What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How to Buy a New Car- I might save you money (2 Viewers)

Ok, so someone in the Honda Pilot thread suggested I start a new thread about this. That thread is here

I use a site called Fighting Chance (fightingchance.com)

Here is the basic premise (stolen from other thread)

So I hope people can use this. The one thing I have learned is that you never, never, never want to give them a price. In order to get the best deal, have them compete. Maybe I could have gotten a better deal if I would have chose a different time to purchase, but you cant have remorse like that. I wound up getting the vehicle under invoice and that is all I wanted from the start
What do you do if you are unsure of what make/model that you want to buy? You need to go around and do some test drives. My father is going to buy a car, and he has a hard time getting past the 'pushiness' of the sales guys. When he bought his last car, it was used and they used the 'this is the last one we have, you better buy it now' approach, and he bought it without looking around much. This time he is going new, so he should be able to walk away easier and do the rest remotely.
Yes, test driving would be your best bet. They actually talk about how to deal with the test drive in the material they send over.
I guess my question is how do you do the test driving and get out of the dealership? I was talking to him yesterday, and we were saying to bring the car they weren't trading in, and to make up an appointment that he had to leave for so he could get out of there.

Ok, so someone in the Honda Pilot thread suggested I start a new thread about this. That thread is here

So I hope people can use this. The one thing I have learned is that you never, never, never want to give them a price. In order to get the best deal, have them compete. Maybe I could have gotten a better deal if I would have chose a different time to purchase, but you cant have remorse like that. I wound up getting the vehicle under invoice and that is all I wanted from the start
What do you do if you are unsure of what make/model that you want to buy? You need to go around and do some test drives. My father is going to buy a car, and he has a hard time getting past the 'pushiness' of the sales guys. When he bought his last car, it was used and they used the 'this is the last one we have, you better buy it now' approach, and he bought it without looking around much. This time he is going new, so he should be able to walk away easier and do the rest remotely.
Yes, test driving would be your best bet. They actually talk about how to deal with the test drive in the material they send over.
I guess my question is how do you do the test driving and get out of the dealership? I was talking to him yesterday, and we were saying to bring the car they weren't trading in, and to make up an appointment that he had to leave for so he could get out of there.
You just tell them you are test driving a bunch of different makes and models to see which one you want to buy. They shouldn't give you grief about that. No need to make up excuses to get out of there.

I think that's just an irrational fear people have for some reason. My wife was already getting anxious about that when we went to test drive a car. I reminded her that we weren't walking into a prison. I don't know why anyone wouldn't be telling the salesman that they're still deciding between a few different makes in the first place, and if you're test driving a car on the day you NEED a car you're doing everything wrong anyway.

Anyway, we finished our test drive, thanked the guy for his time and walked out the door as he thanked us for coming in and said to call him when we were ready to make a decision.

Agree with catch and rus

Be upfront and say you will not be buying, you only want to test drive. Have a notebook to jot stuff down. Do not let them do a credit check. There is zero reason for them to have to. if they say they do, tell them thanks and leave. Test drive at a different dealer

You just tell them you are test driving a bunch of different makes and models to see which one you want to buy. They shouldn't give you grief about that. No need to make up excuses to get out of there.
:goodposting: This is how I bought my last used car. I asked for sales or managers in charge of internet sales. Their cards are what I then used to send my e-mail blast. I was also able to take a dealership off the list because of my experience with the test drive.

The nice thing about used is that you're not locked into a particular make of dealer. After test drives, the wife and I decided that we wanted a Toyota Sienna. The Nissan guy ended up finding the car for us.

Also, although you can't get invoice information, you can get sold comps and consistant reasonable asking prices easily enough from eBay, autotrader, and the like.

Last edited by a moderator:
I messed up in my initial email blast and noticed quickly that all the dealers were sending me the same two or three cars. That is not what you want so I changed my options real quick.
Not sure I'm following this part.
one of the things the packet tells you is to be as general as possible. This will return the most cars offered and gets you a bettter price. My initial email asked for a specific package with a DVD entertainment system. Since most did not have any in stock, they all came back with the same two cars. Very little wiggle room in that situation. So I removed the DVD player and then started dealing with cars they had on lot

Great info. Word of caution to everyone:

Don't go through all this work and then get screwed in the financing office when you are done. Make sure you do your due diligence there as well.

This is for the 1% of fbgs that don't pay cash of course.

How about if you are ordering a vehicle because you want something fairly specific?

Do you lose most of your negotiating power if you aren't buying something that's in stock?

Should you time the emails for a certain time of the month or year?
Last couple of days on any month are usually better for pricing. Have a couple of friends who run dealerships and they are looking to hit their bonus numbers at the end of the month. Sometimes the last day of the month they will go below cost because the bonus more than makes up the loss.

