What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How does your league handle in season ties? (1 Viewer)

Milwalkeysbeast

Footballguy
I am the commissioner in a league that uses decimal point scoring. In 8 years we have neevr had a tie. The rules state that a tie will be decided by taking the points from all the bench players who played in a game and tallying their average vs the other teams' average bench players points. The only players who count towards the average are the ones who play in a game, whether they get a point or not. Personally, I think this is fair. Of course I woudl though, this is my rule. However, when applied after a tie this week, people are up in arms over it, and while stating no alternative, want it voted out for THIS YEAR. My ruling has and will remain that the ruling counts for this year, if it is needed to be changed it will in the off season. Of note, I sent out the league rules with every pre season email (one per month) from April to August, and ask people to discuss rules they don't like and ideas for new rules. As like every year, people ignored it.

The game game down to Dominic Rhodes - who did not record a stat and was initially not included in the average - giving the win to team A. Team B then pointed out that he saw a Dominic Rhodes punt or kick return in the game. Checking NFL.com, I saw it in the play by play results. The fact that he played put him into the player average and Team A is now the loser.

Now team A is claiming they are "being raped without lube and it hurts".

I pretty much told them tough ####.

Am I wrong? Do we have to split hairs here?

I am the commissioner in a league that uses decimal point scoring. In 8 years we have neevr had a tie. The rules state that a tie will be decided by taking the points from all the bench players who played in a game and tallying their average vs the other teams' average bench players points. The only players who count towards the average are the ones who play in a game, whether they get a point or not. Personally, I think this is fair. Of course I woudl though, this is my rule. However, when applied after a tie this week, people are up in arms over it, and while stating no alternative, want it voted out for THIS YEAR. My ruling has and will remain that the ruling counts for this year, if it is needed to be changed it will in the off season. Of note, I sent out the league rules with every pre season email (one per month) from April to August, and ask people to discuss rules they don't like and ideas for new rules. As like every year, people ignored it.The game game down to Dominic Rhodes - who did not record a stat and was initially not included in the average - giving the win to team A. Team B then pointed out that he saw a Dominic Rhodes punt or kick return in the game. Checking NFL.com, I saw it in the play by play results. The fact that he played put him into the player average and Team A is now the loser.Now team A is claiming they are "being raped without lube and it hurts".I pretty much told them tough ####.Am I wrong? Do we have to split hairs here?
In our league, a tie is a tie.Personally, I think the tiebreaker you use pretty much sucks for a few reasons:1. A team keeping backups on the roster as handcuffs get screwed.2. Unless your rules dictate the number of players you can keep at each position, it is unlikely that the bench scoring will be balanced. Based on our leagues scoring, a guy loaded with kickers is more likely to have a higher bench average. We only use tiebreakers in the playoffs, and I have thought of loading up on kickers and QBs for the finals for this very reason. Team B is being really ticky tack on this. Unless return yards are including in an offensive players stats in your league, Rhodes shouldn't count. How could you possibly know if a given player actually played or not? What if he came in as a fullback to block on one play or was on special teams coverage? How could you confirm it? This is a badly structured rule.

My problem with a tie is that come playoff time, my league is full with people who love to find a way to try and get a rule voted on or to challenge the rules.

As far as handcuffs or loading the roster with kickers goes...oh well, if they want to prepare their team for something that only happens once every eight years, so be it.

We use the highest scoring (WR/RB/TE) bench player. Solves the "loaded bench" problem mentioned by Bunker earlier, by keeping the higher average scores from Kickers and QBs out. Being a keeper league, this keeps it pretty fair between stacked teams and rebuilders also since its not an average.

Tiebreaker rule 1- total td's- for starting lineup

Tiebreaker rule 2- total yds for starting lineup -qb, rb, rb, wr, wr, wr, te

Our first tiebreaker is the team with the highest number of TD's scored by their active players. If it's still tied, we total active+bench points.

In one league we assign 1 player from our bench as a tie breaker player.

In another first we use starting Kickers pts in the game followed by QB, RB, WR, TE, then finally D/st.

In my league, we can change rules mid-season, if everyone agrees to it. If everyone else in the league feels the rule should be changed, change it.

A tie is a tie. Satisfy both and just leave it as a tie.

RTS has a tie breaker option. You choose a starting player each game who you think is going to be the highest scoring player. We don't use it until playoffs but is available regular season if you want to use it.

I don't like the bench rule at all. It seems unfair.

In the old days(before we moved to decimals), in the case of a tie we would then add up the total yards gained by the "starting" skill position players only(QB, RB, WR/TE) to break a tie and it always worked out fine.

I don't think the bench points idea is good at all.

In your instance though, if a resolution can not be made, it should remain a tie.

Let it serve as a lesson learned to your league owners for not reviewing their league rules prior to the season and taking action when the opportunity presented itself. Tough s### to them.

We use the highest scoring (WR/RB/TE) bench player. Solves the "loaded bench" problem mentioned by Bunker earlier, by keeping the higher average scores from Kickers and QBs out. Being a keeper league, this keeps it pretty fair between stacked teams and rebuilders also since its not an average.
Doesn't really seem fair. What would you do with my team last week then?18 players = 9 Starters + 9 BenchBench:11.18 = McNabb, Donovan PHI QB OUT = Brown, Chris TEN RB BYE = Johnson, Larry KCC OUT = Ward, Derrick NYG RB OUT = Harrison, Marvin IND WR OUT = Johnson, Andre HOU WR OUT = Watson, Ben NEP TE 7.00 = Crosby, Mason GBP PK BYE = Ravens, Baltimore BAL DF18.18 = Total Bench*We use decimal scoring too, and although we've never had a tie, if we did with Decimal Scoring, then it would stand.Playoffs is a different story.* I won by they way, since I know you're all wondering. :thumbup:

Mr. Sparkle said:
Tiebreaker rule 1- total td's- for starting lineupTiebreaker rule 2- total yds for starting lineup -qb, rb, rb, wr, wr, wr, te
During the playoffs we do this with a coin flip as tiebreaker 3 if by some unimaginable reason necessary. Tie is a tie during the regular season.

Our league doesn'y use decimal scoring so ties are of course more likely then in decimal scoring. Each team selects a single player as their tiebreaker. There are no restrictions on the player... they can be of any position and can (and alwasy are) a starter. If it's still tied after the tiebreaker player it remains a tie if during the regular season. During the playoffs the higher seeded (home) team wins.

Last edited by a moderator:
We don't in the regular season. A tie is a tie. Usually get about one a year and we aren't a decimal point league. Whole numbers all the way.

We have tie breakers in the playoffs. Each team submits a list of 5 guys he didn't start in order of which guy he thinks will score the highest. The first two on the list are compared. Whichever one has the highest score wins. If those two tie, they go to the next two players. Before this league formed it was comprised of 10 guys (4 of which came to the new league) before it disbanded and one time it went down to the 5th guy on the list in a playoff game....

In our league if there is a tie we give 1 pt. to the home team,this rule also makes trying to win homefield advantage for the playoffs more important.

In our league if there is a tie we give 1 pt. to the home team,this rule also makes trying to win homefield advantage for the playoffs more important.
I also wanted to add we USED to do the bench method of breaking ties,but everyone in the league unanimously agreed you shouldn't be awarded for leaving points on the bench,if anything you should be punished.

This is exactly how my league does it. Ties are allowed in regular season, but in the playoffs, the "Home" team gets an extra point to break the tie. We run decimal scoring, and we've never had a tie yet, but it's been darn close! (I won my matchup last week by 0.12).I've seen a few people mention that the "bench" system the OP uses isn't "fair" because of byes, etc. This is not the case, the scores are averaged out by the number of players who play, for example: Team A - 2 bench players play, score 18.18 pts total, = 9.09pts per player. Team B - 7 bench players play, score 63 pts total, = 9.00pts per player. Team A wins. (If I read the rule correctly). Not unfair at all from that standpoint. I do like this system because, theoretically, it rewards teams for having more depth on their team. Though it could be argued that an owner could TRY to take advantage of this system by loading up on kickers, a tie happens so infrequently, it wouldn't be worth it anyway.Bottom line here, if you want to make a change, by all means do so, but don't do it mid-season. Just explain to everyone that they are responsible for understanding the rules, and while you agree that the rule now doesn't quite seem fair, the time to change the rules is post/pre season, not mid-season.As a side note, it becomes increasingly frustrating watching the number of posters in this forum who ignore a poster's question and instead simply criticize the poster's league rules. I'm sure the OP came here hoping for good advice. If you don't have anything to offer someone, why waste your time posting?

This is exactly how my league does it. Ties are allowed in regular season, but in the playoffs, the "Home" team gets an extra point to break the tie. We run decimal scoring, and we've never had a tie yet, but it's been darn close! (I won my matchup last week by 0.12).I've seen a few people mention that the "bench" system the OP uses isn't "fair" because of byes, etc. This is not the case, the scores are averaged out by the number of players who play, for example: Team A - 2 bench players play, score 18.18 pts total, = 9.09pts per player. Team B - 7 bench players play, score 63 pts total, = 9.00pts per player. Team A wins. (If I read the rule correctly). Not unfair at all from that standpoint. I do like this system because, theoretically, it rewards teams for having more depth on their team. Though it could be argued that an owner could TRY to take advantage of this system by loading up on kickers, a tie happens so infrequently, it wouldn't be worth it anyway.Bottom line here, if you want to make a change, by all means do so, but don't do it mid-season. Just explain to everyone that they are responsible for understanding the rules, and while you agree that the rule now doesn't quite seem fair, the time to change the rules is post/pre season, not mid-season.As a side note, it becomes increasingly frustrating watching the number of posters in this forum who ignore a poster's question and instead simply criticize the poster's league rules. I'm sure the OP came here hoping for good advice. If you don't have anything to offer someone, why waste your time posting?
Thank you sir...these are my thoughts exactly and what I said to the league.

Users who are viewing this thread