What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I miss the old Monday Night Football (1 Viewer)

I wish Gruden would go back to coaching. Bad games are bad games, but his shtick combined with them is unbearable now.

Are you referring to the games themselves, or the booth coverage (or both)?

As far as the games go, I think there are just more really bad teams in the NFL. And good teams seem to go bad pretty quick... making for some lousy primetime football.

As far as the booth coverage goes, it's a matter of taste I suppose... but it's been worse (Dennis Miller, Kornheiser), and there will never be another Cossell (if you're going that far back).

Last edited by a moderator:
I miss Cosell's Halftime Highlights. There was nothing like it.

Pops used to let me stay up just to watch them, then it was lights out.

Sunday night is the new "showcase game" for the NFL. Monday night gets the leftovers.

I like Tirico well enough. Gruden is ok. The whole production just isn't what it once was though. The games are mediocre. The magic is gone.

I wish Gruden would go back to coaching. Bad games are bad games, but his shtick combined with them is unbearable now.
Wish we could get rid of Collinsworth on Sunday too. Gruden sucks worse because he pops up in college football games too. Not sure why CBS and FOX can do so much better in the booth than those two #######s.

I guess I dont understand why Seattle would allow the clock to run down once its goal to go. Either the Rams turn it over on downs, or they score a td and you need time to get your fg.

Gruden is just awful in the booth... far too smarmy. We get it, football used to be awesome and "they have to make those catches in the NFL!" We know. Ugh.

ah, the Cosell days, they are dearly missed...

I think Gruden's comments about players missing tackles/blocks/catches/etc 'in the NFL' as he says, is his cryptic way of telling us EXACTLY why coaches get tired and burn out.Madden used to say it when he was an announcer/analyst..it shows us why many coaches stay retired and in the broadcast booth and rarely return to the game..Gruden has a lot of knowledge of the college game, I think they're missing out by not teaming him with Musburger on Abc, or on college gameday. I think his enthusiasm would be great..Tirico is OK but just plain boring ..but what really brings down the MNF show is Chris Berman in pregame, halftime, etc. his schtick is very old and he's past his prime..lost his fastball, if you like...

for my two cents , I think they're also missing the boat on E. Mangini..he'd make a GREAT analyst.his play breakdowns are the best Ive seen..He's tremendous at it, telling it in layman's terms..He's just fantastic.

As far as the games go, I think there are just more really bad teams in the NFL. And good teams seem to go bad pretty quick... making for some lousy primetime football.

As far as the booth coverage goes, it's a matter of taste I suppose... but it's been worse (Dennis Miller, Kornheiser), and there will never be another Cossell (if you're going that far back).
Michaels, Gifford and Dierdorf will always be MNF to me.

I think the NFL is doing itself a disservice by allowing Monday Night Football to play second fiddle to Sunday Night Football.

MNF use to be event TV but now it is barely better than Thursday Night Football. The problem in my view with Sunday Night Football being the marquee game is that most football fans are burned out from watching football all day by the time it rolls around.

I'm usually pretty pleased when the fantasy week ends on Sunday and I don't have to suffer through MNF.

The Thursday - Monday weeks (five days!) are a real grind.

Folks say the NFL players have it rough, but fantasy players are out there five freaking days! Some might consider Friday and Saturday days "off" - but they're just cauldrons of anxious anticipation. This game is brutal!

Collinsworth is absolutely insufferable. I have no idea how someone can be so wack as to think we want a season"summarizing" cliche every single play.

I think it's being a fantasy football player that has ruined it to be honest. Instead of watching the games as an event we just watch our players and hope they get the touching. We lose the forest for the trees so to say.

Not even one mention of the great Dandy Don Meredith? Loved the disparaging comebacks that a sauced up Meredith would have going up against Cossell and Frank Gifford trying to mediate some peace. I miss those days. Cossell was an ###hole, and Dandy Don played his role perfectly opposite him. Miss those days. Tirico is so vanilla, and Gruden is bored most of the time. About all Gruden has anymore is his trademark scowl face. MNF is gone to pot.

Do they still try to pick a good matchup? Or does Sunday night get that now?
They try to get good match ups but 2 things work against them. 1st they have to make the schedule before the year, so they have to try to guess who will be good and injuries play a big part. 2nd all teams are guaranteed at least 1 prime time game a year.

Wish we could get rid of Collinsworth on Sunday too. Gruden sucks worse because he pops up in college football games too. Not sure why CBS and FOX can do so much better in the booth than those two #######s.
Yeah, Collinsworth and Gruden are both just awful. Both of them just get down on their knees and praise every player who does anything right. You'll watch a Monday Night game where Sanchez has a line of like 6/23 76 yards, 0 TDs, 4 INTs and he'll make one good pass then you get to hear Gruden "See, this is what the Jets and Rex Ryan love about this kid... his tenacity and ability to roll out of the pocket and make a good throw on the run. The Jets really are in love with this kid and you're seeing it first hand on the field tonight."

