What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How Much Time Do You Spend With Your In Laws? (1 Viewer)

That's the thing. I haven't let things get to the point that my wife wants expects . . . and that is what is causing the friction. The rest of the year, I am on the hook for a week long family reunion, a week on the road at Thanksgiving, and hosting the parents for a week at Christmas. There will likely be some isolated events here and there, but that's pretty much my limit. There is talk of trying to schedule another week of vacation with the in laws, and I will opt out of that one.

The latest development is my in laws are planning on buying a condo in the local area to be around more (as they will both be retired soon). I don't know if that will make things better or worse. I would much prefer to trade week long outings for more one day or evening local visits as it is far less disruptive that way. But if that is intended to be ON TOP of the trips, then I will not be pleased with that development.
What I’m saying is that you’ve done all this stuff for a while so adding more doesn’t seem crazy to her.  I would not have let it get to the point where I was doing 2-3 week long things each year.  If I didn’t live close by then either a week at a holiday OR a week of vacation would be ok.  

This is one of the craziest things I've read in the FFA. 4-6 weeks a YEAR with family living 1000+ miles away? I like my in-laws and that would still prompt me to locate the nearest bullet or building ledge if this was a "requirement". 

I've been here before, and while it never happened with some of the semi-big stuff you mentioned here, it would happen with just the random family get togethers on my wife's side. It probably bubbled up when we were engaged and here's why. Her parents do everything together. Her oldest sister and her husband do everything together (aided by her husband's family being a mess and he has very little contact with them). Her next oldest sister and her husband do everything together (aided by husband's family living in their town, so they see them more for an hour or so here and there during the week than the all day types of events). So they never had to deal with splitting holidays and frankly between all of them, they never left each other's side. 

My wife and I were different from the beginning, as most people are, and if they heard that my wife went out with her friends on a Friday night while I went out with mine, they thought that was weird and would give her similar "grief" about it. I'm not talking about every day or 5x a week...like even if it was just once or twice a month.

And then there were times I'd miss a BBQ at her parents' house because I went to a game or was golfing and my wife would be perfectly okay with it, but when I'd get home I'd have to deal with all of the #### that they laid on her for me not being there. She never stood up to them and defended me, saying that it was normal for us to not spend every waking moment together. I finally lashed out and helped her see the big picture: this is our life, not theirs, and we'll live it the way we want to, and #### anyone who has a problem with it.

You're probably 15 years past due on this but it's never too late. 
Similar - when I didn't show up to places.  My wife would find an excuse.   He's sick or something else.    I told her just tell them I couldn't make it.   They can think I'm a #### - I don't care at this point

Agree with everyone who has said 4-6 weeks for parents who chose to move far away is unreasonable.

My inlaws used to live in town, and we saw them almost weekly.  That was too much for me.  Then they moved a couple of hours away, and other than when my mother in law lived with us for a while, we hardly ever see them now.  My wife's relationship with them is different than yours, as she doesn't have the same desire to see them even though she's an only child.  Once they moved away, they stopped coming down for the grandkids birthdays, and even holidays when invited.  They expect us to drive up there to see them, but don't do the same.  Once that started my wife stopped giving a F.  My wife brings the kids to visit the week of Christmas, and on those unlucky weeks (for me) that Christmas falls on a weekend, I will go up too.  She will bring them up for an overnight over the summer, but I haven't gone on that for ages.  My mother in law still works near up so I'll join my wife for dinner with her a few times a year.  That's about it, and it is glorious.

What prompted this is we have a graduation to go to next week . . . a 4 hour drive away. My version of the event would be to drive there early Saturday, be there all afternoon and evening Saturday, go to graduation on Sunday early afternoon, and drive back Sunday night after dinner. One night in a hotel. No Missed work. Easy peasy.

However, she made plans for Friday / Saturday / Sunday late with her parents being involved. So her version of the outing now involves two missed days of work for me (Friday and Monday) and three nights in a hotel. Since she gets one day off a week, she can reconfigure her schedule to not miss any work at all.

This battle went on for 3 days (and I eventually caved rather than argue about it forever). Tickets and reservations were already bought and paid for, so it would have been difficult to get out of that (unless we wanted to eat the costs).

