What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I hate eating healthy and working out. HATE IT. (1 Viewer)

top dog

Footballguy
So I've decided I don't want to be a fat ### anymore and decided to make some life changes and lose the weight I've gained in the past 40 years. Long story short, I've treated my body like an amusement park ride and it shows. I need to lose 100 lbs. That's right. 100lbs. Slowly put on weight over the years and then tore up my knee a number of years back. Stopped playing basketball and whatever.

I also love beer. LOVE IT. I can spend hours in a Total Wine store putting together 6 packs!

My wife has gotten back into shape losing 50 lbs on Weight Watchers. Now she has turned into a gym rat and expects me to like it too.

I joined Weight Watchers for Men last week (partially inspired by the Iron Sheik thread where he lost 40 el bees). Week 1 will be over tomorrow. It's been pretty easy because my wife already knows the system. Helps with pointing out what is bad, etc.

I HATE EATING HEALTHY. I HATE GOING TO THE GYM. I'm going to stick with it because I'm pushing 40, have a family history of heart disease and enough is enough.

So.. When does the gym become "fun" or will it never become fun? I've stopped drinking anything with sugar (Mt. Dew, etc) and replaced it with water. That has actually been better than I expected. Don't really miss it. If I get the urge for a soda I'll grab a Coke Zero or something. Maybe once a week. That is down from 3-4 cans per day.

Not much point to this thread except somewhere to make the public declaration that I am going to lose 100 lbs. That way the FFA can berate me if I haven't reached my goal this time next year. :D .

Wish me luck and to all the younger FFA peoples out there.. Stop drinking and eating like a ####### or one day you will find yourself having to sweat your balls off on an elliptical while your wife rips off miles and miles making you feel like a weakling.

Doesn't have to be a PITA in the gym. I've dropped close to 50lbs from Feb>May without really even working out. Since then Ive kept it off by just eating smart during the week and enjoying myself IN MODERATION on the weekends. I didn't want to feel like a hampster on a stupid elliptical so I didn't. Still could stand to lose another 10-20lbs and I will at some point. But for the last few months Ive enjoyed just coasting.

Nothing more mind numbing than elliptical machines or running indoors on treadmills. If you want to exercise too either lift weights, or get your wife to start doing fun #### with you that's also exercise.... Tennis, Jogging/Walking, Biking, etc.

Oh and look into MyFitnessPal app. There's a thread here. It helped a LOT of us... amazing little tool. Some pretty great success stories in that thread.

Fat people always complain about getting thin. Thin people complain about staying thin. But they're sweeping the real story under the rug. The dirty secret that nobody wants to admit is that getting fat is awesome. Screw you if you think a handful of sliced almonds is actually a snack. That's garnish. And a fistful of kale in my smoothie? I want my smoothies to come from Steak and Shake, with milk and cocoa beans. You know what tastes really good on a quarter pounder? A second patty. The only run I want to make is to the store for a six pack. The only six pack I want to have is at that store. It's ####### awesome getting fat. Most fun you'll have and you endomorphic 98 lb weaklings can take a lesson here. You're wasting your lives. Don't forget it when you're working out, either. You've had the big run up and you're working your way down and yeah that sucks but sooner or later you'll yo yo back up and that's going to be so much ####### fun it was totally worth the sweat and the hunger pains and the sudden inability (which you've already displayed) to not talk about losing weight. You'll become fun again. Good luck becoming the new you, but what I'm really looking forward to is meeting the new old you for a beer.

