What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How concerned are you about your job? (1 Viewer)

10 being very concerned, 1 not at all... If things don't improve within the next 3 months, how conce

Votes: 14 4.0%

Votes: 16 4.6%

Votes: 24 6.9%

Votes: 18 5.2%

Votes: 14 4.0%

Votes: 29 8.4%

Votes: 23 6.6%

Votes: 46 13.3%

Votes: 43 12.4%

Votes: 119 34.4%

• Total voters
Not worried about my job - it's required by regulation - but working for an investment bank, I can kiss a decent bonus goodbye.

Happy to have that as my biggest work related problem. 

I am a data architect at a supplemental insurance company that is way over-staffed in IT. We have been in the process of pretty substantial growth and prepping for more. However, this will dramatically increase our loss ratio (more claims) and of course our investments are taking major damages. We have a lot of critical projects in motion, but this will be a pretty big jolt to our system. I feel like I am in the least likely 5% or so in our IT department to have reason for worry, but most of us certainly tend to overestimate our standing and worth, and I am probably no exception.

I do get a substantial metrics-based yearly bonus that will take a major hit, if not disappear, but it's hard to get too upset about that, all things told.

Went with a 2 but really it's closer to a 1.     More likely they get rid of a contractor and put their responsibilities on me.   

I’m the national director for a fast growing retail franchise concept.  So I essentially sell territories and Franchise licenses to people who want to open their own businesses.

I’ve never been busier. Most of our prospects are employed professionals looking for either a business that they can manage on the side or a chance to get out of corporate America. Financial uncertainty and recessions tend to increase the amount of people who look into small business ownership so it’s sort of weird that way. Plus many people believe that this would be a really bad short term hit followed by a resurgence in consumer demand so they aren’t batting an eye at signing agreements if they’re looking at opening stores second quarter of next year.

Plus, most of my candidates are working from home now so they have more free time during the day to talk to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I selected 1 because my job is secure. The college I work for? That could be a different story. I'm not worried about next school year, but the data between now and then will influence what I think about beyond next year. 

I am a senior person in a wealth management firm attached to an accounting firm.  I think my job is pretty safe, baring we don’t go back to the Stone Age. But I could see no raises, etc, like it was during 2008-2010.

I’m the national director for a fast growing retail franchise concept.  So I essentially sell territories and Franchise licenses to people who want to open their own businesses.

I’ve never been busier. Most of our prospects are employed professionals looking for either a business that they can manage on the side or a chance to get out of corporate America. Financial uncertainty and recessions tend to increase the amount of people who look into small business ownership so it’s sort of weird that way. Plus many people believe that this would be a really bad short term hit followed by a resurgence in consumer demand so they aren’t batting an eye at signing agreements if they’re looking at opening stores second quarter of next year.

Plus, most of my candidates are working from home now so they have more free time during the day to talk to me.
Essential Oils?

i said 4.

I'm a govt contractor on a project whose end goal is to extend the life of the F/A-18, i.e. save the DoD money. 

Contract has already been approved thru Spring 2021 but...

I'm a Contractor and these are strange times indeed.  Definitely possible in a couple months that they decide my role should be civil service

My customers are Electrical Utility companies.  I have zero concern about my job.  I consider myself incredibly lucky.

Well the house I’ve been trying to sell for two years scheduled to close next week was under contract until yesterday.  One son got called tonight at 6 and was indefinitely laid off. Another son graduating in May was told to expect his start date to move from July/August to end of the year. My partner loses her job with no unemployment if we go on lockdown. My pay will get cut by 10%-20% next month and I’ll likely be working for free after that if we go on lock down.  I voted 10

Well the house I’ve been trying to sell for two years scheduled to close next week was under contract until yesterday.  One son got called tonight at 6 and was indefinitely laid off. Another son graduating in May was told to expect his start date to move from July/August to end of the year. My partner loses her job with no unemployment if we go on lockdown. My pay will get cut by 10%-20% next month and I’ll likely be working for free after that if we go on lock down.  I voted 10
Ugh, that sounds terrible. Sorry to hear it.

Very small number of folks in here seem concerned at all, maybe you don't understand the ripple effect of all the lower level jobs, let's say $50k and under just as a line in the sand...all those people are going to be out of a job, in fact the government is going to be sending checks to people that are mostly going to be out of work and those checks are going to be spent before they even hit the mailboxes. 

Eventually all those folks out of work are going to take their toll on everyone. 

Not sure everyone understands how fragile this entire system is. 

Very small number of folks in here seem concerned at all, maybe you don't understand the ripple effect of all the lower level jobs, let's say $50k and under just as a line in the sand...all those people are going to be out of a job, in fact the government is going to be sending checks to people that are mostly going to be out of work and those checks are going to be spent before they even hit the mailboxes. 

Eventually all those folks out of work are going to take their toll on everyone. 

when did you come back?