Her side of the argument was that I should embrace and support her seeing her family more, and I was being a buzz kill by not wanting to make it a fun, extended weekend.

This sounds miserable.   

I know you mentioned the in-laws moved away from their kids and grandkids but I don't think you specifically mentioned if you guys had kids. Are we only talking about the two of you here making all these trips?

It kinda sounds like your wife just hasn't grown up from the stage where what the parents say goes and there's no flexibility away from that. She also comes across as pretty selfish when she bases the idea of these weekend trips around being able to manipulate her own schedule to avoid missing work, but doesn't give you the same courtesy.

Brutal, sorry GB. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Paris, I don't know anythng about you (don't have a good notebook), but my observations in this thread that the in-laws are an issue, but the real issue seems to be money.  I'm not sure who wears the money pants in your familiy, but it seems like you and your wife are not on the same page financially.  It seems she wants to take time off willy nilly regardless of how it affects your work and income.  Talking about time with in laws doesn't affect the main issue here.  I think you would have to be some the same page money-wise and work wise before you can really address the issue of how much time to spend with her parents.

RUSF18 said:
I know you mentioned the in-laws moved away from their kids and grandkids but I don't think you specifically mentioned if you guys had kids. Are we only talking about the two of you here making all these trips?

It kinda sounds like your wife just hasn't grown up from the stage where what the parents say goes and there's no flexibility away from that. She also comes across as pretty selfish when she bases the idea of these weekend trips around being able to manipulate her own schedule to avoid missing work, but doesn't give you the same courtesy.

Brutal, sorry GB. 
Yes, we have multiple kids (to summarize, we both were married before and each had kids and then we had one together). The in laws lived in town and moved away when the kids were in middle school or elementary school. There is only one kid left in the house as the others are in or are done with college.

Part of the issue is my wife has a corporate job filled with stress and a lot of stress and BS. So in her mind, she needs more vacation and more support. Apparently she feels she gets more of that (or things are more relaxed) spending time with her parents. If that is how she feels, not much I can say about it.

In her mind, since I work for myself, I should have unfettered flexibility and can choose to take time off whenever I want. Of course that's not how things work in the real world, but she looks at it that I don't need to get permission to take time off and I don't have to ask for vacation 6 months in advance. In her opinion, I should be able to better manage my work schedule to pre-plan taking scheduled vacation time.

While that may be true, that doesn't equate (in my mind) that the destination should always be something involving her family.

Bull Dozier said:
Paris, I don't know anythng about you (don't have a good notebook), but my observations in this thread that the in-laws are an issue, but the real issue seems to be money.  I'm not sure who wears the money pants in your familiy, but it seems like you and your wife are not on the same page financially.  It seems she wants to take time off willy nilly regardless of how it affects your work and income.  Talking about time with in laws doesn't affect the main issue here.  I think you would have to be some the same page money-wise and work wise before you can really address the issue of how much time to spend with her parents.
Money is an issue with most couples, and it's more of what to do WITH the money than not having money. We have always had a weird finance system in my house, as there has been child support involved so there has never been a simple accounting method. I have always pushed for a system where all money goes into a joint account and all bills should be paid from said account.

Instead, we have separate finances and are each responsible for a certain amount each month. Since we each have been paying our share of the expenses, it's what happens with the surplus that makes things tougher to deal with. In her mind, as long as the bills are getting paid, any extra money we each make should be consider our own to do with as we please. That isn't great (and usually is not abused), but makes things tough.

For example, I thought by abstaining from going on some trips she wouldn't go . . . or at a minimum the trip would cost less because I wasn't going. Instead, she would get better accommodations, eat at better restaurants, or otherwise get upgrades that would eliminate any savings from me not going. She likes to travel, and she has mentioned many times she is not going to just stay home because I don't want to go or because I have to work.

So what you said is partially true . . . she doesn't care how things impact my work and income. But she does care that the bills are getting paid, and since they are, then in her mind I can afford to take more time off.

As far as work goes, part of the issue is she works within the typical corporation vacation schedule and I don't. Things would probably be better on the vacation front if I also had a job with limited vacation time and I could point to my employer as not granting me vacation in the time frame she wanted to do something.

