What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hugh Douglas (1 Viewer)

Bankerguy

Footballguy
Marc Narducci, of the Philadelphia Inquirer, reports Philadelphia Eagles ambassador Hugh Douglas was interviewed on radio station WIP-AM (610) and he questioned QB Donovan McNabb's leadership skills. Douglas spread the blame for the team's disappointing 6-10 season, but he specifically questioned the leadership of McNabb. "The thing that Donovan needs - it's been proven, especially this year - he needs other people to lead," Douglas said. "He's not a leader. He doesn't want to lead. He is the leader on the field as a quarterback; he isn't a team leader. He needs a good supporting cast." Douglas said that he and McNabb talked Wednesday, Feb. 1, after the radio show and that the Eagles quarterback was fine with what Douglas said when he explained the context. Douglas suggested on the show that some radical changes would be needed to address the leadership issue.

Very interesting. This will get a lot of play because Douglas was in the middle of the TO controversy. Therefore it's well known that he's simply not a TO guy taking shots at McNabb due to that debacle.

Exactly what does an ambassador do?
I keep getting the impression Douglas is like star athlete who graduated High School but still wants to hang out there. Kind of like Wooderson in "Dazed and Confused."

This really isn't news, is it? Unless you've been livng under a rock or are a die-hard, in denial Eagles fan it is painfully obvious McNabb isn't a good leader.

Last edited by a moderator:
This really isn't news, is it? Unless you've been livng under a rock or are a die-hard, in denial Eagles fan it is painfully obvious McNabb isn't a good leader.
I totally agree, it's just nice to see some of his teammates and ambassadors (lmao) speaking up about it.

Exactly what does an ambassador do?
I keep getting the impression Douglas is like star athlete who graduated High School but still wants to hang out there. Kind of like Wooderson in "Dazed and Confused."
:napoleondynamiteunclerico:"How much you wanna make a bet I can throw a football over them mountains?... Yeah... Coach woulda put me in fourth quarter, we would've been state champions. No doubt. No doubt in my mind."

From a local perspective, this is a big deal to have Hugh come out publicly and say this, whether you already believed it to be true or not. Remember that Hugh is the one who got into a fight with T.O. during the year. At the time, it was alleged that TO got into McNabb's face and challenged him but he didn't succumb to the taunts, which led to Hugh getting involved. Douglas is a huge influence on the locker room, and one of McNabb's oldest friends on the team.

From a local perspective, this is a big deal to have Hugh come out publicly and say this, whether you already believed it to be true or not. Remember that Hugh is the one who got into a fight with T.O. during the year. At the time, it was alleged that TO got into McNabb's face and challenged him but he didn't succumb to the taunts, which led to Hugh getting involved.

Douglas is a huge influence on the locker room, and one of McNabb's oldest friends on the team.
Agreed. Any time someone from within an organization takes a shot at a franchise player it's a big deal. Add in the fact that Philly has a rabid media and there is little doubt that this will become a big story.I would love to know what Hugh's reason for going public with this is. Maybe he had good intentions and he was trying to motivate McNabb a little more. Yet, IMO there is nothing positive about going public with this. It is nothing more than a distraction they don't need after a season full of distractions.

He did say McNabb was a leader on the field, which is all that matters IMO. Joe Montana was as reclusive as they come off the field, but on the field...Although some could construe Douglas' words as "McNabb should be the leader on the field, and he is not"

Last edited by a moderator:
From a local perspective, this is a big deal to have Hugh come out publicly and say this, whether you already believed it to be true or not. Remember that Hugh is the one who got into a fight with T.O. during the year. At the time, it was alleged that TO got into McNabb's face and challenged him but he didn't succumb to the taunts, which led to Hugh getting involved.

Douglas is a huge influence on the locker room, and one of McNabb's oldest friends on the team.
Agreed. Any time someone from within an organization takes a shot at a franchise player it's a big deal. Add in the fact that Philly has a rabid media and there is little doubt that this will become a big story.I would love to know what Hugh's reason for going public with this is. Maybe he had good intentions and he was trying to motivate McNabb a little more. Yet, IMO there is nothing positive about going public with this. It is nothing more than a distraction they don't need after a season full of distractions.
It certainly puts the Michael Smith ESPN article about McNabb in perspective, too.It's easier to see why teammates didn't rush to McNabb's defense and why the locker room was so divided.

In that article, it comes across that McNabb definitely sees himself as the team leader. But if his teammates, particularly Douglas, feel he doesn't act like one, there's going to be problems.

Curiosity has gotten the best of me: What is an "ambassador", and why is one needed in the locker room?

Users who are viewing this thread