What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I hate eating healthy and working out. HATE IT. (1 Viewer)

I guess we're all different, but I have a hard time believing anyone can't find 3 hrs/week of free time. You could make 2 of the days weekends. As for why, even other than the obvious health benefits, I'm betting that once you started to do it, you may find that picking up and putting down increasingly heavier things taps into your inner-caveman just a bit. We are men after all. Also, I'm going to guess that wifey certainly wouldn't complain about any kind of improvements to your body it may produce. Plus there's some that suggest that building muscle may increase your testosterone. As I age, testosterone is something that I dearly want to hold onto.

Big difference between being able to find the time and wanting to spend the little time you have on something you don't like doing. If it wasn't for vanity and finding an activity that I really enjoy, I would certainly be apart of the overweight majority.

A legit question, what problem do some folks have with working out? I'm going to guess that the typical FBG is > 30 and weight training has many many beneficial outcomes. Is 1 hour, 3x a week too much of a time commitment? Does it hurt too much? I can't wrap my head around why so many people refuse to workout.
I am almost 40. I have never liked working out. It's boring and I can think of a million other things I'd rather do than be at a gym picking things up and putting them down. That said, now I have a family. So that adds another million or more things I'd rather do than be at a gym.

I honestly can't wrap my head around why people want to workout.
You mean other than the obvious 2 of health and vanity?
Neither of my grandparents ever worked out and they lived into their 90's. They also were pretty damn good looking.
I'm sure there's people smoking into their 80's as well. Doesn't mean that the recommended path to follow in order to maximize your lifespan.

I guess we're all different, but I have a hard time believing anyone can't find 3 hrs/week of free time. You could make 2 of the days weekends. As for why, even other than the obvious health benefits, I'm betting that once you started to do it, you may find that picking up and putting down increasingly heavier things taps into your inner-caveman just a bit. We are men after all. Also, I'm going to guess that wifey certainly wouldn't complain about any kind of improvements to your body it may produce. Plus there's some that suggest that building muscle may increase your testosterone. As I age, testosterone is something that I dearly want to hold onto.
We are different. And there's nothing wrong with that. I'm not judging you one bit.

A legit question, what problem do some folks have with working out? I'm going to guess that the typical FBG is > 30 and weight training has many many beneficial outcomes. Is 1 hour, 3x a week too much of a time commitment? Does it hurt too much? I can't wrap my head around why so many people refuse to workout.
I am almost 40. I have never liked working out. It's boring and I can think of a million other things I'd rather do than be at a gym picking things up and putting them down. That said, now I have a family. So that adds another million or more things I'd rather do than be at a gym.

Neither of my grandparents ever worked out and they lived into their 90's. They also were pretty damn good looking.
I'm sure there's people smoking into their 80's as well. Doesn't mean that the recommended path to follow in order to maximize your lifespan.
I was making a joke. This board sure has gotten touchy about all subjects since I used to be here.

When I was a kid, the older generation used to say that they spent too much time at work and wished they had spent more time with their loved ones. Someday, people will say the same thing about choosing an hour at the gym over time with their family.

I'm happy with the way I look. I've been blessed with amazingly good looks. Seriously. Amazing good looks. I feel bad for people who are 8's or below who have to go to the gym to get their body in a shape that makes their face look better. It's like ugly women with fake boobs.

But because of my fortunate outcome in life's crap shoot on looks, I am able to spend more time with my kid and my girl. And that makes me happy. And it makes them happy. And that's better than any workout I could ever do.

I was making a joke. This board sure has gotten touchy about all subjects since I used to be here.
May I suggest a :) or a :lol: next time. Without a visual queue, how's one to know.

We are different. And there's nothing wrong with that. I'm not judging you one bit.
Appreciate that. And, may I say that it's great that you're back and posting again. Your posts gave me many lolz during the time you were active here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Appreciate that. And, may I say that it's great that you're back and posting again. Your posts gave me many lolz during the time you were active here.
I appreciate the kind words. :thumbsup:

When I was a kid, the older generation used to say that they spent too much time at work and wished they had spent more time with their loved ones. Someday, people will say the same thing about choosing an hour at the gym over time with their family.

