What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

League integrity: Starting players who are OUT (2 Viewers)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
As commissioner I have to stand guard every f-ing Sunday for teams starting players who are deemed out. As a league we decided it is better to substitute players for them if caught in time, because to do otherwise, especially in dynasty leagues, it threatens standings and draft positioning. People pay hard earned money to join these leagues, usually about $100 entry fee, so it isn't fair to those that pay attention to their team. I know life gets in the way, but in the time of mobile devices there really isn't much excuse for it. At the very least message the commissioner to tell him / her you aren't available to check at game time to see if a player is OUT. I'm not saying teams are tanking 99% of the time, especially this early in the season, but it's a general attitude toward fantasy compared to their other activities. If you want to play in casual redraft leagues, fine, but don't join $$$ dynasty leagues and do this. It's not fair to the league.

In my one dynasty league, we have a simple rule:

If you start a player who is listed Out or IR, it will be substituted with whatever player was most highly ranked in the MFL system. That way there is no judgment required. It also doesn't need to be caught before kickoff. The commish just makes the substitution after games start.

This has pretty much eliminated the issue, other than innocent mistakes (which are then corrected).

As commissioner, I'm more than happy to help if someone has a commitment that interferes with their ability to set their lineup. Just tell me beforehand. I'll make sure the lineup gets set right in a transparent and open fashion for everybody to understand. I really don't tolerate incomplete lineups, unless it was one of those last minute surprises none of us could have seen coming.

Other leagues can do whatever they want, but we have enough people that want to be in our league and be active that you can go find a best ball league or something else if you don't want to compete and stay active.

In my one dynasty league, we have a simple rule:

If you start a player who is listed Out or IR, it will be substituted with whatever player was most highly ranked in the MFL system. That way there is no judgment required. It also doesn't need to be caught before kickoff. The commish just makes the substitution after games start.

This has pretty much eliminated the issue, other than innocent mistakes (which are then corrected).
Only difference we have is if it is missed it sands as is. I won't change it if not caught before the game starts. Perhaps that is a good idea to have a rule that if someone does this, to insert the highest ranked fantasy player that fulfills a starting requirement regardless as to whether their game has started.

Users who are viewing this thread