What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How much do you pay in property tax for your home? (4 Viewers)

How much do you pay in property tax?

• $100-$999

Votes: 15 5.3%
  • $1000-$1999

Votes: 17 6.0%
  • $2000-$3999

Votes: 74 26.1%
  • $4000-$5999

Votes: 62 21.9%
  • $6000-$7999

Votes: 37 13.1%
  • $8000-$9999

Votes: 20 7.1%
  • $10,000-$11,999

Votes: 15 5.3%
  • $12,000-$14,999

Votes: 14 4.9%
  • $15K+

Votes: 21 7.4%
  • I do not own a house

Votes: 8 2.8%

• Total voters
3200 sq feet 5 bedroom 4 full baths crappy lot but in a good neighborhood (all cops and military pretty much) but I have a crappy lot layout

$950.00 south of Colorado Springs

cap said:
2,750 Sq ft 2 story 4 bedroom 3 bath 8190 Sq ft yard with swimming pool in Chandler AZ

Just north of $2,500.

Some pretty ridiculous numbers posted above. House was built in 2002. Decent neighborhood with HOA about $650 a year.
Are you a native?

The wife and I have seriously been considering a move to the Phoenix area from Chicago burbs. Cost of living is one of the primary motivators. We could buy twice the house and pay 1/4 the property tax.... and I think things are only going to get worse for Illinois.
Main reason we left Lake County IL. We wanted a larger home but the prop taxes in our area for anything over 2,500 ft2 started at 8-9k.

$8,300 for a 3000 square foot house on an acre of land in S.E. NH. We have great schools, full time fire and police departments, library, nice parks and kids sports programs, trash pick up, plowing, etc. We don't have an income or sales tax, and our spirits are dirt cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
AcerFC said:
Getzlaf15 said:
Almost $49000
holy smokes. One property or more
more.Should be $50,500, but the Treasurer ####ed up one of them and only charged me $198.
Was hoping you'd say one property, so I wouldn't feel like the biggest sucker here.

I'm around 31-32k for just one home. 4500sqft on 100x150 lot in the Long Island burbs. Keep telling myself life will be grand when I eventually pay off the mortgage, but of course it's still going to cost me well over 2 grand a month just to keep living in the house I own outright. Oof.
Isn't a good bit of the cost for the good schools? I'd think when you retire and no longer need top notch schools, you'd move.
Definitely a big part of it. We have some of the top public schools around. And yeah, I can't see paying these taxes after the kids are out of school unless we are just filthy rich.

Otis almost pays per month what I pay per year. WoW Otis must have a ####### sweet home.
It's a nice house, but nothing over the top, and not as nice as you'd think given all the costs. Insanely high COL where I am. On the same spend I probably get an 8,000 sqft mansion in some Nevada suburb.

mr roboto said:
djmich said:
mr roboto said:
Ok. Not all the south clearly. But you don't get things for free is all I'm saying.
I agree with that, you don't get things for free, its just that in metro Tri-State area you are simply paying too much for bloated government salaries and pensions. I'd assume thats what is driving high taxes in Chicago area also.
Yep. Although Lake County Illinois (county north of Cook - not same county as Chicago city) has much higher prop taxes. I know the city/Cook county are going up but in general, Lake County is high prop taxes, Cook high sales tax.
Yup- when we were looking to buy I compared county's and in the surrounding Chicago area, Cook was actually slightly lower than the other counties.

$13,000 in Chicago burbs. Probably just goes to a teacher or cop's pension.
I'm at $12,000 in the near-west burbs (Oak Park).

We visited friends in Houston suburbs over new year's ...they have a huge house, lots of extras, backyard pool, built in the 90s. Super nice. After we got home, my wife informed me the house is worth the same as our normalish, 50's brick colonial. : :kicksrock:

I pay a ridiculous $450.00 on a 3200 Square foot, $240,000 home.