I'm happy with the way I look. I've been blessed with amazingly good looks. Seriously. Amazing good looks. I feel bad for people who are 8's or below who have to go to the gym to get their body in a shape that makes their face look better. It's like ugly women with fake boobs.

But because of my fortunate outcome in life's crap shoot on looks, I am able to spend more time with my kid and my girl. And that makes me happy. And it makes them happy. And that's better than any workout I could ever do.
Me too.

How do you ugly ####s live with yourselves?

To me, the WORST thing you can do is tell yourself you are never going to eat anything good again. Nobody can live up to that.

I made a few simple rules for myself and I've lost 30 lbs. Now, granted, I didn't need to lose 100 lbs, but this has worked for me. I still want to lose another 10 lbs, but I am pretty comfortable right now and my doctor is thrilled with my counts right now.

1. I ride 5 miles a day on my stationary bike. It takes me about 15 minutes. Work up to trying to ride between 20-25 mph. Sprint the last half a mile. When this becomes too easy, add another half a mile or a longer sprint. Since I don't like to work out more than about 15 or 20 minutes, I add another .25 mile sprint. Also, the bike should be in front of a TV. Makes the time go faster.

2. During the week, watch what you eat carefully. Measure your servings and only eat 1 serving of whatever you are eating. Eat about 5 smaller meals a day. About every 3 hours. Your plate should have half veggies. So, we serve a veggie or a salad with everything.

3. Drink 64 oz of water every day

4. If you have something that is not good for you and you crave it, eat it, but eat a small amount of it. For me, that thing is chocolate, so I keep a bag of the fun size Hershey's in the house. If I have a craving, I eat two of those. For soft drinks, if you have to have one, buy some of the 100 calorie cans.

5. Eat breakfast every morning.

6. On the weekends, don't worry about it as much. If you go out to eat, eat what you want. Cut back in small ways. If you want to eat steak, eat the smaller one. Ask for potato toppings on the side so you can moderate what you put on it. Eat lighter dressings like italian, instead of the ranch. Split a dessert.

7. Weigh yourself every week. This is especially important when you get to your goal or close to it. Don't let it get back out of control.

8. Try and cut back on white stuff, but don't kill yourself. If you can deal with wheat pasta and wheat tortillas, eat those. If you are like me and think that nothing ruins gumbo more than brown rice, don't eat it. Eat the white, just watch your portions.
I have lost 110 pounds since January. My last month I have held steady which has been the plan.Going to crank back up the weight loss next week.

1. - I walk instead of the biking because it easier on my knees

2. - The amount of times one eats is irrelevant but it can it make easier in the beginning eating those five smaller meals.

3. - I am closer to 100 ounces a day but I have always been a heavy drinker of whatever it is I am drinking

4. - My kryptonite is chinese especially General Tso. So I decided to have it the first friday of every month. That was my reward for a job well done for a month.

5. - sure

6. - Be careful here. Their isn't a bigger trap imo while trying to lose weight than cheat days. Stay under your calorie budget at all times using an app like MyFitnessPal or my personal favorite Lose It. Enjoy an occasional night out sure, but make sure to take it easy the rest of the day. If you do cheat days you will never allow your stomach to shrink so you will never lose that original hunger pain that you want to get rid of.

7. - Once a week is fine but I weight myself every day to avoid those fluke weigh ins. Just have to realize that there will be fluctuations. Weighing daily makes it easier to track the steady loss and to see what kind of foods consistently cause to gain weight/lose weight (remember you should be tracking every calorie you intake use an app)

8. - I agree here. Eat what you like - just watch your portions and again make sure they all fit into your calorie count

just one mans opinion

I'll add that joining a site like diet bet is good. Forces you to put up or shut with a small amount of money on the line. Extra motivation doesn't hurt.
Losing weight is 80% diet so focus on that - find some sort of physical activity you enjoy and stick with it - for me that's lifting heavy 3 times a week and I'm going to look into that desk-cycle for work (every little bit helps).

Also I've lost 45lbs the last 15lbs of it I've used a IIFYM approach (read about it on the bodybuilding forum). Basically you eat whatever you want you just keep your macros ratios at a certain threashold ie (200g of carbs 60g of fat 140g of protein) - also you keep your calories down where you will be losing weight.

It's great I eat whatever I want and in the last 60 days I've dropped 15lbs. On the weekend I indulge a little bit and it actually helps to spike your leptin levels which helps you lose weight.

I stil have about 45lbs to go (I started at 265 and want to get to 175) - but yeah definately concentrate on your daily calorie intake and EAT whatever the heck you want.

If you feel like Pizza eat it - heck I eat pizza 3 times a week (McCain Ultra thin crust - a whole one is around 600 cals).
Wow, I'm impressed with the amount of weight you guys have dropped. Big Congrats :thumbup:

I loved playing football, I ####### hated the windsprints at the end of of practice. Not sure why you don't get it. It's not finding the time, it's the desire. The hardest thing about going to the gym is driving there.

TheIronSheik said:
NutterButter said:
TheIronSheik said:
NutterButter said:
TheIronSheik said:
James Daulton said:

I was making a joke. This board sure has gotten touchy about all subjects since I used to be here.When I was a kid, the older generation used to say that they spent too much time at work and wished they had spent more time with their loved ones. Someday, people will say the same thing about choosing an hour at the gym over time with their family.

Compensating for the wee penis good buddy? It's ok, as you said, everyone's different.

Invisible Sky Wizard said:
To me, the WORST thing you can do is tell yourself you are never going to eat anything good again. Nobody can live up to that.

I made a few simple rules for myself and I've lost 30 lbs. Now, granted, I didn't need to lose 100 lbs, but this has worked for me. I still want to lose another 10 lbs, but I am pretty comfortable right now and my doctor is thrilled with my counts right now.

1. I ride 5 miles a day on my stationary bike. It takes me about 15 minutes. Work up to trying to ride between 20-25 mph. Sprint the last half a mile. When this becomes too easy, add another half a mile or a longer sprint. Since I don't like to work out more than about 15 or 20 minutes, I add another .25 mile sprint. Also, the bike should be in front of a TV. Makes the time go faster.

2. During the week, watch what you eat carefully. Measure your servings and only eat 1 serving of whatever you are eating. Eat about 5 smaller meals a day. About every 3 hours. Your plate should have half veggies. So, we serve a veggie or a salad with everything.

3. Drink 64 oz of water every day

4. If you have something that is not good for you and you crave it, eat it, but eat a small amount of it. For me, that thing is chocolate, so I keep a bag of the fun size Hershey's in the house. If I have a craving, I eat two of those. For soft drinks, if you have to have one, buy some of the 100 calorie cans.

5. Eat breakfast every morning.

6. On the weekends, don't worry about it as much. If you go out to eat, eat what you want. Cut back in small ways. If you want to eat steak, eat the smaller one. Ask for potato toppings on the side so you can moderate what you put on it. Eat lighter dressings like italian, instead of the ranch. Split a dessert.

7. Weigh yourself every week. This is especially important when you get to your goal or close to it. Don't let it get back out of control.

8. Try and cut back on white stuff, but don't kill yourself. If you can deal with wheat pasta and wheat tortillas, eat those. If you are like me and think that nothing ruins gumbo more than brown rice, don't eat it. Eat the white, just watch your portions.
I have lost 110 pounds since January. My last month I have held steady which has been the plan.Going to crank back up the weight loss next week.

1. - I walk instead of the biking because it easier on my knees

2. - The amount of times one eats is irrelevant but it can it make easier in the beginning eating those five smaller meals.

3. - I am closer to 100 ounces a day but I have always been a heavy drinker of whatever it is I am drinking

4. - My kryptonite is chinese especially General Tso. So I decided to have it the first friday of every month. That was my reward for a job well done for a month.

5. - sure

6. - Be careful here. Their isn't a bigger trap imo while trying to lose weight than cheat days. Stay under your calorie budget at all times using an app like MyFitnessPal or my personal favorite Lose It. Enjoy an occasional night out sure, but make sure to take it easy the rest of the day. If you do cheat days you will never allow your stomach to shrink so you will never lose that original hunger pain that you want to get rid of.

