What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do you feel about baseball this year? (2 Viewers)

Thoughts on MLB 2020

• Can't wait for the season

Votes: 28 11.9%
  • Still pretty excited for the season

Votes: 46 19.5%
  • Apathetic about having a season or not

Votes: 162 68.6%

• Total voters
When did Turner take the test? They do a test, then let them start playing before they get the results? What would have happened if the Dodgers lost? Do they play tomorrow?

When did Turner take the test? They do a test, then let them start playing before they get the results? What would have happened if the Dodgers lost? Do they play tomorrow?
@cooom

MLB sent a text to Kevin Cash mid-game saying "Justin Turner has the Corona virus blow the game we can't play game seven"

So what would have happened if the Rays won tonight? Would the game have been played tomorrow? Man that is totally wild. 

In the second inning tonight, the lab doing COVID tests informed MLB that Justin Turner’s test from yesterday came back inconclusive. The samples from today had just arrived and were run. It showed up positive. The league immediately called the Dodgers and said to pull Turner.

JFC

Christ Turner positive for Covid 

In the second inning tonight, the lab doing COVID tests informed MLB that Justin Turner’s test from yesterday came back inconclusive. The samples from today had just arrived and were run. It showed up positive. The league immediately called the Dodgers and said to pull Turner.

JFC
WTF?!  So stupid.

Congrats Dodgers fans.  

From Twitter. YOLO:

Well, Justin Turner is on the field after all. He and Kershaw just hugged. Both wearing masks, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited by a moderator:
My dad is 92.  He grew up in Brooklyn with the Dodgers and Red Barber.  He took me to the World Series in 1974 when I was 6, which is when I started bleeding Dodgers blue.  He was a semi-pro catcher who taught me the game, that I played into HS.  I went to the WS in 81, 17 and 18.   Getting to call him and celebrate this was awesome.

I still think they should have put Wander Franco on the roster instead of some of the other dead weight, but alas. 

It was the wrong call, 100%, but the rays scored 8 runs in their 4 losses. The bonehead decision by cash tonight isn’t why they lost the series. 
Yeah but they were favored up a run in the 6th with one on. Baseball is a hard place to get second chances, we could be talking game 7 right now. 

Yeah but they were favored up a run in the 6th with one on. Baseball is a hard place to get second chances, we could be talking game 7 right now. 
I think they would have had a better chance to win by leaving him in, but you think they win 1-0?  I don’t think there was any way he was going 9 at all, in any circumstance. 

I think they would have had a better chance to win by leaving him in, but you think they win 1-0?  I don’t think there was any way he was going 9 at all, in any circumstance. 

Yeah he wasn’t going nine but you have to ride the momentum and hope for a couple runs. 

dodgers were clearly better on paper but a bunch of teams won the World Series who weren’t the best team. 2003 Marlins, 2006 Cards, 2013 Red Sox and those Kansas City Royals!  

Yeah he wasn’t going nine but you have to ride the momentum and hope for a couple runs. 

dodgers were clearly better on paper but a bunch of teams won the World Series who weren’t the best team. 2003 Marlins, 2006 Cards, 2013 Red Sox and those Kansas City Royals!  
Yea I agree, it sucks. Shame nobody could hit except Randy. Christ the guy had one of the greatest playoff runs ever and they still couldn’t score more than 3 a game. Imagine if he was just above-average. 

Friedman is only 43, wow. 
Most important signing the Dodgers have made in a long time.  He is responsible for creating this monster of a team.  He has made the most of the inherent advantages the Dodgers have to make a perennial contender.  Ownership needs to make sure that guy is happy in his job.

Look at those mountains, look at those trees, look at that bum over there, man he's down on his knees.  Look at these women, ain't nothing like it nowhere.   

We love it! 

You got to leave him in. Maybe he blows up the third time through the lineup but the way he was dealing it was just stupid to yank him.

From Twitter. YOLO:

Well, Justin Turner is on the field after all. He and Kershaw just hugged. Both wearing masks, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
MLB started off a mess with Covid and now there may end up being more attention paid to how the heck something like this happens than to the Dodgers winning the World Series. How do you screw that up that badly? 

The picture headlining ESPN.com right now is pretty incredible. Turner, confirmed positive with COVID, sitting there in a tightly grouped team photo celebrating the win and nobody has a mask. Hopefully that doesn’t turn into a super spreader event.

It was the wrong call, 100%, but the rays scored 8 runs in their 4 losses. The bonehead decision by cash tonight isn’t why they lost the series. 
True, but like Dave Roberts even said they were very happy to see Snell taken out. Anderson has been hit pretty hard at times this post season. 

