What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How To Get To Heaven When You Die (1 Viewer)

He literally posts this on dozens if not 100's of forums. Doesn't make for good conversation.
Yea I guess that's true. But I don't know a lot of real Christians just a bunch of the Sunday morning types. So my questions were something I was interested in. Especially the one about the gay folks. I mean how could a child molester go to heaven ? But two loving God fearing people who had led extremely good lives not just because they are gay.

Also a little interested in the hypocritical aspect of someone who is really sick suddenly getting religion.
Huh

He literally posts this on dozens if not 100's of forums. Doesn't make for good conversation.
Yea I guess that's true. But I don't know a lot of real Christians just a bunch of the Sunday morning types. So my questions were something I was interested in. Especially the one about the gay folks. I mean how could a child molester go to heaven ? But two loving God fearing people who had led extremely good lives not just because they are gay.

Also a little interested in the hypocritical aspect of someone who is really sick suddenly getting religion.
The bible is very ambiguous about this. In one passage it says 'man will not lie with man', but it another passage Jesus says to Lucifer 'get thee behind me'.

So who knows?
Why do you speak blasphemy against the Lord Jesus Christ? You need to repent of this evil and turn to Jesus for Salvation, believe that He died and rose again for your sins.

The bible is very ambiguous about this. In one passage it says 'man will not lie with man', but it another passage Jesus says to Lucifer 'get thee behind me'.

So who knows?
Why do you speak blasphemy against the Lord Jesus Christ? You need to repent of this evil and turn to Jesus for Salvation, believe that He died and rose again for your sins.

There's a lot more to life than making sure you have adequate fire insurance.

I'm not trying to be mean here. I'm a believer. It's not a once a week duty thing for me; Jesus permeates every aspect of my life from the moment I wake up (usually too early), influences how I live my life, and changes me - changed me, is changing me - irrevocably. A faith that doesn't change you doesn't save you.

But let's be real clear here: you are way out of line telling people they need to repent.

I need a savior. You need Jesus. We all do. Yes and amen that true repentance means turning away from that which harms us and harms those around us. But the whole point of walking with Jesus is NOT so you can turn around and start pointing out other people's shortcomings. Because guess what genius, we have the Holy Spirit.

We know from Ecclesiastes 3 and Romans 1 that God already put within every person the longing for meaning, and that our own conscience convicts us of our shortcomings. They already know, that's universal, no one needs your lame attempts. When you become a believer, the Spirit convicts you of sin. The same power that raised Christ from the dead dwells within each believer. One aspect of the indwelling Holy Spirit is He brings us into alignment with His will (through reading the Word, through hearing preaching, through worship.)

But before that life changing repentance happens, you are dead in sin. Like seriously, have you ever read Romans? Would you walk up to a dead pigeon and ask it to move? When you're dead you don't hear anything. Are you sure you're a Christian....I mean, because that's pretty foundational, if you don't get that, I'm not sure you understand the gospel.

You won't find a single instance of Jesus condemning sinners who came to him. But you know what really made his blood boil? You remember what filled him with righteous indignation, got him so fired up he flipped over tables, drove them out of the temple with a whip (which he took the time to fasten himself whilst getting that anger worked up)? Religious hypocrites - the Pharisees. The people who thought they were better than everyone else. The people who knew every aspect of the law and lived holier than thou and wagged their fingers at lesser men. The religious people of his day - that is who Jesus spoke "woe unto you" toward. Not people who were just trying to live their life.

Jesus did often say at the conclusion of healing someone...or after interacting with them (the woman at the well, the woman caught in the very act of adultery)...to "go and sin no more." But that's after finding out where they were at....after determining what they needed...after healing them, after delivering something tangible. He never starts out with "oh, you're a drunkard? you're a prostitute? well you need to repent, so jot that down." He took the time to get to know people. He accepted where they were at in their journey. Can you imagine, instead, a Jesus who walks through the crowds shouting "REPENT!"

Pretty absurd imagery, right? So why do you do that? Why are you so afraid of being vulnerable and getting to know people? Why are you hiding behind your proclamations without admitting you're just as screwed up as the rest of us? You feel me?

My brother in Christ (not an internet euphemism), folks don't need an end of life contingency. They need help right here right now. They need something that is real. They need truth that makes sense of this crazy mixed up thing called life. They're not interested in shoe horning their dysfunction into outdated man-made religious models that have failed society for centuries.

Drive-by postings are nothing more than a clanging cymbal. The sound will fade soon enough but the memory of the annoyance will linger. That's your legacy with this little piece of performance art, bro. If you don't know how to connect with people in a way that is genuine and on their level, have a seat. You're even less effective that white shirt skinny black tie street preachers on a college campus with an electronic bullhorn. Nothing more than annoying sound that will fade as soon as the students walk away (or board members close this awful thread.)

There is real, life changing power in the gospel of Jesus Christ. You treat it like it's some cheap wonder product from a 3am 1990s style infomercial.