A few years ago I leased a loaded Grand Cherokee with a sticker of 38K for 210.00 a month with zero down. The guy I knew needed to sell 3 cars on the last day for the dealer to get a 25K bonus. So he was more than willing to take a loss to move a vehicle.

Should you time the emails for a certain time of the month or year?
Last couple of days on any month are usually better for pricing. Have a couple of friends who run dealerships and they are looking to hit their bonus numbers at the end of the month. Sometimes the last day of the month they will go below cost because the bonus more than makes up the loss.

A few years ago I leased a loaded Grand Cherokee with a sticker of 38K for 210.00 a month with zero down. The guy I knew needed to sell 3 cars on the last day for the dealer to get a 25K bonus. So he was more than willing to take a loss to move a vehicle.
they suggest sending the email on the last Wednesday of the monthEta: as long as there are still a few days left in the month

How about if you are ordering a vehicle because you want something fairly specific?

Do you lose most of your negotiating power if you aren't buying something that's in stock?
yes
do you lose ALL of your negotiating power if you are ordering something?

Should I just expect to pay sticker at that point?
I don't think you would lose any negotiating room. A sold retail order is a bonus for the dealer and the dealer doesn't have to do any work. Only issue is if you are on a vehicle with limited availability, but then you won't have much room on a stock unit either.

yes
do you lose ALL of your negotiating power if you are ordering something?

Should I just expect to pay sticker at that point?
I don't think you would lose any negotiating room. A sold retail order is a bonus for the dealer and the dealer doesn't have to do any work. Only issue is if you are on a vehicle with limited availability, but then you won't have much room on a stock unit either.
the main issue is that dealers are competing on a price for that single car. While it could work, it's less of a lock than if it were a less specific order. That is how I read it in the package

I told my buddy about this when he was starting to shop for a new car. Knew he wanted a 2015 Honda CRV. He went to the site, and called/emailed 4 dealers near by. After a few back and forths he was getting ready to buy a Honda CRV EX for 26k and some change, including tax/title/etc. He called back all the dealers on his way to pick it up and another dealer countered with the CRV EX-L (leather seats and sound system upgrade) for the same price.

So after only 2 days of emailing and having the various dealers bid against each other, he got a 2015 Honda CRV EX-L for a little over 26k total, with tax/title.

Not too shabby, and he only spent about 2 days because he got impatient and wanted it asap, since he had just totaled his car and they were down to 1 car for awhile.

Definitely the way to go.

In the process of buying a used SUV right now. It's a 2nd vehicle so I'm not in a hurry to settle on something I don't want. I'm going around town test driving different models.

Blows my mind how some salesmen CANNOT deviate from the must-sell-you-a-car-now script. Last night I encountered a really hopped-up pushy sales manager who had a one track mind in this respect. None of the vehicles were a perfect match on features and price but he absolutely had to: 1) identify the 1 vehicle I said was the closest to what I wanted and then 2) get me to sign papers on it immediately. Every time I told him that we weren't going to meet on a deal, he took it as a negotiating tactic. No matter how many times I told him - you guys have lots of these types of cars, let me know when you get one in that matches what I want - he'd respond with "this is as low as I can go on this car! I'm giving you everything I've got and you're giving me nothing!"

If he just listened to me and tried to locate a vehicle closer to what I wanted, he may have sold me something. But he had no patience for that even though they had maybe 6 vehicles I could potentially want. I walked out after we couldn't reach a deal on that 1 vehicle because that's all he wanted to do.

I called the fighting chance guy and he said order the packet in a week or so.

He then proceeded to talk my ear off and offer some good advice.

I was hoping he would tip me off as to how I handle a trade in vehicle but he never mentioned it. I am going to pay the $40 because I think he deserves it, and I am sure he addresses it in there. I just like to plan.

I called the fighting chance guy and he said order the packet in a week or so.

He then proceeded to talk my ear off and offer some good advice.

I was hoping he would tip me off as to how I handle a trade in vehicle but he never mentioned it. I am going to pay the $40 because I think he deserves it, and I am sure he addresses it in there. I just like to plan.
dealing with a trade in is covered. From what I remember, you don't mention anything about it. Agree on a price and then when you go to sign papers, you can discuss any trade ins

OK...that fighting chance site is a mess to read.

Can someone boild down what you are getting and how much it costs in a few sentences? I'm sure its a great program, but dayum there is wayyyy too much content on that site.

Anyone ever hear of a lease broker?

I was looking at the lease price on a Lexus IS 250C and came across this company based in Florida named Nationwide Auto Lease that had a price WAY lower than anyone elses. They will ship you the car. A brief search around the web and it looks okay at first blush. Only 5* ratings on Yelp gives me some pause (I don't exactly trust Yelp and sometimes things are too good to be true).

