What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How many FF Leagues are you in this year? (1 Viewer)

Reals ones that you'll actually manage

Votes: 3 1.6%

Votes: 19 10.3%

Votes: 32 17.4%

Votes: 34 18.5%

Votes: 25 13.6%

Votes: 22 12.0%
  • 5+

Votes: 49 26.6%

• Total voters
Same, four leagues. More than I usually do, but at least they're all different formats. I have a 14-team keeper, an 18-team superflex/IDP keeper, a 12-team auction, and a 12-team redraft. I'm barely invested in the redraft, both cash-wise and mentally, but it felt too weird not to have a single snake-style redraft this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two money leagues. Thats what works for me. Any more, and I feel it takes away from the fun, and its too hard to manage effectively.

2 leagues, one higher stakes, one lower stakes, both local live people.

1 pick 'em league

Three leagues:

- 12 team redraft PPR with low scoring for yardage and bonus pts for long TDs (this is an old league with strange scoring rules)

- 14 team 3 man keeper PPR (another old league with oddly high scoring for receiving yards)

- 12 team dynasty 0.5 PPR

All of them are very different and require their own strategy, which is why I stay in them. Plus, the dynasty is the "youngest" at only 6 years.

funny i was just about to create the same thread.

ummmmm i have 8 teams :o .. I normally have 2 or 3 higher money leagues.. I got too excited signing up for the leagues this year. and signed up for my normal money leagues and then some lower money leagues as well.

YIKES!!!

14 this season, 5 dynasty, 2 keeper and 7 redraft! It might be a bit too much but I love it and I have plenty of free time with my job right now, I think next year when I'm in the States I will have to downsize my number of leagues but for now I'm good =)

14 this season, 5 dynasty, 2 keeper and 7 redraft! It might be a bit too much but I love it and I have plenty of free time with my job right now, I think next year when I'm in the States I will have to downsize my number of leagues but for now I'm good =)
:shock:

I am in 11 (6 dynasty 5 redraft) Got a little crazy in the redraft this year (I normally only do 2) because I thought 2 of my dynasty leagues were going to fold and I had the draft itch. I am also in 7 other mock draft leagues (basicly draft and forget) so yes I have a problem.

Anything over 2 is just foolishness... Even at 2, you still have some crossover and makes routing for and against stuff annoying. Once you hit 3, there is way too much and it just gets silly.

Anything over 2 is just foolishness... Even at 2, you still have some crossover and makes routing for and against stuff annoying. Once you hit 3, there is way too much and it just gets silly.
You might have wanted to start that with "For me" as given the number of people that are in more than two leagues that statement is a pile of rubbish.

You might have wanted to start that with "For me" as given the number of people that are in more than two leagues that statement is a pile of rubbish.
It is a statement of fact - When you play in 4 leagues you could be routing for the same RB in two and against him in two others. Then you have a WR but you play against his QB in one league and the same WR in another, oh and you start the QB in the last - The chief reason people play in so many leagues is so they can have at least have 1 or possibly 2 title contending teams and forget about the bad ones - Playing in 4 leagues is gambling for sake of gambling... Strategy is almost out of the window as opposed to playing in 1 or 2...

Most people in that many leagues know they just need a FF fix, nothing wrong with that, but for me it makes it less enjoyable.

One full IDP (18 starters, 45 man rosters) dynasty league, used to have a couple of re-drafts as well but cant be bothered to do them anymore.

It is a statement of fact - When you play in 4 leagues you could be routing for the same RB in two and against him in two others. Then you have a WR but you play against his QB in one league and the same WR in another, oh and you start the QB in the last - The chief reason people play in so many leagues is so they can have at least have 1 or possibly 2 title contending teams and forget about the bad ones - Playing in 4 leagues is gambling for sake of gambling... Strategy is almost out of the window as opposed to playing in 1 or 2...

