What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How vulnerable is the US? (2 Viewers)

On a scale of 1-10 how vulnerable is the US?

• 10 - Bye Bye Miss American Pie

Votes: 10 7.4%

Votes: 3 2.2%

Votes: 7 5.2%
  • 7- Thinking of taking up a new language

Votes: 16 11.9%

Votes: 10 7.4%
  • 5 - meh, it could go either way, really

Votes: 23 17.0%

Votes: 16 11.9%
  • 3 - I ain't scared

Votes: 36 26.7%

Votes: 6 4.4%
  • 1 - Murica - Nuff said

Votes: 8 5.9%

• Total voters
The lack of random attacks at malls, stores, etc. make me believe that the amount of supposed hidden terror cells within our country is overblown and the government is doing a good job at rounding up any organized groups. Sure, eventually there will be a suicide bombing somewhere but I can't imagine it being widespread. Something will happen again but I don't know if it will rival 9/11. Overwhelming our energy grid or internet capabilities?

The lack of random attacks at malls, stores, etc. make me believe that the amount of supposed hidden terror cells within our country is overblown and the government is doing a good job at rounding up any organized groups. Sure, eventually there will be a suicide bombing somewhere but I can't imagine it being widespread.
This is more likely to be the case... But it's an interesting exercise to peer thru the looking glass at other options.

You should be fine where you're at. I would consider a shotgun for the apartment though.. or some sort of "kick-in" resistance for your door.

I keep my Glock on the nightstand, and we have a Shotgun loaded and ready in the bedroom (that the girlfriend is comfortable with) as well in the event someone looks to force entry at night.
The blacks and Muuuuuslims are coming! Take cover!
Still drunk from the night before I see :thumbup:

Just reading the news the last few weeks, and it seems the world is even crazier than normal right now. There are significant regional skirmishes in Russia/Ukraine, Israel/Gaza, Middle East/Syria/Iraq, various hot spots in various lawless areas in Africa, a new Ebola outbreak, North Korea looking for attention, etc.

It got me wondering how vulnerable the US really is - not in a military sense, because I do not see any scenario where the US would be at risk militarily. But, when the US falls, I think it will be more likely the result of an economic collapse. And, if I had to guess, I would say that most, if not all, of our foreign and domestic policy choices are driven by the need to protect our economy.

Going back to the Iraq wars - most would now agree that these wars were about oil, more than any other reason, and I think the primary assumption is that we wanted to protect the free flow of oil into the world markets to keep oil prices low/stable. It seems, as a result there has been a lot of talk about reducing our dependence on oil, but for all of our innovation/brain power, we don't seem any closer to reducing our dependence on oil. That seems counter-intuitive that we could not make greater headway - unless we did not really want to move away from oil.

Certainly big-oil is a huge industry unto themselves, and the lobby power is significant. But what if, as others have suggested, the issue is not really our dependence on oil - which we have been "talking" about since the early '70s. Rather the issue is more primal in that OPEC primarily trades oil in US dollars. That alone, keeps the demand for US currency high, which allows the US Government to continue to issue bonds to fund our ever-increasing deficits. When OPEC decides to move off the US currency, it could have a significant impact on our economy.

There are only a few players in the world who can really make that happen: Iran - wielding undue influence over middle-eastern members, Russia - has enough economic and military clout to support friendly OPEC members who would vote to change currencies, China - has the economic clout (and enough future oil demand) to make it happen, Saudi Arabia - single largest contributor in oil production to OPEC.

When you look at our foreign policy decisions around these countries, we seem to be doing everything we can to keep them from forcing the switch. Our failed Iraq policy was designed to create a stronger (western-leaning) country to keep Iran in line in the Middle East; we seem to be tip-toeing around Russia's excursions into Ukraine, providing only a stern look, while imposing no real sanctions; and we seem to overlook any transgression that comes out of Saudi Arabia, from human rights issues, to funding terrorists.

I wonder how much our hands are tied in many of these situations by not wanting to upset one of the key players. If so, just how vulnerable are we to being economically blackmailed, or worse?
I think you are pretty close as to how and why we pick what skirmishes to be involved in. The biggest threat to the US is if/when countries decide to use something other then the USD to trade oil. Once that happens we are going to see an oversupply of greenbacks and the consequent devaluation. IMO this is the reason we went into Iraq, overthrew Libya, are putting pressure on Iran, and tried to drum up unrest in Syria. We have already upset the key players. The only question now is whether our military presence can keep everyone in line.

You should be fine where you're at. I would consider a shotgun for the apartment though.. or some sort of "kick-in" resistance for your door.

I keep my Glock on the nightstand, and we have a Shotgun loaded and ready in the bedroom (that the girlfriend is comfortable with) as well in the event someone looks to force entry at night.
The blacks and Muuuuuslims are coming! Take cover!
Still drunk from the night before I see :thumbup:
Not much of a drinker but I do get a good buzz when I see you struggle to defend your ignorance. :hifive:

Last edited by a moderator:
The lack of random attacks at malls, stores, etc. make me believe that the amount of supposed hidden terror cells within our country is overblown and the government is doing a good job at rounding up any organized groups. Sure, eventually there will be a suicide bombing somewhere but I can't imagine it being widespread. Something will happen again but I don't know if it will rival 9/11. Overwhelming our energy grid or internet capabilities?
you give the government too much credit.

im more worried about kooks like Peens and his lot freaking out going anti-government than some giant planned attack across the whole country by AQ

timschochet said:
America's good for several more centuries, guys. There is not a single problem we have right now that isn't solvable, and not a single threat we face that can't be dealt with. Don't let the gloom and doomers get you down.
What do you think happens when OPEC drops the US dollar as the trading currency for oil?
Why would they ever do that?
Iraq tried. So did Libya. If Iran builds their reactor they will be able to export even more oil for Euros but they need a pipeline that Israel doesn't have a monopoly on, ie Syria.

The US has sealed its fate. I know all the open minded, liberal athiests dont want to hear it but im just sitting back waiting for the fireworks.....
Archie Bunker said the exact same thing in 1971.
And then 9-11 happened.
In 1971?
Yes, nothing to see here timmy, by all means keep your head into the sand. Its just coincidence the world and its problems are lining up perfectly with the bible and end times prophesy....
Yeah if you guys keep saying that long enough you may eventually get your apocalypse. Even a blind chicken finds corn. But the end has been near for about 2000 years. Predicted over and over. There will be no Armageddon. There will be no pre-trib. There will be more wars cause we love us some killing but it will have nothing to do with a desert god from the bronze age.

And we are no more vulnerable than we have been for the last 30+ years. We were talking about inevitable terrorism in 1981.

timschochet said:
America's good for several more centuries, guys. There is not a single problem we have right now that isn't solvable, and not a single threat we face that can't be dealt with. Don't let the gloom and doomers get you down.
What do you think happens when OPEC drops the US dollar as the trading currency for oil?
Because they can? Iran is already selling to Europe and Asia in non-US currency. Give Iran a bit more power/influence in OPEC and they could vote to abandon the US dollar.
I suppose they could have done that ever since the 1970s, right? My guess is that they don't because it would harm them far worse than us- sort of like if China called in all of our loans. I doubt it's anything we need worry about.
When you are a developed country like China or Russia, I can see the MAD angle and agree, it will never happen from those particular antagonists. On th other hand, when you are from a region who has been or is constantly under the threat of being bombed into the stone ages from the lone super power, your lot arguably can't get much worse than bringing everyone down with you and hitting the reset button.

im more worried about kooks like Peens and his lot freaking out going anti-government than some giant planned attack across the whole country by AQ
If the Republicans are even a little competent, they should be coming back into power in the 2014 and 2016 elections. When that happens, Peens' FOX masters will tell him that the Federal Government is good again.

If the Republicans are even a little competent, they should be coming back into power in the 2014 and 2016 elections. When that happens, Peens' FOX masters will tell him that the Federal Government is good again.
They will not win the national election in 16. They may lose several governors this time. And the Tea Party who they count on to get out and vote in midterms is not very well liked in the states with the most vulnerable senators. I wouldn't count my chickens quite yet if I were them.

you give the government too much credit.im more worried about kooks like Peens and his lot freaking out going anti-government than some giant planned attack across the whole country by AQ
Peens is harmless.

