it happen a dozen times now. Theon losing his penis was integral to the story so no one complained. This wasn’t.

I don't see a difference between lopping a guy's skull in half and showing a stillbirth in terms of either being necessary or unnecessary gratuitous gore. Both events are part of the story; in neither case was it necessary to show the viewer the gory details. Rhaenyra losing her child is as much a part of the story as an anonymous guy being eaten alive by crabs. That whole scene with Daemon running the show in the war room while she was in childbirth was tense and awesome - her oldest son trying to act as her rep and being completely ignored. We didn't need a lingering shot of Corlys' brother's half-head on the floor either, but they showed us that as well. GOT had multiple scenes of children being raped, beaten and killed. I think some viewers don't like the stillbirth scene because we're completely used to seeing depictions of gory violence but much less used to seeing depictions of this type of non-violent gore.
The difference I see is that none of us (or at least 99.9% of us) have ever actually seen or been personally impacted by somebody getting his or her head chopped off. So, in our minds, such a gory scene can remain compartmentalized in our brains as fiction.

In contrast, some of us (or at least a significantly greater percentage) have personally experienced stillbirth, miscarriages, and/or pregnancy issues.* So, that comparable gore on screen hits far more closer to home as it's more "real."

*My wife and I have and that scene was NOT well received by Mrs. Woz (I almost had to turn it off).

It was hilarious when Rhaenyra also named her son Aegon just to really mock everyone trying to keep track. But they drove it home last week with the twin brothers Erryck and Arryck. If you didn't have close captioning on they would sound and look exactly alike. Both white cloaks, exact same beard, hair and clothing/armor, but apparently will fall on opposite sides.

Finally got around to finishing this season (the first half was slow-going for me but definitely finished strong).

Anyway, I gave in to using CC in episode 9, but the episode before had one of them walking with Alicent. It sound like she called him Ser Erik and he responded with, "I'm Ser Erik," and I was all :confused: but whatever. Didn't click for me until the next episode.

Actual dialogue
"Your Grace... a matter has arisen that requires your attention"
"Whatever it is, Ser Arryk, it'll need to wait."
"I'm Erryck, Your Grace."
"Of course. My apologies, ser."

I might have to watch the whole season over again with CC on to see how much I missed.

The only real issue I personally had with all the child birth scenes was the audio. I mean, the screaming was one thing, but the amplified gloopy sounds seemed over the top.

About 5 episodes in, thinking of bailing. This going somewhere? He picked a girl to be queen, ok. That about the story here?

About 5 episodes in, thinking of bailing. This going somewhere? He picked a girl to be queen, ok. That about the story here?

The story is a lot like GOT - a War of the Roses plot line that runs deep over multiple generations marked by violence and political maneuvering, except with dragons. Tap out now if that’s not your thing.

I stopped about here

I'm late in viewing but in the exact same situation - whether or not to keep going after Episode 5. Total snooze fest thus far. No real intriguing characters or storylines. I guess the brothels are pretty cool.

I stopped about here

I'm late in viewing but in the exact same situation - whether or not to keep going after Episode 5. Total snooze fest thus far. No real intriguing characters or storylines. I guess the brothels are pretty cool.
Keep going…..

I stopped about here

Get through 7 before you decide.

I know this is a post from April so you either watched it or you didn't. But for the benefit of other folks who run across this thread, the whole first season of HOTD feels like setting the stage for the show that is about to follow. I haven't read the book and I know nothing about the source material so I could be totally wrong about that. But (1) I really enjoyed Season 1 and can comfortably say that it exceeded my expectations by a wide margin, and (2) it was all backstory and character development. Both statements can be true.

I didn't read the book (its not really a book in the sense of the Ice and Fire saga, more just a historical summary) but I knew most of the story going in just because I'm a GOT nerd and I think this is one of those times that knowing some background and what's coming enhanced the experience for me. Not necessary but I think it helped, even if it did reduce the impact of the wow--moments. One thing I like about Martin's world-building is you can never assume a binary good/bad character. Sure, there are some supremely evil characters in his story and a few who are uniformly good people, but almost all of the main characters evolve and can be presented in a different light depending on the viewpoint. This story is no different.

it took a long time to get rolling but I really liked how season 1 ended. i am ready for more

ditto on that.

dunno why they jumped ahead so quick, the younger princess needed way more screen time - they did not "age" her character well, either ... the older version looked like a catcher's mitt ... yet they kept her bff/queen as the same actress - dafook?

Keep going…..

It's picking up. Hope to finish this week. This isn't in the same realm as the first few seasons of GOT but a serviceable show (at least through Episode 8).

This was probably was addressed earlier in the thread but why does the King age so quickly yet his brother Daemon looks the same throughout? Magic and stuff? Seem more like Father and Son than brothers.

Keep going…..

It's picking up. Hope to finish this week. This isn't in the same realm as the first few seasons of GOT but a serviceable show (at least through Episode 8).

This was probably was addressed earlier in the thread but why does the King age so quickly yet his brother Daemon looks the same throughout? Magic and stuff? Seem more like Father and Son than brothers.
I always assumed it was his illness + the general stress of being on the Iron Throne.

it took a long time to get rolling but I really liked how season 1 ended. i am ready for more

ditto on that.

dunno why they jumped ahead so quick, the younger princess needed way more screen time - they did not "age" her character well, either ... the older version looked like a catcher's mitt ... yet they kept her bff/queen as the same actress - dafook?
Pretty sure they recasted the queen as well. Agree they are very similar looking.

ditto on that.

Pretty sure they recasted the queen as well. Agree they are very similar looking.

i stand corrected - you are right.

still, the young lady who portrayed Princess R earlier in the series had a very distinct beauty about her, including a slighly upturned nose ... the elder version are nowhere near that kinda aura - at all.

carry on.

ditto on that.

To be fair to the books....she's supposed to be a good bit harder/haggard looking.

Yes sir. I dumped HBO when season 1 ended. I'll pick up MAX when season 2 starts. That's the power of my interest. Can't wait.

Team black. So excited, much better than I was anticipating going in. It’s not first 4 seasons of GOT but it’s a hell of a lot better than the last few.
Team black all the way. **** green, never liked that weasel dad. He reminded me of the guy who lied to Henry about Libby and never mentioned his daughter Daphne, so he could marry off his daughter to Henry. Great movie and even better redemption arc.

Users who are viewing this thread