What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How I Met Your Mother (1 Viewer)

I like the show.

But i got a feleing the whole Robin thing will drag out for quite awhile, sure he'll hook up with other girls etc. but I guess Robin is the mother?

Guess we really wont know until the show ends.
I keep thinking he'll end up with Robin, and then I have to remind myself that, in the opening, when he's talking to the kids, he keeps mentioning "Aunt Robin"
Wait, so the Cobie Smulders character isn't the "mother"?
Well, the certainly could add another matronly character named Robin in later or coincidently have Ted have a sister named Robin and make her the "Aunt Robin" referred to in the opening...but that would be cheating.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the show.

But i got a feleing the whole Robin thing will drag out for quite awhile, sure he'll hook up with other girls etc. but I guess Robin is the mother?

I keep thinking he'll end up with Robin, and then I have to remind myself that, in the opening, when he's talking to the kids, he keeps mentioning "Aunt Robin"
Well, the certainly could add another matronly character named Robin in later or coincidently have Ted have a sister named Robin and make her the "Aunt Robin" referred to in the opening...but that would be cheating.
You sure he said that? Just watched it for the first time last night.

I like the show.

You sure he said that? Just watched it for the first time last night.
At least once, yes.

Problems come when the essential gimmick starts to break down. He is retelling a tale to his kids on how he met their mother, however, he still hasn't met the girl and he is telling story's about incidents he was not witness to. :bs:

I dropped this show after 4 episodes
Either they stopped the deal with him talking to his kids a few episodes back or my DVR is cutting off the very beginning and very end of the show.I guess they agreed with you?

Problems come when the essential gimmick starts to break down. He is retelling a tale to his kids on how he met their mother, however, he still hasn't met the girl and he is telling story's about incidents he was not witness to. :bs:

I dropped this show after 4 episodes
:eek: For some stupid reason I thought Robin was their mother.

I found the new love interest pretty annoying.
You knew that they had to delay him getting together with whoever the mother is for a while. Once they get together the show is pretty much over, isn't it?

I actually liked last night's episode. The Schmuck is still a schmuck, but the other characters really ragged him on it, so that actually works for me. Barney and Robin actually made a good "buddy" team in its own weird way.

I actually liked last night's episode. The Schmuck is still a schmuck, but the other characters really ragged him on it, so that actually works for me. Barney and Robin actually made a good "buddy" team in its own weird way.
Any chance Barney and Robin end up together, given the "Aunt Robin" discussion earlier in the thread?

Any chance Barney and Robin end up together, given the "Aunt Robin" discussion earlier in the thread?
:thumbup:

I actually liked last night's episode.  The Schmuck is still a schmuck, but the other characters really ragged him on it, so that actually works for me.  Barney and Robin actually made a good "buddy" team in its own weird way.
Ted (the Schmuck) is not related to any of the 4 other main characters, so it wouldn't affect whether Robin is an "aunt" to his future kids or not whether she eventually ended up with Barney. All four are "uncles" or "aunts" in the future. I'd say there is a chance, but it wouldn't happen soon.

Last night's episode probably was the best one in the series so far - mainly because it focused on Barney (Doogie) - and showed how he became the "Awesome" character he is today.

Last night's episode probably was the best one in the series so far - mainly because it focused on Barney (Doogie) - and showed how he became the "Awesome" character he is today.
Doogie makes that show and yes, last night's episode was Awesome. One of a very few I've liked so far (the wife loves the show for some reason).

Doogie makes that show and yes, last night's episode was Awesome. One of a very few I've liked so far (the wife loves the show for some reason).
The Sports Guy had a mailbag discussing this show recently:LINK
Q: On the "Take one for the team" shows we have to watch with our significant others -- I get stuck with every one of the ones you mentioned. I swear my girlfriend and I have made all five of your points about "The Bachelor" to each other. I actually started enjoying "How I Met Your Mother," too, because I had to watch it before taking over the TV for three hours for "MNF" (plus Robin is really hot). Any chance of ranking the best "Take one for the team" shows that guys surprisingly wind up enjoying?