The US has sealed its fate. I know all the open minded, liberal athiests dont want to hear it but im just sitting back waiting for the fireworks.....
And then 9-11 happened.
In 1971?
Yes, nothing to see here timmy, by all means keep your head into the sand. Its just coincidence the world and its problems are lining up perfectly with the bible and end times prophesy....
Sure thing Mr. Camping. Where do I send the check?

you give the government too much credit.im more worried about kooks like Peens and his lot freaking out going anti-government than some giant planned attack across the whole country by AQ
Peens is brainless.
FYP.

If the country's infrastructure crashes it will just hasten the increasingly overdue annexation by Canada of the remnants.

And we are no more vulnerable than we have been for the last 30+ years. We were talking about inevitable terrorism in 1981.
:goodposting:

In 1981, the US and Soviets were on hair-trigger nuclear alerts. Anybody who thinks we're closer to something apocalyptic now than we were back then has a really short memory.

And then 9-11 happened.
In 1971?
Yeah if you guys keep saying that long enough you may eventually get your apocalypse. Even a blind chicken finds corn. But the end has been near for about 2000 years. Predicted over and over. There will be no Armageddon. There will be no pre-trib. There will be more wars cause we love us some killing but it will have nothing to do with a desert god from the bronze age.
I know right, end of the world = 1999, no wait its 2012, no wait its.............................................

Peens is brainless.
FYP.

If the country's infrastructure crashes it will just hasten the increasingly overdue annexation by Canada of the remnants.
Why would Canada annex that mess? We would become the next Mexico run by drug cartels. Canada would be better served putting up a wall an keeping everyone out.

IvanKaramazov said:
NCCommish said:

In 1981, the US and Soviets were on hair-trigger nuclear alerts. Anybody who thinks we're closer to something apocalyptic now than we were back then has a really short memory.
Has anyone in this thread asserted this? :confused:

Short Corner said:
roadkill1292 said:
timschochet said:
bicycle_seat_sniffer said:
jamny said:
Peens is brainless.
FYP.

Why would Canada annex that mess? We would become the next Mexico run by drug cartels. Canada would be better served putting up a wall an keeping everyone out.
Because that will be our new SJW goal, making ourselves presentable to a potential savior. Or prostrating ourselves, I don't care which route we go to convince them.

A little dose of humility may be good for us, too.

IvanKaramazov said:
NCCommish said:

Has anyone in this thread asserted this? :confused:
Did you skip some posts?

I started the thread under the premise that we are not under a threat of a military attack. Icon's theory is unsettlingly well thought out :oldunsure: and is within the realm of things that could happen, however unlikely. But even under that scenario - the damage will not be from the attacks themselves, but from any aftermath that disrupts the US/global economy.

I am one who thinks the US will collapse someday - not a big limb given that virtually every other great civilization has collapsed at some point - but it will like happen from within, and will be tied to an economic collapse rather than an invading army, or nuclear weapons. I think our economy is far more fragile, and built like a house of cards, than we would care to admit. If the demand for US currency diminished significantly - we will be in a world of hurt.

I started the thread under the premise that we are not under a threat of a military attack. Icon's theory is unsettlingly well thought out :oldunsure: and is within the realm of things that could happen, however unlikely. But even under that scenario - the damage will not be from the attacks themselves, but from any aftermath that disrupts the US/global economy.

I am one who thinks the US will collapse someday - not a big limb given that virtually every other great civilization has collapsed at some point - but it will like happen from within, and will be tied to an economic collapse rather than an invading army, or nuclear weapons. I think our economy is far more fragile, and built like a house of cards, than we would care to admit. If the demand for US currency diminished significantly - we will be in a world of hurt.
If at any time in the foreseeable future the US economy collapses the world economy follows very shortly after.

When we have a cold the world has the flu.

If at any time in the foreseeable future the US economy collapses the world economy follows very shortly after.

The archaeological record is consistent throughout the history of Man- there is marked drop in culture (pottery, crafts, building skills, etc) preceding the fall of every great civilization. (actually true)

Exhibit A.

We are ####ed.

