What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How bad is Blaine Gabbert? (1 Viewer)

Let's see what he does with some talent around him first. The Jags seem committed to doing everything they can do to ensure he succeeds. Blackmon gives him a possession receiver who's can run after the catch, he should offset how inconsistent M. Lewis has been. Mike Thomas has had his moments. And giving the circumstances Laurent Robinson was under last year filling in for M. Austin and playing better than Dez Bryant he really surprised me being a journey man. I'm willing to throw last year out the book because most games I can't see what's going on downfield. If you throw in MJD and he's not looking like a promissing franchise qb Jac has too look for a vet and a guy to develope like Seattle did. I think he will improve tremendously based on improved teammates alone.

Gabbert could only get better after a horrific rookie season. But this is encouraging through 2 preseason games.

Blaine Gabbert completed 13-of-16 passes for 112 yards and two touchdowns in the Jaguars' second preseason game against the Saints.He scrambled twice for three yards. Through two preseason games, Gabbert has completed 18-of-26 passes (69.2 percent) for 174 yards (6.69 YPA), three touchdowns, and one turnover. If Gabbert continues to play efficient football and get rid of the pigskin quickly, he could improve the fantasy outlooks of receivers Justin Blackmon and Laurent Robinson. Blackmon caught four balls for 48 yards on Friday night, including a 16-yard scoring toss from Gabbert. Robinson has just one catch for seven yards so far in August.

Gabbert could only get better after a horrific rookie season. But this is encouraging through 2 preseason games.

Blaine Gabbert completed 13-of-16 passes for 112 yards and two touchdowns in the Jaguars' second preseason game against the Saints.He scrambled twice for three yards. Through two preseason games, Gabbert has completed 18-of-26 passes (69.2 percent) for 174 yards (6.69 YPA), three touchdowns, and one turnover. If Gabbert continues to play efficient football and get rid of the pigskin quickly, he could improve the fantasy outlooks of receivers Justin Blackmon and Laurent Robinson. Blackmon caught four balls for 48 yards on Friday night, including a 16-yard scoring toss from Gabbert. Robinson has just one catch for seven yards so far in August.
People thought Aaron Rodgers sucked in his first couple years.

:goodposting: I'm in no way comparing Gabbert to Rogers, but so far he's looked vastly different from the guy people saw last year. He had so many things stacked against him last year: major injuries along the line, subpar WR's, terrible coaching (he had a WR coach as a QB coach). This Jaguars fan is optimistic.

:goodposting: I'm in no way comparing Gabbert to Rogers, but so far he's looked vastly different from the guy people saw last year. He had so many things stacked against him last year: major injuries along the line, subpar WR's, terrible coaching (he had a WR coach as a QB coach). This Jaguars fan is optimistic.
You forgot no off-season and a horrible offensive line.

After watching him throughout his entire college career I think im qualified to say hes scared, of everything.

Ive never seen a more talented QB that is afraid to make any throw or abandon the pocket.

I think his NFL career was doomed from its inception.

After watching him throughout his entire college career I think im qualified to say hes scared, of everything.Ive never seen a more talented QB that is afraid to make any throw or abandon the pocket.I think his NFL career was doomed from its inception.
This isn't week three of 2011. Come on son, catch up.

You forgot 3rd string reps when training camp was eventually started.

The kid came into the NFL early, is tall, athletic, has a very good arm, got a 42 on the Wonderlic, and is by all account a gym rat; of course he improved. He still has a long way to go but the piling on with Gabbert in the media and with fans last season was extreme and ignorant.

You forgot 3rd string reps when training camp was eventually started.
I don't know how exactly to say this.... but Gabbert and Blackmon looked pretty good against the Saints in the Dome last night. Blackmon especially looks like a player. Yes, I realize it's early. Yes I realize it's preseason. Yes I saw Gabbert play last year.... but I'm thinking Blackmon might be worth something out the gate this year.