Louisiana has a huge exemption on property taxes. We make up for it with very high sales taxes (9.75%).
Do whaaaa???2500sqft

4K here
Property taxes are set by Parish. You in Orleans?
Ascension
Then you either have a $500,000.00 home, or you've forgotten to file for your homestead exemption.

What is this homestead exemption I keep seeing?
It's a property tax exemption on the first $X of assessed value of your home, depending on your local rules, for it being your residence, and not just a house you own. Some places have it, some don't.

Louisiana, the first $75,000.00 of value of your home isn't taxed. If you have a $75,000.00-value home, you pay no property taxes other than assessments.

It's a property tax exemption on the first $X of assessed value of your home, depending on your local rules, for it being your residence, and not just a house you own. Some places have it, some don't. Louisiana, the first $75,000.00 of value of your home isn't taxed. If you have a $75,000.00-value home, you pay no property taxes other than assessments.
Thanks. Just looked it up and Mass. does not have the tax exemption but does have other protection with a homestead.

About $6500 on under 2400 sq/ft on a massive .18 acre lot. It's high, double what I paid outside the county. But then again we have no state tax, so I suppose it's a wash.

$13,000 in Chicago burbs. Probably just goes to a teacher or cop's pension.
I'm at $12,000 in the near-west burbs (Oak Park).

We visited friends in Houston suburbs over new year's ...they have a huge house, lots of extras, backyard pool, built in the 90s. Super nice. After we got home, my wife informed me the house is worth the same as our normalish, 50's brick colonial. : :kicksrock:
well I don't mind paying a little extra to not be surrounded by Texans

Henry Ford said:
ffjunk said:
It's a property tax exemption on the first $X of assessed value of your home, depending on your local rules, for it being your residence, and not just a house you own. Some places have it, some don't. Louisiana, the first $75,000.00 of value of your home isn't taxed. If you have a $75,000.00-value home, you pay no property taxes other than assessments.
http://www.ascensionassessor.com/TaxEstimator

http://nj1015.com/the-10-towns-with-the-highest-and-lowest-taxes-in-all-of-nj/

Welcome to NJ. I know the California people will not be impressed, but these numbers are with Christie having put a 2% cap on increases in taxes 6 years ago.

Top-10 Highest Average Property Taxes, By Municipality:

• Tavistock Borough (Camden County): $30,722
  • Millburn Township (Essex County): $22,734
  • Loch Arbour Village (Monmouth County): $21,662
  • Alpine Borough (Bergen County): $20,887
  • Mountain Lakes Borough (Morris County): $19,336
  • Tenafly Borough (Bergen County): $19,253
  • Rumson Borough (Monmouth County): $18,959
  • Essex Fells Township (Essex County): $18,718
  • Glen Ridge Borough (Essex County): $18,569
  • Mendham Township (Morris County): $18,434

Has anyone filed a property tax appeal before? Our house that was just built was assessed more than it should have been it seems. Both through comps to 2 other homes on our street as well as the actual cost to build, I stand to lower my annual taxes significantly but have never done so. There's instructions online but I'm not sure how successful owners typically are in these types of things and/or should I actually hire someone to help to make sure I can get somewhere with it.

Thoughts?

A Canadian perspective:

Vancouver suburb, 950sf condo, $2000, but $1400 after the grant for living in it. Seniors get another grant.

Has anyone filed a property tax appeal before? Our house that was just built was assessed more than it should have been it seems. Both through comps to 2 other homes on our street as well as the actual cost to build, I stand to lower my annual taxes significantly but have never done so. There's instructions online but I'm not sure how successful owners typically are in these types of things and/or should I actually hire someone to help to make sure I can get somewhere with it.

Thoughts?
I haven't filed one, but as an appraiser (gov't employee) for multiple Bay Area counties, I have been on the other side.

Thoughts?
I haven't filed one, but as an appraiser (gov't employee) for multiple Bay Area counties, I have been on the other side.
:rant:

Thoughts?
Yes. Got the county gubmint re-appraised value lowered based on sales comps in the neighborhood. It was a raw deal money grab with no real basis other than wanting more money and figuring most people wouldn't take the trouble. My wife is a RE agent/broker and it was easy for her to fill out the forms and get the comps.