Most people in that many leagues know they just need a FF fix, nothing wrong with that, but for me it makes it less enjoyable.
I'm in 10 redrafts and I don't regret it at all. I'm not involved in FF to "root" for people. I'm in it for a fun hobby that also happens to be profitable. Managing 10 teams isn't that hard - I spent no more than 30-45 minutes each night last year responding/sending trades and/or waiver pickups. I managed a 78% ROI last year on 8 leagues so I upped it to 10 this year, and I feel better about my leagues this year than last. Even if I don't end up profitable this year, I will likely win a decent portion of my money back and I had fun doing it. It's a lot cheaper hobby at my stakes (~$100 per league) for year-round enjoyment (also in a few dynasty leagues) than other hobbies.

Seeing a box score or someone doing well that you don't own in many leagues doesn't impact me at all. It's like poker - you can't let one hand get you down. It's all about positive equity in the long-run and finding opportunities for pickups or trades. I don't stress at all about individual players.

It is not a fact, how can enjoyment ever be a fact? Yes you may run into the situation in question but I find that fun, Trying to work out whether I can win in both leagues if a certain thing happens or not.

Strategy never goes out of the window, every team is it's own team, you set it up the best you can and maintain it. If you think of it how you do then sure it can be a bad thing but I don't see it as such. As for it being gambling, sure and gambling is fun and I've spent less on my leagues than many people spend on one, I see it as spreading the fun. I love drafting, I love hunting on the waiver wire, I love setting lineups and scouring injury reports.

So why do that only in one or two leagues? More leagues for me = more fun. As I said in my post I have plenty of free time out here, I have plenty of free time. Next year I will probably move down to 6-8 leagues as I won't have the same free time!

It's also more of a challenge, I like to sit and look at my results for the week, say I won 9 and lost 5, that's a pretty good week, won 4 and lost 10, need to have a rethink and make some deals maybe?

Everyone is wired different, if you said you did extreme ironing and it made you tick I'd be happy for you, think you were a little nuts true but if that's what floats you boat and it's not effecting your life/job go for it, just my take!

Agree with this 100%. Sure Mccoy might beat you in one league, but he might lead you to a league championship in another.

With the 8 leagues I am in, I basically need to win 1 league to end up breaking even and could be more depending on the league and advancement in playoffs.

When you have 1 team, if you drafted AP First and he blows out a knee and Garcon breaks a finger, your season can be done in week 1. Last year I had one team and it got off to a bad start and was never able to recover had some guys who didnt live up to their ADP and it was rough.

But now if you have multiple teams if someone gets hurt, or just stinks sure it sucks that one team will be crap, but hey at least i got t-rich and doug martin on other teams who are leading the league in rushing or whatever.

For me fantasy is a social game with (usually) a financial return. I have partners in most leagues so that makes it fun, plus the groups of guys is different in each. The "rooting for someone who's playing for me in one league but against me in another" generally doesn't bother me, except in the playoffs as I have a fairly clear prioritization for which games/leagues I want to win most each week. I'm also fairly comfortable that (beer commercials aside) my rooting has no actual impact on what the players do, so that makes it easier :)

Biggest loss for me is that I don't make many trades because I don't have/spend the time to understand the strengths and weaknesses of the other teams in all those leagues.

6 leagues for me this year that I will manage, plus 4 "best ball" that I will watch fairly closely.

6 managed leagues, 4 different formats

1. 12 team Dynasty (asst commish) - my team is a lock to make the playoffs barring an absolute catastrophe, so I work on this one until redraft league drafts start, and then start managing closely around week 10 or so. I don't have the cap room to pick up players during the year.

2. 12 team friends league (commish) - I mucked with the format this year and caused angst, so it is taking more time than usual. I'm hoping the new format (Survivor + Week 14-16 playoffs + Playoffs during NFL playoffs + H2H regular season champ and points champ = Five Crowns) will breathe some life into this

3. 12 team work league (old job) - standard league with week 14-16 playoffs

4. 10 team business school league - - standard league with week 15-16 playoffs

5. Weekly league/pool where you pick 1 QB, 1 RB, 1 WR each week and can't pick anyone twice

6. 12 team online league with my 10 year old son - this is my only free league, but any opportunity to spend more time with the boy the better

4 FBG best ball leagues

1. FBG subscriber contest - I spend an abnormal amount of time on this, considering that I can't impact it now that rosters are set. I've spent so much time on the bubble the last two years, it has made Monday Night Football fun

2-4 WSL, SSL, PDSL (I think those are the right acronyms!)

Almost happened...

FanDuel - contemplated due to the kicker in the subscriber pool, and may still do this

FFPC - started the registration process, but decided it was just too much to add to the above, with limited emotional upside. I'm going to track it this year a bit to see if it's something to do next year.

More on the "rooting for and against myself".... as a stat geek, I have no problems when on Monday Night (and Sunday Night) where I'm rooting for someone to hit a wacky window (as long as there's some space in that window). Needing Rodgers to throw between 305 and 340 for me to win both leagues makes the end of games more exciting for me.

3 is my limit - 1 very competitive, 1 very fun, and a work league. All live drafts with local friends, relatives and co-workers. 20+ years now with many of the same people.

Only one for me. 12 years in this league with the same local guys. If I had more time, I would do more. One keeps the NFL interesting while not taking up much time.

3 for me this year that actually count. 14th year of a league with college buddies, 10 team league with some students and a couple other teachers, and a fill in team in a friends league. All redrafts. I really want to try and find a dynasty or keeper league.

I'm in 10 redrafts and I don't regret it at all. I'm not involved in FF to "root" for people. I'm in it for a fun hobby that also happens to be profitable. Managing 10 teams isn't that hard - I spent no more than 30-45 minutes each night last year responding/sending trades and/or waiver pickups. I managed a 78% ROI last year on 8 leagues so I upped it to 10 this year, and I feel better about my leagues this year than last. Even if I don't end up profitable this year, I will likely win a decent portion of my money back and I had fun doing it. It's a lot cheaper hobby at my stakes (~$100 per league) for year-round enjoyment (also in a few dynasty leagues) than other hobbies.

Seeing a box score or someone doing well that you don't own in many leagues doesn't impact me at all. It's like poker - you can't let one hand get you down. It's all about positive equity in the long-run and finding opportunities for pickups or trades. I don't stress at all about individual players.
nice stats on the ROI.

Was that a career year for you?

I guess technically anything over 0% is better then nothing with ROI.

This year I was doing a test to see what my threshold for FF was. I commish my local league, and am also in 4 others. Once the 4th draft was done I was realizing that my limit is probably just two or three.

I agree that once you are in so many leagues, the rooting interest is just awkward. However, I also agree with people that if you are in just 1 league, a big injury could ruin your season and then you have nothing else to fall back on. This is why I would say 2-3 leagues would be perfect for me. Next year I plan on doing my local redraft league, and then joining a dynasty league, and perhaps test out the waters on a IDP league. For me 5 is just too many.

nice stats on the ROI.

Yea, best year, but only my second year. I haven't been involved in FF very long. First year I had no idea what I was doing. Last year I didn't know a lot but did really well. I'm pretty confident in my leagues this year, but of course that means I'll probably do terrible. Anything above 0% is gravy for me... I don't really -need- the money but it's nice to win something. I think over 20% represents a successful season. ROI is so sporadic with small sample sizes. I was a touchdown away in one league from not even making the playoffs, then went on to win it, which was almost half my winnings. Then I was two points in another league from 2nd to 1st, which would have added another 30% to my ROI.

I'm in a total of 12 leagues this year. But 10 are just Best Ball format, so nothing to do for those during the season. The other 2 are my main redraft leagues.