7. - Once a week is fine but I weight myself every day to avoid those fluke weigh ins. Just have to realize that there will be fluctuations. Weighing daily makes it easier to track the steady loss and to see what kind of foods consistently cause to gain weight/lose weight (remember you should be tracking every calorie you intake use an app)

8. - I agree here. Eat what you like - just watch your portions and again make sure they all fit into your calorie count

just one mans opinion

I'll add that joining a site like diet bet is good. Forces you to put up or shut with a small amount of money on the line. Extra motivation doesn't hurt.
Losing weight is 80% diet so focus on that - find some sort of physical activity you enjoy and stick with it - for me that's lifting heavy 3 times a week and I'm going to look into that desk-cycle for work (every little bit helps).

Also I've lost 45lbs the last 15lbs of it I've used a IIFYM approach (read about it on the bodybuilding forum). Basically you eat whatever you want you just keep your macros ratios at a certain threashold ie (200g of carbs 60g of fat 140g of protein) - also you keep your calories down where you will be losing weight.

It's great I eat whatever I want and in the last 60 days I've dropped 15lbs. On the weekend I indulge a little bit and it actually helps to spike your leptin levels which helps you lose weight.

I stil have about 45lbs to go (I started at 265 and want to get to 175) - but yeah definately concentrate on your daily calorie intake and EAT whatever the heck you want.

If you feel like Pizza eat it - heck I eat pizza 3 times a week (McCain Ultra thin crust - a whole one is around 600 cals).
Wow, I'm impressed with the amount of weight you guys have dropped. Big Congrats :thumbup:
One of the mfp crew is getting ready to cross 200# lost.

TheIronSheik said:
NutterButter said:
TheIronSheik said:
NutterButter said:
TheIronSheik said:
James Daulton said:

I was making a joke. This board sure has gotten touchy about all subjects since I used to be here.When I was a kid, the older generation used to say that they spent too much time at work and wished they had spent more time with their loved ones. Someday, people will say the same thing about choosing an hour at the gym over time with their family.

Compensating for the wee penis good buddy? It's ok, as you said, everyone's different.
:lol: God couldn't have given me everything great. Small weenus, stunning looks. It's a fair trade off.

So what's up with top dog these days? Any updates?
Still on course with the program. Actually feeling happier about eating healthier. Still hate working out, but I'm digging the food change. I haven't really been hungry, so that is a good thing. Instead of grabbing a bag of chips out of the vending machine at work, I'll grab an apple, banana, or grapes. Forgot how good those actually were...

So.. 10 days into WW I am not so angry about the eating healthier part, but still think working out is the suck.

They're just not as good at life as you, I guess

They're just not as good at life as you, I guess
It's a "legit" question. :mellow:

Its not one hour three times a week. Its getting your gym clothes together, going to the gym, doing an hour of something, getting home, showering, and then doing the rest of your stuff. And its hard to work out after dinner and/or right before bed, so it has to be in that window right after work, which directly conflicts with some prime time hours in your day. Want to stay late at work to finish that project? Guess the gym will have to wait. Meet buddies for a beer after work? Can't, have to work out. But that's not a big deal if you're single. You can get takeout at nine, or go to the gym whenever you want, set your own schedule and look as good as possible, which is important, because you're going out meeting girls, and there's a reward for looking like a gym rat. And even after you get married, you're both kind of rooting for each other to keep looking good, and you support each other in your workouts.

But when you're married and have kids, things change all over again. Need to pick the kids up at day care? You better pick them up on time or they charge you a dollar a minute. And then once you have the kids, there's things like watching the kids and feeding the kids. Of course, after a few years, the kids can kind of watch themselves, but if you have more than one kid, the clock starts all over again. Which is why a lot of people start waking up early to go to the gym, but that's a hard habit to get into, and your willpower is at its lowest when you first wake up. Its so easy to hit the snooze button or tell yourself you'll go tomorrow. But if you can overcome these seemingly small but very real hurdles, you and your wife can both work out consistently - just not at the same time. Which means that every hours you're on the treadmill or lifting weights is an hour that she hs to wtch the kids because of your "hobby". Which means if you have a real hobby, she's going to expect you to spend more time with the kids because she had to watch them extra while she was working out. And wives are like hourly contractors, they seem to remember that hour and a half that they watched the kids on Tuesday and bill you for three hours. But don't worry, while you're watching the kids over the weekend, they'll give you some light chores that you can do before the serious honeydews like fixing the leaky sink or mowing the lawn. And now your leisure time is cut up so much. worse thn just three hours a week, and you get annoyed with your wife and the constant obligations that make up parenthood. And those only get bigger, when the kids have soccer practice or oboe lessons or play dates. So you start to squeeze in fun whenever you can, because its getting squozen out of the rest of your nights and weekends, so you start dicking around on the internet at work, or joining a fantasy football league, and you find out that you don't get fired right away for screwing off at work. But you don't get promoted, either. And then the wife starts to get on you for not making more money.