Appraiser was your typical lazy local gubmint loser.

Thoughts?
Yes. Got the county gubmint re-appraised value lowered based on sales comps in the neighborhood. It was a raw deal money grab with no real basis other than wanting more money and figuring most people wouldn't take the trouble. My wife is a RE agent/broker and it was easy for her to fill out the forms and get the comps.

Maybe you or your wife might know, but would I be better off using comps or showing what we paid to our builder? I know the comps will be lower than the current appraised value but not sure if it'll be as low as the building cost. I just don't know which carries more weight. Did you have to show up to the hearing and give the information or did you just turn it in and then waited to hear back?

A Canadian perspective:

Vancouver suburb, 950sf condo, $2000, but $1400 after the grant for living in it. Seniors get another grant.
The lovely praries, $4500 and probably going up another grand or two when I move :kicksrock:

$8100 in Marin. 2100 sf, 5/3 home. 2-car gar + detached 1-car gar. 7000 sf lot.
Where in Marin?

I'm in Mill Valley.
Novato. We bought at a low point, late Dec '12/early Jan '13.

I think many southern Marin-ites would say I'm in south Petaluma.
Oh. You're practically in Eureka. Got it.

;)

We bought at what was considered a high point in 2004 (but sold our previous 2BR cottage in Mill Valley at that same high point as well, so it worked out well in terms of down payment). After the meteoric rise following 2004, through the bubble burst, and most recent rise again, our house has almost tripled in value (on paper! Which is worth as much as paper). Our remodel last year, that added a master suite during this high point, certainly seemed to give the county extra reason to ding us for a nice property tax increase this year. And I don't really mean "nice".

Thoughts?

Maybe you or your wife might know, but would I be better off using comps or showing what we paid to our builder? I know the comps will be lower than the current appraised value but not sure if it'll be as low as the building cost. I just don't know which carries more weight. Did you have to show up to the hearing and give the information or did you just turn it in and then waited to hear back?
What are you appealing? The supplemental bill for when your county deemed the house completed, or the assessed value as of Jan 1 (or whatever the lien date is in your county/state)? Most likely, you can get it resolved prior to the hearing. The hearing is only necessary if both sides can't agree.

Thoughts?
In Chicago, there are lots of attorney / companies that do this for you with no $ out of pocket. They take 50% of whatever they save in the first year and then you get the full savings the next 2 years until properties are re-assessed. I go this route just cause it's so easy and no risk on my part, plus I don't really know how to appeal it either.

Thoughts?

What are you appealing? The supplemental bill for when your county deemed the house completed, or the assessed value as of Jan 1 (or whatever the lien date is in your county/state)? Most likely, you can get it resolved prior to the hearing. The hearing is only necessary if both sides can't agree.
Both. The new assessed value is based on the whole year for 2016. But, since we moved in September, they prorate that amount starting the month afterward so they take that yearly amount and divide it by 4 (for the last 3 months of 2015). That's the amount I owe now. Since the new assessment value is high, it goes for both the 3 month prorated amount I owe now as well as what I will owe at the end of 2016.

Thoughts?
In Chicago, there are lots of attorney / companies that do this for you with no $ out of pocket. They take 50% of whatever they save in the first year and then you get the full savings the next 2 years until properties are re-assessed. I go this route just cause it's so easy and no risk on my part, plus I don't really know how to appeal it either.
Yes, I found somebody that does just that. However, since I might be able to save upwards of $2k on my taxes, I'd rather do it on my own if I can likely be successful doing so.

Thoughts?

I don't know and I asked her and she doesn't know for sure ...but would think that the county doesn't care what you spent - it has everything to do with the market value formula they have come up with. So showing how true sales compare to their calculations and where that puts your home was the way to go for us. As an example, the country had swimming pools as a sizable addition in value - when in reality, in our area, a pool adds no value at best.

Users who are viewing this thread