What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How Worried Are You About Josh Gordon Missing "Start" Of Training Camp? (1 Viewer)

How Worried Are You About Josh Gordon Missing "Start" Of Training Camp?

• Worried A Lot

Votes: 65 46.1%
  • Worried A Little

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • Not Worried

Votes: 27 19.1%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/23/josh-gordon-to-miss-start-of-training-camp-for-overall-health-and-treatment/

I know this is in the huge master thread but wanted to discuss specifically here. 

Josh Gordon, the talented but troubled Browns wide receiver whose career has repeatedly been derailed by issues stemming from drug addiction, has announced that he will not be at the start of training camp.

Gordon didn’t go into specifics about the nature of the treatment he currently needs, but he did say in a Twitter message that treatment will keep him off the field when his teammates begin practicing.

“I will not be in Cleveland for the start of training camp,” Gordon wrote. “Rest assured this too is a part of my overall health and treatment plan. I appreciate the awesome support I have received from teammates, friends, fans, and the Brown’s organization. Just like you, I am excited to start the season and I have every intention of being ready and available to join my teammates soon to help bring winning football to our fans. With the help of the NFL, NFLPA, and the Browns’ organization, I have been able to utilize the resources available to me that will ensure my well-being on and off the field. By continuing to follow the plan set up by our medical director and his team and taking this time before this season starts, we believe it will help me maintain the progress I’ve made for not only today but for many years to come. Thank you all for your patience, love, and support! Go Browns!”

Gordon’s message strikes an optimistic note that he’ll be on the field when the season starts. Teammates have spoken highly of him this offseason, and the Browns have indicated that they believe his problems are behind him and some great football is ahead of him.

Same story, another day, another season. At this point I'd be more surprised if he actually went through a full 16 games and kept his nose clean, literally. 

I'm not worried because I could care less really.   If a person did care how could you not be worried?  Sounds like a suspension coming....

I'm not worried because I could care less really.   If a person did care how could you not be worried?  Sounds like a suspension coming....
Don't you mean couldn't care less? :)   Wasn't he performing poorly before his suspension?  I think fantasy owners need to learn to quit giving up good value in trades for this guy.  As for those who got him cheap, no big deal.

Don't you mean couldn't care less? :)   Wasn't he performing poorly before his suspension?  I think fantasy owners need to learn to quit giving up good value in trades for this guy.  As for those who got him cheap, no big deal.
Pet peeve for me! 

Someone traded Wentz for Gordon in my dynasty league. Surprise because the guy has been over-valuing every one of his other players (wanted 2 1sts for Freeman, etc). Practically impossible to trade with, but I guess he thinks Gordon is the best WR in the league. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Very concerned here.

The only other theory I've seen that makes any sense is that they wanted to keep him away from the Hard Knocks cameras, which I'm guessing are starting to film as of right now?

Otherwise, I'm just waiting for the looming suspension news to drop.
I thought teams had some control over who got prime roles on Hard Knocks?

Got him last season as a nothing throw in, so while this is worrying, I'm not crushed if he doesn't pan out. Would make me regret not trading him away while he was hot though.

I was hoping I'd get at least a *few* games out of him first. 

There is nothing good about any of this. I'd be shocked at this point if this story is anything less than him having ####ed up. For the last time. The timing is so dumb.

Choosing to believe in him for now. Maybe he's feeling vulnerable as his return gets closer and wants a mental tune up. Maybe he's afraid of the scrutiny of cameras and interviews with Hard Knocks. Cameras just arrived this weekend. Coming back is a hard road and I'm willing to go by his note and Snhefter's reporting and wait for more info before considering if we have a failure here.

Maybe he's feeling vulnerable as his return gets closer and wants a mental tune up. Maybe he's afraid of the scrutiny of cameras and interviews with Hard Knocks. Cameras just arrived this weekend. Coming back is a hard road and I'm willing to go by his note and Snhefter's reporting and wait for more info before considering if we have a failure here.
Nothing says NFL baller like "feeling vulnerable" heading into TC. 

Shefter's tweet is encouraging, I guess. Gordon's fragile psyche not so much. 

Nothing to see here.  He's a veteran starter.  The percentage of those NFL veteran starters who actually want to be at training camp is likely very small.  He has a legitimate reason.

Right and when someone as credible as Shefter is reporting he's absolutely not failed a test and is just being proactive don't you think it's a little early to overreact?
I made this statement in his player thread, but if a guy can't be ready mentally for the start of training camp, that can't be a good thing. What changes from July until September? If he can't handle the mental aspect of training camp then how can he handle the regular season? 

I don't know how much smoke needs to be around this guy for people to see a fire. Pun was not intended 

This is a big deal for him. Maybe he was medically advised to get back in slowly. I just root for (and give benefit of doubt) anyone trying to come back from what he is. 