-- Denis Egilmez, West Palm Beach, Fla.

SG: I'm going to do one better and unveil the "Take One for the Team" TV Show Hall of Fame.

Five ground rules here:

A. They have to be shows that, back in the day, you never would have never watched with a group of male friends under any circumstances.

B. They have to be shows you secretly enjoy.

C. Your spouse or girlfriend has to like the show at least twice as much as you.

D. The show needs to feature at least one smoking-hot female, which was the real reason you were putting up with the show (only your lady didn't realize it).

E. You have to feel like you're gaining some sort of "Now she can't give me crap about watching football for the last 11 hours" leverage from the whole thing.

Also, the George Costanza Corollary applies here. Remember the "Seinfeld" episode when George proposed to his girlfriend because he thought Jerry was going to get engaged, only Jerry called his relationship off, so poor George was stuck with a new fiancée, and the show ended with them watching the despicable "Mad About You" episode, with her smiling happily and George looking like he wanted to hang himself? In those situations, you're not taking one for the team ... you're just plain whipped. For instance, if you watch "Will and Grace" under any circumstance other than, "I cheated on my lady a few weeks ago and this is how far I will go to get her back," you need to seriously reevaluate your life.

"How I Met Your Mother" -- Has a chance to supplant "Party of Five" as the Babe Ruth of this list because it's genuinely funny at times, it's always well-structured, and it disguises itself perfectly as "a show for men and women" when it's really a show exclusively for women. For instance, what guy do you know would meet a beautiful girl at a wedding, agree not to make a move on her for the entire night, then stick to that agreement and allow her to walk away? Has this ever happened before? Ever? On the other hand, the TV broadcaster and Ted's new girlfriend rank alongside the Barton/Bilson combo. Outstanding work by this show. We'll see whether they end up neutering the guys like "Friends" did. I remain skeptical.

I wish they hadn't given Barney such a vulnerable backstory. That plot development never would have happened if this show was aimed at men.

i like the show, guilty pleasure, as i feel it reinforeces my original declaration of "left over Friends" episodes

I liked Barney's whole metamorphosis sequence like the regular guy finally becoming the superhero.

My wife loves this show, but I have to admit that I enjoy it as well.

In a way, it is similar to Qunatum Leap in that we all know how the story (show) will end, but the entire series is leading up to that point.

In a way, it is similar to Qunatum Leap in that we all know how the story (show) will end, but the entire series is leading up to that point.
We knew how Quantum Leap was going to end?

We knew how Quantum Leap was going to end?
Yeah, I didn't word that very well. We didn't know and I don't guess we know how this wil end, just what the goal would be-- getting home and meeting the mother.

I liked Barney's whole metamorphosis sequence like the regular guy finally becoming the superhero.
I thought it was a Darth Vader spoof...
Oh yeah, I guess that fits better :bag: Guess I thought the other way because I still haven't seen Episode III and I just watched Batmans Begins a couple of weeks ago. It reminded me of him being fitted with the bat suit.

I thought it was a Darth Vader spoof...
Oh yeah, I guess that fits better :bag: Guess I thought the other way because I still haven't seen Episode III and I just watched Batmans Begins a couple of weeks ago. It reminded me of him being fitted with the bat suit.
I could definetly see that!

I completely agree with every single word you said here......wife loves it, and I'm not a huge fan, but last night's episode was entertaining.I think I've finally realized why I don't like the show and it's Alyson Hanigan (band camp girl)....she just annoys the living hell out of me and is a terrible actress.

I completely agree with every single word you said here......wife loves it, and I'm not a huge fan, but last night's episode was entertaining.I think I've finally realized why I don't like the show and it's Alyson Hanigan (band camp girl)....she just annoys the living hell out of me and is a terrible actress.
:o Smoo is so going to kill you.

