What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How 'bout them Reds! (3 Viewers)

:kicksrock:

Pretty much went in the toilet when Winker got hurt.  Winker, Senzel, Naquin all hurt, as well as Moustakas (who's not performing well anyway).

:kicksrock:

Pretty much went in the toilet when Winker got hurt.  Winker, Senzel, Naquin all hurt, as well as Moustakas (who's not performing well anyway).
Honestly, I’ve already put Senzel in the Devin Mesoraco bucket and consider that basically a lost roster spot.

Don”t know if Winker would’ve been enough to keep the whole offense from going into that swoon but it sure would’ve nice to have him. With that run the Cardinals put on, it may have been moot anyway.

Tucker traded.  A real class act.  

Sad to see him go, but glad to see Tyler Stephenson get a full time chance and hopefully this signals that they're going to do what is necessary to keep Castellanos.

The Barnhart trade and Castellanos opting out I understand, but the Miley thing to me just looks like a money dump.

Guess they think they can plug Greene in there.

Counting on a lot of guys to be dramatically better than last year (Castillo, Gray, Moustakas, Suarez, the whole bullpen) and then you have to hope Naquin can be a full time starter and put up those same numbers because Senzel won’t stay healthy, Shogo hasn’t clicked, and Aquino can’t hit on an everyday level.That still leaves a hole in the outfield.

I hope the Reds can give Castellanos a big enough offer to keep him and not cripple the team, because I think him, India  and Winker together at the top is something special.

They threw a QO at Castellanos so at least they'll get a draft pick back when he signs elsewhere.

But yeah, it's going to be another year of penny pinching and poor-mouthing from Reds ownership.

Opening day tickets are being transferred to first home game, and it looks like they are going to move the opening day parade to that day.   So we good.

Opening day tickets are being transferred to first home game, and it looks like they are going to move the opening day parade to that day.   So we good.
I was going to post this for you yesterday, but I wasn't sure if I was allowed to yet.

I also know they are hoping make sure the first home game, opening day, is a 4:10 start time.

I read yesterday that they are freeing up money for free agency signings.  LOL we'll see.

Kind of wished I took that refund on opening day tickets when it got moved.

I said in the MLB thread they should see if Votto would accept a trade to Toronto.  He deserves a shot at the postseason and he's sure as hell not getting one with this clown show.

I really want to comment in here, but I have to be careful.  

I certainly get the angst from people based on what they are seeing, and with the Bengals raising expectations in the city, it makes it harder for many to stomach.

However, one thing I will say is this.  Anybody who doesn't believe Bob wants to win doesn't have a clue.  But there is a difference in wanting to win and selling all out at a chance to win.  The beginning of the Reds window was the 2020 season, and that got wrecked.  Bad luck?  Self-induced?  maybe.  Either way, based on the new CBA, teams with lower potential payrolls are not going to be able to compete EVERY year like the teams that do spend upwards of 300 million+  Personally, I think that got worse with this new CBA, and that is what teams have to deal with. 

It will come back around.  I really think they have a good farm system and some real young talent.  From here on out, it seems like we will always be a "window of opportunity" team.  Ride em high and low.  The experience of going to the game is still a great time and hopefully people will continue to see that.  Sure, winning is always more fun, but no matter how bad or good a team is, every team has a chance to win or lose on any given day.  

@shuke:  Opening day is the ultimate day of optimism, so enjoy it for what it is.  Its going to be great.  

I really want to comment in here, but I have to be careful.  

I certainly get the angst from people based on what they are seeing, and with the Bengals raising expectations in the city, it makes it harder for many to stomach.

However, one thing I will say is this.  Anybody who doesn't believe Bob wants to win doesn't have a clue.  But there is a difference in wanting to win and selling all out at a chance to win.  The beginning of the Reds window was the 2020 season, and that got wrecked.  Bad luck?  Self-induced?  maybe.  Either way, based on the new CBA, teams with lower potential payrolls are not going to be able to compete EVERY year like the teams that do spend upwards of 300 million+  Personally, I think that got worse with this new CBA, and that is what teams have to deal with. 

It will come back around.  I really think they have a good farm system and some real young talent.  From here on out, it seems like we will always be a "window of opportunity" team.  Ride em high and low.  The experience of going to the game is still a great time and hopefully people will continue to see that.  Sure, winning is always more fun, but no matter how bad or good a team is, every team has a chance to win or lose on any given day.  

@shuke:  Opening day is the ultimate day of optimism, so enjoy it for what it is.  Its going to be great.  

Understood, but I don't want to hear lip service that they aren't rebuilding or not focusing on progressing young talent.  The moves don't seem consistent.

From what I've looked at, Reds would have been on the hook for 10M for both Gray or Miley this year.  If they wanted to dump those salaries, fine.  But then they add Minor for 10M.  :shrug:  

shuke said:
Understood, but I don't want to hear lip service that they aren't rebuilding or not focusing on progressing young talent.  The moves don't seem consistent.

From what I've looked at, Reds would have been on the hook for 10M for both Gray or Miley this year.  If they wanted to dump those salaries, fine.  But then they add Minor for 10M.  :shrug:  
I get it.  It was reported that they also received cash in the deal, but I'm not sure how much, and I don't know if that changes much.  

Personally, I think the anger is directed in the wrong place.  Baseball has no competitive balance and parity throughout the majors.  That is the issue that needs to be addressed at the league level among the owners to figure it out.  The new CBA made things worse for teams with smaller payrolls, and those teams, Reds included, are going to have to pick their spots. 

I suspect that they're trying to appease the fanbase after dumping/trading Barnhart/Miley/Gray/Winker/Suarez and (stop me if you've heard this before) half-assing the rebuild as a result.

I suspect that they're trying to appease the fanbase after dumping/trading Barnhart/Miley/Gray/Winker/Suarez and (stop me if you've heard this before) half-assing the rebuild as a result.

It would be worse if Pham and Donnie Barrels were blocking somebody but I don't see many position players in the system who will be ready this year. They do have some good looking minor league arms (TINSTAAPP notwithstanding).

It would be worse if Pham and Donnie Barrels were blocking somebody but I don't see many position players in the system who will be ready this year. They do have some good looking minor league arms (TINSTAAPP notwithstanding).
Seems like it's worse (in a different way) that there's nobody for them to block :sadbanana:

Seems like it's worse (in a different way) that there's nobody for them to block :sadbanana:

I've seen farm system rankings that put the Reds organization in the top ten.  But the only position player prospect who's close just had wrist surgery.

It's not a terrible signing if Pham's not totally washed, They needed right handed bats.  I liked Donovan Solano with the Giants--he rarely had a bad AB.

I've seen farm system rankings that put the Reds organization in the top ten.  But the only position player prospect who's close just had wrist surgery.

It's not a terrible signing if Pham's not totally washed, They needed right handed bats.  I liked Donovan Solano with the Giants--he rarely had a bad AB.
Yeah and they need warm bodies (and a decent bat) in the outfield because Shogo and Aquino haven't shown a lot of OBP talent. Aquino has power, but K's a lot.

I get it.  It was reported that they also received cash in the deal, but I'm not sure how much, and I don't know if that changes much.  

Personally, I think the anger is directed in the wrong place.  Baseball has no competitive balance and parity throughout the majors.  That is the issue that needs to be addressed at the league level among the owners to figure it out.  The new CBA made things worse for teams with smaller payrolls, and those teams, Reds included, are going to have to pick their spots. 
The problem with this is the team was better than normal.  I honestly think they were a toss up to make the playoffs.  If you're going to sell off when the team is good, what are we rebuilding for?  To get back to good and sell again?

Let's call it what it is.  They took a pretty good team and made it a pretty bad team without noticeable improvement to the farm system.

Ok Reds experts, what's the deal with Luis Castillo and his shoulder right now?  I am in a slow auction and want to know if Castillo is worth going after.   I know he was rough last year and kind of turned it around.  What's the insider buzz on his shoulder (I know the latest is he won't be ready for opening day)?   Is it just a  minor thing or trouble?

Yesterday was fun despite the loss.  I found my new ballpark hero.

Still having trouble processing what I heard from Phil Castellini before the game.  Sorry @Caesar, but that came across as a total D-bag.
I hear ya, man.  Not much I can say there (if I want to keep my job)

I am glad you had fun.  It was crazy, and my nephew got his first foul ball, so it was a good day and a huge weight off my shoulders.  Now we can get back to our normal business keeping things ready for the fans.

This place is better with fans in it.  Bottom line.  

Yesterday was fun despite the loss.  I found my new ballpark hero.

Still having trouble processing what I heard from Phil Castellini before the game.  Sorry @Caesar, but that came across as a total D-bag.
So apparently they pulled the mlb tv app from my old Apple TV….

Between the lockout, this Apple TV BS, and Phil Castellini’s smarmy mouth, I guess they don’t want me to watch a lineup with like seven 8-hole hitters in it try to compete.

Giving credit where credit is due, zipping past Jim Bowden on the dbag pantheon like that is impressive though.

Why is tonight's game not on Bally?
Part of Apple TV+’s exclusive Friday night  baseball this year. So exclusive my older model AppleTV can’t even watch it. I suppose I could have put it on my phone and tried Airplaying it to the TV, but after a couple beers, a couple bourbons, and a cigar, why ruin the evening figuring out a tech issue?

Because, you know, making  games harder and harder to watch is going to do wonders for the popularity of the  sport.

Users who are viewing this thread