What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How concerned are you about your job? (1 Viewer)

10 being very concerned, 1 not at all... If things don't improve within the next 3 months, how conce

Votes: 14 4.0%

Votes: 16 4.6%

Votes: 24 6.9%

Votes: 18 5.2%

Votes: 14 4.0%

Votes: 29 8.4%

Votes: 23 6.6%

Votes: 46 13.3%

Votes: 43 12.4%

Votes: 119 34.4%

• Total voters
We are facing some issues for sure.  Cannabis is supposed to be somewhat recession proof, but it may not be C19-proof.  We're probably going to have to furlough some folks next week.

😞

As I just posted.. the trend has begun as our company just reduced pay to all by 20%. :mellow:  
Sounds like the perfect excuse for that Pharmaceutical job jump
Yea.. Been talking to my wife a LOT about that.. Even before the meeting today.. Luckily promotions that were put in before this down turn are being honored, or I for sure would be interviewing...
I'll find out from my manager this afternoon how much my Promotion increase is.. Depending on that amount, and other questions I have for him, it will help me me decide whether to at least go through the 1st interview or not..

:mellow:  

Yea.. Been talking to my wife a LOT about that.. Even before the meeting today.. Luckily promotions that were put in before this down turn are being honored, or I for sure would be interviewing...
I'll find out from my manager this afternoon how much my Promotion increase is.. Depending on that amount, and other questions I have for him, it will help me me decide whether to at least go through the 1st interview or not..

What industry are you currently in?

Well.. Not as bad as I feared..

No Major layoffs.. But to position them for a "brighter future" ...

20% Salary reduction across the board for Q2..
They will reexamine this at the end of Q2 to see if it needs to be extended.

No 401(k) match for the rest of the year
No merit increase for 2020 ( they were to go into effect starting April 1st)...
But, as I mentioned above, I was put in for a promotion back in January, and they will honor Promotions.
No Reduced hours, or furloughing...... yet.. But this will be re-looked at during Q2. .. 

Could have been worse.. 80% pay is better then unemployed.. :thumbup:  
Congrats and sorry.  Better than the alternatives, but still not fun. 

What industry are you currently in?
Personally.. Office 365 Admin.. Mainly SharePoint, Power Apps & flows. But also provide Admin support for Exchange, MS Teams, OneDrive, etc.

The current company I work at provides business apps and services.. A lot of that is for Small business..  thus the uncertainty. :mellow:

Last edited by a moderator:
We got a confirmation of no pay cuts or layoffs as of now through April 30. At that point, they will reevaluate. I think thats at least a little peace of mind, but i will start pinching pennies now just in case the next round of news is not so positive. 

hope all are well, and able to ride this out to the best of your ability. 

As I just posted.. the trend has begun as our company just reduced pay to all by 20%. :mellow:  

well.. 1-on-1 with manager got pushed to tomorrow.. 😕
Didn't want to wait too long so decided it can't hurt to keep my options open so sent my resume in for the other position.

well.. 1-on-1 with manager got pushed to tomorrow.. 😕
Didn't want to wait too long so decided it can't hurt to keep my options open so sent my resume in for the other position.
Feeling about as secure as any can at this point after my 1-on-1..
My promotion went through with a 15% raise. this promotion also moved me from the 5% yearly bonus to the 10% Bonus plan.. As my manager and I spoke about, thanks to the promotion going through, instead of a 20% cut like all others( they are not getting any merit increases this year), mine is more like a 5% cut..

Considering what others are going through right now with the millions of lay offs I count myself fortunate.
I will use this positive news to continue to help support the Small Businesses in my area and those that were laid off. :thumbup:  

Had the corporate call today -  not bad all things considered.   All merit increases postponed from April 1 to October 1.  Forced week of vacation April 6-9.   Some TWA and enhanced sabbatical opportunities may be available in the next couple weeks.  

Figure things could go downhill, but this is all manageable.  

Not sure if this is the correct post for this, but I'll give it a shot. I'm a union carpenter. I generally work in three different states throughout the year, DE, PA, MD. IF I file for unemployment in, say, PA (the state with the highest weekly payments) does unemployment only look at and count the hours I work in PA when calculating my benefits? Or will it look at all three states?

I've been fortunate to have never needed to file before,  so I'm curious. 

Not sure if this is the correct post for this, but I'll give it a shot. I'm a union carpenter. I generally work in three different states throughout the year, DE, PA, MD. IF I file for unemployment in, say, PA (the state with the highest weekly payments) does unemployment only look at and count the hours I work in PA when calculating my benefits? Or will it look at all three states?

