What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I quit smoking! (2 Viewers)

10,000 not smoked!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tomorrow is 11 months too, but that is less significant than the 10K mark, IMO. $2K not spent.

Speaking of....yesterday was my draft and we had it at a bar. 1/2 the members of our league are smokers & let me tell ya....I thought i was going to be sick when I got home and smelled my clothes. Truly a disgusting habit I am happy to be done with.

Well, I've had a roller coaster ride the last few weeks. I fell off of the wagon a couple of times. Both times involved beer & carried over into the next day. That trigger is just too powerful for me right now. It's not like I get a nicotine craving so much as the idea of beer-&-cigs are too deeply intertwined for me. So, I need to stay away from the booze (or at least beer) for a good while.

One thing that was different this time around was that I didn't beat myself up for failing. In the past I would have cussed myself & just started smoking again, figuring I wasn't strong enough to do it. Not this time, though - I'm more resolute now than ever. So I'm 4 days in - again. I went back up to 21mg patches just in case, but I think the key is going to have to be staying away from alcohol.

Everything I did from the moment I woke up until I went to bed (and even sometimes in the middle of the night) were intertwined with smoking. Getting completely nicotine free for 72 hours & making a commitment to myself to never take another puff was the only solution that worked for me and thousands of others.

Spend a few hours reading the stuff at whyquit.com.....they know their stuff.

Just trying to help uruk-hai. The patch never worked for me....and I tried it several times over the years.

btw....15 days to one year. :football:

Everything I did from the moment I woke up until I went to bed (and even sometimes in the middle of the night) were intertwined with smoking. Getting completely nicotine free for 72 hours & making a commitment to myself to never take another puff was the only solution that worked for me and thousands of others.Spend a few hours reading the stuff at whyquit.com.....they know their stuff. Just trying to help uruk-hai. The patch never worked for me....and I tried it several times over the years.btw....15 days to one year. :thumbdown:
I appreciate it, tipsy. Very little of my problem is nicotine related at this point - the patch covers whatever's there for me. I'm a very patterned & habit-ed (?) person - extremely so, to the point of being obsessive about it. And those patterns are tough for me to break - once I do, I'm heading towards fine. I'm not far enough away from certain triggers like coffee & beer to handle them yet so i'm staying away. Driving (the 3rd biggie for me) I've already overcome.

Everything I did from the moment I woke up until I went to bed (and even sometimes in the middle of the night) were intertwined with smoking. Getting completely nicotine free for 72 hours & making a commitment to myself to never take another puff was the only solution that worked for me and thousands of others.Spend a few hours reading the stuff at whyquit.com.....they know their stuff. Just trying to help uruk-hai. The patch never worked for me....and I tried it several times over the years.btw....15 days to one year. :lmao:
I appreciate it, tipsy. Very little of my problem is nicotine related at this point - the patch covers whatever's there for me. I'm a very patterned & habit-ed (?) person - extremely so, to the point of being obsessive about it. And those patterns are tough for me to break - once I do, I'm heading towards fine. I'm not far enough away from certain triggers like coffee & beer to handle them yet so i'm staying away. Driving (the 3rd biggie for me) I've already overcome.
Good luck then man. I hope you can stay away from the triggers then.

I think I'm quite unusual that I quit smoking (all day, every day) about a year ago but have regular dips, maybe once or twice a week. If I'm with friends that smoke I'll most likely have one or two, if I'm with non-smokers or not going out I don't really think about it. I think I've been up to 3 weeks without a cig. I actually like it this way, I like smoking but by only having 2-3 a week I don't feel addicted in any way. I expect as I get older, go out less and other friends give up, my opportunities to smoke will grow further and further apart until one day I'll probably realise that I haven't smoked for months.

Good luck to you all though. I remember the feeling of not needing to smoke was very liberating.

One month today now. I've been absolutely clean during that time period. But I am one cranky mammyjammer. There's a guy in the Pool that I'm ready to seek out and punch in the throat and I never get like that on a stoopid message board. I've got to snap out of it soon.

btw....15 days to one year. :lmao:
I was just about to congratulate you on getting to nearly a year. I am about 3 months in at this point. Luckily, I am surrouinded by non-smokers and I live in a state where smoking is not allowed indoors. I tellya, it is MUCH easier to quit when the smokers have to remove themselves to do it.I was never heavy - a pack every four days or so - but I have never been able to completely kick the habit. This time feels different b/c it is combined with exercise and I really don't have any smokers around me. :ast time I quit, I made it 4 months or so and then hooked up and fell in love with a chick who smoked a pack+ a day. Once that was over, only a renewed addiction to cigarettes remained. Anyway, enough testimonial - congrats on nearly a year, Tipsy. I'll look for this thread to be bumped in a couple weeks.(p.s. - I am officially on the "bring back your old avatar" bandwagon - I love that fat little kid)

Two months now. I snuck one moldy old Marlboro Light out of somebody's desk drawer two weeks ago when I was working late by myself but that's been the only time I've even been close to a relapse. Didn't even like it very much so things are pretty much working -- my body is starting to reject cigs now instead of crave them.