Fat people always complain about getting thin. Thin people complain about staying thin. But they're sweeping the real story under the rug. The dirty secret that nobody wants to admit is that getting fat is awesome. Screw you if you think a handful of sliced almonds is actually a snack. That's garnish. And a fistful of kale in my smoothie? I want my smoothies to come from Steak and Shake, with milk and cocoa beans. You know what tastes really good on a quarter pounder? A second patty. The only run I want to make is to the store for a six pack. The only six pack I want to have is at that store. It's ####### awesome getting fat. Most fun you'll have and you endomorphic 98 lb weaklings can take a lesson here. You're wasting your lives. Don't forget it when you're working out, either. You've had the big run up and you're working your way down and yeah that sucks but sooner or later you'll yo yo back up and that's going to be so much ####### fun it was totally worth the sweat and the hunger pains and the sudden inability (which you've already displayed) to not talk about losing weight. You'll become fun again. Good luck becoming the new you, but what I'm really looking forward to is meeting the new old you for a beer.
:lmao:

Doesn't have to be a PITA in the gym. I've dropped close to 50lbs from Feb>May without really even working out. Since then Ive kept it off by just eating smart during the week and enjoying myself IN MODERATION on the weekends. I didn't want to feel like a hampster on a stupid elliptical so I didn't. Still could stand to lose another 10-20lbs and I will at some point. But for the last few months Ive enjoyed just coasting.

Nothing more mind numbing than elliptical machines or running indoors on treadmills. If you want to exercise too either lift weights, or get your wife to start doing fun #### with you that's also exercise.... Tennis, Jogging/Walking, Biking, etc.

Oh and look into MyFitnessPal app. There's a thread here. It helped a LOT of us... amazing little tool. Some pretty great success stories in that thread.
Can't take up jogging. Would be too devastating on my surgically repaired knee. I tried myfinesspal app before and lost discipline. Weightwatchers is the same basic principal, but their online tools are much easier for me to keep up on. With my wife having so much success with it, it only makes sense for us to be on the same program I guess.

The past 2 years we have had a biggest loser contest at work. Both times the winner had been on weight watchers and lost between 80-100 lbs each!

I'm not an expert by any means, but I'd just start with changing the way you eat, then simple exercise like walking so you can see progress start to happen.

If you start out working out and counting calories, it seems like you will get frustrated and quit if you already know you hate it.

I'm no doctor, but I can't imagine how Coke Zero is a healthy option for anything. Drinks should be the easiest thing to change. Water & coffee/tea are really the only thing you need. I'm sure coffee is not truly needed, but I'm certainly not going to make that case. Never soda of any type, sports drinks, etc.

That paleo/primal thread tht Joe started has lots of good eating advice IMO from smart people. Common sense stuff like protein & veggies vs. breads & sugar.

This was kind of the conversation I had with my wife yesterday..

me: "Eating healthy and working out sucks."

wife: "Quit crying."

me: "I don't know if I can do this the rest of my life."

wife: "If you don't, the rest of your life won't be that long."

me: "I'm not so sure that trade off isn't worth it."

wife: :wall:

Last edited by a moderator:
I started to see the pounds drop off by the end of the first week. Nothing major, but each week I was losing 2-5 pounds. It didn't seem like a lot, but after I lost 10 pounds, I knew I could keep with it. Stick with it. I never did anything more than walking as my exercise.

I will say, I did have to cut out the booze. I'd drink like once a month while dieting. Thought that would be hard, but I knew once I lost the weight, I could start drinking again. Good luck!

I'm not an expert by any means, but I'd just start with changing the way you eat, then simple exercise like walking so you can see progress start to happen.

If you start out working out and counting calories, it seems like you will get frustrated and quit if you already know you hate it.

I'm no doctor, but I can't imagine how Coke Zero is a healthy option for anything. Drinks should be the easiest thing to change. Water & coffee/tea are really the only thing you need. I'm sure coffee is not truly needed, but I'm certainly not going to make that case. Never soda of any type, sports drinks, etc.

That paleo/primal thread tht Joe started has lots of good eating advice IMO from smart people. Common sense stuff like protein & veggies vs. breads & sugar.
I agree. That was why I switched to 90% water. Didn't make the transition to diet, zero calorie stuff. But there is no way I'm going to be a health nut and never have another beer, soda, etc.

Figured having an occasional Coke Zero, while no 100% healthy, was a better option and at least sufficed the urge to have something besides water.

Honestly, you're destined to just put the weight back on unless you commit to eating healthy and living healthy.

It's not a diet, it's not a temporary change. It's a lifestyle change.