It's kind of a joke... but the first part is true and the 2nd part is definitely true. When the future great Greenland civilzation sorts through the archaeological record of the US, they'll find and tag reality TV as the catalytic signpost of the final decline.

jamny said:
I've had the same thought for a while now, and maybe it comes from being in NYC and seeing how vulnerable everything is on a daily basis despite enormous police/Homeland Security presence in key areas. You have the subway "searches" like El Floppo said but those are very infrequent. I used to commute from NJ and remember standing on the 300 level of Port Authority with at least a thousand other people in a dense area and thinking...wow, there was absolutely no one stopping me from walking into here with a plan to do something horrible. The same can be said about the area in Penn Station where people gather to wait for train tracks to be announced. It really can be scary but it makes me believe that someone is doing some crazy #### that we have no idea of, because that's a much more logical answer than the alternative of terrorists not realizing the same weaknesses.

BTW, the closest we came to figuring this out was 2008 pre-bank bailouts. Our economy was done and the only thing that would have "saved" us was that, as others have noted, the global economy was right behind us so we would have all been on the same page.

The archaeological record is consistent throughout the history of Man- there is marked drop in culture (pottery, crafts, building skills, etc) preceding the fall of every great civilization. (actually true)

Exhibit A.

We are ####ed.

It's kind of a joke... but the first part is true and the 2nd part is definitely true. When the future great Greenland civilzation sorts through the archaeological record of the US, they'll find and tag reality TV as the catalytic signpost of the final decline.
If base entertainment was going to be the downfall of anything we would have gone under a long, long time ago. People have been tagging whatever entertainment they didn't like as the end of civilization in this country since the Puritans banned birthday parties.

If you got strep, the flu dosn't really scare ya.

Exhibit A.

We are ####ed.

If base entertainment was going to be the downfall of anything we would have gone under a long, long time ago. People have been tagging whatever entertainment they didn't like as the end of civilization in this country since the Puritans banned birthday parties.
It's the lowest common denominator that defines the complete culture (in archaeology). Reality TV and a disposable lifestyle (everything is made to throw away, rather than last)- I think the signs are there that culture has tipped to the decline. Jersey Shore girls making more than even Chet only proves it.

Exhibit A.

We are ####ed.

It's the lowest common denominator that defines the complete culture (in archaeology). Reality TV and a disposable lifestyle (everything is made to throw away, rather than last)- I think the signs are there that culture has tipped to the decline. Jersey Shore girls making more than even Chet only proves it.
As Tim mentioned the vast wasteland of TV has long been talked about. And every decade or so we are told it is the end because this show or that is on and popular. It's silly and not a great determiner of future success IMO.

Hey [i####]

I know you are passive aggressive and not very bright, but you might want to reconsider backing Veterans Today in your sig.

Basically it is an anti-Semitic, anti-government, rag that does not support the interest of veterans in the least.

The Wounded Warrior Project is highly rated among charity organizations raising more than $114 million for veteran's programs. Veterans today has raised $0.

I know you don't like me because I call you on all your :bs: but you should probably have some respect for veteran's issues. To bad mouth an organization that is a leader in spinal cord and head injury support and research is immature and obnoxious. You rarely have your facts straight, but you are way off the grid with this stunt.

Shame on you.

timschochet said:
Sinn Fein said:
timschochet said:
The same reason the BRICS bank was formed two weeks ago... for those countries to conduct international trade without the dollar.

News flash... we've started to cough and sneeze.

Icon's theory is unsettlingly well thought out :oldunsure: and is within the realm of things that could happen, however unlikely. But even under that scenario - the damage will not be from the attacks themselves, but from any aftermath that disrupts the US/global economy.
I think of it in the realm of white hat hackers... approaching things from the other perspective can help get ahead of the curve.

Exhibit A.

We are ####ed.

As Tim mentioned the vast wasteland of TV has long been talked about. And every decade or so we are told it is the end because this show or that is on and popular. It's silly and not a great determiner of future success IMO.
as I wrote- it's kind of a joke.

I still see disposable culture as being a problem. And I still like the idea of some future culture looking at what we've produced the way archaeologists look at pottery sherds from Ur, and find that horrible little broad from Jersey Shore... with great horror and realization that OF COURSE, the US civilization was doomed.

Exhibit A.

We are ####ed.

as I wrote- it's kind of a joke.

I still see disposable culture as being a problem. And I still like the idea of some future culture looking at what we've produced the way archaeologists look at pottery sherds from Ur, and find that horrible little broad from Jersey Shore... with great horror and realization that OF COURSE, the US civilization was doomed.
This I agree with. But even it is overstated. I don't live my life that way and no one else has to either. I am still watching TV on a CRT that is at least 20 years old. But I don't need the latest thing the commercials claim I do. I will admit it is time to buy a new TV. But I will get one with a bunch of goodies and pay was less than most have spent in the intervening time period. And I will have it a long time before I upgrade again. Just not into chasing the Joneses.