Next big test is four weeks hence when I go off the Chantix. But it helps that I've broken a lotta habits and don't think about my next smoke all the time like I was. Put on about 10 pounds, though. That's the next project. Hoping for far better boners after I'm cleaned up and slimmed down. :thumbup:

Two months now. I snuck one moldy old Marlboro Light out of somebody's desk drawer two weeks ago when I was working late by myself but that's been the only time I've even been close to a relapse. Didn't even like it very much so things are pretty much working -- my body is starting to reject cigs now instead of crave them. Next big test is four weeks hence when I go off the Chantix. But it helps that I've broken a lotta habits and don't think about my next smoke all the time like I was. Put on about 10 pounds, though. That's the next project. Hoping for far better boners after I'm cleaned up and slimmed down. :popcorn:
:useless:

2 weeks shy of 3 years.It gets easier, right? :blackdot:
Please tell me it does.
There will always be moments that suck. When I see a cigarette get thrown out a car window, I instantly want one.I'll always have a moment or two when I'm on the golf course or at the poker table.The one's that's been getting me lately is some ####### friend of mine decided it was a good idea to become a social smoker after being quit for like 15 years. When out drinking, or whatever, he'll light up. Really pisses me off because I know if I have one, and just one, I'm done for.

2 weeks shy of 3 years.

It gets easier, right?

:goodposting:
Please tell me it does.
There will always be moments that suck.When I see a cigarette get thrown out a car window, I instantly want one.

I'll always have a moment or two when I'm on the golf course or at the poker table.

The one's that's been getting me lately is some ####### friend of mine decided it was a good idea to become a social smoker after being quit for like 15 years. When out drinking, or whatever, he'll light up. Really pisses me off because I know if I have one, and just one, I'm done for.
You sure?I was a rabid smoker and just recently quit (so I might be off here) but I've gone out and had a few smokes and not fallen back into it full time.

2 weeks shy of 3 years.

It gets easier, right?

:cry:
Please tell me it does.
There will always be moments that suck.When I see a cigarette get thrown out a car window, I instantly want one.

I'll always have a moment or two when I'm on the golf course or at the poker table.

The one's that's been getting me lately is some ####### friend of mine decided it was a good idea to become a social smoker after being quit for like 15 years. When out drinking, or whatever, he'll light up. Really pisses me off because I know if I have one, and just one, I'm done for.
You sure?I was a rabid smoker and just recently quit (so I might be off here) but I've gone out and had a few smokes and not fallen back into it full time.
I quit about a year and half ago. I'd be scared to death to test the theory. "Social Smokers" piss me off.ETA

just being in this thread makes me wanna fire up.

Last edited by a moderator:
2 weeks shy of 3 years.

It gets easier, right?

Please tell me it does.

I quit about a year and half ago. I'd be scared to death to test the theory. "Social Smokers" piss me off.
My goal in life is to become a social smoker.I'd love nothing more than to have a few on a Friday night, one on Sunday, two on Wednesday, and then not touch one for a couple of weeks.

If they sold half-packs, I'd probably be smoking right now. One or two a day would be soooo good.

2 weeks shy of 3 years.

It gets easier, right?

Please tell me it does.

Positive. I'm my own Exhibit A as I quit for just shy of 5 years from ages 21-26. Had one smoke on a drunken afternoon, went a couple of weekends of "social smoking" and was back to being full time in about 3 weeks.

I've learned my lesson the hard way.

Last edited by a moderator:
In its own weird, very characteristically FFA way, reading this conversation has been very helpful. :thumbup:
It just helped tip me over to go buy a pack of smokes.Only had one though...prolly one more before bed.
You know there actually has to be people around to have the smoking be considered social, don't you?
I know it's bad, but I went for two weeks with having one or two per day. Usually one.It made it so much easier...whenever I had the "I want a smokey treat" thing going on, it was easy to just think "Well I'll have one before I go to sleep" or "I'll have one when I leave the office" or "I'll have one after I nail Shuke's wife".Crap, I'm just rationalizing right now. :thumbup:

When I see a cigarette get thrown out a car window, I instantly want one.
I makes me instantly want to ram that car off the road and chew them out.....it is also why i continue to scour the grounds around my hood & restaurant throwing them away as my penance for being one of those a-holes for so long
Really pisses me off because I know if I have one, and just one, I'm done for.
This is the most truthful thing said in this thread.

Almost 3 weeks since my last. I was in Ocean City, MD then for a long weekend of general debauchery & smoked like a chimney. I think I told myself it was my last hurrah or that since I was on vacation, smoking there didn't count. On the way home, I had another of those attacks that put me in the hospital back in August. Came out ok, but threw the rest of my pack away & haven't had one since. Haven't had a beer either, which really sucks on football Sundays but I just don't trust myself right now. That's the last trigger for me to overcome. Everything else is fine - no cravings at all. I'm on light-load patches right now, but doubt that I even need them anymore - more psychological than anything at this point, I guess.

285 days, 7 minutes and 16 seconds smoke free.

7125 cigarettes not smoked.

$2,850.00 and 1 month, 24 days, 10 hours of your life saved.