Anyways, this company is a lease broker. I've never heard of that before yesterday. Is that a thing and I'm just uneducated about it? Or is this just a website with a PO Box in Florida owned by a Nigerian prince? TIA.

Why does it matter if you know the invoice price? Provided you contact enough dealerships, if they're all bidding against each other, they'll be near or below that price.

How does this work if you have a trade in?

How does doing this compare to getting a manufacturers "plan" on a vehicle (Ford A Plan, for example)?

I was looking at the lease price on a Lexus IS 250C and came across this company based in Florida named Nationwide Auto Lease that had a price WAY lower than anyone elses. They will ship you the car. A brief search around the web and it looks okay at first blush. Only 5* ratings on Yelp gives me some pause (I don't exactly trust Yelp and sometimes things are too good to be true).

Anyways, this company is a lease broker. I've never heard of that before yesterday. Is that a thing and I'm just uneducated about it? Or is this just a website with a PO Box in Florida owned by a Nigerian prince? TIA.
I think they are real. I recently leased a car and during my research these popped up. Supposedly they don't have all the overhead of a car dealership so they can offer lower prices. I didn't use one though so I don't have personal experience.

OK...that fighting chance site is a mess to read.

Can someone boild down what you are getting and how much it costs in a few sentences? I'm sure its a great program, but dayum there is wayyyy too much content on that site.
did you read the first post. I thought I pretty much answered this. But its 40 bucks for how to get the lowest price on a vehicle.

what's the theory about being general about the car you're looking for? i'd think that if you just said you wanted a certain model without being specific about the package you want, you'd get a bunch of quotes for all different configurations which would make comparing quotes difficult especially if you know you don't want a certain configuration like more of the high end one's.

I think they are real. I recently leased a car and during my research these popped up. Supposedly they don't have all the overhead of a car dealership so they can offer lower prices. I didn't use one though so I don't have personal experience.
Anyone have any real world experience with these guys or something similar?

NutterButter said:
what's the theory about being general about the car you're looking for? i'd think that if you just said you wanted a certain model without being specific about the package you want, you'd get a bunch of quotes for all different configurations which would make comparing quotes difficult especially if you know you don't want a certain configuration like more of the high end one's.
you want to be as specific as possible to compare apples to apples

NutterButter said:
i thought you said you messed up your first email by being too specific and that the package tells you to be as general as possible? :confused:

NutterButter said:
i thought you said you messed up your first email by being too specific and that the package tells you to be as general as possible? :confused:
I read the package wrong and asked for a vehicle that was basically built for someone and they didn't but it. You want to be specific as to model of the car and what you want in it. My issue was user driven, not something that was wrong with fighting chance

Good bump. I just did this last week and took possession of my new car yesterday.

I knew exactly what make/model/trim I wanted (Subaru Forester 2.0XT Touring). Didn't care about the model year. Basically I looked up the inventory of every Subaru dealer about a 4 hour radius to see if they had one in stock, and if they did I emailed them asking for a price quote and trade-in estimate. Most never replied, but those who did came in with very reasonable offers right off the bat. One dealer came back with an offer about $650 under invoice on a 2016 model according to KBB and was also at the top end of what I expected for my trade-in, so it ended up being a no-brainer. The whole process with quick and very easy. The gist of the whole transaction was done electronically. All I had to do was drive down the dealership, do the paperwork, swap vehicles, and drive back home.

A couple of dealers just got back to me yesterday and this morning -- too late for them, and no worries for me since I got a really good deal anyway. If I were doing this again, I would allow a little more time for dealers to respond. I'm not sure why some dealers were slow-pokes, but it turned out that a few were.

I used that site to buy two new cars in the last 18 months. Paid thousands under invoice both times. Everyone should use it.

My folks did this with a Lexus LS430.... ended up buying from Atlanta (they live in Memphis) and had the car shipped up for a price that was thousands less than what the local dealer could touch. He was quite an ### about the whole process, saying there was no way they'd get the car for that price, talking trash about the other dealiership..etc.
My experience has been that the local dealers do poorly with this. They are set in their idea that they're the "hometown dealer" and treat you like some rube who walked in the door. When we got the 1st round of quotes for the MDX, they were the highest bidder by a couple thousand. When we gave them a chance to beat the price, they treated it like it was a negotiation and tried to meet us in the middle. We laughed and bought the car for much less elsewhere.

Treat car dealers like you would a grocery store. If one doesn't have what you want, another will. Simple as that. My experience has been that the sales guys aren't too pushy. You walk in, say you want to test drive X. When they do the "what will it take for you to buy this car right now" spiel, tell them you aren't done trying out your options. Get their info and walk. It's not that hard.

As mentioned before, I've done this for my last 3 cars.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to try this buying 2 cars at the same time from the same dealership during the last week of the year. Should be even greater savings. :excited: :popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread