What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Houston Texans 2013 In-season thread (1 Viewer)

What can we expect from Arian Foster this season? In one league I own him, I consider him my RB3 behind Marshawn and Lacy. Will it be back to business as usual for him this season or is he about done?
O'Brien has not really told us much about the structure of his offense and defense outside of being very multiple on both sides of the ball, so we don't really know. That said, everything points to foster having a clear significant lead role at least in 2014.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/16/arian-foster-says-hes-been-medically-cleared/

Foster is cleared healthwise

If traded, according to Spotrac's salary figures, he'd be $10.5m in dead money which would hit the cap this year. Though it would give the team $3.625m more to spend this year than if he was on the roster, so still a cap savings.

Same cap hit if released instead of traded, though then they would have the option of spreading the $10.5m over 2 years.

Raiders to the rescue! Wow, I seriously didn't think we had any hope of trading him.

If traded, according to Spotrac's salary figures, he'd be $10.5m in dead money which would hit the cap this year. Though it would give the team $3.625m more to spend this year than if he was on the roster, so still a cap savings.

Same cap hit if released instead of traded, though then they would have the option of spreading the $10.5m over 2 years.
I was in favor of taking the hit this year anyway, so it would be great to trade him to make sure they don't do that June 1 cut thing or else we'll have $7m dead money next year (and $3.5m this year, IIRC).

Bridgewater had a poor showing at his Pro Day when it came to throwing. His accuracy was poor which is one of the things that is considered a strength for him. Various articles abound, here's a quick cut and paste from ESPN. Of course, a Pro Day shouldn't move a guy that much in anyone's rankings, it should be noted.

Jaworski: "I think if you talked to the six NFL coaches that were here, they came here probably feeling the same way we did: Teddy Bridgewater was the guy most ready for the NFL. But they wanted to see the ball come out of his hands. How did he spin the football? They've done all the tape study, just like we've done all the tape study. And really, when you watch Bridgewater today, he struggled with accuracy, he struggled with velocity on the deep throw and the sideline throws. And the one thing I thought was going to be his trademark was the accuracy -- and he struggled in areas. I think clearly, in this pro day workout, Teddy Bridgewater took a step backwards."

McShay: "In coming to these pro day workouts for 14-15 years, the vast majority of them, almost all of them, the QB ends up outperforming what you see on tape. There's no defense. There's no pass rush. You're in shorts and a T-shirt and it's a scripted workout that you've been working on for 30-40 days with your wide receiver. So to see Bridgewater come out here today and be the exception to the rule ... this is a rare occurrence for a QB in his pro day, who is not nearly as efficient and effective when he is when studying his tape.

"The question has to be why? And I just wonder ... maybe it's in his head that he's working on footwork things that I'm not sure that he should be working on. The bottom line is that he needs to be working on weight transfer, and getting his hips more involved with his upper body to drive the ball down the field. Big picture: The bottom line is that the teams drafting at the top, and there were general managers, head coaches, scouts, offensive coordinators from all of those teams here, they wanted to be wowed and they leave Louisville having not been wowed about what they saw."

Last edited by a moderator:
The #Texans have signed DT Jerrell Powe

6'02" Weight: 335

from Kansas City, 2011 6th rounder on/off their roster

Jerrell Powe was drafted by #Texans DC Romeo Crennel while he was HC of the Chiefs. Played 11 games in 3 years. 199th overall pick.

The #Texans have signed DT Jerrell Powe

6'02" Weight: 335

from Kansas City, 2011 6th rounder on/off their roster

Jerrell Powe was drafted by #Texans DC Romeo Crennel while he was HC of the Chiefs. Played 11 games in 3 years. 199th overall pick.
Championship!

Obviously not a signing to make anyone feel fantastic, but I think it was needed. Having a veteran with starting experience not named Matt Schaub at least gives you an option if you decide to go for a 2nd round QB and then the one(s) you want aren't there.

Which may also help convince other teams the Texans may take Clowney at #1 so if they want him they'll have to trade with Houston and not wait to trade with the Rams for the #2 pick. Personally I'd still be happy with us taking Clowney and then a 2nd round QB.

Personally I'd still be happy with us taking Clowney and then a 2nd round QB.
More and more, I think this is the play. Lance Zierlein was talking the other day about how it's not out of the realm of possibility for one of the "big three" QBs to fall to the 2nd if they don't go in the first 10-12 picks. Getting Clowney and one of them would be a great way for BOB to start off.

More and more, I think this is the play. Lance Zierlein was talking the other day about how it's not out of the realm of possibility for one of the "big three" QBs to fall to the 2nd if they don't go in the first 10-12 picks. Getting Clowney and one of them would be a great way for BOB to start off.
I agree it's quite possible. Or even if not falling all the way to the 2nd, falling late in the first round where we could trade up if they think the player is that much better than what they can get otherwise.