I voted a 1 b/c I'm not concerned about losing my job.   I think there's a higher chance I can lose my job if things get bad, but I'm not concerned .   Between unemployment, not having to pay mortgage (from what it sounds) when unemployed, and more then enough funds, everything will be fine.   A year or two from now, everything will be back to normal and life goes on.   

The fact that only 27% register above 5 is astounding to me.

Does anyone understand what 3 months of zero economic activity look like? We’ll quickly be collapsing to ruins, and if that coincides with the hospital system being bombarded, it looks ugly quick.

While still not my base case, the percentages are growing. I’m so hopeful this isn’t what happens, but I’d tell everyone to button up and be more prepared than they think they’ll need to be.
I voted 1 since I work in IT for a healthcare company. I can change my answer to 6 if it makes you feel better.  :shrug:

33 years with the Army Corp of Engineers in the National Capital Region. No chance of losing my job but health not the greatest. Teleworking for the foreseeable future and this virus has me worried. Folks live close and have health issues with mom diagnosed with Melanoma skin cancer stage 3 recently with multiple doctor appointments on the horizon. Scared for them also. My feelings on how this whole CV has been handled is it’s a #### show and will only get worse. 

I run my own business and while I have minimal upkeep so it's not like I'll be going out of business, my income will be zero until all of this is over.  Luckily I have plenty of savings and my wife has no chance of losing her job so we are fine.  But when all this clears up I'll be able to pick up where I left off, likely with a lot lower income since my business depends on people making luxury purchases.

My wife and I work in healthcare, both for the same employer. I have to think we are safe but you know, who knows. I know our investments have got to be bleeding very badly like everyone else. She works in supply chain, critical right now. I work for our Homecare division and do their TPS reports. I'd say her job is more stable than mine. We're both WFH at the moment.

https://www.quora.com/How-many-people-in-the-us-earn-less-than-50k-a-year

You're talking 70% unemployment?

My job is 50% secure. Meaning if my Husband  loses his job, I might have to try and get a job. 
I put 10 for concerned about his job. He wfh in Florida for a company in New Jersey that hosts conferences and trade shows. Their calendar was lighter than usual going into this and now things are canceled into August. He’s been working on cyber security certifications and stuff and knows everyone in the north Florida IT world, so maybe he’s not unemployed for too long, but who knows. We have locked down spending. Thankfully we only have the house and one car loan. But we’ve been through lean times. We can live on love. 

ghostguy123 said:
Registered nurse.  Not worried about losing my job, just worried my job is gonna turn into a giant #### show soon and last for a year.  

Adult psychiatry.  Gonna be a real hoot for a while, but at least the job should be there.  
Also a registered nurse. Anticipating #### show status within a week or two.

On a side note, my wife was laid off today. She's in the hotel industry.

My job is 50% secure. Meaning if my Husband  loses his job, I might have to try and get a job. 
I put 10 for concerned about his job. He wfh in Florida for a company in New Jersey that hosts conferences and trade shows. Their calendar was lighter than usual going into this and now things are canceled into August. He’s been working on cyber security certifications and stuff and knows everyone in the north Florida IT world, so maybe he’s not unemployed for too long, but who knows. We have locked down spending. Thankfully we only have the house and one car loan. But we’ve been through lean times. We can live on love
So, status quo?

I work for a Fortune 500 company that employs about 150k globally. Power Delivery, Robotics, Industrial Automation, etc.... I've survived two MAJOR restructurings/cuts over the last 2 years and Just got a raise today so I THINK I'm good, but you never know. The good news is our team is fairly critical and I oversee our most profitable/critical product lines, so I'm hoping I'm good. 

GF is in Logistics & Freight Intelligence and Service for a local company of 150 owned by a industry powerhouse based out of switzerland so I feel like she's in pretty good shape too. 

That said, We're also stockpiling a bit of cash just in case. 

Joe Bryant said:
All depends on:

1. If the NFL season is impacted by this

2. If people have money for fantasy football. 

We'll see. 
Could be worse.  You could still be in the boat business. I've been watching all these guys around me (Whaler/Brunswick, Everglades, Edgewater) just crush it the last 4-5 years getting crazy margins. Boats still seemed to be flying out of their factories until this week.  Crickets now.

I work for a Fortune 500 company that employs about 150k globally. Power Delivery, Robotics, Industrial Automation, etc.... I've survived two MAJOR restructurings/cuts over the last 2 years and Just got a raise today so I THINK I'm good, but you never know. The good news is our team is fairly critical and I oversee our most profitable/critical product lines, so I'm hoping I'm good. 

GF is in Logistics & Freight Intelligence and Service for a local company of 150 owned by a industry powerhouse based out of switzerland so I feel like she's in pretty good shape too. 

That said, We're also stockpiling a bit of cash just in case. 
"swiss"

fantasycurse42 said:
The fact that only 27% register above 5 is astounding to me.
That figure might be higher among small business owners. And it might change a lot based on knowing the extent and length and details of mandatory shutdowns. PA's governor probably had good health-related reasons for the business shutdown but the lack of nuance in exceptions is going to sink a lot of people unnecessarily (I'm not in PA but half the people I know are).  People had 1 day to go in to their business, get whatever they could get to use to work at home, and then bam, shut the office and have 4 state agencies looking to arrest anyone going in.  It's reasonable that people are encouraged to work at home, go outdoors and hike or fish or otherwise enjoy the outdoors without close contact to others. It's not reasonable that people can't enjoy the outdoors while putting on a roof, or painting a house, or surveying a property, or landscaping a property, or adding a deck or building a new foundation. Indoor work is the big health threat. Small businesses involved in those kinds of outdoor work are going to get demolished. Small business loans talked about do no good when too much income was lost to pay them back. Yeah, I own a small business, not in PA thankfully. But I don't know what's coming in my state, it could shut down most of what we do, and (since we've recovered most but not all the way from the last recession) I fear it.  On the other hand I'm in a high-risk group for contracting the virus so sometimes that keeps my mind off work.

Why yes, I'm having a drink.

I think my company is well-positioned to take advantage of the new economy (revenue is generated online; high-end leisure/athletic electronic devices that are highly compatible with social distancing), BUT, just yesterday we all got a temporary 20% haircut.

Scary times, but finally I have a 4-day work week.  Seriously, kind of love the owner for spreading the sacrifice across the board for the sake of not laying anyone off.

Could be worse.  You could still be in the boat business. I've been watching all these guys around me (Whaler/Brunswick, Everglades, Edgewater) just crush it the last 4-5 years getting crazy margins. Boats still seemed to be flying out of their factories until this week.  Crickets now.
Auto dealerships are seeing the same thing.

Joe Bryant said:
All depends on:

1. If the NFL season is impacted by this

2. If people have money for fantasy football. 

We'll see. 

I sold my Mckee Freedom 24 with twin 200's last fall and have been boat shopping since then for a used 26-29 foot with twins. Ideally I have been looking for a Prokat 28 or a Fountain 29, since they seem to last a long time and be cheaper than the competitors.  That industry, like almost all industries, is in real trouble and tanking fast in the last week.

I read thehulltruth and other boating forums daily, even with a quick recovery it will be worse than the 2008 crash for them. I am glad I did not buy a boat as I will need all the cash I can keep on hand.

Dan Lambskin said:
Where at?  You guys still doing carryout?
Michigan. We are doing carry out, it’s certainly not enough to support anything, but so far has covered product/labor. I’m trying to give hours to the rest of the team- my wife is still working and I can pick up hours there as well (she runs the maintenance dept at a property mgmt co.) I’m making sure the place has what it needs and have put a strict operational  guideline for how food/money/sanitation is to be handled. Owner and his wife are quarantined for a week and a half, so I have a lot of people relying on me. They want to reopen someday, but you and I both see how that looks from here for a lot of restaurants, so I’m not counting on it. Hopeful, but I don’t see how a lot of the industry survives this. 

Michigan. We are doing carry out, it’s certainly not enough to support anything, but so far has covered product/labor. I’m trying to give hours to the rest of the team- my wife is still working and I can pick up hours there as well (she runs the maintenance dept at a property mgmt co.) I’m making sure the place has what it needs and have put a strict operational  guideline for how food/money/sanitation is to be handled. Owner and his wife are quarantined for a week and a half, so I have a lot of people relying on me. They want to reopen someday, but you and I both see how that looks from here for a lot of restaurants, so I’m not counting on it. Hopeful, but I don’t see how a lot of the industry survives this. 
Hang in there, it is a very tough time for the restaurants right now.  

I'm in the touristy part of Michigan and expect 1/3 of the breweries and wineries to perish here.  I bartend for weddings/corp events on the side, i expect to lose every one.  The wedding/catering business will get crushed.  

Hang in there, it is a very tough time for the restaurants right now.  

I'm in the touristy part of Michigan and expect 1/3 of the breweries and wineries to perish here.  I bartend for weddings/corp events on the side, i expect to lose every one.  The wedding/catering business will get crushed.  
I have a coworker whose daughter got married LAST weekend at a fairly high end place. I thought to myself she's lucky to get in before the hammer comes down. 

And when those catering business go under,  there will probably be customers who are out sizable deposits.

I have a coworker whose daughter got married LAST weekend at a fairly high end place. I thought to myself she's lucky to get in before the hammer comes down. 

And when those catering business go under,  there will probably be customers who are out sizable deposits.
I'm on Lake Michigan and most of the business we have are the wedding barns that sprouted up in the last 5 years.  I have few locals, many are from Chicago or Detroit, but we get them from all over the nation.  Destination weddings are huge here.  The catering businesses I deal will should be OK, the venues that owe big money to the banks, scary for them.  

Users who are viewing this thread