I'm not sure I laughed once watching last night's episode.

They are wasting Doogie's character.

I'm not sure I laughed once watching last night's episode.

They are wasting Doogie's character.
The saving grace of that episode was that it focused less on the main character than normal - but I think the theme of most episodes is how much Barney (Doogie) is wasted - even though CBS itself promotes Barney as the star of the show.

The only thing I'm hoping for now is this line from one of the Schmuck's kids.

"Dad, your life sounded boring and pathetic - we want to hear more about Uncle Barney."

Wow, the main guy is really hard to like. He's just such a moron. Not a ha-ha funny kind of moron, but just a plain old moron.

Wow, the main guy is really hard to like. He's just such a moron. Not a ha-ha funny kind of moron, but just a plain old moron.
Yeah - that is the problem with this show. It is a shame because Doogie/Barney is so good that it is being wasted because the main character is a stiff.

Tonight's was pretty funny.

"If you don't laugh, it just sounds mean."

Too bad that girl wasn't sticking around for a few more episodes at least.

I'm not too ashamed to admit that I watch this show now even without my g/f :bag:

It's seriously pretty funny compared to everthing else on TV, and I love its Seinfeldian aspect of having supporting characters that carry the show over the "main" guy (Barney's obviously awesome, Robin's hot, and the married couple had sex while his mother was still on the phone)

Solid piece on Neil Patrick Harris (about his stint in Kumar movie, etc) from the NYTIMES

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/16/arts/tel...15a8b13&ei=5070

April 16, 2006

Television

Neil Patrick Harris's Recent Roles Are a Far Cry From Doogie Howser

By MARGY ROCHLIN

Westwood, Calif.

LAST year Neil Patrick Harris, who likes to move among television, film and stage, starred in a production of Jon Robin Baitz's "Paris Letter" at the Kirk Douglas Theater in Culver City, Calif. The role required him, among other things, to act without any clothes on. "It was terrifying — horrible, horrible, horrible," he recalled, "and then somehow it was fine."

Mr. Harris has some experience overcoming exposure. When he was a formless 16-year-old he landed a starring role in the ABC drama "Doogie Howser, M.D."; when the hit show ended, four years later, he was a lanky teen star with conflicted notions about having his adolescence recorded on film. "When you age in front of the camera, you can't help but be hyper-conscious about what people think of your big Adam's apple, acne, big ears," he said. "When you become an adult, you have to figure out how to conquer that. So my body issues I had growing up feeling gawky and awkward were really put to the test."

Currently, Mr. Harris can be seen as Barney Stinson on the CBS comedy "How I Met Your Mother." In it, Mr. Harris's Barney is a big-mouthed anomaly amid a close-knit group of earnest 20-somethings living in Manhattan. While they shuffle around in Gap wear, Barney cuts a junior Rat Pack figure in tie, crisp dress shirt and Hugo Boss suit. If it is romance and commitment that his pals long for, Barney's quest is for one-nighters — hopefully involving multiple partners, outrageous lies and the forgetting of names — that might yield a crazy story to later brag about to his friends. In the hands of a lesser actor, Barney might seem too oily for that crowd. But Mr. Harris pulls off "a juggling act of being lovable and toxically awful at the same time," in the words of his co-star Josh Radnor.

"Playing Barney is a bit of sleight of hand," said Mr. Radnor, who plays the sweetly neurotic Ted. "For whatever reason, Neil has the ability to say these lines without the characters or the audience wanting to punch him in the face."

When the "Friends"-like ensemble comedy made its debut last September, the critics were won over, too. In The Boston Globe, a reviewer wrote, "Harris may be something of a surprise to a viewer used to seeing him as Doogie Howser," while The New York Daily News pronounced that Mr. Harris "steals this show, and owns it, the way Christopher Lloyd made the most of every scenes as Rev. Jim in 'Taxi.' "

That praise has been especially gratifying for Mr. Harris, since he didn't agonize over getting the part. "There's lots of jobs that you audition for thinking you're just perfect, that there's no one else who could do the part but you," said Mr. Harris, who remembered breezing into the casting room and proceeding to bounce around. "But Barney? I never thought I'd get the job, so I went in without giving it much care. I did a dive roll. I slammed into their desk. I was pretty insane."