I didn't think he looked that great. Forced a couple passed into double teams to Blackmon and didn't throw they ball down field at all. He can't run 5 yard slants all year vs better teams. The one TD Blackmon took a 8 yard play too the house. I still don't see anything with Gabbert. He's a bust.

The kid came into the NFL early, is tall, athletic, has a very good arm, got a 42 on the Wonderlic, and is by all account a gym rat; of course he improved. He still has a long way to go but the piling on with Gabbert in the media and with fans last season was extreme and ignorant.
The 42 on the wonderlic was an incorrect score leaked on Gabbert. He actually scored a 31.

I'm not seeing any similarities between the two.. Rodgers looked terrible on his first 31 pass attempts, Gabbert looked terrible on his first 413 pass attempts, and perhaps counting; that's a sizable difference to say the least.

I'm not seeing any similarities between the two.. Rodgers looked terrible on his first 31 pass attempts, Gabbert looked terrible on his first 413 pass attempts, and perhaps counting; that's a sizable difference to say the least.
Um....Rodgers "looked terrible" for 2 full preseasons AND in 31 pass attempts during his first 2 seasons. (which I assume is what you're referring to) It's not like he only threw the ball 31 times from April - December over 2 seasons. He had many, many opportunities during training camp....and VERY FEW people thought he looked even remotely ready to be an NFL QB until he replaced an injured Favre vs Dallas in 2007. So while the situations aren't identical, and the comparison doesn't guarantee any future success for Gabbert....it's silly for you to write it off so easily.

Um....Rodgers "looked terrible" for 2 full preseasons AND in 31 pass attempts during his first 2 seasons. (which I assume is what you're referring to) It's not like he only threw the ball 31 times from April - December over 2 seasons. He had many, many opportunities during training camp....and VERY FEW people thought he looked even remotely ready to be an NFL QB until he replaced an injured Favre vs Dallas in 2007. So while the situations aren't identical, and the comparison doesn't guarantee any future success for Gabbert....it's silly for you to write it off so easily.
Rodgers was also 24 and in his fourth season when he started his first game. It is difficult to compare QBs that play early in their career to QBs that do not. For example there has been a lot of talk about Gabbert being a bust but little about Locker. Locker was chosen earlier and has played very few meaningful minutes, yet he is seen as having more potential by many people.

Blaine Gabbert completed 13-of-16 passes for 112 yards and two touchdowns in the Jaguars' second preseason game against the Saints.

He scrambled twice for three yards. Through two preseason games, Gabbert has completed 18-of-26 passes (69.2 percent) for 174 yards (6.69 YPA), three touchdowns, and one turnover. If Gabbert continues to play efficient football and get rid of the pigskin quickly, he could improve the fantasy outlooks of receivers Justin Blackmon and Laurent Robinson. Blackmon caught four balls for 48 yards on Friday night, including a 16-yard scoring toss from Gabbert. Robinson has just one catch for seven yards so far in August.
Ignoring the fact that the preseason is essentially meaningless and that training camp reports offer only anecdotal information, Rodgers actually looked good in the 2006 training camp, and in the 2006 preseason he had a QB rating of 101.1. My point is that comparing players based on preseason and training camp performances instead of on actual NFL game performance is pointless.

Ignoring the fact that the preseason is essentially meaningless and that training camp reports offer only anecdotal information, Rodgers actually looked good in the 2006 training camp, and in the 2006 preseason he had a QB rating of 101.1. My point is that comparing players based on preseason and training camp performances instead of on actual NFL game performance is pointless.
I agree almost completely, but there is informatino available during preseason that is still relevant, this game from Gabbert is good news for him. But ill wait to change my opinion until he cant do it more than once in the regular season.

I agree almost completely, but there is informatino available during preseason that is still relevant, this game from Gabbert is good news for him. But ill wait to change my opinion until he cant do it more than once in the regular season.
I agree, hearing good news about a player in the preseason is undoubtedly better than hearing bad news. I just think comparing players based on preseason play is foolish.