And at that point, you start choosing between being a highly efficient robot at work, working out and superdadding and not having any time for your hobbies, or you can be a slouchy dad, slouchy at work, not really getting promoted, just floating along, but at least you're working out.

Or you can skip the gym, put your time in at work, be a good father, and not be a boring robot.

So #### you, single guys and annoying robots and most of all you newly married naive little pricks who think you know how life really works and picture having kids as being slightly more complex than getting a puppy. You're on my turf here, the turf of the married dad who sometimes doesn't have time to work out, and posts on internet forums during the day, and plays fantasy football and likes to watch some during the week. And we don't take kindly to the muscleheaded judgemental horse#### of you nine to fivers.

Oof. My bump for an update from TD has suddenly turned into a anti-working out #### storm. IDGAF if anyone works out, just asking a simple question.

Didn't mean to derail your topic TD. Carry on and continued success to you.

Push ups, pull ups, sit ups, dips one day. Squats (just do 30-50 with minimal weight in your hands), split squats, straight leg deadlifts the other day. You can do that every day, at home, with minimal weight (dumb bells) and get a great workout in less than an hour.

Bostonfred had a great rant above but that doesn't completely capture my issues with going to the gym. Maybe my perspective is a little different:

I hate working out - it's that simple. Don't get me wrong - I love sports. I love to compete. In my younger days, I used to play lots of soccer, wrestling, cross country, track, intramural football, volleyball, I love riding my bike, hiking, etc. These things are fun. I've always considered practice to be a means to the end - something you have to do to be successful in your given sport. I never especially enjoyed practice, especially the weight training part. It's a means to an end.

Now that I'm an old man, going to the gym has no real point. It's like practice without the competition. It's everything I don't enjoy about sports, without the What is the ultimate goal of lifting weights? What am I training for? So I can lift bigger weights? So I can run on a treadmill a little faster, but not actually go anywhere? I guess so I can look better with my shirt off would be a good goal, but I'm not at all vain and don't really care...I'm in much better shape than 90% of 35+ married men anyways, so not really concerned about that.

I do recognize that I need to do something to be active - I mentioned the jiu-jitsu that I do previously. If it weren't for that, I'd be into recreational soccer leagues, running 5k's, mountain biking, things like that. There are plenty of ways to get moving that don't involve going to the gym.

Yeah, working out doesn't mean going to the gym. There are tons of programs that you can do with resistance bands and a floor mat in your house. Horton's 10 minute trainer is one of those. It really doesn't have to be much. Walking works too. Park your ### way away from a building. Stop thinking of exercise as a stop/start event you can flow it into your day. For awhile I took calls on a stationary bike, now when I get on a conf call I just walk around. I have apps where I can see the webex screen on my phone if I have to see something.

If only people weren't so programmed to equate being healthy and exercising with going to the gym, I think we'd be a lot better off health wise as a society. There are so many more enjoyable things to do outside than being stuck on some piece of equipment like a hamster in his wheel. Even just walking is so much more enjoyable if you did it around the neighborhood or if you're lucky enough at a nearby park than it is on a treadmill.

Any updates? Looking to start working out myself.
Down 16 lbs. Haven't been tracking points religiously but sticking to the general eating habits. Had a week where I gained 2 lbs.

With the Christmas Ales hitting the shelves now I know that I will need to hit the gym again. damn beer. I put the brakes on the gym as I was having pain in my knee and had to see the doc. Can't kneel on my left knee. He said that with the amount of damage I sustained to that knee, I was actually in better shape (knee wise) than expected. Basically said it was not worth doing a surgery to remove scar tissue,etc.. "Don't kneel" is what he said.