If going to the gym isn't for you (and I HATE going to the gym as well), you'll have to find something that works for you. I'm sure there is some sort of physical activity that you would enjoy. Running, biking, swimming, tennis, whatever. Find what it is and go for it.

Good luck!

I agree. That was why I switched to 90% water. Didn't make the transition to diet, zero calorie stuff. But there is no way I'm going to be a health nut and never have another beer, soda, etc.

Figured having an occasional Coke Zero, while no 100% healthy, was a better option and at least sufficed the urge to have something besides water.
It is. I'm fairly sure I lost most of my weight by not drinking soda anymore. Real soda, that is. I still have a Coke Zero every day. And I drink a Powerade Zero at work. Both are zero points.

Honestly, you're destined to just put the weight back on unless you commit to eating healthy and living healthy.

If going to the gym isn't for you (and I HATE going to the gym as well), you'll have to find something that works for you. I'm sure there is some sort of physical activity that you would enjoy. Running, biking, swimming, tennis, whatever. Find what it is and go for it.

Good luck!
Yeah, I get that. That is why I went with Weight Watchers. My wife's uncle is an Advocare rep and was trying to sell me their 24 day challenge. I wanted something that was more of a lifestyle change.

Doesn't mean it doesn't suck though.

:lmao: :lmao:

Perhaps it's just me, but I see no reason to drink Coke Zero. When I drink something that I know isn't good for me, it's going to be beer. If you need the caffeine, be a grow up and drink coffee.

Perhaps it's just me, but I see no reason to drink Coke Zero. When I drink something that I know isn't good for me, it's going to be beer. If you need the caffeine, be a grow up and drink coffee.
Drink coffee at work. Been trying to cut that down a bit too.

It is just you.

I'm actually looking forward to chronicling my penis size as well. They say for every 30 lbs you lose you gain an inch or so. I'll let you guys know if that is true when I get down 90 lbs.

Good luck!
Yeah, I get that. That is why I went with Weight Watchers. My wife's uncle is an Advocare rep and was trying to sell me their 24 day challenge. I wanted something that was more of a lifestyle change.

Difference of opinion, I guess. I don't mind healthy eating, and I still love to be physically active. I'm just saying that you're coming into this thread talking about how much you hate healthy eating and hate working out, yet you're hoping to lose significant weight and (presumably) keep it off.

You'll lose a decent amount of weight just by eating less and drinking less crap...but it's not like you magically get to a point where you can go back to putting down a 6-pack and a 1/2-lb cheeseburger every night. If you want to keep it off, you need to commit...forever. And if you hate healthy eating, it's going to be a bigtime struggle to commit.

Grown ups really shouldn't be drinking soda.
I'm open to suggestions. What besides water? Water is good. I actually drink a ton of it. Even before I joined Weight Watchers I cut the sugary drinks out. About 3 weeks ago or so. Been drinking 90 % water, 5% coffee in that time frame. Would like some other options.

Drinks are where a ton of calories hide. And it's very easy to overindulge quickly. I suggest getting a couple cases of sparking water and some lemons/limes. Cut up lemons or limes and drink this. It'll make you feel like you're having a tasty drink when in reality its just water. Or get some iced green teas. This is about all I drink now.
:goodposting:

Like this idea.

I'm actually looking forward to chronicling my penis size as well. They say for every 30 lbs you lose you gain an inch or so. I'll let you guys know if that is true when I get down 90 lbs.
It's not so much that it grows, it's that your waistline recedes and your weenus is sticking out further. One of the main reasons I started the weight loss. I have a small penis and couldn't afford to lose any size at all.

So I've decided I don't want to be a fat ### anymore and decided to make some life changes and lose the weight I've gained in the past 40 years. Long story short, I've treated my body like an amusement park ride and it shows. I need to lose 100 lbs. That's right. 100lbs. Slowly put on weight over the years and then tore up my knee a number of years back. Stopped playing basketball and whatever.

I also love beer. LOVE IT. I can spend hours in a Total Wine store putting together 6 packs!

My wife has gotten back into shape losing 50 lbs on Weight Watchers. Now she has turned into a gym rat and expects me to like it too.