My dad is 92.  He grew up in Brooklyn with the Dodgers and Red Barber.  He took me to the World Series in 1974 when I was 6, which is when I started bleeding Dodgers blue.  He was a semi-pro catcher who taught me the game, that I played into HS.  I went to the WS in 81, 17 and 18.   Getting to call him and celebrate this was awesome.
That's awesome. Congrats on the win.  :thumbup:

Was hoping for a Game 7, but the Dodgers are a great team so congratulations. The Rays will definitely be back.

MLB started off a mess with Covid and now there may end up being more attention paid to how the heck something like this happens than to the Dodgers winning the World Series. How do you screw that up that badly? 

The picture headlining ESPN.com right now is pretty incredible. Turner, confirmed positive with COVID, sitting there in a tightly grouped team photo celebrating the win and nobody has a mask. Hopefully that doesn’t turn into a super spreader event.
And when it doesn't nobody will say a word. 

I went to bed after Cash pulled Snell and the Dodgers took the lead.  Just disgusted, and knew that was a team deflating losing decision.  I understand the analytics, but sometimes you just need to have a feel for the game.  Snell was certainly feeling it.  In the zone.  On fire.  Whatever you want to call it.  You don't pull a guy who looks like that because he gave up a freaking single.  I don't care what the computer says.  He had made those next three hitters look silly their first two times through the order.  Anderson hadn't gotten anyone out in 10 days.  Ugh.  I'm still pissed about it. 

Yeah. Cash just lost them the World Series.
Well, it was going to either be him or Roberts that lost their teams the WS by over managing.  This has go to be forever known as the "Over Managing World Series 2020"  (I added the date because it sure seems like there will be more of these type of blunders moving forward in baseball).

I went to bed after Cash pulled Snell and the Dodgers took the lead.  Just disgusted, and knew that was a team deflating losing decision.  I understand the analytics, but sometimes you just need to have a feel for the game.  Snell was certainly feeling it.  In the zone.  On fire.  Whatever you want to call it.  You don't pull a guy who looks like that because he gave up a freaking single.  I don't care what the computer says.  He had made those next three hitters look silly their first two times through the order.  Anderson hadn't gotten anyone out in 10 days.  Ugh.  I'm still pissed about it. 
What is missing in a 7 game series situation is that the analytics are based over the long haul.  So over the long haul more often than not you pull a guy before he gets to the 3rd time through the lineup which could be the right thing over the course of a 162 game season or over the course of a couple of seasons.  You will be doing the right thing more often than not.

However, in a 7 game series where every game matters and RP's are used against the same team over and over the analytics actually get skewed because of the small sample size.  This is where actually understanding the game nuances and that sometimes a pitcher is just dealing (like last night) and the right call in the moment is to ride your best pitcher because he is demoralizing the other team.  By just taking him out it gave the Dodgers a confidence boost that analytics can't calculate.  We are humans and stuff like that matters.  Stress of a game 6 WS game matters.  The analytics don't factor that in. 

One of the big faults of Roberts (and why the Dodgers hadn't won prior to this under him) is that he doesn't understand this in game concept.  He over manages in series type situations and burns his pen so it ends up costing him as the series goes along.  Luckily for him the Rays had a manger that does the same thing so that aspect got cancelled out and the sheer talent won out regardless of the mismanaging. 

I guess I don't get the analytics when it comes to Snell (maybe Rays fans can chime in here).  He was a legit ace 2 years ago and early last year until some injuries.  He would routinely pitch through 6 (sometimes longer).  He seemed to be pitching fine most of this year (perhaps not as dominant 2 years ago but still very good).  Why was he consistently pampered?  He never even got a chance to pitch through 6 all year (even when he was dominating and had a pitch count in the 80s).  He's one of the best pitchers on the team (if not the best) so I just don't get that decision at all.  

Don't forget the worst team to win the WS ever and those 1988 Dodgers.....they had no business winning that WS and I still think Gibson deserved to win the MVP for that one AB alone!

I guess I don't get the analytics when it comes to Snell (maybe Rays fans can chime in here).  He was a legit ace 2 years ago and early last year until some injuries.  He would routinely pitch through 6 (sometimes longer).  He seemed to be pitching fine most of this year (perhaps not as dominant 2 years ago but still very good).  Why was he consistently pampered?  He never even got a chance to pitch through 6 all year (even when he was dominating and had a pitch count in the 80s).  He's one of the best pitchers on the team (if not the best) so I just don't get that decision at all.  
I believe they said his era for inning 7 and beyond is really high

Still seemed like a horrible decision but I’m thankful they did it

Folks always remember the epic Gibson homer...but it was Hershiser who got the Dodgers there and he was truly their MVP.
Hershiser was outstanding but they don't win that series without that Homerun.  That set the tone and punched the much more talented A's right in the face and knocked them out.  I completely agree they aren't even in the WS without Hershiser and in reality the MVP was going to go to him because they couldn't give it to a guy with only one AB but they don't win that series without it. 

Users who are viewing this thread