Biggest change for me has been avoiding the drive through. I can't believe how much better I feel NOT eating fast food. Not tired at work all the time, acid reflux has gotten to a point where I don't need to take the medicine anymore..

Went with a buddy of mine who is a work out freak to ****'s Sporting Goods to look at a bike. Will take up biking next spring (as some in this thread have suggested). Would MUCH rather do that than hit the gym.

On a side note my wife officially hit 60 lbs loss and looks phenomenal! Wears tight dresses and yoga pants now that she wouldn't wear when she was heavy. Total MILF. :tebow:

I took a "before" picture of myself on my phone so I can document the change when I get to my goal weight. I will post the before and after when I get there.

Its not one hour three times a week. Its getting your gym clothes together, going to the gym, doing an hour of something, getting home, showering, and then doing the rest of your stuff. And its hard to work out after dinner and/or right before bed, so it has to be in that window right after work, which directly conflicts with some prime time hours in your day. Want to stay late at work to finish that project? Guess the gym will have to wait. Meet buddies for a beer after work? Can't, have to work out. But that's not a big deal if you're single. You can get takeout at nine, or go to the gym whenever you want, set your own schedule and look as good as possible, which is important, because you're going out meeting girls, and there's a reward for looking like a gym rat. And even after you get married, you're both kind of rooting for each other to keep looking good, and you support each other in your workouts.

But when you're married and have kids, things change all over again. Need to pick the kids up at day care? You better pick them up on time or they charge you a dollar a minute. And then once you have the kids, there's things like watching the kids and feeding the kids. Of course, after a few years, the kids can kind of watch themselves, but if you have more than one kid, the clock starts all over again. Which is why a lot of people start waking up early to go to the gym, but that's a hard habit to get into, and your willpower is at its lowest when you first wake up. Its so easy to hit the snooze button or tell yourself you'll go tomorrow. But if you can overcome these seemingly small but very real hurdles, you and your wife can both work out consistently - just not at the same time. Which means that every hours you're on the treadmill or lifting weights is an hour that she hs to wtch the kids because of your "hobby". Which means if you have a real hobby, she's going to expect you to spend more time with the kids because she had to watch them extra while she was working out. And wives are like hourly contractors, they seem to remember that hour and a half that they watched the kids on Tuesday and bill you for three hours. But don't worry, while you're watching the kids over the weekend, they'll give you some light chores that you can do before the serious honeydews like fixing the leaky sink or mowing the lawn. And now your leisure time is cut up so much. worse thn just three hours a week, and you get annoyed with your wife and the constant obligations that make up parenthood. And those only get bigger, when the kids have soccer practice or oboe lessons or play dates. So you start to squeeze in fun whenever you can, because its getting squozen out of the rest of your nights and weekends, so you start dicking around on the internet at work, or joining a fantasy football league, and you find out that you don't get fired right away for screwing off at work. But you don't get promoted, either. And then the wife starts to get on you for not making more money.

And at that point, you start choosing between being a highly efficient robot at work, working out and superdadding and not having any time for your hobbies, or you can be a slouchy dad, slouchy at work, not really getting promoted, just floating along, but at least you're working out.

Or you can skip the gym, put your time in at work, be a good father, and not be a boring robot.

So #### you, single guys and annoying robots and most of all you newly married naive little pricks who think you know how life really works and picture having kids as being slightly more complex than getting a puppy. You're on my turf here, the turf of the married dad who sometimes doesn't have time to work out, and posts on internet forums during the day, and plays fantasy football and likes to watch some during the week. And we don't take kindly to the muscleheaded judgemental horse#### of you nine to fivers.
THANK YOU

POTY

Down 16 lbs. Haven't been tracking points religiously but sticking to the general eating habits. Had a week where I gained 2 lbs.

With the Christmas Ales hitting the shelves now I know that I will need to hit the gym again. damn beer. I put the brakes on the gym as I was having pain in my knee and had to see the doc. Can't kneel on my left knee. He said that with the amount of damage I sustained to that knee, I was actually in better shape (knee wise) than expected. Basically said it was not worth doing a surgery to remove scar tissue,etc.. "Don't kneel" is what he said.