The gospel never asks us to clean up ourselves so we can then be considered worthy of going before the Lord. Goodness, do you read your bible? Christianity is the one religion which offers forgiveness and salvation without being dependent on ourselves. No sacrifices, no amount of discipline or self-righteous deeds will achieve anything. That's hot garbage - it's what the Bible calls filthy rags. On your best day all the good you think is within you is equivalent to used toilet paper.

The gospel is where God says "I know you. I get it. There's nothing you can do to make yourself good enough for me. That's why I made a way for you. That's why I sent my Son. You don't have to do all that striving." On the cross, Christ Jesus took upon himself all sin - past, present and future - and paid the price that should have been ours. Then in the resurrection, he conquered death (because sin leads to death); he broke the power of sin and death. He did that. It is finished. In exchange for taking our sins, He gave us the righteousness of Christ. That's the most lopsided trade in history, way worse than Ricky Williams, Herschel Walker or Denny McLain. We give up (repent) our sin. and in exchange can stand before the Father spotless. Makes no sense, but that's the deal.

It's free, you don't have to do anything except believe. It's not even your own faith - he provides that as well. It's more than just mumbling a few words, this ain't Harry Potter.

But it does start with a simple "I'm sorry. I believe you came here, and you made a way for me to have a relationship with the God who created this universe. I want to follow you and live my life for you." If it's real, that little spark can grow into a roaring fire. Religion - which never helped anyone - tells people they have to live their life a certain way, live a restricted life of sacrifice and doing good. Then maybe (but we're never sure), they'll be counted worthy. Christianity starts with acceptance, forgiveness, and assurance. As a believer you cannot help but want to live your life for the God who did all that for you when you were still his enemy.

My advice: engage. Or stay away. But stop annoying us with this b.s. you're slinging. If you are truly interested in pointing people to jesus, start with something that is relatable and genuine and actually makes sense. This entire thread is a nonsensical word salad. Do better.

If you learn nothing else from this diatribe, know this: people don't remember what you said, but they will remember how you made them feel.

People don't follow advice. Like, from their dad, maybe, their best friend or mentor, possibly....but even then, usually not. They often don't remember exactly you said. You know what sticks? The emotion they experienced after being around you. They don't remember what you said or why you said it, but they will always ,100% of the time, recall how they felt after they encountered you. If you have any interest whatsoever at being an effective communicator, focus on how your message is or is not being received. If it's the latter, the listener/reader is not the one who needs to make an adjustment.

Christianity is the one religion which offers forgiveness and salvation without being dependent on ourselves. No sacrifices, no amount of discipline or self-righteous deeds will achieve anything.
BobbyLayne, yours is the most wonderful post i have read on this forum.

and it's funny, Paddington's clanging cymbal provided the opportunity and impetus for your beautiful response. so thank you both.

but, (gotta be one) re: the part i quoted, i suspect you are under informed. here are a few quotes.

Lin-chi, Japanese Buddhist 867 A.D. : "there is no place in Buddhism for using effort" "You talk about being perfectly disciplined in you six senses, and in the ten thousand ways of conduct, but as i see it, all this is creating karma. To seek the Buddha and to seek the Dharma is precisely making karma for the hells." (and similar to your used toilet paper reference) "The Arhans and Pratyekaa-buddhas are like a dirty privy."

Abu Sa'id ibn Abi'l-Khyr, Persian Sufi mystic 967-1049 A.D.:(a few excerpts from comments on spiritual process) "You are freed from your own desires when God frees you. This is not effected by your own exertion, but by the grace of God."
"Then he opens to you the gate of repentance."
"you continue to strive and, for a while, to pride yourself upon your efforts, thinking you are advancing or achieving something;" "and perceive that they were done by God's grace"
"what was formerly hearsay now becomes known to you intuitively" "that you do not have the right to say "I" or "mine". "At this stage you behold your helplessness; desires fall away and you become free and calm."
"It is a thing that cannot be rightly learned by instruction, nor sewed on with needle nor tied on with thread. It is the gift of God."

Ramana Maharishi, Indian Hindu 1879-1950 A.D. "God's grace is the beginning, the middle, and the end. When you pray for God's grace, you are like someone standing neck-deep in water and yet crying for water."

so, those guys views may not be typically representative of their traditions, but the sun shines on all.

BTW, i saw Bobby Layne play when he was a Steeler and pretty much washed, but it was exciting and is a fond memory

So who knows?
As Hitchens so eloquently noted, the doctrine of vicarious redemption is, at its core, immoral.

IMHO, All these religions are just great flood/Cataclysm stories with different character names
I’ve glanced through a book that describes the various creation stories from many different cultures …some of them (many? all?) are rather wild. I’ve heard it said that the Bible’s creation story is “an island in the sea of creation.” :shrug:
What's the name of the book?
Sorry …just saw it briefly and didn’t note the name of it.

Time is short. Christ is coming very soon. I urge you to read this first post and vote in the poll. Place your FAITH in Jesus Christ as your LORD and believe that He died and rose again to pay for your sins.

Users who are viewing this thread