The bigger issue than money, as I see it, is why is she so interested or dependent on seeing her parents so much. Like others in this thread have mentioned, most people don't spend so much time with their parents and families. Every family is different so that is mostly irrelevant, but it seems like she is going a little overboard in that area.

Wait does she use her funds or joint funds?
I guess it depends if you believe couples have individual funds or not.

Her income is pretty much fixed with some minor variation based on overtime, small bonuses, etc. My income can vary a lot more based on how much work I have to do and if I am actually working. She is still paying her portion of our bills, so I guess one could argue that she is using "her funds."

However, as I mentioned earlier, she is getting paid her regular pay when we go away and I get paid nothing. She would still get paid $2,000 to go away. So I would have to make that up before or after we went away.

In my opinion, that money would probably be better served being spent on other things. While her side would argue that she should be able to spend even more if she wanted.

I guess it depends if you believe couples have individual funds or not.

Her income is pretty much fixed with some minor variation based on overtime, small bonuses, etc. My income can vary a lot more based on how much work I have to do and if I am actually working. She is still paying her portion of our bills, so I guess one could argue that she is using "her funds."

However, as I mentioned earlier, she is getting paid her regular pay when we go away and I get paid nothing. She would still get paid $2,000 to go away. So I would have to make that up before or after we went away.

In my opinion, that money would probably be better served being spent on other things. While her side would argue that she should be able to spend even more if she wanted.
You said you have individual funds....   We've never done that

You said you have individual funds....   We've never done that
This ties in to what I was trying to describe. She calls the money she spends to go away "her money." I call it "our money." For example, I would choose to travel less and save that money for other things (retirement, save for new vehicles, home appliances, rainy day / emergency fund, etc.). To her credit, she is getting paid anyway when she is away, so the expense is the cost of the trip. In my case, I LOSE the money I would have made by going away (in addition to whatever the travel expenses are). Not really sure I can negotiate something where I agree to go away more if she agrees to pay more bills because I am not working. I can pretty much tell that isn't going to fly.

Binky The Doormat said:
In-laws are 850 miles away - about 14-16 hour drive depending on number/length of stops.  We usually break it up in a couple of days.  

Its a once a year deal these days and usually 7-10 days at a time.  I really like my MIL, not so much the FIL.  The guy is - and always has been completely insecure and self-absorbed.  Not long after we were first married and lived a couple hours away, we were visiting for Christmas.  My wife and went out with a bunch of friends, she went home early as she usually does, and I stayed out.  I get dropped off at the house about 1:30 am at the house, there are several feet of snow.  I go to the door ...it's locked.  I check everywhere for a key, the mailbox, etc. - zip.  

I tap lightly on the door, hoping to wake up my wife but not the in-laws.  Nothing.  It's blowing snow, I have no coat.  I knock more loudly until I see the FIL headed for the door ...really pissed.  He jerks open the door and immediately gets in my face yelling at me.  I'm not a fighter, but it took a lot not to drop the MFer right there in the foyer.  (he was a notorious hothead with kids that way ...I'm not his kid.  I was a 30+ year-old guest in his house)  We made it clear that we would likely be late that night since we hadn't hung with our hometown friends for quite some time.  There was no comment from the in-laws about that being a problem.  

I got the wife and up early the next morning, packed and went to a hotel for the rest of the stay.  Merry ####in' Christmas.  

There was a thread here from several years ago that tracked a few of his gems from our visit a few years ago (around 25 years after the incident).  No idea how to find it.  

What a ####.  
So your user name is ironic?

My wife's entire family lives 20 minutes from us and I spend far less time with them than 4 weeks and I like and get along with them.  

Money is an issue with most couples, and it's more of what to do WITH the money than not having money. We have always had a weird finance system in my house, as there has been child support involved so there has never been a simple accounting method. I have always pushed for a system where all money goes into a joint account and all bills should be paid from said account.

Instead, we have separate finances and are each responsible for a certain amount each month. Since we each have been paying our share of the expenses, it's what happens with the surplus that makes things tougher to deal with. In her mind, as long as the bills are getting paid, any extra money we each make should be consider our own to do with as we please. That isn't great (and usually is not abused), but makes things tough.