Biggest change for me has been avoiding the drive through. I can't believe how much better I feel NOT eating fast food. Not tired at work all the time, acid reflux has gotten to a point where I don't need to take the medicine anymore..

Went with a buddy of mine who is a work out freak to ****'s Sporting Goods to look at a bike. Will take up biking next spring (as some in this thread have suggested). Would MUCH rather do that than hit the gym.

On a side note my wife officially hit 60 lbs loss and looks phenomenal! Wears tight dresses and yoga pants now that she wouldn't wear when she was heavy. Total MILF. :tebow:

I took a "before" picture of myself on my phone so I can document the change when I get to my goal weight. I will post the before and after when I get there.
Nice. Good work.

Christ I gotta get back on this horse.

THANK YOU

POTY
OMG, I'm now convinced. Dads with kids and 24hr jobs simply don't have the time to work out. We better let all those folks in the 10K thread know that they're either single, no-kids, or have dead-end jobs. Get this done stat! Also, all the folks I see in the gym at 6am or 9pm need to be let in on the secret. They're taking time away from their family for the love of all that is good!

Bostonfred had a great rant above but that doesn't completely capture my issues with going to the gym. Maybe my perspective is a little different:

I hate working out - it's that simple. Don't get me wrong - I love sports. I love to compete. In my younger days, I used to play lots of soccer, wrestling, cross country, track, intramural football, volleyball, I love riding my bike, hiking, etc. These things are fun. I've always considered practice to be a means to the end - something you have to do to be successful in your given sport. I never especially enjoyed practice, especially the weight training part. It's a means to an end.

Now that I'm an old man, going to the gym has no real point. It's like practice without the competition. It's everything I don't enjoy about sports, without the What is the ultimate goal of lifting weights? What am I training for? So I can lift bigger weights? So I can run on a treadmill a little faster, but not actually go anywhere? I guess so I can look better with my shirt off would be a good goal, but I'm not at all vain and don't really care...I'm in much better shape than 90% of 35+ married men anyways, so not really concerned about that.

I do recognize that I need to do something to be active - I mentioned the jiu-jitsu that I do previously. If it weren't for that, I'd be into recreational soccer leagues, running 5k's, mountain biking, things like that. There are plenty of ways to get moving that don't involve going to the gym.
:goodposting:

This captures me exactly. BostonFred's rant does a good job too.

This sounds way more interesting. What is her secret?

THANK YOU

POTY
OMG, I'm now convinced. Dads with kids and 24hr jobs simply don't have the time to work out. We better let all those folks in the 10K thread know that they're either single, no-kids, or have dead-end jobs. Get this done stat! Also, all the folks I see in the gym at 6am or 9pm need to be let in on the secret. They're taking time away from their family for the love of all that is good!
boring.robot.does.not.know.that.hes.a.boring.robot.

This sounds way more interesting. What is her secret?
After thinking about this, it may not be 60 lbs. I think she got all excited when it was 55. So I don't know if she actually has hit 60 yet. Either way it is a bunch of weight.

She started packing on the lbs after our youngest was born. I attributed it to "baby fat" that she hadn't gotten rid of. It didn't come off.. Kept creeping up. She tried dieting and working out but didn't see any results. We later found out she had thyroid cancer. Once they removed her thyroid and treated her with radioactive iodine she has been cancer free since.

She got tired of being fat and signed up for weight watchers. It has worked dramatically for her. The weight started coming off and she lost most of the weight without working out. She started working out later as the last lbs are hard to get off with just dieting.

Her success with the Weight Watchers program is what motivated me to give it a whirl.

THANK YOUPOTY
boring.robot.does.not.know.that.hes.a.boring.robot.
:lmao:

This, well done. #### you muscle heads ;-)

I'd have checked back in earlier but spent an hour today working out. Beep boop boop bleep bloop I am a robot.
This is really interesting and not boring at all. Tell me more about your workout. Maybe go into detail about the protein/carb/fat ratio of your dinner, too.

lol.

I actually joined a gym and have gone consistently, 3x a week for a month; really enjoying it.