This I agree with. But even it is overstated. I don't live my life that way and no one else has to either. I am still watching TV on a CRT that is at least 20 years old. But I don't need the latest thing the commercials claim I do. I will admit it is time to buy a new TV. But I will get one with a bunch of goodies and pay was less than most have spent in the intervening time period. And I will have it a long time before I upgrade again. Just not into chasing the Joneses.
I guess this is for another conversation/thread.

I just find that so many items are made to be replaced in a shorter life-cycle... and it's not about keeping up with anybody- just what's available to buy isn't made to last the way it was even 30 years ago.

Hey [i####]

I know you are passive aggressive and not very bright, but you might want to reconsider backing Veterans Today in your sig.

Basically it is an anti-Semitic, anti-government, rag that does not support the interest of veterans in the least.

The Wounded Warrior Project is highly rated among charity organizations raising more than $114 million for veteran's programs. Veterans today has raised $0.

I know you don't like me because I call you on all your :bs: but you should probably have some respect for veteran's issues. To bad mouth an organization that is a leader in spinal cord and head injury support and research is immature and obnoxious. You rarely have your facts straight, but you are way off the grid with this stunt.

Shame on you.
Jesus that site is horrible. Here are some of the stories from a quick glance of that website:

It’s now established that US and international troops were deployed to the Ukraine under Exercise Rapid Trident - a 12-Nation joint military exercise in the Ukraine coinciding with the alleged crash of MH-17.

Interview Reveals US Army Facilitated actions in Eastern Ukraine. Did the Army hire Ukraine sub-contractors to haul imported crash debris ror camera fodder?

ISIS Follows Israeli/CIA Agenda (video)ISIS Follows Israeli/CIA Agenda (video)

Running out of time: Will the US attack the US again?

Hamas Pricks Israel’s Soft Under-Belly, Ben Gurion Airport

The Sandy Hook “Smoking Gun”: Game, Set, Match! (17934)

How many times have government and military exercises turned into false flag events like 9/11, Sandy Hook, Boston Marathon Bombing and now, perhaps the alleged missile attack on MH-17?

Hey [i####]

Shame on you.
Jesus that site is horrible. Here are some of the stories from a quick glance of that website:

It’s now established that US and international troops were deployed to the Ukraine under Exercise Rapid Trident - a 12-Nation joint military exercise in the Ukraine coinciding with the alleged crash of MH-17.

Interview Reveals US Army Facilitated actions in Eastern Ukraine. Did the Army hire Ukraine sub-contractors to haul imported crash debris ror camera fodder?

How many times have government and military exercises turned into false flag events like 9/11, Sandy Hook, Boston Marathon Bombing and now, perhaps the alleged missile attack on MH-17?
To be fair Wounded Warriors is well below average in how much money makes it from your donation to someone who can use it. This is according to Charity Navigator which is a pretty reliable site.

Hey [i####]

Shame on you.

To be fair Wounded Warriors is well below average in how much money makes it from your donation to someone who can use it. This is according to Charity Navigator which is a pretty reliable site.
I'm not making a judgment about Wounded Warriors. I don't know enough about it. But I see enough on the site Icon links to know that any organization that says the US staged 9/11 and shot down the flight in Ukraine is horrible and should not be supported in any way.

Hey [i####]

Shame on you.

Its now established that US and international troops were deployed to the Ukraine under Exercise Rapid Trident - a 12-Nation joint military exercise in the Ukraine coinciding with the alleged crash of MH-17.

Hamas Pricks Israels Soft Under-Belly, Ben Gurion Airport

The Sandy Hook Smoking Gun: Game, Set, Match! (17934)

The same reliable site that gives WWP three out of four stars as far as charitable organizations?

Hey [i####]

Shame on you.

I'm not making a judgment about Wounded Warriors. I don't know enough about it. But I see enough on the site Icon links to know that any organization that says the US staged 9/11 and shot down the flight in Ukraine is horrible and should not be supported in any way.
Seems to fit into the spirit of the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread