What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How much do you pay in property tax for your home? (3 Viewers)

How much do you pay in property tax?

• $100-$999

Votes: 15 5.3%
  • $1000-$1999

Votes: 17 6.0%
  • $2000-$3999

Votes: 74 26.1%
  • $4000-$5999

Votes: 62 21.9%
  • $6000-$7999

Votes: 37 13.1%
  • $8000-$9999

Votes: 20 7.1%
  • $10,000-$11,999

Votes: 15 5.3%
  • $12,000-$14,999

Votes: 14 4.9%
  • $15K+

Votes: 21 7.4%
  • I do not own a house

Votes: 8 2.8%

• Total voters
What the hell do you guys get for $10k+ in taxes? Gilded fire hydrants?
I have no idea, we do get a good school but I imagine there are tons of people on here with a good school paying 1/3 of what we pay. Other than that we get garbage pickup, police, (volunteer) fire department, (volunteer) ambulance, a library, snow removal, recycling pickup weekly, a couple of blue recycling receptacles, a community center and and light on the roads.

I other words, probably exactly what you get for $5000

F me

I have no idea, we do get a good school but I imagine there are tons of people on here with a good school paying 1/3 of what we pay. Other than that we get garbage pickup, police, (volunteer) fire department, (volunteer) ambulance, a library, snow removal, recycling pickup weekly, a couple of blue recycling receptacles, a community center and and light on the roads.

F me
I assume that (at least partially) it has to do with the overall cost of living and goods pressures in these areas. If the school district needs to do construction, pay employees, hire other contractors, etc. it is going to need to pay more in an area where cost of living is higher.

$2600, 1800sqft house (homesteaded, so don't pay tax on $50k)

$1500, 1700sqft condo

Last edited by a moderator:
1300 sq foot house ( way too small for our growing family), I pay $2600.

Wanna move to nj but taxes there are ridonkulous

Middlesex county is "reasonable " as far as Central NJ taxes go...don't you work in that county?

Not sure what you spend on gas and tolls but even with 6k in property taxes you might still be ahead.

2,750 Sq ft 2 story 4 bedroom 3 bath 8190 Sq ft yard with swimming pool in Chandler AZ

Just north of $2,500.

Some pretty ridiculous numbers posted above. House was built in 2002. Decent neighborhood with HOA about $650 a year.

I pay a ridiculous $450.00 on a 3200 Square foot, $240,000 home.

Louisiana has a huge exemption on property taxes. We make up for it with very high sales taxes (9.75%).
We get both in Chicago...raped on property taxes and sales tax. Yipee.
This ^^^^^
And a 3.75% income tax on top of it (which I expect to get raised back to 5%).
Yup. The day I move out of this state will be a top 10 best day of my life. I can't wait for that to happen!

F me
Isn't most of it just a cost of living adjustment? It costs more to live in certain parts of the country but at the same time you get should be getting paid more to make up for it. Teachers also get paid more for living in that same place and that extra salary is covered by higher property taxes.

Middlesex county is "reasonable " as far as Central NJ taxes go...don't you work in that county?Not sure what you spend on gas and tolls but even with 6k in property taxes you might still be ahead.
I work in essex
Some decent taxes on homes in Newark.
lol I'll pass

It's an issue of 'do you get what you pay for'? In Illinois - hell no. In MN now we have great parks, public bike trails and amazing libraries, free music and art festivals and great schools. I don't mind paying taxes if I see where the money is going.

This is why I always laugh at people who move to the South and say 'my taxes are so much lower!' Sure. And look at the school ratings and public amenities. And any metro built in the last 20 years will by definition have less maintenance (roads, bridges, municipal buildings etc are all newer).

It's an issue of 'do you get what you pay for'? In Illinois - hell no. In MN now we have great parks, public bike trails and amazing libraries, free music and art festivals and great schools. I don't mind paying taxes if I see where the money is going.

This is why I always laugh at people who move to the South and say 'my taxes are so much lower!' Sure. And look at the school ratings and public amenities. And any metro built in the last 20 years will by definition have less maintenance (roads, bridges, municipal buildings etc are all newer).
I moved south (LI to ATL) and I'm paying nearly half in taxes and more than 2x the house and property. School ratings are just as good or better, amenities better.

Except this is painting with a very broad brush...

I moved south (LI to ATL) and I'm paying nearly half in taxes and more than 2x the house and property. School ratings are just as good or better, amenities better.
Yep, moving to NC in a few months from the suburbs of Chicago. Much cheaper and same or better schools.

Ok. Not all the south clearly. But you don't get things for free is all I'm saying.
I agree with that, you don't get things for free, its just that in metro Tri-State area you are simply paying too much for bloated government salaries and pensions. I'd assume thats what is driving high taxes in Chicago area also.

King County, few miles north of downtown Seattle 5800 sq foot lot. Just over 4K I think. Looks like I'm getting a deal compared to other places.

Ok. Not all the south clearly. But you don't get things for free is all I'm saying.
I agree with that, you don't get things for free, its just that in metro Tri-State area you are simply paying too much for bloated government salaries and pensions. I'd assume thats what is driving high taxes in Chicago area also.
Yep. Although Lake County Illinois (county north of Cook - not same county as Chicago city) has much higher prop taxes. I know the city/Cook county are going up but in general, Lake County is high prop taxes, Cook high sales tax.

$4k in Maryland on 2300 sqft

$2k in Michigan on 1000 sq feet+land

$6k in Italy on 3 unit Apartment complex (approx 5000 sq ft)

Yep. Over $100 billion of unfunded pension obligations for IL too. Not sure if that includes Chicago or not, didn't look. Complete mess.

shadyridr said:
comfortably numb said:
shadyridr said:
comfortably numb said:
shadyridr said:

Middlesex county is "reasonable " as far as Central NJ taxes go...don't you work in that county?Not sure what you spend on gas and tolls but even with 6k in property taxes you might still be ahead.
I work in essex
Some decent taxes on homes in Newark.
lol I'll pass
Tell you what, I moved from SI to NJ and while the property taxes are higher, the income tax (state only, no NYC tax and no more commuter tax) will save you a ton and forget about the bridge toll daily. I am down in Brick, paying little over 4K/year for a ranch and I would trade that for the well over 2k a year that you spend on the bridge in a heartbeat.

I will say that low vs high taxes in NJ does not always represent quality of town. My town is next to Howell, they pay double the tax rate for the same property and also next to Lakewood, which also charges double for a real troubled quality of life town.

Thanks to prop 13 in CA, my parents pay about $2000 for their house and I pay 15k+, even though right now they are fairly similar in value.

I pay a hair under $10k. Lot size is around 7,200 sf and house is just under 2,000 sf. I'm in Passaic County in north NJ right on the Essex border

Thanks to prop 13 in CA, my parents pay about $2000 for their house and I pay 15k+, even though right now they are fairly similar in value.
This. While our tax and cost of living situation sucks in CA, for those that have lived in the same house for a long time Prop 13 is gold. I still pay about $4400 a year. If I sold and moved to something similar it would be 3-4X that. One reason I'm not in a hurry to move. Been in the same house 19 years now.

Been in the same house in Marin County for 11 years but our home improvement project last year just put us above 15k for property tax. Now a 5BR house, 2800 sq ft on 0.3 of an acre.

AcerFC said:
Getzlaf15 said:
Almost $49000
holy smokes. One property or more
more.

Should be $50,500, but the Treasurer ####ed up one of them and only charged me $198.
Was hoping you'd say one property, so I wouldn't feel like the biggest sucker here.

I'm around 31-32k for just one home. 4500sqft on 100x150 lot in the Long Island burbs. Keep telling myself life will be grand when I eventually pay off the mortgage, but of course it's still going to cost me well over 2 grand a month just to keep living in the house I own outright. Oof.

Last edited by a moderator:
Waaaaay too much for the Baltimore city services that I don't use. Gotta pay those wrongful death lawsuits of somehow!

Still prefer living here over the soul crushing suburbs or exurbs.

AcerFC said:
Getzlaf15 said:
Almost $49000
more.

Should be $50,500, but the Treasurer ####ed up one of them and only charged me $198.
Was hoping you'd say one property, so I wouldn't feel like the biggest sucker here.

I'm around 31-32k for just one home. 4500sqft on 100x150 lot in the Long Island burbs. Keep telling myself life will be grand when I eventually pay off the mortgage, but of course it's still going to cost me well over 2 grand a month just to keep living in the house I own outright. Oof.
Isn't a good bit of the cost for the good schools? I'd think when you retire and no longer need top notch schools, you'd move.

cap said:
2,750 Sq ft 2 story 4 bedroom 3 bath 8190 Sq ft yard with swimming pool in Chandler AZ

Just north of $2,500.

Some pretty ridiculous numbers posted above. House was built in 2002. Decent neighborhood with HOA about $650 a year.
Are you a native?

The wife and I have seriously been considering a move to the Phoenix area from Chicago burbs. Cost of living is one of the primary motivators. We could buy twice the house and pay 1/4 the property tax.... and I think things are only going to get worse for Illinois.

AcerFC said:
Getzlaf15 said:
Almost $49000
more.

That's insane. What the hell does that pay for?

Thread title changed to just home. My home is $3500/yr. 2900 sq ft on 3/8 acre. Slightly larger than 100 x 150 by about 10%.

Users who are viewing this thread