I joined Weight Watchers for Men last week (partially inspired by the Iron Sheik thread where he lost 40 el bees). Week 1 will be over tomorrow. It's been pretty easy because my wife already knows the system. Helps with pointing out what is bad, etc.

I HATE EATING HEALTHY. I HATE GOING TO THE GYM. I'm going to stick with it because I'm pushing 40, have a family history of heart disease and enough is enough.

So.. When does the gym become "fun" or will it never become fun? I've stopped drinking anything with sugar (Mt. Dew, etc) and replaced it with water. That has actually been better than I expected. Don't really miss it. If I get the urge for a soda I'll grab a Coke Zero or something. Maybe once a week. That is down from 3-4 cans per day.

Not much point to this thread except somewhere to make the public declaration that I am going to lose 100 lbs. That way the FFA can berate me if I haven't reached my goal this time next year. :D .

Wish me luck and to all the younger FFA peoples out there.. Stop drinking and eating like a ####### or one day you will find yourself having to sweat your balls off on an elliptical while your wife rips off miles and miles making you feel like a weakling.
Start hiding money. Never a great sign when the wife decides to get fit and the husband is lagging way behind. Much hotter guys than you are going to notice her now.

Good luck!

Difference of opinion, I guess. I don't mind healthy eating, and I still love to be physically active. I'm just saying that you're coming into this thread talking about how much you hate healthy eating and hate working out, yet you're hoping to lose significant weight and (presumably) keep it off.

You'll lose a decent amount of weight just by eating less and drinking less crap...but it's not like you magically get to a point where you can go back to putting down a 6-pack and a 1/2-lb cheeseburger every night. If you want to keep it off, you need to commit...forever. And if you hate healthy eating, it's going to be a bigtime struggle to commit.
Yep. This is my problem. I know this can't be a short term "diet". Won't work. I've watched my wife change her lifestyle and keep the weight off. I know it can be done. I just don't know that I can do it the way she has. She gained a ton of weight and found out she had thyroid cancer. I guess maybe hearing the C word is enough to make you commit to being healthy. I don't want to wait until something like that happens though.

good luck with it.

last year i lost 62 pounds.

from jan until now i put nearly 45 of them back on. losing isn't that tough. keeping it off is. tasker is dead on - it needs to be a lifestyle change.

but man i love a few beers and a cheesesteak.

Start hiding money. Never a great sign when the wife decides to get fit and the husband is lagging way behind. Much hotter guys than you are going to notice her now.

She already has giant cans so i don't have to worry about her getting a boob job. That's usually another tell tale sign I hear.

Good luck!

Yep. This is my problem. I know this can't be a short term "diet". Won't work. I've watched my wife change her lifestyle and keep the weight off. I know it can be done. I just don't know that I can do it the way she has. She gained a ton of weight and found out she had thyroid cancer. I guess maybe hearing the C word is enough to make you commit to being healthy. I don't want to wait until something like that happens though.
What jerk called you a ####?

80% diet is no joke, don't drink calories (especially alcohol)

small changes every week or two is the best bet, requires strong discipline, but don't beat yourself up if you cheat - if you do that you quit, don't quit. If you need to cheat have 1 cheat meal a week, don't do a full blown cheat day, don't get black out drunk and don't go overboard - think of it as a reward for all of the good stuff you did during the week.

Drive to work? Park your car a little further away from your building entrance, do the same thing if you go grocery shopping. Every little bit helps.

Grown ups really shouldn't be drinking soda.
I'm open to suggestions. What besides water? Water is good. I actually drink a ton of it. Even before I joined Weight Watchers I cut the sugary drinks out. About 3 weeks ago or so. Been drinking 90 % water, 5% coffee in that time frame. Would like some other options.
The only suggestion I would have is not to drink soda. Maybe on rare occasions, but soda, energy drinks, sport drinks, juice...they aren't good options. I don't think diet sodas are good at all.

I drink way too much beer. That's my major weakness, so freely ignore me. I need to lose 20 pounds and plan to jump back on the 5:2 fasting diet which led to 15 pounds of weight loss in the spring. This summer, I didn't exercise regularly and drank like a fool.