Though I'm also still fine with a trade down, given how deep this draft is supposed to be, and with so many spots Houston can use an upgrade.

Sports Radio 610 said Texans are finalizing a trade to send Schaub to the Raiders for a late 2014 draft pick. Houston Chronicle indicated the trade is awaiting him passing a physical to be finalized.

Greg Russell said:
I agree it's quite possible. Or even if not falling all the way to the 2nd, falling late in the first round where we could trade up if they think the player is that much better than what they can get otherwise.

Though I'm also still fine with a trade down, given how deep this draft is supposed to be, and with so many spots Houston can use an upgrade.
I finally watched all of Clowney's videos on draftbreakdown and I can't imagine any team passing on him. For people who only look at stat sheets all they see are 3 sacks, but his impact was tremendous. He disrupted so many plays - normally double teamed - that led either to INT's or near INT's. I can't imagine how an offense will be able to deal with him and also stop Watt.

a little research on whther adding a journeyman QB influences 1st round QB selection

http://www.footballperspective.com/what-do-schaub-and-fitzpatrick-mean-for-bortles-manziel-and-bridgewater/

Both Schaub and Fitzpatrick can be reasonable stopgap quarterbacks, but neither should — or frankly, will — prevent their organizations from spending a premium pick on a passer. While I’ve identified eleven examples where that was the case, there are other similar situations. For example, this list doesn’t include the many times when a Schaub-like (or better) quarterback was already on the roster, like when the Chargers grabbed Eli Manning/Philip Rivers despite having Drew Brees, or the Favre Packers selecting Aaron Rodgers, or the Colts trading up for Jeff George with a young Chris Chandler already on the roster. The list also fails to include situations when a veteran was added prior to the draft but was cut before the start of the season, along with veteran quarterbacks who aren’t on the Schaub/Fitzpatrick level (i.e., Indianapolis adding Drew Stanton before drafting Andrew Luck). But no general manager wants to be remembered for passing up on a franchise quarterback because the team was “set” at the position with a Schaub or Fitzpatrick.

I would assume Sanchez is out of the question now, would y'all agree? Unless we are taking Clowney and a developemental guy later at QB and going to have Sanchez compete with Fitz....hope not Id rather have new hope with one of the rookie QBs

I would assume Sanchez is out of the question now, would y'all agree? Unless we are taking Clowney and a developemental guy later at QB and going to have Sanchez compete with Fitz....hope not Id rather have new hope with one of the rookie QBs
Yeah, I am hoping that bill O'Brien was not the guy below at this point. I think his time in New england would have been around Sanchez's couple of years of pretty good year versus buttfumbling as such.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/21/unnamed-coach-who-wanted-a-crack-at-sanchez-gets-it/

For people who wonder why Houston sports fans think that John McClain offers nothing here his latest offering of zero.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/columnists/mcclain/article/Texans-latest-developments-mean-top-pick-to-be-QB-5339507.php?t=db6c6cbd33cba496f0
Yeah, I saw that this morning too. Must be a slow media day and trying to get clicks to regurgitate this yet again, we knew Schaub was going to be gone from the team this offseason no matter what by like week 10. Whether it was by trading or cutting him, it doesn't matter other than now we have an extra 6th (so yay!) It has no bearing on whether they are going QB with the number 1 or not.

For people who wonder why Houston sports fans think that John McClain offers nothing here his latest offering of zero.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/columnists/mcclain/article/Texans-latest-developments-mean-top-pick-to-be-QB-5339507.php?t=db6c6cbd33cba496f0
Yeah, I saw that this morning too. Must be a slow media day and trying to get clicks to regurgitate this yet again, we knew Schaub was going to be gone from the team this offseason no matter what by like week 10. Whether it was by trading or cutting him, it doesn't matter other than now we have an extra 6th (so yay!) It has no bearing on whether they are going QB with the number 1 or not.
I swear he's in on the smokescreen.

Wouldnt surprise me, although I generally get the impression McClain only knows what they want him to know. This new regime seems like they know how to use the media so far....good inside rumors are tough to come by except for Schaub and somehow they got someone to trade a draft pick for that guy

Wouldnt surprise me, although I generally get the impression McClain only knows what they want him to know. This new regime seems like they know how to use the media so far....good inside rumors are tough to come by except for Schaub and somehow they got someone to trade a draft pick for that guy
That is what I've said about him in the past.

If John McClain says something, there is a good chance is it what the team wants you to hear.

Any consensus in here about who is the best QB available? I guess I lean toward Bridgewater as Manziel scares the hell out of me at 1.1 and I dont know enough about Bortles. Seems like a crapshoot but doubt they wait til the 2/3rd round to grab a QB.

I finally watched all of Clowney's videos on draftbreakdown and I can't imagine any team passing on him. For people who only look at stat sheets all they see are 3 sacks, but his impact was tremendous. He disrupted so many plays - normally double teamed - that led either to INT's or near INT's. I can't imagine how an offense will be able to deal with him and also stop Watt.
Stop it. You're just going to make me more depressed when we take a QB purely due to it being the "safe" pick. I am still firmly in the Clowney or trade down camp.

And I know I'm in the minority, but I kind of like Fitzpatrick. Dude is not afraid to scramble and he plays hard. He's had some nice partial seasons in the past. I haven't followed him super closely, but I recall the knock on him was that he struggled in Buffalo once it got cold (I think it stemmed from 2011 when he actually was injured, but kept playing, after a red hot start). If the cold thing was actually true then it won't be a problem here. I'd be very interested to see them give him a shot this year while they develop a non-first round QB (or simply wait until 2015 to draft/sign a new QB). His low salary would offset the Schaub cap hit nicely.

But a rookie QB with #1 will please the (majority of) fans and the media won't knock it. Rick Smith will be able to justify the pick regardless of how the QB turns out when he's possibly applying for new jobs next year. But in the off chance that they nut up and take Clowney... man, that's a tandem that could be legendary.

Is anyone else disappointed the Texans didn't make a run at Nicks? I know we don't have a lot of money to throw around, but damn he was cheap. 1-year $3.5M. That's sick.

Stop it. You're just going to make me more depressed when we take a QB purely due to it being the "safe" pick. I am still firmly in the Clowney or trade down camp.

And I know I'm in the minority, but I kind of like Fitzpatrick. Dude is not afraid to scramble and he plays hard. He's had some nice partial seasons in the past. I haven't followed him super closely, but I recall the knock on him was that he struggled in Buffalo once it got cold (I think it stemmed from 2011 when he actually was injured, but kept playing, after a red hot start). If the cold thing was actually true then it won't be a problem here. I'd be very interested to see them give him a shot this year while they develop a non-first round QB (or simply wait until 2015 to draft/sign a new QB). His low salary would offset the Schaub cap hit nicely.

But a rookie QB with #1 will please the (majority of) fans and the media won't knock it. Rick Smith will be able to justify the pick regardless of how the QB turns out when he's possibly applying for new jobs next year. But in the off chance that they nut up and take Clowney... man, that's a tandem that could be legendary.

Is anyone else disappointed the Texans didn't make a run at Nicks? I know we don't have a lot of money to throw around, but damn he was cheap. 1-year $3.5M. That's sick.
I'd sum up Fitzpatrick as having the mental ability to play the game, but not the physical tools. I recall him having a tendency to throw a lot of balls hard, not because he's got a gun and can or needed to, but because he has to exert himself more than other QBs to make the throw. That affects touch and accuracy. It's a lot like Schaub throwing the ball deep... when you have to put everything you have into the throw, you lose some control and touch.

He's sometimes had a decent completion percentage, but has always been below average in metrics like yards per attempt, adjusted yards per attempt, etc. He knows where to throw the ball and when, and that is what kept him afloat as long as he lasted. It makes him a good backup, especially combined with a willingness to help teach the other QBs on the roster. Not a guy you'd want as a long term starter though. I think the signing was a perfect fit for drafting a QB in the 1st or 2nd. Or even the 3rd since we're picking early, if someone slides.

On Nicks, I wasn't thinking about him specifically at the time, but yes, I wouldn't have at all minded him at that price. We were paying Jacoby Jones an equivalent amount.

Texans got 3 compensatory picks, in the 4th, 6th and 7th rounds. The 7th rounder is the final pick in the draft / Mr. Irrelevant pick. These picks cannot be traded and occur at the end of the round.

With the pick from the Schaub trade, the Texans will now have 11 picks. 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounders, 2 in the 4th, a 5th, 3 in the 6th and 2 in the 7th.

I'd sum up Fitzpatrick as having the mental ability to play the game, but not the physical tools. I recall him having a tendency to throw a lot of balls hard, not because he's got a gun and can or needed to, but because he has to exert himself more than other QBs to make the throw. That affects touch and accuracy. It's a lot like Schaub throwing the ball deep... when you have to put everything you have into the throw, you lose some control and touch. throw the ball short and AJ is tackled immediately and scores no touchdowns, earning the scorn of fantasy owners everywhere for being a guy who can't find the end zone
Fixed.

But I do agree very much with your take on Fitzpatrick. His metrics have never been that good, but he's intelligent and he's a gamer. I think we could win with him if we had a good defense (read: Clowney), improved the right side of our line, and have a scheme that fits him. With him being a willing runner, he can pick up ticky tack third downs here and there and let our defense win games rather than throwing pick 6s. Obviously he's not a long term solution, but I'd rather roll with him for a year, or even two, than waste a #1 pick on a guy who not only turns out mediocre, but that we're forced to start for 4 years before we admit he's mediocre and move on. That would just be crippling for a franchise (see: David Carr). Not to mention the opportunity cost of a chance to have the most dominant D-line since the Giants in... 2007 (?).

I'm on board with that, FF Ninja. I'm perfectly happy with Clowney and then a 2nd round QB, and if that means even a full season of Fitzpatrick starting, I'll live with it. Next year might be a pretty decent draft for QBs as well, though no saying if the Texans will be at the top of the draft to be assured one then.

I'd sum up Fitzpatrick as having the mental ability to play the game, but not the physical tools. I recall him having a tendency to throw a lot of balls hard, not because he's got a gun and can or needed to, but because he has to exert himself more than other QBs to make the throw. That affects touch and accuracy. It's a lot like Schaub throwing the ball deep... when you have to put everything you have into the throw, you lose some control and touch. throw the ball short and AJ is tackled immediately and scores no touchdowns, earning the scorn of fantasy owners everywhere for being a guy who can't find the end zone
Fixed.

But I do agree very much with your take on Fitzpatrick. His metrics have never been that good, but he's intelligent and he's a gamer. I think we could win with him if we had a good defense (read: Clowney), improved the right side of our line, and have a scheme that fits him. With him being a willing runner, he can pick up ticky tack third downs here and there and let our defense win games rather than throwing pick 6s. Obviously he's not a long term solution, but I'd rather roll with him for a year, or even two, than waste a #1 pick on a guy who not only turns out mediocre, but that we're forced to start for 4 years before we admit he's mediocre and move on. That would just be crippling for a franchise (see: David Carr). Not to mention the opportunity cost of a chance to have the most dominant D-line since the Giants in... 2007 (?).
Great point about being forced to start the #1 pick in the draft at QB for four years. Because they will have taken him #1, they can't give up on him early unless he turns out to be a total bust. Even then they probably have to start him at least 3 years. If a 2nd round QB is not the answer, you can probably look for someone else after the 2nd year.

Free agent safety Chris Clemons is visiting Texans today. He played at Miami.

Chris Clemons, 28, played five years for Dolphins. He's 6-1, 214. Texans signed FS Kendrick Lewis last week.

per John Mcclai

And McClain's response, "no way"

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/8375/jadeveon-clowney

I don't know why the Bills would do this, but I'd have no problem with dropping to 9. There's a chance one of the QBs still falls here, or you'd have plenty of maneuverability to get back into the late first if you prefer a guy like Garropolo. It's most likely a BS rumor anyway, but what the hell this time of season is boring. Feels like the draft is never gonna get here...

I think how much the media moves players about based on Pro Days is way overblown, and wouldn't move Clowney much regardless of his Pro Day.

But it is a little heartening that teams seem to have come away from it feeling a little reassured about his work ethic, which is probably the biggest worry about him. I mean, far better than if he'd shown up out of shape or the like.

If I had to put down a bet now I'd say the Texans take Clowney. Next behind it would be that they trade down, which is their preference I think, just not sure they'll find someone willing to give enough.

I think how much the media moves players about based on Pro Days is way overblown, and wouldn't move Clowney much regardless of his Pro Day.

But it is a little heartening that teams seem to have come away from it feeling a little reassured about his work ethic, which is probably the biggest worry about him. I mean, far better than if he'd shown up out of shape or the like.

If I had to put down a bet now I'd say the Texans take Clowney. Next behind it would be that they trade down, which is their preference I think, just not sure they'll find someone willing to give enough.
I think you're confusing WB Pro Days with many others. QB Pro Days are basically useless IMO. The circus put on for those scripted dog and pony shows is laughable. Clowney's however had a very specific benefit that few other players could offer this year. The question of how well he could play in space? How does he move laterally? How does he move backwards? Is he a guy who can transition Into a 3-4 space player and drop, when needed? We saw none of that in his college games as he was a true 4-3 DE. I would think HOU fans, along with their coaches and scouts, were extremely interested in Clowney's Pro Day and found it immensely beneficial.

I've said a number of times the work ethic thing was totally overblown. Still, the fact that he came into that workout in amazing shape had to also instil comfort to those watching or perhaps holding that concern.

It's kind of silly to say a guy like Clowney was moved up based on his Pro Day. I say that only because he should have been the consensus top player in the draft already. There is no way to move up higher. I do however think Clowney clearly extended his already considerable gap as the top player in this draft, especially for a team like HOU. The movement skills he showcased where down right crazy. There is no way teams didn't walk away from that workout totally impressed and in awe.

I agree that getting to work out his drops and break on the ball as an OLB is definitely useful, since you don't get to see that normally. QB definitely is different, though most players, unless you are wanting them to do something fairly different (DE->OLB) than they did in college, the game tape should trump everything by a huge margin.

Users who are viewing this thread