Your quit date: 1/6/2007 8:48:00 AM

:goodposting:

My last month:

Had the largest amount of business in the last month that we ever have....even beat Jazz Fest/Graduation.

Did not have enough staff. Chef has been gone for a week....kitchen is dying.

Have been working with a herniated disk causing me agony with my siatic nerve for 3 month now.

Found out sub floors in 40%+ of my house needed replacing....thanks for catching that one inspector :angry: 3 solid weeks of work...very pricey.

Heater I had installed last spring when we bought the place did not work when activated. Nearly lost my stuff so to speak. Fixed quickly...but I really nearly lost my cool for real.

Wife & child moved to her parents for the month to be away from the construction...i stayed here to keep us from being robbed. Didn't even have a toilet for 2 weeks.

Wife had newest child 1 week early, and house was still not done when they left hospital....much stress from Mrs. Hormones.

Never ever even considered having a smoke. Just be done with it.

Three months in now and no cigarettes since that one slipup about a month ago. I'm still taking the last of the Chantix 'cuz it appears that I missed about 20 pills over the course of the scheduled 12-week period; can't decide if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

Boredom appears to be my worst enemy. When I'm not busy I want to kill the time with a sociable smoke and that bodes ill for the next few months -- our slow season starts immediately after Christmas. It'll be interesting to see how I handle the craving when the Chantix runs out; right now when I want a smoke it reminds me to take a pill. I guess that's the final test.

Maybe I'll take the #### Van Dyke approach from Cold Turkey to pass the time and occupy my hands.

Today is the 2nd anniversary of my last cigarette. :pickle:

I've probably saved about 3 grand, and I've lost about 35 lbs. I'd say it's been a pretty good decision.

Can anyone give me some insight on that Chantix drug. My mother smokes and she was talking about taking it but heard there might be some harsh side effects. She does this all the time.....she complains about the cost of smoking and her health....swears she is going to quit....but then finds an excuse to back out.

She wants to try Chantix.....but I just know she is going to come up with another excuse. Perhaps some testimony from a Chantix user would help eliminate the possibility of her making another excuse?

Ha...I even forgot my anniversary date this past weekend.

Speaking of...I was tailgating at LSU for the majority of the day and was fairly drunk and surrounded by people lighting up. It did cross my mind...but only in the "I would probably be smoking today if that crap didn't smell so bad" kind of way.

Two Years, Three Days, 1 Hour and 21 Minutes

22022 cigarettes not smoked

$5,107.41 saved

No Chantix either. Just 72 hours and a firm commitment to myself.

Ha...I even forgot my anniversary date this past weekend. Speaking of...I was tailgating at LSU for the majority of the day and was fairly drunk and surrounded by people lighting up. It did cross my mind...but only in the "I would probably be smoking today if that crap didn't smell so bad" kind of way.Two Years, Three Days, 1 Hour and 21 Minutes22022 cigarettes not smoked$5,107.41 savedNo Chantix either. Just 72 hours and a firm commitment to myself.
Nice! 2 years, 2 mo., 13 days for BSR.

Ha...I even forgot my anniversary date this past weekend. Speaking of...I was tailgating at LSU for the majority of the day and was fairly drunk and surrounded by people lighting up. It did cross my mind...but only in the "I would probably be smoking today if that crap didn't smell so bad" kind of way.Two Years, Three Days, 1 Hour and 21 Minutes22022 cigarettes not smoked$5,107.41 savedNo Chantix either. Just 72 hours and a firm commitment to myself.
over 22000 cigs not smoked. that's amazing and so disgusting to think about.

Speaking of...I was tailgating at LSU for the majority of the day and was fairly drunk and surrounded by people lighting up. It did cross my mind...but only in the "I would probably be smoking today if that crap didn't smell so bad" kind of way.
Yeah, the thought will probably always cross your mind in those situations. I know I still have moments where I could really go for a smoke. When I'm drinking is obviously the most common time, but sometimes I'll just get a whiff while I'm walking through a parking lot or something, and I'll get a little wistful. But I haven't been close to giving in.2 years, 8 months, 24 days :lmao:

Yeah, the thought will probably always cross your mind in those situations. I know I still have moments where I could really go for a smoke. When I'm drinking is obviously the most common time, but sometimes I'll just get a whiff while I'm walking through a parking lot or something, and I'll get a little wistful. But I haven't been close to giving in.2 years, 8 months, 24 days :P
Congrats guys. :goodposting: :thumbup:

I haven't visited this thread since my whopping one contribution post stating I quit smoking back in 10/06 (post 666 oddly enough) and it was weird reading my mindset about wanting to stop to help support my wife during her pregnancy, so we could have a healthy baby and healthy parents. Well, here it is 27 months later and at the very least I am still a non-smoker (wife fell back in after giving birth) and I am thrilled to look at these numbers from a calculator.

You've been free of cigarettes for 810 days, 20 hours, 35 minutes & 6 seconds. You have not smoked 16,217 cigarettes since then, and you have saved a total of $5,473.29.

Good job to those who have remained away. Good luck to those who want to quit. It is possible and you can do it.

Users who are viewing this thread