I love Gruden... But his style has changed and its wearing on me. The only thing worse than my Bucs getting their butts handed to them is listening to maybarf the entire game. We tried the radio but it was off almost ten seconds.

And good teams seem to go bad pretty quick... making for some lousy primetime football.
This is the problem. With the constant changes in the NFL, it's impossible to pick what will be good games in the offseason. On top of that, the obsession with the NFC East because of the ratings they pull in creates a ton of bad games in seasons like this.

The flex schedule is the best option, but trying to pull that off for an entire season for SNF and MNF would be nearly impossible logistically.

I'm usually pretty pleased when the fantasy week ends on Sunday and I don't have to suffer through MNF.
Same here. When I look at the schedule and see that my opponent and I don't have any fantasy players on MNF, it's always nice. I'll usually watch the game anyway, but at least I don't have to be super focused on it.

And good teams seem to go bad pretty quick... making for some lousy primetime football.

On top of that, the obsession with the NFC East because of the ratings they pull in creates a ton of bad games in seasons like this.
Please. According to this link, a total of 5 team slots will be from the NFC East:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/schedule/_/seasontype/0

Also 5 are the NFC North, 6 are the NFC South, 5 are NFC West,

and 4 are the AFC East, 3 the AFC North, 2 the AFC South, 4 the AFC West

I know it's common to hear people talk about an East Coast bias but it is trailer-park BS.

the #### Vermeil - Ron Jaworski pairing from 7 years ago is the best booth I've seen in a while. I wish they had stuck with that.

I get a kick out of watching Gruden... not listening.. watching.

Keep your eye on him. Even when he's not speaking. The lack of patience and excitement is hilarious.

He has a look on his face that only folks that are shredded on coke/oxy make... he's biting his lips and/or chomping air burgers and his eyes are lit up like xmas trees.

I'm neither a Rams or a Seahawks fan, but I thought last night was a pretty good game. It was fun to watch a dline truly dominate an oline when Sea was on offense. And you had the drama of the Rams trying to drive 98 yards to win the game, only to fall short on the 1.

Grudgen, as noted, sucks.

I'm addition you now have Sunday night games. Thursday night games. Some Saturday games. And Sunday ticket.

No longer are the days of getting two maybe three games on your TV to choose from, at the mercy of how good or bad your own team is for most of those games. Lots of people see lots of games.. The days of all nfl fans coming together on Mon night as if it were special is simply long gone. We're far more saturated.

I remember the Dennis Miller experiment. Everytime I put on a game I thought I had HBO on... That was just a disaster. Kornheiser sucks to haha. The commentary isn't bad, the games are just terrible lately.

Grudgen, as noted, sucks.

I'm addition you now have Sunday night games. Thursday night games. Some Saturday games. And Sunday ticket.

No longer are the days of getting two maybe three games on your TV to choose from, at the mercy of how good or bad your own team is for most of those games. Lots of people see lots of games.. The days of all nfl fans coming together on Mon night as if it were special is simply long gone. We're far more saturated.
Back when we watched the NFL on network television, Monday Night Football was an event. It was the one game the whole Nation was watching. The players understood the significance of that. The announcers understood it. The fans understood it. On Monday night, we invited our friends over, simmered a pot of chili or fired up the BBQ, broke out the queso and chips and immersed ourselves in football. On Tuesday morning, we went to work and talked about the MNF game. That magic no longer exists.

ah, the Cosell days, they are dearly missed...

I think Gruden's comments about players missing tackles/blocks/catches/etc 'in the NFL' as he says, is his cryptic way of telling us EXACTLY why coaches get tired and burn out.Madden used to say it when he was an announcer/analyst..it shows us why many coaches stay retired and in the broadcast booth and rarely return to the game..Gruden has a lot of knowledge of the college game, I think they're missing out by not teaming him with Musburger on Abc, or on college gameday. I think his enthusiasm would be great..Tirico is OK but just plain boring ..but what really brings down the MNF show is Chris Berman in pregame, halftime, etc. his schtick is very old and he's past his prime..lost his fastball, if you like...

for my two cents , I think they're also missing the boat on E. Mangini..he'd make a GREAT analyst.his play breakdowns are the best Ive seen..He's tremendous at it, telling it in layman's terms..He's just fantastic.
Oh, bull####. Herbstreit is 100x the commentator and talking head that Gruden is.