The best thing about the gym is that there are a ton of REALLY nice looking women in there. I saw a early 20s, amazingly fit girl the last time we were there and it was just a thing of beauty! The worst part about the gym is going with the wife and her just destroying me physically on anything except lifting weights. I can still out bench her! :thumbup:

Good luck!

This guy has "Sticks with it 2 weeks, drops 7lbs then gets frustrated and fails miserably" written all over him. Lose 100lbs? This guy's gonna be lucky to lose 10 or 20. I know because I used to have the same mindset.

She already has giant cans so i don't have to worry about her getting a boob job. That's usually another tell tale sign I hear.
Problem of course being that naturals are that much nicer than bolt-ons. You've got your work cut out for you my friend.

Another pressing issue is my son is a wrestler for a Division I college. He thinks he is a bad ### and super healthy. I want to drop some weight so he and I can square up on a basketball court again. I used to kick the crap out of him until I put on too much weight. No wrestler should be beating me on a basketball court. There is a reason they are WRESTLERS!

Good luck!

This guy has "Sticks with it 2 weeks, drops 7lbs then gets frustrated and fails miserably" written all over him. Lose 100lbs? This guy's gonna be lucky to lose 10 or 20. I know because I used to have the same mindset.
I'm not denying this. That is partially why I made this thread. I know I have warning signs written all over me. Thought the public ridicule and occasional advice might help.

Good luck!

I'm not denying this. That is partially why I made this thread. I know I have warning signs written all over me. Thought the public ridicule and occasional advice might help.
You can do it. If I can help in anyway, let me know. :thumbup:

1) First and foremost, good luck.

2) Unless you are committing to a specialized regiment like P90-X or Insanity, exercise should not be the chore you make it out to be. Don't like the gym? I don't either. I'll go when I need to during the week but will rip up on the volleyball/basketball courts on the weekends. One, it's a lot more fun so getting started is easier, and two, I push myself harder to win and keep winning rather than kill time on the bike or treadmill. Tennis would work too, as someone suggested, as long as you're with/against someone who will physically push you in intensity and duration. Only if these are not options would I opt for the gym to be your primary outlet.

3) If you try to change your eating habits, you'll be surprised how quickly your tastes will change. I went from days where I would down 6 soft drinks to quitting cold turkey. Haven't had one since 10/26/07. By the end of the following month, I lost any craving for colas. I still have the occasional craving for root beer or Mexican soda, but fight that urge with hard candy. In that vein, hard candy is your friend. If you crave something sweet, either your mouth is bored (yeah, I know how that sounds but it's true), or your body needs energy. If it's the latter, grab a piece of fruit and a carrot. If the former, pop a cinnamon disc, root beer barrell, etc, AND DON'T CHEW. 1 candy per day max.

4) Stocking up is perhaps the most important thing regarding eating right. Remember, you want to eat RIGHT, which is not the same as eating LESS. At home and work, have an ample supply of vegetables, fruits, and lean proteins as well as a variety of nuts and dried fruit for snacks. Do not buy a single soda, candy, bag of chips,etc for later use. When you FIRST get hungry, eat some of your food. SIx meals a day is optimun, tho not realistic for many, but you want to eat good food as soon as you feel the need to. If you feel the need for something sweet but are unspecific, try fruit first. If you really need something else by the next day, you can indulge occasionally. But only buy one single serving no more than once a week. You'll find that if you have the choice of getting out of the house and driving to the store for ONE cookie or just grabbing an apple, the apple will usually win. And if you just need a bad sweet fix, candy without nougat is always better than a cookie, cake slice, or other doughy thing.

5) Reward progress, but not with food. Feel you've turned the corner with exercise? Or hit a milestone number on the scale? Good. Go out to see that movie you've been waiting for or try the new golf course you've been thinking about. Or go fishing. Whatever works for you.

6) Finally, reiterating point 1, good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
17seconds said:
Here's what has worked for me. Get into running. Eventually you'll be addicted. It will take months to get to that point but once you get there it will drive you nuts if you don't run at least 20mi a week.

I eat everything I want and drink tons of beer and my weight doesn't change. If I want to drop a few pounds I reduce calories for a couple of weeks and it comes off fast. Then I continue in my normal eat/drink a lot and run a lot mode and my weight stays there.
I have a couple friends that run. Run crap on the weekends and stuff. Would be fun. Doc told me straight up that running would be terrible on my knee. Tore it up playing basketball with my son and ended up needing a new ACL and a post lateral corner repair (which was 2x and extensive, painful, and damaging than the ACL tear).

Running on pavement is out.

1) First and foremost, good luck how are you?

2) Unless you are committing to a specialized regiment like P90-X or Insanity, exercise should not be the chore you make it out to be. Don't like the gym? I don't either. I'll go when I need to during the week but will rip up on the volleyball/basketball courts on the weekends. One, it's a lot more fun so getting started is easier, and two, I push myself harder to win and keep winning rather than kill time on the bike or treadmill. Tennis would work too, as someone suggested, as long as you're with/against someone who will physically push you in intensity and duration. Only if these are not options would I opt for the gym to be your primary outlet.

3) If you try to change your eating habits, you'll be surprised how quickly your tastes will change. I went from days where I would down 6 soft drinks to quitting cold turkey. Haven't had one since 10/26/07. By the end of the following month, I lost any craving for colas. I still have the occasional craving for root beer or Mexican soda, but fight that urge with hard candy. In that vein, hard candy is your friend. If you crave something sweet, either your mouth is bored (yeah, I know how that sounds but it's true), or your body needs energy. If it's the latter, grab a piece of fruit and a carrot. If the former, pop a cinnamon disc, root beer barrell, etc, AND DON'T CHEW. 1 candy per day max.

5) Stocking up is perhaps the most important thing regarding eating right. Remember, you want to eat RIGHT, which is not the same as eating LESS. At home and work, have an ample supply of vegetables, fruits, and lean proteins as well as a variety of nuts and dried fruit for snacks. Do not buy a single soda, candy, bag of chips,etc for later use. When you FIRST get hungry, eat some of your food. SIx meals a day is optimun, tho not realistic for many, but you want to eat good food as soon as you feel the need to. If you feel the need for something sweet but are unspecific, try fruit first. If you really need something else by the next day, you can indulge occasionally. But only buy one single serving no more than once a week. You'll find that if you have the choice of getting out of the house and driving to the store for ONE cookie or just grabbing an apple, the apple will usually win. And if you just need a bad sweet fix, candy without nougat is always better than a cookie, cake slice, or other doughy thing.

6) Reward progress, but not with food. Feel you've turned the corner with exercise? Or hit a milestone number on the scale? Good. Go out to see that movie you've been waiting for or try the new golf course you've been thinking about. Or go fishing. Whatever works for you.

7) Finally, reiterating point 1, good luck.
Fixed

Another pressing issue is my son is a wrestler for a Division I college. He thinks he is a bad ### and super healthy. I want to drop some weight so he and I can square up on a basketball court again. I used to kick the crap out of him until I put on too much weight. No wrestler should be beating me on a basketball court. There is a reason they are WRESTLERS!
Join a basketball league for O40 guys. They have them all over the place. My dad joined one and using the game he plays once a week as his only workout and has lost noticeable weight.

It's not so much that it grows, it's that your waistline recedes and your weenus is sticking out further. One of the main reasons I started the weight loss. I have a small penis and couldn't afford to lose any size at all.
Really Sheiky baby? You always said you humbled men with your massive ****

This is obviously an inconvenience for you and you will most likely burn and fade.

So my thoughts are simple.

Take everyone's advice here...and only do a 3rd of it.

Eat a bit better, exercise a bit more and set a moderate expectation.

Your goal is to lose 15lbs by the end of the year. Next year, reevaluate and set a similar moderate goal. 20 more lbs by the summer?

This way you are not going crazy with something you obviously don't want to do, you can still indulge, and you don't have to become a gym rat.

if you develop a love for anything, build on it.
If not at least you you are not miserable.

Users who are viewing this thread