Whether those hiring the actors for "How I Met Your Mother" knew it or not, spontaneous gymnastics are only part of Mr. Harris's arsenal. While growing up in the small town of Ruidoso, N.M., Mr. Harris, the youngest son of two lawyers, learned to sing in the choir of his Episcopal church and found that he could pick his way through a tune on the xylophone, bass clarinet, French horn, oboe and tuba. Beyond that he became an expert juggler; once, he helped saw a woman into thirds on the Jerry Lewis Muscular Dystrophy Telethon, and these days is working on his double back flip on the trapeze.

"I take to things pretty easily, but I don't take time to master them," he said. "I'm a magic and variety-arts fan — I love sword swallowing, glass walking, plate spinning, all that stuff."

He made his Broadway debut as the math nerd boyfriend in "Proof" in 2002, played the sexually ambiguous emcee in the Roundabout Theater Company's "Cabaret" in 2003 and his stint as Toby in a Los Angeles production of "Sweeney Todd" impressed Stephen Sondheim enough that he had Mr. Harris repeat the role at Lincoln Center, which led to the role of Lee Harvey Oswald in a 2004 revival of Mr. Sondheim's "Assassins." But one of the first things Mr. Harris learned 13 years ago after his first series was canceled, was that in network television, his only use was as a semi-name who could fill the blond-haired, baby-faced do-gooder slot in long-form television movies.

"I was only getting jobs I was offered, not the ones I was auditioning for, because I had previous baggage," said Mr. Harris, who in the now-what? phase of his life relocated from Los Angeles to remote Placitas, N.M. Still, he's not bitter: "When you're an adolescent," he said, "you want to redefine yourself. But I'm 32 and now appreciate the uniqueness of that whole chapter," said Mr. Harris, who never knows what to say when people tiptoe gingerly around the topic. "When I talk about 'Doogie Howser,' everyone sort of cowers like I loathe the past I've had. Which is entirely not the case."

One step Mr. Harris has taken toward correcting this misperception was to appear in a feature film called "Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle." In it, two affable stoners pick up a hitchhiker who turns out to be a car-stealing, stripper-loving, Ecstasy-fueled former child actor named Neil Patrick Harris. The character is what Jon Hurwitz, who wrote the screenplay with Hayden Schlossberg, described in a telephone interview as "an alternate-universe version" of Mr. Harris. "When we were writing it, we were hopeful he'd understand it wasn't a Gary Coleman part, that the joke wasn't at his expense," said Mr. Hurwitz, adding that if Mr. Harris said no, their second choice was Ralph Macchio, the former "Karate Kid."

These days, Mr. Harris is preparing to play the lead in Arthur Miller's "All My Sons" at the Geffen Playhouse. While eating soup in a Westwood delicatessen, he had a case of the nerves. This time, however, they were about getting a new role right, not finessing an image of Neil Patrick Harris. He was, he said, in "that flop-sweaty" stage of character exploration when "everything I do is bad."

"My voice is bad, my smile is bad, my posture is bad, everything I do is bad," he said.

At that moment, his thoughts turned to the liberating pleasure of playing Barney, who is all id. "In that job, all I'm really looking for is takes, whether they be triple or spit," said Mr. Harris, wistfully. "I don't wonder where Barney threw up last night or who his parents are. I just make bold choices and hope they stick."

I like the show.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've read interviews with the executive producers, and they make it 100% crystal clear that Robin is not the mother.

They need to do something to jump start this show. They also need to lay off the Robin angle because people are going to be just like Idiot Boxer and get into the mindset that they're going to end up together.

Users who are viewing this thread