They absolutely HAVE TO CUT DOWN ON COMMERCIALS and devote more time to segments like sound bites where players are miked-up and they need to spread the luv around the league and not focus on only the same teams that we see every week.

Also for any commercials they run they should insist that they are new/fresh/entertaining and limit the mega-corporate commercials and open up spots for local small business' from the areas of the two teams who are playing.

Maybe hire local writers and local production units where they would do commercials that would highlight players/coaches/local celebrities from the teams who were playing. It would boost local pride.

The NFL would still get they get their revenue stream. By limiting the mindless tripe and making INTERESTING COMMERCIALS they would actually GAIN veiwership and create a buzz in the business while building more local relationships and they would provide jobs. Add, the NFLPA would love it because the league would be grooming players for post-playing broadcasting careers.

================

To make the games more watchable the producfion of the games has to change. The shots of fat fans in makeup suck. They need to show more replays so we, the fans, can actually see routes run by WRs and coverages and note schems, plays run, etc. We want more hard football knowledge and less BS tripe. How many GD shots do we need to see of coaches on the sidelines looking pensive? Oh wow, yet another shot of Bill Belichick with a stern looking expression on my face, I couldn't live without the millionth BS sideline shot of exactly the same thing. God, give it a rest. We don't want any more of that crap.

================

Coach press conferences are insufferable and it sucks so fine coaches if they use cliches to answer questions.

Fine them incrementally higher for each offense so they would 'HAVE' to actually THINK and come up with creative answers to questions posed to them.

================

Get the fans involved more. Put in noise meters for every NFL stadium so fans at every location would compete for the loudest crowd noise. Also if they did the local commercials make awards for the funniest, more entertaining, etc commercials to garner even more interest.

================

Put in strict time limits for booth reviews, no more five/ten minute booth reviews. Put in strict time limits for penalties. If they have to break up fights then that play isn't over but if the play is over the ref had better make the call and make it quick and keep the game moving along.

-----------------------------

The individual game action is going to be whatever it is going to be but the NFL CAN and SHOULD improve the product to the fans who watch games not just so we would like it but because it would improve their bottom line.

I miss Cosell's Halftime Highlights. There was nothing like it.
The music at 0:11 is :moneybag:
Used to sneak out of bed and hide in my parents room and watch MNF on mute. That's how I saw Dorsett's 99-yarder against the Vikes
Same thing for me. I remember clear as day watching that play unfold, going nuts, and should have gotten in trouble for sneking out....but my Dad being a Cowboy fan tucked me back in all happily.

They absolutely HAVE TO CUT DOWN ON COMMERCIALS and devote more time to segments like sound bites where players are miked-up and they need to spread the luv around the league and not focus on only the same teams that we see every week.

Also for any commercials they run they should insist that they are new/fresh/entertaining and limit the mega-corporate commercials and open up spots for local small business' from the areas of the two teams who are playing.

Maybe hire local writers and local production units where they would do commercials that would highlight players/coaches/local celebrities from the teams who were playing. It would boost local pride.

The NFL would still get they get their revenue stream. By limiting the mindless tripe and making INTERESTING COMMERCIALS they would actually GAIN veiwership and create a buzz in the business while building more local relationships and they would provide jobs. Add, the NFLPA would love it because the league would be grooming players for post-playing broadcasting careers.

================

To make the games more watchable the producfion of the games has to change. The shots of fat fans in makeup suck. They need to show more replays so we, the fans, can actually see routes run by WRs and coverages and note schems, plays run, etc. We want more hard football knowledge and less BS tripe. How many GD shots do we need to see of coaches on the sidelines looking pensive? Oh wow, yet another shot of Bill Belichick with a stern looking expression on my face, I couldn't live without the millionth BS sideline shot of exactly the same thing. God, give it a rest. We don't want any more of that crap.

================

Coach press conferences are insufferable and it sucks so fine coaches if they use cliches to answer questions.

Fine them incrementally higher for each offense so they would 'HAVE' to actually THINK and come up with creative answers to questions posed to them.

================

Get the fans involved more. Put in noise meters for every NFL stadium so fans at every location would compete for the loudest crowd noise. Also if they did the local commercials make awards for the funniest, more entertaining, etc commercials to garner even more interest.

================

Put in strict time limits for booth reviews, no more five/ten minute booth reviews. Put in strict time limits for penalties. If they have to break up fights then that play isn't over but if the play is over the ref had better make the call and make it quick and keep the game moving along.

-----------------------------

The individual game action is going to be whatever it is going to be but the NFL CAN and SHOULD improve the product to the fans who watch games not just so we would like it but because it would improve their bottom line.
:goodposting:

Users who are viewing this thread