For example, I thought by abstaining from going on some trips she wouldn't go . . . or at a minimum the trip would cost less because I wasn't going. Instead, she would get better accommodations, eat at better restaurants, or otherwise get upgrades that would eliminate any savings from me not going. She likes to travel, and she has mentioned many times she is not going to just stay home because I don't want to go or because I have to work.

So what you said is partially true . . . she doesn't care how things impact my work and income. But she does care that the bills are getting paid, and since they are, then in her mind I can afford to take more time off.

As far as work goes, part of the issue is she works within the typical corporation vacation schedule and I don't. Things would probably be better on the vacation front if I also had a job with limited vacation time and I could point to my employer as not granting me vacation in the time frame she wanted to do something.

The bigger issue than money, as I see it, is why is she so interested or dependent on seeing her parents so much. Like others in this thread have mentioned, most people don't spend so much time with their parents and families. Every family is different so that is mostly irrelevant, but it seems like she is going a little overboard in that area.
As you've described it right here, money dooesn't have to be tight in order to have marital money problems.  I've been married for 16+ years, and we started living paycheck to paycheck, and have progressed to being "comfortable."  We've always had money problems, the conversation is just different.  But, being on different pages is a problem no matter the amount of money your disagreeing on.

You say you have joint money and separate money.  Do you have a joint account and separate accounts for each of your buckets of money?

You say you have joint money and separate money.  Do you have a joint account and separate accounts for each of your buckets of money?
There isn't exactly buckets of money. But to answer your question, she has her account and I have mine. There is no joint account. It's pretty straight forward. We took all our bills and divided up who pays what. She pays bills 1-20. I pay bills 21-40. The piles are roughly equal in terms of total cost. There are times when she has a minimal surplus (like in winter as fuel is in her category) and times when she has huge surpluses (like when she gets her annual bonus or summer when there are no fuel costs). I have times when I scrape by (slow periods for work) and times where I can live high on the hog (lots of work to do). Overall, she generally will have a bigger surplus at the end of the year than I will, however.

One thing that I didn't mention is that I have had to be more available for our kids than she has been. So I have been drawn into being dad's taxi service, or being the one that stayed home with sick kids, etc. That's another thing that held back some of my income or earnings potential.

I have suggested scheduling trips or family visits around my slow periods, but that doesn't usually coincide with her work schedule and/or other people generally are not available. She can't just ask for time off with no notice, she needs to get that approved months ahead of time.

IMO, it seems fiscally irresponsible to have me stop working during stretches when I am making boatloads of money. I would say it's just plain dumb. But if something was planned 6 months ago and already bought and paid for, there really isn't a lot of wiggle room for me to opt out.

You were both married before and you don't know how to draw lines and she doesn't know how to respect them?  Jesus.

It's never too late to learn, but seriously: Learn that stuff pronto.

You were both married before and you don't know how to draw lines and she doesn't know how to respect them?  Jesus.

It's never too late to learn, but seriously: Learn that stuff pronto.
This.  Go get some premarital counseling.  You really need it.

We just had our twentieth anniversary, and we've never had this sort of thing happen.  And we only have one bank account.

This.  Go get some premarital counseling.  You really need it.

We just had our twentieth anniversary, and we've never had this sort of thing happen.  And we only have one bank account.
Second marriages come with different issues than first marriages. Twice as many parents, twice as many families to deal with, step-kid issues, child support, etc.

I pushed for single stream finances and accounting from jump street. She and her ex-husband insisted that all her child support money be kept separate. He was afraid his money would be used on expenses for my kids, not his. Unfortunately,after almost 20 years that hasn't changed.

I agree that this is an issue, but it is straying away from the initial topic of spending time with in laws.

There isn't exactly buckets of money. But to answer your question, she has her account and I have mine. There is no joint account. It's pretty straight forward. We took all our bills and divided up who pays what. She pays bills 1-20. I pay bills 21-40. The piles are roughly equal in terms of total cost. There are times when she has a minimal surplus (like in winter as fuel is in her category) and times when she has huge surpluses (like when she gets her annual bonus or summer when there are no fuel costs). I have times when I scrape by (slow periods for work) and times where I can live high on the hog (lots of work to do). Overall, she generally will have a bigger surplus at the end of the year than I will, however.

One thing that I didn't mention is that I have had to be more available for our kids than she has been. So I have been drawn into being dad's taxi service, or being the one that stayed home with sick kids, etc. That's another thing that held back some of my income or earnings potential.

I have suggested scheduling trips or family visits around my slow periods, but that doesn't usually coincide with her work schedule and/or other people generally are not available. She can't just ask for time off with no notice, she needs to get that approved months ahead of time.

IMO, it seems fiscally irresponsible to have me stop working during stretches when I am making boatloads of money. I would say it's just plain dumb. But if something was planned 6 months ago and already bought and paid for, there really isn't a lot of wiggle room for me to opt out.
By "buckets" I meant the Your Money bucket, Her Money bucket, and Our money bucket, not as in Piles o Cash, just to clarify.

If you are each paying a relatively similar amount of bills, I'm confused on how her travel choices when you are not with her count as her spending joint money?  Maybe it is more complicated, but if that is all you are budgeting, maybe it is just not a sophisticated enough plan. :shrug:  

By "buckets" I meant the Your Money bucket, Her Money bucket, and Our money bucket, not as in Piles o Cash, just to clarify.

If you are each paying a relatively similar amount of bills, I'm confused on how her travel choices when you are not with her count as her spending joint money?  Maybe it is more complicated, but if that is all you are budgeting, maybe it is just not a sophisticated enough plan. :shrug:  
I suspect we are not alone in trying to make a better budget plan. But that is hard to do when people are not on the same page. For example, last time we reviewed the budget and there was discussion on what should be eliminated, "shoes and hand bags" were not open for debate. Neither were "trips and outings" to see her family. But CLEARLY me grabbing a sandwich for lunch could easily be eliminated (but her lunch budget shouldn't change). Maybe things work differently in other households, but in my house things that should be no brainers are anything but.

Second marriages come with different issues than first marriages. Twice as many parents, twice as many families to deal with, step-kid issues, child support, etc.

I pushed for single stream finances and accounting from jump street. She and her ex-husband insisted that all her child support money be kept separate. He was afraid his money would be used on expenses for my kids, not his. Unfortunately,after almost 20 years that hasn't changed.

I agree that this is an issue, but it is straying away from the initial topic of spending time with in laws.
I don't think a single person is siding with your wife here, and it's pretty rare that you won't get at least a couple token dissenters to the OP in threads like these. That's how ridiculous the 4-6 weeks/1K miles away thing is. 

So, as expected, we've moved on to diagnosing the rest of your relationship. 

I don't think a single person is siding with your wife here, and it's pretty rare that you won't get at least a couple token dissenters to the OP in threads like these. That's how ridiculous the 4-6 weeks/1K miles away thing is. 

So, as expected, we've moved on to diagnosing the rest of your relationship. 
Got it. If we are moving on to the swimsuit competition, I'm not going to fare any better in that area either.

When I met my wife she was very up front about how close her family is.  They're probably very similar to your wife's family in that respect.  I knew this going in. When will lived in their same  When we moved away for my job (about a 3 hr. drive away) they were very upset and we've made the effort to see them as much as before; which we have. So, to answer your questions: 

1. I see them at least 1-2x per month. Usually this is over a weekend. Most of this is driving to them. We'll usually do one total family Disney trip per year.  Generally, the visits don't bother me as I usually will golfing with my brother in law or we'll go out to a dinner I like or something.  There are times where "family time" may trump an already scheduled sport event I had planned, but that doesn't happen that often.  I will say that the current political climate plus a very offensive comment about me from my mother in law has significantly strained my relationship with my in-laws, but we still see them just as often and I suck it up (generally, I'll just exchange pleasantries with my MIL and go about ignoring her in peace the rest of the time).  Also, like you, I have essentially zero say in what we do when we are with my in-laws but, thankfully, my wife does try to be cognizant of the fact that I'm a pretty miserable person if I don't get to enjoy some semblance of sports on the weekend. 

In contrast, my family all lives a plane ride away and I'm just not as close to them.  I see them maybe 1-2/year.  I will say though that FaceTime has been awesome to bridge this gap.  I'll facetime my mom with my kids at least 4/month and that's really helped a lot.  My wife will even FaceTime with them when I'm unavailable. 

2. In your situation as you've described it, your wife is being crazy unreasonable.  And that unreasonableness doesn't lie in the amount of time she wants to see the in-laws, or even her desire to want you to want to see them, but instead with the expectation that work be missed.  While I'm totally expected to miss a big golf or softball tournament to go celebrate a second cousin's niece's friend's birthday or some ####, my wife and my in-laws completely understand it when I have to work.  That has never been questioned and, as a result, my wife and kids have gone without me if it was over a weekend that I needed to put in extra work hours.  I'd take serious issue if it ever were.  Also, I'd take issue that they were the ones to move away but you guys have to do the majority of the travel.  That's unreasonable to me.  In my situation we usually suck it up and do the driving because we were the ones to move away.  That always seemed fair to me. 

This ties in to what I was trying to describe. She calls the money she spends to go away "her money." I call it "our money." For example, I would choose to travel less and save that money for other things (retirement, save for new vehicles, home appliances, rainy day / emergency fund, etc.). To her credit, she is getting paid anyway when she is away, so the expense is the cost of the trip. In my case, I LOSE the money I would have made by going away (in addition to whatever the travel expenses are). Not really sure I can negotiate something where I agree to go away more if she agrees to pay more bills because I am not working. I can pretty much tell that isn't going to fly.
Eesh. 

- divorce attorney

None.  They live in Milwaukee and I live far enough away.  They are very kind and generous folks to a fault.  Even when I go to Milwaukee, I stay at a hotel and let Mrs. O hang out with them and I do my own thing.  She’s headed to Milwaukee this Wednesday to see them.  I’m heading to Vegas on Friday.  Who’s got the better trip?  :pickle:
A small part of me is jealous at this, but I have a hard time believing your wife is okay with this.  It's just not hard to smile and placate for a couple of days to make my wife happy. 

This is also what premarital counseling is for.  Learning to negotiate this stuff is important.  This should have been sorted ages ago.  Leaving it to fester is just not good.

This is also what premarital counseling is for.  Learning to negotiate this stuff is important.  This should have been sorted ages ago.  Leaving it to fester is just not good.
Preaching to the choir. I have asked for this several times over the years but some of us don't believe in counseling / therapy.

A small part of me is jealous at this, but I have a hard time believing your wife is okay with this.  It's just not hard to smile and placate for a couple of days to make my wife happy. 
I would be.  Mr R and I are not joined at the hip.  If one of us wants to do some random thing that the other doesn't, that's okay.

I suspect we are not alone in trying to make a better budget plan. But that is hard to do when people are not on the same page. For example, last time we reviewed the budget and there was discussion on what should be eliminated, "shoes and hand bags" were not open for debate. Neither were "trips and outings" to see her family. But CLEARLY me grabbing a sandwich for lunch could easily be eliminated (but her lunch budget shouldn't change). Maybe things work differently in other households, but in my house things that should be no brainers are anything but.
Don't get me wrong, I totally get that.  My wife and I aren't on the same page, but fortunately she knows she's not good with money, so all of our income goes into my account, and I give her an equal amount of spending money as I get on a weekly basis.  We can do whatever with that money.  It is a blessing and a curse that she is not good with money.  Its good that she knows it and lets me drive that ship for the most part.  But it has taken a long time to get there, and obviously most couples aren't going to have one person willing to totally conceed that control.

She wishes things were different as do I, but they are old and I’ve never really had much to say to them.  Maybe it’s different for me since my parents were both out of the picture by the time I was 17. I just fixed tech stuff when I was at their house only to find out they blew it up after I left.  Just felt disrespected enough and their solution to everything is to throw money at it or ignore it all together.

15 minutes away, and I spend about 4 hours a year with them.  Once or twice a year they have to drop off something at our house, but they don't come in because the whole house would have to be cleaned.   

6 weeks is very unreasonable.  I'd visit for 2 weeks, and send the wife to visit by herself the other 4, especially with you being self-employed.  

I would be.  Mr R and I are not joined at the hip.  If one of us wants to do some random thing that the other doesn't, that's okay.
Being joined at the hip is one thing - to fly in to the town where your inlaws live and stay in a hotel and do other stuff while your spouse visits is just weird.  Osaurus has since given his explanation and I won’t question him - he said he felt disrespected so I get that part but he also referred to them as generous to a fault.  It’s his wife’s parent - I think you have to spend some time with them.  

Just tell her you can’t afford it, which sounds like it might actually be true.

You mind answering what she does or where she works? How can her job be so stressful with all that time off? Four day work week, tons of vacation and flexibility, sounds pretty nice. Does she work ten or twelve hour days or something?

My in-laws live less than 10 minutes from us.  We spend at least one night a month at their home for “game” night....mostly to hang out with her ailing father 

I see my MIL much more often, as she springs for 10-15 Sporting events/concert a year. 

Shes pretty cool 

Once a year tops and that’s only if it’s part of a planned family trip. 

Side note: I NEVER stay with in-laws, always a hotel.  I need to have an out and don’t want to be on their sleep schedule or weird house rules.  

Preaching to the choir. I have asked for this several times over the years but some of us don't believe in counseling / therapy.
This is the primary reason i am not still married.  My ex-wife refused this as well.  She has been trying to get back with me for years.  IMO she blew her chance and i moved on.  If you believe you need it, stand up for yourself. 

Side note: I NEVER stay with in-laws, always a hotel.  I need to have an out and don’t want to be on their sleep schedule or weird house rules.  
Yeah you're going to have to update a particular thread... 

Just tell her you can’t afford it, which sounds like it might actually be true.

You mind answering what she does or where she works? How can her job be so stressful with all that time off? Four day work week, tons of vacation and flexibility, sounds pretty nice. Does she work ten or twelve hour days or something?
She works in case management for a FORTUNE 100 healthcare / managed care company. She works two 8 hour days and two 12 hour days a week. Here is one example of how things are stressful.

She handles extremely complicated cases. Cancer patients, transplants, premature deliveries with major issues, etc. Right now, she has a case involving an 8 year old boy who has some rare condition that essentially caused him to get a serious infection in his heart. He could not be treated in network, so she had to get him transferred to a specialty hospital out of state. Since that is a special situation, she had to negotiate a single use agreement with the hospital (with inflated rates since they are not part of the health plan).

The hospital had trouble treating him and had to remove part of his heart or he would have died. But he can't live without a heart, so he needs a heart transplant. He has a rare blood type so finding a match has been very difficult. And it's not like people can donate a heart, a kid needs to die and be listed as a donor.

The next issue is that you have to be a good candidate to receive a heart if one becomes available. Eventually the kid got well enough to be near the top of the list should a heart become available. In the meantime, he has been on a machine to keep him alive until he gets a new heart.

A few weeks went by and the kid had a relapse. The doctors were able to stabilize him, but his condition left him no longer able to meet the criteria to be on the heart donor list. Of course with him no longer on the list, a potential match became available and he wasn't on the list to receive it. After that she filed for exemptions and exceptions to get the kid back on the list, which she was able to do. Then he had another relapse but no heart is currently available for him.

The treatment team is running out of options and they are going to have to tell the family that their son isn't going to make it. At this point, the doctors don't even feel he would survive even if he got a new heart and they feel someone else would be better served than he would be. They are giving it another 24-48 hours and then are going to have to tell the family they did everything they could and let the boy die.

That's the clinical / treatment side of the case. Now we can go to the the internal operations side. Each case gets Finance involved to allocate financial resources and determine cost expectations. From the beginning, Finance started asking her to submit cost projections for the boy and requested an accurate number of days he would need to be in the hospital. She said tell her when he could get a heart because that would determine what would happen cost wise. They didn't get it, so she said if they don't get a heart he could be dead in a week or he could find one and be in the hospital for 6 months. They didn't like that either. Every day they call and harass her and every day they have the same conversation.

As the case dragged on, the cost eclipsed $1 million, so Finance and Auditing came to town and made her go through a line item cost audit of the case. She needed to justify why they were spending so much money and when were the bills going to stop piling up. She again explained that healthcare involves care to keep patients alive and it ain't cheap. She also had to justify the single case agreement and the cost structure the hospital was charging. They didn't like the rate they were paying, but it's not really something that she had any control of.

So at this point it's a lose - lose all around. The kid is unlikely to survive, the family is grief stricken, her company is making her life miserable over the situation, and the costs keep mounting and they are complaining that too many cases like this one and no one will be getting any bonuses  And that's ONE case of many. So yeah, I can see how she finds that stressful.

Being joined at the hip is one thing - to fly in to the town where your inlaws live and stay in a hotel and do other stuff while your spouse visits is just weird.  Osaurus has since given his explanation and I won’t question him - he said he felt disrespected so I get that part but he also referred to them as generous to a fault.  It’s his wife’s parent - I think you have to spend some time with them.  
Right.  Not trying to criticize Osaurus here, but about 6 months ago my wife did something very disrespectful towards me that I probably won't "get over" for a long time.  However, I still wouldn't think about staying somewhere else.  I still see her as much.  I'm still pleasant (although I don't start conversations with her and ignore her whenever I can). She's still a great grandmother to my kids and she's still family. Staying somewhere else just seems weird. 

Right.  Not trying to criticize Osaurus here, but about 6 months ago my wife did something very disrespectful towards me that I probably won't "get over" for a long time.  However, I still wouldn't think about staying somewhere else.  I still see her as much.  I'm still pleasant (although I don't start conversations with her and ignore her whenever I can). She's still a great grandmother to my kids and she's still family. Staying somewhere else just seems weird. 
It’s actually pretty awesome.  I get to see my friends, go to the “scary places” they won’t ever go to, and not sit around all day and wait to drive a freakin hour one way to some mediocre old person restaurant.  It’s mostly the boredom that does me in (among other things).

I stated they’re generous to a fault.   What I mean by that is they don’t know when to stop.  They are too generous and often overstep their boundaries.  We do not ask them for anything.  They don’t accept responsibility nor comprehend what they’re doing is ever wrong even though it has been explained to them ad nauseam.  As a result, I do not accept anything from them.   We can take care of ourselves just fine.

It’s actually pretty awesome.  I get to see my friends, go to the “scary places” they won’t ever go to, and not sit around all day and wait to drive a freakin hour one way to some mediocre old person restaurant.  It’s mostly the boredom that does me in (among other things).

I stated they’re generous to a fault.   What I mean by that is they don’t know when to stop.  They are too generous and often overstep their boundaries.  We do not ask them for anything.  They don’t accept responsibility nor comprehend what they’re doing is ever wrong even though it has been explained to them ad nauseam.  As a result, I do not accept anything from them.   We can take care of ourselves just fine.
I hear you.  Like I said previously a part of me is jealous.  Please don't take offense to anything I've said as I'm not trying to offend you.  You've just made a choice I've genuinely never even contemplated as an option for my situation. 

I hear you.  Like I said previously a part of me is jealous.  Please don't take offense to anything I've said as I'm not trying to offend you.  You've just made a choice I've genuinely never even contemplated as an option for my situation. 
No offense taken and don’t be jealous.  I put up with it for a long time and finally lost my cool after a trip I would describe as awful for all of us.  I do remain remorseful for that and have told them so.  I realized that I simply don’t want to put up with their bad behavior, narrow minded views of others, and a general lack of empathy for most who don’t see things the way they do.  

Mrs. O knows how miserable I am when I have to endure long periods of time with her family.  It made her unhappy to see how unhappy I was.  Not being in the equation when she spends time with them is better for her.  I am no longer a distraction.  I encourage her all the time to spend as much time with her family as she can.  Family is important.  I have never really felt like they are my family and probably never will.

Last edited by a moderator:

I can't stay with my in-laws.  She loves wind chimes.  I can hear them EVERYWHERE.  Drives me nuts.  And the music-playing and chiming clocks.  We have plans for that clock to become warm, close, personal friends with a shotgun eventually.

Users who are viewing this thread