Also, after training camp, he won't have Hard Knocks in his face daily asking how he's doing.

i'm only slightly worried, but i am not relying on him on any of my teams

random thought: maybe he's trying to get a new contract and this is the only leverage he has

I think for me, it's all in how "start" of camp is defined. A few days? A couple of weeks? I'm not worried if it's a thing where his doctors have had a specific part of his plan scheduled. But we'll see. 

“By continuing to follow the plan set up by our medical director and his team and taking this time before this season starts,”

I don’t see what the problem is or where all this talk about him supposedly messing up again is coming from. This seems to be him following and embracing the recovery/rehabilitation/whatever. This seems good. So is the worry just he will be missing practice time? 

I made this statement in his player thread, but if a guy can't be ready mentally for the start of training camp, that can't be a good thing. What changes from July until September? If he can't handle the mental aspect of training camp then how can he handle the regular season? 

I don't know how much smoke needs to be around this guy for people to see a fire. Pun was not intended 
And I posted in another thread that he has to follow the recommendation of the  NFL/NFLPA jointly appointed medical advisor. That's what appears to be going on here. That's cause for some element of concern. What it's not is a failed test or a pending suspension. It's also not to me a sign that he can't handle the mental aspect of training camp.

What it means to me is he's fighting hard to overcome this and he's struggling big time, but so far he's winning the fight. This is another step to make sure  he keeps winning the fight.

With regards to your last sentence I think everyone understands he's a major risk.

And I posted in another thread that he has to follow the recommendation of the  NFL/NFLPA jointly appointed medical advisor. That's what appears to be going on here. That's cause for some element of concern. What it's not is a failed test or a pending suspension. It's also not to me a sign that he can't handle the mental aspect of training camp.

What it means to me is he's fighting hard to overcome this and he's struggling big time, but so far he's winning the fight. This is another step to make sure  he keeps winning the fight.

With regards to your last sentence I think everyone understands he's a major risk.
Hi @menobrown  What do you think of the Tony Grossi tweet above?

You have to be concerned...if you are not you are ignoring past facts...what is going on here is anyone's guess and it could be absolutely nothing...unfortunately Gordon's past history means he does not get the benefit of the doubt...

Hi Joe,  I don't really know but that's not stopped me from forming theories.

I start with working with what I know or believe to be true. He's not failed a test and is not facing a suspension. I believe these things to be true.

Then I think of the way  Pellisero phrased it on NFL Network was "it was apparent something was happening with Josh Gordon".  Grossi phrased his comment as "something was happening".

So we got two respected and generally accurate writers referencing something happening to him yet I don't think he failed a test or is facing a suspension. It's really confusing and as I said it's some element of concern, it's not a nothingburger.

All I got left is to speculate based on what little we know an what we choose to believe on what is reported. Since I believe he did not  fail a test or did anything to face a suspension yet also believe both of these reports of "something happening" my best guess is the something is not so much a singular incident but a general deteriorating in his mental state to point of concerning his medical director that he needed help.

In short I feel like I have no idea at the "something happening" is and am grasping at straws but I don't think he failed a test or is facing a suspension but that does not mean I'm worry free.

I would like to know how involved the Browns and medical staff were involved in the offseason...Seems like they should have been way ahead of this prior to camp

Hi Joe,  I don't really know but that's not stopped me from forming theories.

I start with working with what I know or believe to be true. He's not failed a test and is not facing a suspension. I believe these things to be true.

Then I think of the way  Pellisero phrased it on NFL Network was "it was apparent something was happening with Josh Gordon".  Grossi phrased his comment as "something was happening".

So we got two respected and generally accurate writers referencing something happening to him yet I don't think he failed a test or is facing a suspension. It's really confusing and as I said it's some element of concern, it's not a nothingburger.

All I got left is to speculate based on what little we know an what we choose to believe on what is reported. Since I believe he did not  fail a test or did anything to face a suspension yet also believe both of these reports of "something happening" my best guess is the something is not so much a singular incident but a general deteriorating in his mental state to point of concerning his medical director that he needed help.

In short I feel like I have no idea at the "something happening" is and am grasping at straws but I don't think he failed a test or is facing a suspension but that does not mean I'm worry free.
But Gordon's own words

I am reaching out to you all personally and letting you know that I am not only doing great physically, but mentally as well"

I think he is playing a clown.  As in, "he's not here so by definition something happened to keep him out.  I never said anything about the details or what or the severity I just said 'something' so I was right"

The issue with Gordon is you never really know if the news involving him is something or nothing . . . and how to put a timeline on each incident. This episode is no different. It could be minor and he could only miss a few days of camp. Or it could be something bubbling under the surface that drags on for much longer. Gordon owners (or potential Gordon buyers) should be concerned. It could very easily turn into the same rabbit hole as multiple other times. Others will look at it as a mild speed bump and potentially a good opportunity to buy low. Each person will have his/her tolerance and risk levels. In my case, I gave at the office, so I did my time in the barrel and have opted not to chase Gordon this year. Best of luck to those that end up with him and I hope this really is just a minor set back.