No idea, but this may help?

https://bizfluent.com/info-8473839-multistate-unemployment-rules.html

You file in your home state and they calculate total income.

We are facing some issues for sure.  Cannabis is supposed to be somewhat recession proof, but it may not be C19-proof.  We're probably going to have to furlough some folks next week.

😞
Need more information, the dispensaries here in Florida have been busy. 

Why would a product in demand need to furlough? The cannabis shops were on the exceptions list for non-essentials here meaning they were ordered to stay open. 

Ministry of Pain said:
Need more information, the dispensaries here in Florida have been busy. 

Why would a product in demand need to furlough? The cannabis shops were on the exceptions list for non-essentials here meaning they were ordered to stay open. 
We are the seed to sale software business and don't touch the plant. Our biggest client is actually one the large chains in Florida. Yes, there was an initial surge of purchasing over the last few weeks, but that's dropped off and we are seeing some issues inside the supply chain in some states.  Mass has shut down rec sales, but is keeping medical open. 

We are the seed to sale software business and don't touch the plant. Our biggest client is actually one the large chains in Florida. Yes, there was an initial surge of purchasing over the last few weeks, but that's dropped off and we are seeing some issues inside the supply chain in some states.  Mass has shut down rec sales, but is keeping medical open. 
Bon SInclair-France, daily during the CV-19, everyday FB Live, 17k now tuning in, your kind of music I hope. 9am East/6am West, great way to get the day moving. 

I figured this was coming, but it still sucks.  Company ended my contract a month early due to store closings and lack of projects.  I was told all contractors/consultants are being released in efforts to reduce capital expenditures.  I was told they'd be happy for me to come back in the future, but they obviously don't know when that will be.

In the meantime, I need to figure out next steps.  I've had 3 recruiters reach out to me this last week, so I started there.  But given the current climate, I'm not sure of finding any new IT BA jobs in my area right away.  Our state is on the "StayHome" order for at least another week - with hints that it could go longer.

Whoa.  Can I change my answer?  My supervisors just came into my office to alert me that they let go of a senior PM (who was probably a year or two away from retirement) and another PM on the east coast.  In the short term I will be even busier than normal and it looks like my job security is fairly solid now.  

Whoa.  Can I change my answer?  My supervisors just came into my office to alert me that they let go of a senior PM (who was probably a year or two away from retirement) and another PM on the east coast.  In the short term I will be even busier than normal and it looks like my job security is fairly solid now.  
I just had the opposite happen. I thought I was on solid footing (vp marketing - but can perform in sales, accounts and product), but just found out an hour ago I’m being furloughed for at least 30 days. Company was kind of in shaky startup mode anyway and our CEO was having trouble closing this latest round of funding.

I’m hoping for the best.

I can't say that I'd be heart broken if I got furloughed for a month.    The unemployment and additional $600 per week being kicked in by the fed is more than enough to cover expenses and that's before taking into account that I could have my mortgage payments suspended.    Furloughed is much better than being laid off as your not even required to look for a new job in order to collect bennies.   The only thing that would be especially nice if they continued insurance.    

One thing this has made me appreciate more is those lower wage workers who you know go unappreciated every day prior to this. 

Delivery drivers are getting all the work they can handle right now.
I was just thinking about this this morning - but I guess more in a "people suck" kind of way. You now see people on Facebook touting grocery store workers and delivery guys as heroes, but you know a year for now, once this is all forgotten, they'll be posts calling those people morons  because they didn't know which aisle the ketchup was in when asked for assistance.

5, mostly government contracts, and I don't have a big enough target on my back, aka underpaid.  I got. 6% raise in January and a promotion a few weeks ago, with a "increase won't come until end of June because a freeze on pay increases".  I'm not expecting that, but I'm greatful to just have a job at this point.  The last sesh was rough on me, and I don't want to do that again.

5, mostly government contracts, and I don't have a big enough target on my back, aka underpaid.  I got. 6% raise in January and a promotion a few weeks ago, with a "increase won't come until end of June because a freeze on pay increases".  I'm not expecting that, but I'm greatful to just have a job at this point.  The last sesh was rough on me, and I don't want to do that again.
Don't you just do your job once a year?

When our CEO states in the meeting we just had that all employees, including Executive Leader Team, will have a reduction of 20%.. as well as that the ELT members will not get bonuses/extra compensation for Q2, I tend to trust that..  

As a company that is heavily dependent on Small Business revenue coming in, a 20% reduction in salary is better then the company closing their doors until this is over.