I've taken up a power lifting routine to supplement my jiu jitsu. That's the ultimate goal, to be better at jiu jitsu and kickboxing. I started lifting when I had aspirations of MMA fighting but I think that's off the table, but the lifting is probably here to stay.

Here's how i'm doing it:

my daughter's school starts at 7:15 AM. I try to drop her off before 7:00 just to make sure she isn't late - the drop-off line can sometimes be a little long and it's much worse after 7:00 than before. This is my contribution to the household task list - it gives my wife a break, lets her get some extra zzzzz's, and lets me spend a little more time with my daughter. I had been coming into work immediately afterwards even though I don't need to be here until 8:30, but honestly if I stroll in at 9:00, no one bats an eye.

so, instead of being ridiculously early for work, I've taken up heading to the gym a couple days a week. If I can get to the gym by 7:15, I have a solid hour to work out, get a quick shower, and i'm at work by 9:00.

I think next week i'm going to start doing cardio MWF and lifting heavy on tues and thurs.

I'm still doing my kickboxing workouts 3-5 times a week. I get up at 5:45, get to the gym for the 6:30-7:30 class. I zip home, shower, and I'm at work by 8:30 or so each morning. It works out great, and I feel amazing. And I'm an old man...

Serious question for the big people. The OP said he needed to lose 100 pounds. How do you go that far? How come you don't stop at 30 or 50 pounds overweight? When you look in the mirror is 100 pounds over weight the first time you notice you may want to lose some weight.

Serious question for the big people. The OP said he needed to lose 100 pounds. How do you go that far? How come you don't stop at 30 or 50 pounds overweight? When you look in the mirror is 100 pounds over weight the first time you notice you may want to lose some weight.
I've known a lot of overweight people. It's really not that simple. A lot of people truly do have a food addiction or depression or some other type of issue that affects their weight. Also, all metabolisms are different. It's easy to point the finger at overweight people and tell them they are lazy. But it's a lot harder for some than others.

I have two daughters that were raised in the same house with the same food. One is overweight and one is as thin as a rail and can't gain weight no matter what she tries. One will always have weight issues to deal with and one probably never will.

I've known a lot of overweight people. It's really not that simple. A lot of people truly do have a food addiction or depression or some other type of issue that affects their weight. Also, all metabolisms are different. It's easy to point the finger at overweight people and tell them they are lazy. But it's a lot harder for some than others.

I have two daughters that were raised in the same house with the same food. One is overweight and one is as thin as a rail and can't gain weight no matter what she tries. One will always have weight issues to deal with and one probably never will.
:goodposting:

Everyone is different.

I've known a lot of overweight people. It's really not that simple. A lot of people truly do have a food addiction or depression or some other type of issue that affects their weight. Also, all metabolisms are different. It's easy to point the finger at overweight people and tell them they are lazy. But it's a lot harder for some than others.I have two daughters that were raised in the same house with the same food. One is overweight and one is as thin as a rail and can't gain weight no matter what she tries. One will always have weight issues to deal with and one probably never will.
:goodposting: Everyone is different.
I agree that everyone is different. I also don't understand how it can get that out of hand. Yes some people will have weight problems because of their genes or depression but to let it get to 100 pounds, that isn't genetic. Also everyone is capable of having a toned body. Hard work and a strict diet works for everyone.

I've known a lot of overweight people. It's really not that simple. A lot of people truly do have a food addiction or depression or some other type of issue that affects their weight. Also, all metabolisms are different. It's easy to point the finger at overweight people and tell them they are lazy. But it's a lot harder for some than others.I have two daughters that were raised in the same house with the same food. One is overweight and one is as thin as a rail and can't gain weight no matter what she tries. One will always have weight issues to deal with and one probably never will.
:goodposting: Everyone is different.
I agree that everyone is different. I also don't understand how it can get that out of hand. Yes some people will have weight problems because of their genes or depression but to let it get to 100 pounds, that isn't genetic. Also everyone is capable of having a toned body. Hard work and a strict diet works for everyone.
Yes. But it's easier for some to do that. Just because you can do it, doesn't mean everyone can. Just like a lot of people can keep from drinking until they black out, there are still people who have problems with that.

Users who are viewing this thread