7. Usually do 2-3, but after winning 3 of 4 last year I wanted to join more $$$ leagues. Usually just do it for fun, but this year it's a nice side business for me. ;)

nice stats on the ROI.

Yea, best year, but only my second year. I haven't been involved in FF very long. First year I had no idea what I was doing. Last year I didn't know a lot but did really well. I'm pretty confident in my leagues this year, but of course that means I'll probably do terrible. Anything above 0% is gravy for me... I don't really -need- the money but it's nice to win something. I think over 20% represents a successful season. ROI is so sporadic with small sample sizes. I was a touchdown away in one league from not even making the playoffs, then went on to win it, which was almost half my winnings. Then I was two points in another league from 2nd to 1st, which would have added another 30% to my ROI.
good post..

yeah i just used my roi calculator and figured if i went 2 of my smaller leagues I get a ROI of 3%. but I win just one of my bigger leagues it goes up to 37%. Like you said the swings in ROI for those amounts is wild

More on the "rooting for and against myself".... as a stat geek, I have no problems when on Monday Night (and Sunday Night) where I'm rooting for someone to hit a wacky window (as long as there's some space in that window). Needing Rodgers to throw between 305 and 340 for me to win both leagues makes the end of games more exciting for me.
I'm in 9 and barely pay attention to the points during games until Monday. I cheer for teams (yes, two), not just my ff players.

Multiple leagues doesn't add all that much time in research, but does add some with responding to emails and setting lineups.

13, only 2 are draft master, 8 are offense + full IDP.

eta that doesn't include my subscriber team or fanduel.

4 dynasty

1 contract/cap dynasty

2 anarchy pick em

1 mfl10

1 best ball

1 Fanium redraft

I commish 2 of the dynasty leagues, might want to cut back next year.

whose the wise guy who voted for 0?
I saw someone post not too long ago that they gave up FF, and still come to the site because they like reading up on the news and stuff, so it's probably valid.
makes sense. get a lot of good information here about guys you other wise wouldnt really know.

Examples (I know there are a lot more but)

Julius Thomas, and Marlon Brown, when your around these parts those are regular names. Talking to people at work or else where they look at you like: Do you mean Julius Erving and Marlon Brando?

I saw someone post not too long ago that they gave up FF, and still come to the site because they like reading up on the news and stuff, so it's probably valid.
makes sense. get a lot of good information here about guys you other wise wouldnt really know.

Julius Thomas, and Marlon Brown, when your around these parts those are regular names. Talking to people at work or else where they look at you like: Do you mean Julius Erving and Marlon Brando?
I don't play FF any more. I still come to this site mostly for the FFA, but I pop in here fairly regularly, I guess. It is a good way to keep up with NFL information and information about individual players.

Living in Buffalo, a city with an NFL team without a massive local fanbase on this board, I feel I have something to offer in the Bills threads.

Also, you can count on anything I say to be impartial. I have no underlying bias that I expect player X or player Y have a good year because he is on my team....because I have no FF teams. I think the underlying bias gets overlooked too often on a lot of the hype trains around here. It's easy to fall in love with a player and overrate him, I did it plenty of times back in the day. Sometimes you need that unbiased person to bring you back to earth. :shrug:

I don't play FF any more. I still come to this site mostly for the FFA, but I pop in here fairly regularly, I guess. It is a good way to keep up with NFL information and information about individual players.

Living in Buffalo, a city with an NFL team without a massive local fanbase on this board, I feel I have something to offer in the Bills threads.

Also, you can count on anything I say to be impartial. I have no underlying bias that I expect player X or player Y have a good year because he is on my team....because I have no FF teams. I think the underlying bias gets overlooked too often on a lot of the hype trains around here. It's easy to fall in love with a player and overrate him, I did it plenty of times back in the day. Sometimes you need that unbiased person to bring you back to earth. :shrug:
FFA?

good post.. very true statement, someones fresh set of eyes when trying to decide between 2 guys is a powerful thing.

Users who are viewing this thread