:shrug:  
Just want you to know that I appreciate the post, I'm with you but I'm sad you have to lose any money. I think most folks who have a career or decent job in general earn every penny they make. I am Pro-Worker all the way and think those folks are the first people that should be given a handout from the government or at least "Extra" money for getting off their butts and going to work. 

If the avg person is getting $1200 and they already don't go to work much, the ones who mow thru 40-60+ hours a week should be getting $3,000 or more.

We are going into debt 2 Trillion, what's another 1-2 trillion for the men and women who make the rich richer and keep the poor alive and fairly comfy. 

A small business owner I know that had a majority of work tied to the restaurant industry laid off half their business, then brought back some after the stimulus announcement.  I think it had to do with complexities of the accounting and layi g people off.  They are going to be able to qualify for more money now or something.  I know all the small businesses are getting a huge loan that may or may not have to be paid off.  

A small business owner I know that had a majority of work tied to the restaurant industry laid off half their business, then brought back some after the stimulus announcement.  I think it had to do with complexities of the accounting and layi g people off.  They are going to be able to qualify for more money now or something.  I know all the small businesses are getting a huge loan that may or may not have to be paid off.  
Yes, if you work for a small business and are worried about your job (or have already been laid-off), make sure the owners are aware of the Paycheck Protection Program. The gov will cover 8 weeks of payroll+rent for a small biz if they don't lay-off any employees. It's retroactive, so they can re-hire if they already laid-off and still qualify. Here's a great document with info... https://www.uschamber.com/sites/default/files/023595_comm_corona_virus_smallbiz_loan_final.pdf

I can't say that I'd be heart broken if I got furloughed for a month.    The unemployment and additional $600 per week being kicked in by the fed is more than enough to cover expenses and that's before taking into account that I could have my mortgage payments suspended.    Furloughed is much better than being laid off as your not even required to look for a new job in order to collect bennies.   The only thing that would be especially nice if they continued insurance.    
:confused:  I thought I read that if you get furloughed, rather then laid off, then that allows you to keep the insurance you had..

Or is that company dependent? 

Feel like we need another poll for furloughed folks "how concerned are you about getting your job back"?

Last week, I felt totally fine, and was actually a bit relieved to be furloughed (only in that it was a definitive answer to a question we all were asking). Yesterday, for the first time, I was like - damn, my job may not exist in 2 or 3 months.

To give a bit more backstory - I work in a children's museum. I lead the team that designs and fabricates and installs our exhibits. I am questioning when the the hell masses of people and families are going to want to all be in a confined museum space. On a good day, we get 4000 visitors. I sure as hell wouldn't want to be around that many people. At least not anytime in the foreseeable future.

With staff layoffs and furloughs, we have enough money to stay afloat until July. What happens after that? Who the hell knows. As a point of reference, we are one of the busiest and most succesful childrens museum in the country. We are certainly not alone in this, and I fear that hundreds, if not thousands of cultural institutions may not be able to get back on their feet after all this

Getting more concerned by the day. I work in the HVAC business, and we are already getting calls from customers concerned about techs coming into their houses.

Also, with the number of people being furloughed or laid off this year, we are about to hit our peak time in about 6 weeks, depending on weather. There will be a lot of potential customers choosing not to fix their air conditioners because they simply won't have the money.

Hoping I survive the summer and things settle down going into fall.

:confused:  I thought I read that if you get furloughed, rather then laid off, then that allows you to keep the insurance you had..

Not sure.   Haven't seen anything about that.   If its just for a month or two, might be better off not having it b/c you always have the option of cobra if you need insurance and if you don't, then that saves you a month or two of premiums.  Its a little bit of a gamble though as cobra premiums will almost certainly be higher.

Not sure.   Haven't seen anything about that.   If its just for a month or two, might be better off not having it b/c you always have the option of cobra if you need insurance and if you don't, then that saves you a month or two of premiums.  Its a little bit of a gamble though as cobra premiums will almost certainly be higher.
Biggest mistake I made last year when I was laid off from my other company.. I paid for COBRA when the insurance from the other company ran out... and then 2 weeks later got hired by my new company..

It wasn't until later I realized I could have held off on paying COBRA for 45 days. :wall:  

Biggest mistake I made last year when I was laid off from my other company.. I paid for COBRA when the insurance from the other company ran out... and then 2 weeks later got hired by my new company..

It wasn't until later I realized I could have held off on paying COBRA for 45 days. :wall:  
I think its actually even more than that if you really want to work the system.   You have 60 days to just elect to have cobra and then another 45 days after that to make your first payment.  So technically you have 105 days or thereabouts to decide.   