I agree, hearing good news about a player in the preseason is undoubtedly better than hearing bad news. I just think comparing players based on preseason play is foolish.
For sure, plenty of players blow in preseason to continue into the regular season as terrible at best.Looking at you Lance Kendricks.

He really had absolutely no one to throw to last year, and his TD to INT ratio was still better than Ponder's, who at least had Percy Harvin. I think Blackmon and Robinson will make a big difference for him this year.

Blaine Gabbert completed 13-of-16 passes for 112 yards and two touchdowns in the Jaguars' second preseason game against the Saints.

He scrambled twice for three yards. Through two preseason games, Gabbert has completed 18-of-26 passes (69.2 percent) for 174 yards (6.69 YPA), three touchdowns, and one turnover. If Gabbert continues to play efficient football and get rid of the pigskin quickly, he could improve the fantasy outlooks of receivers Justin Blackmon and Laurent Robinson. Blackmon caught four balls for 48 yards on Friday night, including a 16-yard scoring toss from Gabbert. Robinson has just one catch for seven yards so far in August.
USA Today???? Priceless.Go check out some old threads on Rodgers.

USA Today???? Priceless.Go check out some old threads on Rodgers.
'wannabee said:
Packers | Rodgers has a good morning practice

Published Sun Jul 30 11:59:00 p.m. ET 2006

(KFFL) Cliff Christl, of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, reports Green Bay Packers backup QB Aaron Rodgers was six of six passing in team drills during the morning practice Sunday, July 30. He ran the first-team offense because QB Brett Favre (ankle) did not practice. It probably was his best practice so far.
'LHUCKS said:
Watching the scrimmage on NFL network as well. Nothing really of note...Jennings does look good. Rodgers looks a lot more comfortable in the pocket. That's about it.
'trader jake said:
RANDOM OBSERVATIONS FROM THESCRIMMAGE SATURDAY NIGHT

QB's

- Aaron Rodgers looked decent but the back-up players he was playing with couldn't catch the damn ball. It looked more like an issue with them, but i can't dismiss the possibility that rodgers isn't throwing a "catchable" ball.
'packersfan said:
I thought Rodgers looked OK. He threw some nice balls that, as the original poster mentioned, his WRs didn't help him with at all. His passes didn't have much zip, though, but I thought he looked pretty poised for the most part. I did have to laugh when he spiked the ball after scoring a TD on a bootleg. Ummm Aaron, you scored because the defensive players aren't allowed to tackle you. :D
That's all the posts on this board I could find that deal with the 2006 training camp :shrug:

I'm comfortable saying he's passed my eyeball test in surprising fashion preseason week 1. This warrants further DVR study week 2. He can be had for a song in every format save start 2 QB leagues so if you don't draft for another week or so watch a few more reps and see how he looks.

Blaine Gabbert's confidence, effectiveness show at quarterback in Jaguars' game with Saints

By Vinnie Iyer

NEW ORLEANS—Blaine Gabbert looked confident, fearless and efficient in executing the Jacksonville Jaguars offense in the team's second NFL preseason game against the New Orleans Saints on Friday night. In other words, he looked nothing like the skittish quarterback he was for most of his 2011 rookie season.

It didn't matter that the Jags were without their best offensive player, running back Maurice Jones-Drew, who is in the midst of a contract holdout. They stayed balanced with a strong rushing attack to help their second-year QB, and he didn't disappoint in coolly playing off it against the Saints' first-team defense in a noisy road environment.

"It's night and day from last year," Jaguars cornerback Rashean Mathis said. "He is showing that when he has time, he is able to deliver the ball. He's able to go through his reads and make the throws. Kudos to the offensive line and big kudos to Blaine. He's been impressive."

Gabbert (13-for-16, 112 yards passing, two touchdowns, 135.4 passer rating) drove the Jaguars to 17 points on his five first-half drives. With Rashad Jennings playing the role of Jones-Drew pounding away on the left side of the line, Gabbert took advantage of the resulting comfort zone and play-action opportunities.

He stood in the face of the Saints' pressure, instead of scrambling hastily to escape it. He used the true go-to No. 1 wide receiver he didn't have last season—rookie first-round pick Justin Blackmon—to make himself look good. When it wasn't there downfield, he found a sneaky good checkdown option in unknown tight end Colin Cloherty.

That was all on display right away, after Jennings reeled off 22 yards on two carries to send Gabbert on his way. He showed the necessary good chemistry with Blackmon, first in a short 8-yard pass to the left and then zipped him a laser for 16-yard touchdown on a tough third down.

"He's a great target, a big, physical receiver," Gabbert said of Blackmon. "He showed you what he can do after the ball is in his hands. He's going to play a huge role on the offense."

Where did this Gabbert come from? The addition of Blackmon has helped, as has improved play from first-round left tackle Eugene Monroe. But the biggest development was bringing in new head coach Mike Mularkey to work with Gabbert in his first full NFL offseason.

Mularkey knows the Saints' defensive personnel well and how to exploit them from his previous gig as the Atlanta Falcons' offensive coordinator. So it was a good opportunity to get Gabbert going with a game plan that Mularkey often used to quickly turn Matt Ryan into unrattled starting quarterback.

While Gabbert continues to make the transition to a pro-style offense from the college spread, it is not in the Jaguars' best interest to unleash a wide-open passing game just yet.

With Jones-Drew or Jennings playing the role of Michael Turner—a power runner to set up an effective short-to-intermediate passing game—Gabbert will stay in a position to succeed.

"He stands in the pocket. The protection for the most part has been very good," Mularkey said. "We got to stop some of the penalties we're creating down here in the red zone, making it tough on ourselves, but overall I'm pretty pleased with the way they performed in the first half."

There will be a time when Gabbert will be called upon to let it fly, when both he and Blackmon are ready for it. For now, however, it is major growth for Gabbert to just consistently show a pocket presence.

It will take some big plays and big wins from Gabbert in regular-season games for critics of his rough beginning to come around on the idea that he will be the Jaguars' decade-long solution at quarterback. But you can bet Gabbert's own renewed confidence gives Jacksonville officials a lot more confidence they made the right draft decision.

A good article about Gabbert overcoming the "scared" label.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--jaguars-second-year-qb-blaine-gabbert-out-to-show-critics-he-s-not--scared-.html

He did have a tremendous number of strikes against him.
In regards to him looking scared:"So that argument, I think, is just a copout for people to make because they're – I don't want to necessarily want to say jealous – but, they couldn't do my job. And that's the truth. They can't do my job"

No Gab... people aren't saying it because they're jealous of you. They're saying it because you're running around scared while the other '31 guys that can do your job' are making plays.

That said, Gab does look better, but him obviously not admitting to any problems with his play last year has me worried.

30/58 for 313 with 3 TDs / 0 INTs through 2 games

Not good stats. But I think Blaine is a lightning rod for people piling on. He had a bad game week two against a very good defense while the Jaguars offensive line was dealing multiple injury issues and right on queue the haters come out of the wood work.

Keep in mind his career stats through his first 16 games in the NFL are 240/471 for 2,527, 15 TDs / 11 INTs. While the YPA leaves a lot to be desired it really is not that bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
30/58 for 313 with 3 TDs / 0 INTs through 2 gamesNot good stats. But I think Blaine is a lightning rod for people piling on. He had a bad game week two against a very good defense while the Jaguars offensive line was dealing multiple injury issues and right on queue the haters come out of the wood work.
Bad doesnt describe it, I dont care how many injuries or the defense you are playing. If you only throw for 53 yards and lead your team to 117 yards in 4 quarters your an awful quarterback.

"Gabbert SENSED pressure"...

He must be a medium or something and can sense ghost pressure. He has the same issues he's always had. He senses pressure when there is none and doesn't go through reads. Too afraid to throw the ball downfield. His stats from last week show that. Absolutely no excuse to have 53 passing yards in a half of football. He was stuck on 41 yards or so for a long time. Must have completed about 8 passes before the half to get him to 53 yards.

Fire Gene Smith.

30/58 for 313 with 3 TDs / 0 INTs through 2 gamesNot good stats. But I think Blaine is a lightning rod for people piling on. He had a bad game week two against a very good defense while the Jaguars offensive line was dealing multiple injury issues and right on queue the haters come out of the wood work.
Bad doesnt describe it, I dont care how many injuries or the defense you are playing. If you only throw for 53 yards and lead your team to 117 yards in 4 quarters your an awful quarterback.
Eli Manning, week 14 of 2004 against Balt:4 for 18 for 27 yards 0 TDS / 2 INTsEven QBs that eventually develop can have bad days. The piling on with Gabbert has gotten to an almost comical level.

30/58 for 313 with 3 TDs / 0 INTs through 2 games

Not good stats. But I think Blaine is a lightning rod for people piling on. He had a bad game week two against a very good defense while the Jaguars offensive line was dealing multiple injury issues and right on queue the haters come out of the wood work.
Eli Manning, week 14 of 2004 against Balt:4 for 18 for 27 yards 0 TDS / 2 INTs

Even QBs that eventually develop can have bad days. The piling on with Gabbert has gotten to an almost comical level.
Agreed. Not everyone is Cam, Luck, or RG3, whom I see all having relative success early.

The old adage was that it took 5 years to develop a QB. Some guys just take time. Coaching, opportunity, surrounding talent are different for everyone. He does appear to be getting better. Even if he maxes out at the 26th "best" QB in the league, he's still the 26th best pro football QB in the world. Give him a little credit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like Alex Smith is finally coming around after all this time.

Of course there are always the David Carrs, Matt Leinarts, and Vince Youngs.

i traded for Gabbert this offseason after making fun of him last year.

he's a boom or bust pick to me, i think he's got a higher ceiling than some of the other young quarterbacks who will cost you a lot more to acquire.

Despite last week's performance, I really like Gabbert this year. I think we're going to find that Houston is the stud D of the year. Gabbert is going to improve as the year goes on and Blackmon will help him get there.

Even if he maxes out at the 26th "best" QB in the league, he's still the 26th best pro football QB in the world.
Nah, there's plenty of teams with backups better than Blaine. Jacksonville is one of them.
Chad Henne has never finished a season with a QB rating as high as Gabbert's is right now. And that is after having one of the worst games in Jaguars history in week two.
RIGHT NOW, Jacksonville is thinking about changing quarterbacks.

Here's a stat for you:

3.8 YPA on 3rd down - 2nd worst in the NFL. 8 first downs on 37 pass attempts.

Who's worst?

Russell Wilson with 2.85 YPA. 6 first downs on 27 pass attempts.

At the halfway point Blaine is showing some improvement. Completion percentage is up 5% from last season, 7/3 TD/INT ratio up from 12/11 last season, QB rating at 77.9 up from 65.4, and YPA is still too low but up .4 over 2011.

He still has plenty of work to do but overall I like the progress. If he can make yet another jump in production in the second half of this season he might just have a future yet in the NFL.

At the halfway point Blaine is showing some improvement. Completion percentage is up 5% from last season, 7/3 TD/INT ratio up from 12/11 last season, QB rating at 77.9 up from 65.4, and YPA is still too low but up .4 over 2011.He still has plenty of work to do but overall I like the progress. If he can make yet another jump in production in the second half of this season he might just have a future yet in the NFL.
You like the progress? The excruciatingly S-L-O-W progress, where a 5% jump in completion percentage is cause for celebration???Man, that is sad.

Users who are viewing this thread