To me this isn’t saying much. He was clarifying a tweet of his that was kind of dumb. He tweeted that the rumors going around about Gordon we now know are true. His clarification is saying something like well the rumors were something happened that would interrupt his recovery. He’s not going to be at the start of camp so something did happen to interrupt that. He doesn’t seem to have any specific information. Just somewhat defending while also sort of backing off a fairly stupid previous tweet.

To me this isn’t saying much. He was clarifying a tweet of his that was kind of dumb. He tweeted that the rumors going around about Gordon we now know are true. His clarification is saying something like well the rumors were something happened that would interrupt his recovery. He’s not going to be at the start of camp so something did happen to interrupt that. He doesn’t seem to have any specific information. Just somewhat defending while also sort of backing off a fairly stupid previous tweet.
Honestly, I think he's just back pedaling. Typical twitter news. Be the "first" to get something out, which he tweeted "the rumors were true." Then when he was pressed about what specific rumor was true, he clarified saying "something" was affecting him to start camp. Just typical person trying to be first to get something out, make it vague, then try to clarify it with something more vague. 

Honestly, I think he's just back pedaling. Typical twitter news. Be the "first" to get something out, which he tweeted "the rumors were true." Then when he was pressed about what specific rumor was true, he clarified saying "something" was affecting him to start camp. Just typical person trying to be first to get something out, make it vague, then try to clarify it with something more vague. 
Yup exactly what I think.

Not just backpedaling, but moving the goalposts as well.  He said that something would be affecting his recovery, but now he's changed it to say that something is affecting his ability to be at training camp.

Not true at all

First tweet

Tony Grossi‏Verified account @TonyGrossi 5h5 hours ago

The Josh Gordon rumors have  been around for at least a month. They were true, we know now.

Second Tweet

Tony Grossi‏Verified account @TonyGrossi 3h3 hours ago

To clarify a previous tweet ... The rumors of Josh Gordon the past month were that something was happening that would interrupt his recovery. I heard the gamut, but the fact is that something did happen to interrupt the start of his training camp.
The first tweet has zero substance: he doesn't address what the rumors are.

The 2nd tweet is the one I quoted, where he turns "recovery" into "training camp".

As someone who has Martavis and Gordon on one team still in dynasty, if situations like this rear their head in the future cut your losses on the 2nd suspension. 

How about not worried because of his veteran status  Browns could hope to use this time evaluating other receivers  If we discuss rapport with his QB to mean much than that means defining whose the QB in the whole gamut of Season play

Pet peeve for me! 

Someone traded Wentz for Gordon in my dynasty league. Surprise because the guy has been over-valuing every one of his other players (wanted 2 1sts for Freeman, etc). Practically impossible to trade with, but I guess he thinks Gordon is the best WR in the league. 
good lord

Nothing to see here.  He's a veteran starter.  The percentage of those NFL veteran starters who actually want to be at training camp is likely very small.  He has a legitimate reason.
i mean, gordon seems quite different than most veteran starters, no?

Yea you are right.  They should just cancel training camp for anyone who has played at least 40 games in the last 6 years
We are discussing a skill position involving a player whose conditioning rivals many if not most players   What exactly would you hope to accomplish other than noting your QB isn't terribly consistent or perhaps a bit playbook challenged  Personally, I would suspect its almost a good thing because it avoids the risk of injury via overzealous play

I do not hope to change your view on "practice" because it can lead to improvement...  Here's the GM's take " We will continue to support Josh as he receives the care needed to maintain his progress. We are going to respect his privacy while he is away from the team. Josh will be placed on the non-football illness reserve list until he is ready to return. ”  Browns and their Coaching staff are probably best served listening to Professionals on the matter  

I actually just dealt him away yesterday for a future 1st.   My reasoning was a lot of mouths to feed, landry will command a lot of targets, trod never been a huge passer, he's 27 already, still under control for one more year, and he could also become a free agent too.

Besides all the suspensions...

Then....hearing this news just reinforces the aspect of not having to worry about him.

I thought Gordon left camp at the onset of last year also, no?      Can't remember if the suspension hit first, or he delayed camp, then it was uncovered he failed a test.

I actually just dealt him away yesterday for a future 1st.   My reasoning was a lot of mouths to feed, landry will command a lot of targets, trod never been a huge passer, he's 27 already, still under control for one more year, and he could also become a free agent too.

Besides all the suspensions...

Then....hearing this news just reinforces the aspect of not having to worry about him.

I thought Gordon left camp at the onset of last year also, no?      Can't remember if the suspension hit first, or he delayed camp, then it was uncovered he failed a test.
He left the team right as his 4 game suspension was ending to go to rehab I believe after failing a test, but before that was publicly known. That was the year before last though I think. 

NFL and Schefter have stated no failed test no suspension. Guy is an addict and will be his whole life, he is seeking help proactively which is a good sign to me. Let's hope is back soon. He is good enough that he can miss some of camp. Have to focus on what is most important

Users who are viewing this thread