ETA:   For people that do lose insurance and are considering cobra, for smaller expenses like just going to the doc and getting some antibiotics, you can always just pay out of pocket instead of taking on the higher cobra premium.    The nice thing about cobra is that as long as you don't miss the date cutoffs, you can always retroactively file a claim if you decide to go ahead with cobra.

I am still not too worried about myself.

I am starting to worry about my team.  Some of these people are young and likely don't have savings built up.

Even if they aren't cut, the vast chunk of their pay is commission and that will likely be near 0 for March/April.. maybe into May.

I'm safe for now.  Architecture firm and we have a good number of projects in Philadelphia.  The city is sun-setting their tax-abatement program at the end of the year, so developers that have locked in financing are sprinting to the finish line with permit applications to secure their rights.  Outside the city most of my jobs are on hold.  Obviously, anything in construction is also on hold.

My wife designs products for Home Goods, Target, Kohls, etc.  You know those wall art things that say "Live, Love, Laugh" or "Family is Forever" that your wives insisted on hanging in your house?  There's a very good chance my wife designed it.  Her company was informed by most of their retailers that no new purchases would be happening through June or July!  Laid off 1/3 of her company last week and made 25% Salary cuts for everyone remaining, with no timeline as to if/when things go back to normal.  Hoping that is the last of it, but not too confident.  We're both fairly certain that she'll get clipped before this is all over.  

We were literally 4 days from closing on a beach house purchase.  Had to back out at the last minute.  As disappointing as that is, we know we are very fortunate.  Have our health, kids are home with us, both are (currently) employed.  Cant ask for much more right now.  

I'm safe for now.  Architecture firm and we have a good number of projects in Philadelphia.  The city is sun-setting their tax-abatement program at the end of the year, so developers that have locked in financing are sprinting to the finish line with permit applications to secure their rights.  Outside the city most of my jobs are on hold.  Obviously, anything in construction is also on hold.

My wife designs products for Home Goods, Target, Kohls, etc.  You know those wall art things that say "Live, Love, Laugh" or "Family is Forever" that your wives insisted on hanging in your house?  There's a very good chance my wife designed it.  Her company was informed by most of their retailers that no new purchases would be happening through June or July!  Laid off 1/3 of her company last week and made 25% Salary cuts for everyone remaining, with no timeline as to if/when things go back to normal.  Hoping that is the last of it, but not too confident.  We're both fairly certain that she'll get clipped before this is all over.  

We were literally 4 days from closing on a beach house purchase.  Had to back out at the last minute.  As disappointing as that is, we know we are very fortunate.  Have our health, kids are home with us, both are (currently) employed.  Cant ask for much more right now.  
Man I hate your wife 

urbanhack said:
I just had the opposite happen. I thought I was on solid footing (vp marketing - but can perform in sales, accounts and product), but just found out an hour ago I’m being furloughed for at least 30 days. Company was kind of in shaky startup mode anyway and our CEO was having trouble closing this latest round of funding.

I’m hoping for the best.
That blows Urb, I'm sorry to read this. You won't be alone. 

Can you speak or post about how you felt prior to this news in terms of "Everything should be shut down" vs "I need to get back to work"

What kind of emotions are running thru your head if you can share. The little bit I know of you thru these boards is one who can think independently. The industry you are in has a hippie like vibe but I know that on the business side of the herb, it's much different when you are dealing with hard money. 

I would assume you want to do your part and not be part of the virus spread but now that you are being told you are out of work for the time being, do you wish that you were given a choice to be at work vs stay at home?

What are you going to do with all this free time now? Grocery chains are hiring like crazy right now, will pay a lot more than the $1200 coming in a few weeks. 

It breaks my Spirit to read these posts and it's going to get worse in here when folks start posting their CV-19 experiences, odds are high we are going to lose a few people along the way, it's true. I wish you the very best in the most toughest of times right now. And my only words are Take care of Urbanhack and family however that has to be done. 

My wife has to go into the hospital this afternoon and to be honest we're fighting right now, bickering because I don't want her to leave the house and especially to go there but SHE HAS to report at the moment even with a South FLorida Stay at Home. 

That blows Urb, I'm sorry to read this. You won't be alone. 

Can you speak or post about how you felt prior to this news in terms of "Everything should be shut down" vs "I need to get back to work"

What kind of emotions are running thru your head if you can share. The little bit I know of you thru these boards is one who can think independently. The industry you are in has a hippie like vibe but I know that on the business side of the herb, it's much different when you are dealing with hard money. 

I would assume you want to do your part and not be part of the virus spread but now that you are being told you are out of work for the time being, do you wish that you were given a choice to be at work vs stay at home?

What are you going to do with all this free time now? Grocery chains are hiring like crazy right now, will pay a lot more than the $1200 coming in a few weeks. 

It breaks my Spirit to read these posts and it's going to get worse in here when folks start posting their CV-19 experiences, odds are high we are going to lose a few people along the way, it's true. I wish you the very best in the most toughest of times right now. And my only words are Take care of Urbanhack and family however that has to be done. 

My wife has to go into the hospital this afternoon and to be honest we're fighting right now, bickering because I don't want her to leave the house and especially to go there but SHE HAS to report at the moment even with a South FLorida Stay at Home. 
Thanks man.  Appreciate it.

Feeling leading up to this was were on somewhat shaky ground based on our business plan, CEO’s inability to make smart, tough, timely decisions.  Trying to grow the company too fast, spending on unnecessary items (PR, high salaries, etc.). Without the Corona situation, i thought the company had a 50/50 shot to make it and that point would have come at the end of the summer.

I’ve been working remote for a full two years, so this was nothing new for me except now just not leaving the ####### house.  I’m going to complete re-arrange and re-organize every room in the house. Donate old clothes and really try to be a minimalist. 

My buddy from Chicago moved out here works at cultivation site that is 25 miles west of Portland. It’s an isolated property/compound out in the middle of nowhere and my buddy lives there. We’ve got a couple of disc golf baskets and we’re going to create a minute course for practicing and contests. So I imagine I’ll be going out there a few times a week to #### around.

I am still not too worried about myself.

I am starting to worry about my team.  Some of these people are young and likely don't have savings built up.

Even if they aren't cut, the vast chunk of their pay is commission and that will likely be near 0 for March/April.. maybe into May.
What do you do?

Not at all for me.  I may have to furlough or layoff some of the people that work under me but I don't see my job being effected.  We're part of the national security apparatus that can't slow/shut down.

My company has mandated a 10-20% pay cut for all employees for Q2. Most of us fall in the 10% range so it’s basically not getting paid for 4 hours of work per week. It sucks, but could have been a lot worse. 

My buddy from Chicago moved out here works at cultivation site that is 25 miles west of Portland. It’s an isolated property/compound out in the middle of nowhere and my buddy lives there. We’ve got a couple of disc golf baskets and we’re going to create a minute course for practicing and contests. So I imagine I’ll be going out there a few times a week to #### around.
Tell Dave I said hi

Saw this article on LinkedIn if people need to find work.

The full list:

Instacart says it’s looking to hire 300,000 contract workers over the next three months.

Walmart announced that it will hire 150,000 workers for its distribution and fulfillment centers.

Amazon says it’s looking to hire 100,000 new workers for its fulfillment centers and delivery network.

CVS Health is hiring 50,000 employees to serve in various capacities across its business.

Dollar General says it's looking to add 50,000 employees by the end of April.

Pizza Hut is hiring 30,000 permanent employees to serve as drivers, shift leaders, cooks and managers.

Lowe’s is hiring 30,000 employees to meet the demand created by the coronavirus.

Dollar Tree, which is also the parent company of Family Dollar, is hiring 25,000 workers for its stores and distribution centers.

Walgreens is hiring 25,000 employees for permanent and temporary roles.

7-Eleven is hiring up to 20,000 employees due to increased demand.

Kroger is looking to hire an additional 20,000 workers across the U.S.

Domino’s is hiring up to 10,000 employees across the country for various roles inside the company.

PepsiCo says it plans to hire 6,000 employees over the coming months.

Outschool is looking to hire 5,000 teachers to start offering online classes.

Publix Super Markets is hiring "thousands" of workers to meet increased demand.

Safeway is hiring thousands of workers due to the demand created by the virus.

Blue Apron is looking to hire an unknown number of employees in New Jersey and California.

Land O’Lakes is looking to hire an unknown number of workers to meet increased demand.

I'm lucky. 

Work for a large municipal water distribution system.  I'm working remote.  And if I did have to go on COVID related leave, I get 96 hours of c-19 vacation pay that's good until the end of the year, and I'd go on paid administrative leave after that.

Well this sucks.  Not getting furloughed but they are reducing our hours, and consequently, our pay.  Not sure how much.  Not sure if I'll qualify for unemployment.

We already live paycheck to paycheck so we'll be really hurting for a couple/few months.

Users who are viewing this thread