What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How concerned are you about your job? (1 Viewer)

10 being very concerned, 1 not at all... If things don't improve within the next 3 months, how conce

Votes: 14 4.0%

Votes: 16 4.6%

Votes: 24 6.9%

Votes: 18 5.2%

Votes: 14 4.0%

Votes: 29 8.4%

Votes: 23 6.6%

Votes: 46 13.3%

Votes: 43 12.4%

Votes: 119 34.4%

• Total voters
I have a coworker whose daughter got married LAST weekend at a fairly high end place. I thought to myself she's lucky to get in before the hammer comes down. 

And when those catering business go under,  there will probably be customers who are out sizable deposits.
Lucky to get in but no so lucky for any of those folks who may have got the virus.

I work as an electrician, so there will always be work I can do. It might not be new construction, but I can do service work easily enough.
Aren't you concerned about your prices?  I realize that you are very skilled so this isn't an apples/oranges comparison, but I've watch painting prices go from $0.70-$1.00 per sf to $1.50 to $2.00 per sf over the last decade.  Skilled trades have been very hard to come by at times.  I'll be loyal to the guys who have stayed with us, but there will be no shortage of builders and high end reno guys knocking on the door looking for maintenance work.

Aren't you concerned about your prices?  I realize that you are very skilled so this isn't an apples/oranges comparison, but I've watch painting prices go from $0.70-$1.00 per sf to $1.50 to $2.00 per sf over the last decade.  Skilled trades have been very hard to come by at times.  I'll be loyal to the guys who have stayed with us, but there will be no shortage of builders and high end reno guys knocking on the door looking for maintenance work.
I do work for an electric contractor in my area that's fairly busy, and those jobs take time to finish. We have a credit union we're going to work on, there's offices going in not far away from that, and we're also looking at doing another health care center like the one I got started on, though that one's being delayed(I don't think it's related to the current situation). Honestly, the big problem I've seen is the lack of skilled workers here. Guys get hired, work for a bit, then wash out. I'm concerned a bit about a possible slowdown, but as I said, they're not getting rid of electricity anytime soon.

Michigan. We are doing carry out, it’s certainly not enough to support anything, but so far has covered product/labor. I’m trying to give hours to the rest of the team- my wife is still working and I can pick up hours there as well (she runs the maintenance dept at a property mgmt co.) I’m making sure the place has what it needs and have put a strict operational  guideline for how food/money/sanitation is to be handled. Owner and his wife are quarantined for a week and a half, so I have a lot of people relying on me. They want to reopen someday, but you and I both see how that looks from here for a lot of restaurants, so I’m not counting on it. Hopeful, but I don’t see how a lot of the industry survives this. 
Do you sell gift cards?

Michigan. We are doing carry out, it’s certainly not enough to support anything, but so far has covered product/labor. I’m trying to give hours to the rest of the team- my wife is still working and I can pick up hours there as well (she runs the maintenance dept at a property mgmt co.) I’m making sure the place has what it needs and have put a strict operational  guideline for how food/money/sanitation is to be handled. Owner and his wife are quarantined for a week and a half, so I have a lot of people relying on me. They want to reopen someday, but you and I both see how that looks from here for a lot of restaurants, so I’m not counting on it. Hopeful, but I don’t see how a lot of the industry survives this. 
If you’re in the Detroit area let me know where and I can either brave carryout or go there once things reopen

• Smile
Reactions: JAA
Do you sell gift cards?
Gift certificates- kind of old school. We’ve sold some. We had some regulars come through yesterday with a check for a grand to help pay staff. We’ve had people buy gift certs and leave them (ie never use them) so the owners have extra cash on hand. Tremendous support from the community. And I’m can’t say for sure we will be there in a year. Sorry, I may be mentioning this stuff multiple times in various threads and I can’t keep track anymore. 

I'm more worried about economy/my job than getting coronavirus.
Thing is the two are related, the less people that get the coronavirus, the better chance of keeping your job. If more people were more worried about the virus, we'd all be better off.

I'm more worried about economy/my job than getting coronavirus.
Yeah I’d say my biggest worries are

1. having enough TP

2. Disney being open July 1st

3. my refinance falling through

3. Me blowing my trump check on crooked 5 Dimes blackjack 

4. jobs / economy 

5. getting the virus

I voted 3 but that is just my worry talking. I am very secure for the foreseeable future as I am basically coding our bank products for new terms due to the economic downturn. Truth be told, we are probably about the last group that would be laid off. If the market hadn't fallen, I wouldn't even care as I had been contemplating retirement. That of course is shot to hell. I did, however, have to talk one of my coworkers off the ledge. He is fairly new to the team and came from another company where he had been laid off previously, so he is gun-shy. I assured him, he's good. So I guess maybe my 3 vote was sorta dumb. But its just a sign of being shaken by it all I guess.

I voted a 1. As long as people want to drink, I have a job.

Even if we get shut down, business would come roaring back.

I'm probably as close to zero as possible. I'm a gov't attorney, maybe one of the 5 least important jobs on the planet (although I've been in the office every single day for reasons that even I don't understand). If I'm out of a job because of the virus, we're all screwed so bad that it doesn't matter anyway. It was on the table for me to spin out into private practice last year. If I'd done that, I'd be as close to 10 as possible.

I do feel an obligation to support local business while I have a consistent check coming in for the foreseeable future. I've probably eaten more takeout and drank more craft beer in the last week and a half than I did in the last 6 months of 2020. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Truly a 1.  I am a commercial workout officer for a large and well capitalized bank.  Bank has no chance of going under and i am busiest when the economy is at its worst.  I am being inundated with work already.  

My "vacation" started 3 days ago.  The hospital has called me each day asking if I want to pick up a shift.  

Not worried about my employment status, but very worried about working in a hospital for the next several months

I'm probably as close to zero as possible. I'm a gov't attorney, maybe one of the 5 least important jobs on the planet
Disagree, it is an important job.  But agree your job should be as safe as safe can be.  Two areas of gov't positions I never see going away are law/council and finance.  Congress will never trust moving money from the Treasury directly to non-Fed recipients without Fed Dept/Agency oversight and control.  And that requires a lot of guidance and interpretations from attorneys. 

I'm probably as close to zero as possible. I'm a gov't attorney, maybe one of the 5 least important jobs on the planet (although I've been in the office every single day for reasons that even I don't understand). If I'm out of a job because of the virus, we're all screwed so bad that it doesn't matter anyway. It was on the table for me to spin out into private practice last year. If I'd done that, I'd be as close to 10 as possible.

I do feel an obligation to support local business while I have a consistent check coming in for the foreseeable future. I've probably eaten more takeout and drank more craft beer in the last week and a half than I did in the last 6 months of 2020. 
Yea we keep ordering take out. I feel terrible for people. Cracked the door for the Instacart guy last week. Some old man, looked exhausted. Thanked me for the tip, said he needed it. Whole thing makes me want to constantly cry. 

My "vacation" started 3 days ago.  The hospital has called me each day asking if I want to pick up a shift.  

Not worried about my employment status, but very worried about working in a hospital for the next several months
So it seems that state licensing regulations have been suspended for the outbreak, so now we can work in other states without jumping through all the bull#### hoops to get licensed. I'm considering trying to get some time off to travel to a hotspot with crisis rates. I'm willing to give it a shot for $5k/week. 

My business(cybersecurity consulting) actually has seen a substantial uptick as 90% of our clients are healthcare or technology.  Our sales numbers have doubled year over year for this month and we haven't even finished the month.

Feel terrible for those that are adversely impacted.

So it seems that state licensing regulations have been suspended for the outbreak, so now we can work in other states without jumping through all the bull#### hoops to get licensed. I'm considering trying to get some time off to travel to a hotspot with crisis rates. I'm willing to give it a shot for $5k/week. 
I would consider that except for the fact I have been a psych nurse my entire career, and I probably dont possess the type of skills they need.

Is your company headquartered in the Indianapolis area by any chance? I have an interview with an animal health company Monday HQ’d in Indy. A finance role too.
Nope.  Parsippany NJ.  I know who you are talking about though.  Is the role related to a specific area of the business?  

Let me know if you have any interest in talking about the industry or finance in the industry.

Registered nurse.  Not worried about losing my job, just worried my job is gonna turn into a giant #### show soon and last for a year.  

Adult psychiatry.  Gonna be a real hoot for a while, but at least the job should be there.  

I've stuck with a mediocre job for a while almost entirely due to the job security. I only wish I made enough money to help some of my friends that will get crushed.
Bolded really hits home for me. Inventory control for a grocery distribution warehouse. Crazy times right now, but I have no concerns about losing my job. Also not possible for me to WFH, and the warehouse isn't exactly prioritizing distancing, so each day is its own adventure in trying to keep others away from me and my office.

Unexpected situation came up..

feel my job is secure as there are only 2 of us on the SharePoint team supporting over 8,000 employees...  I am the "Go To" person for Power Apps and Flows which were in demand even before this and now will ramp up even more to help automate processes. 
I am able to jump in and support Exchange/Teams/OneDrive so have a good broad knowledge for O365 which should help.
Also, prior to this virus outbreak, I was put in for a promotion that was to go into effect April 1st.
I have a 1 on 1 with my manager on Wednesday, where I'll find out if it went through and how much of a pay increase.

Today, I received a phone call from a Pharmaceutical company... which is probably one of the more secure places to work, even before this virus came around. 
They need someone of my skill set to support O365/SharePoint.. Full-Time position( 80% or more WFH, even after the Virus), of course great benefits and more then 20k over what I make now per year. 

I'm not sure which way to go on this..
On one hand, I've only been with this company for 11 months, have already been put in for a promotion, and like the team I work with.
But the chance for a more secure job right now is very tempting..
I let the person who called me know that I like where I work and that I have a promotion coming in(didn't tell him how much I was making) and that I'll know more on Wednesday. He said he understood and would send me more information and to let him know on Wednesday... 

So now I wait until Wednesday and if my promotion didn't go through, or the amount isn't as much as I expect it to be I'll need to think if a move at this point is good, or not.. :oldunsure:  

Not worried at all, at least not yet. Talked to the boss today and he said keep working unless a curfew is put in place (which seems unlikely), and even then, I work overnights and can do my job without any human interaction. I do after hours restaurant pest control and have keys/alarm codes to my 180+ stores around central Florida, so I can set my own schedule and do my thing without having to run it by anyone.

Not worried about my job for now as I am in a part of banking where we are deemed "essential" and still have to come in despite stay at home orders. We've done social distancing and everyone that can WFH is currently doing so except for a handful of people that don't have laptops that they are working on getting us. Once we get the rest of the laptops it will be full time WFH for everyone until this resolves.

But I feel pretty certain this will be the perfect excuse for drastically reduced if not zero bonuses at the end of the year which will hurt pretty badly.

Not worried at all, at least not yet. Talked to the boss today and he said keep working unless a curfew is put in place (which seems unlikely), and even then, I work overnights and can do my job without any human interaction. I do after hours restaurant pest control and have keys/alarm codes to my 180+ stores around central Florida, so I can set my own schedule and do my thing without having to run it by anyone.
If all the restaurants are closed temporarily or out of business they are not going to need pest control.  

If all the restaurants are closed temporarily or out of business they are not going to need pest control.  
Sure they will. They don't want to re-open with a roach or rodent issue, and skipping their monthly service (especially here in Florida) can absolutely cause those kinds of problems. We haven't been contacted to suspend service for any of our 2000+ restaurants other than a few mom and pop places (which make up less than 5% of our accounts). 

1 or 2. I’m a former restaurant/retail manager who has been a stay-at-home dad for 3 years now. Had I still been working my rating would be 10. The 1-2 is for my wife’s position. She is in the leadership committee of a major hotel. Many of the employees are probably going to be furloughed etc.. Even if the hotel closes temporarily she will still work remotely (Finance).  

Yea we keep ordering take out. I feel terrible for people. Cracked the door for the Instacart guy last week. Some old man, looked exhausted. Thanked me for the tip, said he needed it. Whole thing makes me want to constantly cry. 
One thing this has made me appreciate more is those lower wage workers who you know go unappreciated every day prior to this. 

Delivery drivers are getting all the work they can handle right now.

I am much more concerned that I was last week, as the CEO just announced there would be "personnel actions" taken "swiftly".

Awesome.

6 or 7.   Large media company.  Only silver-lining I can see is that it's a political year and that revenue butters our bread.  I'm attached to the IT organization, not yet sure if that's a pro or a con.

Not concerned.  My job goes away in 2 scenarios...world Peace or death of is government.

I don't get paid as much as others, but i never have to worry about job security.  Some of my oil field friends are filling unemployment paperwork.

I'm a union carpenter. Work blows right now but I'm fortunate to still have a job. That being said, the company I'm with now only has three jobs allowed to stay open and I'm one of 40 or so left. As long as Delaware and Maryland stays the course and keeps construction as essential,  I'll be ok I think.

Philly shutting down was a killer. 75% of or jobsites were in the city.

hmmmm.. Company "Event"  later this morning.. Title of Event "Economic Impact Update by CEO" ..

Good to get some clarification on what the CEO is thinking.. at the same time...    :oldunsure:  

I have to assume the details of the stimulus package will impact a lot of people's job concerns. Hopefully we see something soon. 

I’m always mildly concerned because I love what I do. I’m positive I could find another, but I’d really be depressed to change how things are job-wise. I get to telecommute (even before this) allowing me sunshine and the opportunity to walk my dogs at lunch. I have cool people above me and the culture is good. 

I don’t think my concern has gone up much more than in normal times, but I dread the day it does.  

hmmmm.. Company "Event"  later this morning.. Title of Event "Economic Impact Update by CEO" ..

Good to get some clarification on what the CEO is thinking.. at the same time...    :oldunsure:  
I hate those meeting titles. Nothing worse than a huge email with the title “company update, mandatory attendance for all.”

Caesar said:
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28944696/full-rs-josh-harris-owned-76ers-devils-notified-april-pay-cuts 

So, asking employees to take up to a 20% pay cut, but having them only work 4 days instead of 5.  Its better than firing them, I guess.  

Also notes that its only for salaried making over 50K.  I'm torn on this one, and it hits a little close, but it could be worse.

If this becomes a trend, I am not sure if that moves me up or down on the concern scale.
I'd happily take a 20% cut right now for safety, wouldn't think twice about it.

I'd happily take a 20% cut right now for safety, wouldn't think twice about it.
Companies aren't going to take 20% losses, look at this bailout stimulus. 

There's a bunch of folks on these boards that won't get a check due to income threshold. 

I understand you want to be a good person and pool the risk or give up a little at this moment for long term security, I don't blame you at all. However, this is what companies prey upon, their employees will get nervous or shaky and accept anything they propose like slashing salaries. 

-On a side note FC42, I see the NY, NY on your profile and I don't envy any of our board members that are somewhat stuck there at the moment and are feeling this in ways the rest of us can't imagine. I was angry we were taking in flights from NYC down here in South Florida because of potential exposure, however...I was born in Miami and that is like NYC South especially if you expand that into the larger South Florida market. We are with you all and we don't want to see NYC turned upside down. It may be wishful thinking but I truly hope this epidemic is over ASAP. The numbers are clear, no place holds a candle to NYC right now in terms of confirmed cases(USA), the country needs to focus on that area before other hot spots pop up...and they likely will.  

i voted an 8.  If things don’t improve in 3 months-I not only worry about my job—I worry about the business that I manage.  Newsom already said that as of now—he’s expecting the lockdown to last up to 12 weeks and that the next 6-8 weeks will be the key factor.  I manage a fine jewelry store in an upscale area in Southern California.  Unfortunately—our landlord has a reputation of being one of most ruthless and heartless landlords on the planet.  We’ve paid them millions of dollars over 28 plus years—never late on a payment—the success of our business is also their success as they are percentage rental partners—and we just got an email that indicates that they will not be giving anybody a penny of rent relief.  The only thing they are offering is rent differal that has to be paid back to them within 12 months.   Between our astronomically high rent, trying to keep our hourly employees paid to a certain extent, and the high costs of the kind of business we are in (very high insurance costs..etc)—I’m very worried.  Even though we are closed to the public—I’ve been going in once or twice a week by myself for an hour or two and am taking pics of merchandise and listing a piece or two on social media or emailing friends just so our incoming cash is literally not zero.  So far—I’ve sold a few pieces this route—but it’s literally a drop in the bucket.      

One thing that I can say is this. For those of whom are in a position to do so—PLEASE do a little bit to help support your local businesses.  They are going to get wiped out by this thing if their communities forget about them.  

I hate those meeting titles. Nothing worse than a huge email with the title “company update, mandatory attendance for all.”
Well.. Not as bad as I feared..

No Major layoffs.. But to position them for a "brighter future" ...

20% Salary reduction across the board for Q2..
They will reexamine this at the end of Q2 to see if it needs to be extended.

No 401(k) match for the rest of the year
No merit increase for 2020 ( they were to go into effect starting April 1st)...
But, as I mentioned above, I was put in for a promotion back in January, and they will honor Promotions.
No Reduced hours, or furloughing...... yet.. But this will be re-looked at during Q2. .. 

Could have been worse.. 80% pay is better then unemployed.. :thumbup:  

Caesar said:
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28944696/full-rs-josh-harris-owned-76ers-devils-notified-april-pay-cuts 

So, asking employees to take up to a 20% pay cut, but having them only work 4 days instead of 5.  Its better than firing them, I guess.  

Also notes that its only for salaried making over 50K.  I'm torn on this one, and it hits a little close, but it could be worse.

If this becomes a trend, I am not sure if that moves me up or down on the concern scale.
As I just posted.. the trend has begun as our company just reduced pay to all by 20%. :mellow:  

Companies aren't going to take 20% losses, look at this bailout stimulus. 

There's a bunch of folks on these boards that won't get a check due to income threshold. 

I understand you want to be a good person and pool the risk or give up a little at this moment for long term security, I don't blame you at all. However, this is what companies prey upon, their employees will get nervous or shaky and accept anything they propose like slashing salaries. 
When our CEO states in the meeting we just had that all employees, including Executive Leader Team, will have a reduction of 20%.. as well as that the ELT members will not get bonuses/extra compensation for Q2, I tend to trust that..  

As a company that is heavily dependent on Small Business revenue coming in, a 20% reduction in salary is better then the company closing their doors until this is over.

:shrug:  

Users who are viewing this thread