What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I quit smoking! (1 Viewer)

I quit in April. Chantix really worked for me, except for that one dream where I was in a hot tub with Hillary Clinton.

:shivers:

I'd like to give it a go in the very near future. Is Chantix still the devil or a savior? Will the crazy dreams really mess me up?

I'm in my 4th week (again).

Chantix works very well. But the dreams are VERY disturbing. At least this round I have not having the bizarre and inappropriate thoughts pop in my mind during waking hours.

I'm giving it another shot.

Chantix again, and with no fever-dream side effects at all this time. :bag:

I'm down to just a few cigs a day, but finding it difficult to pull the trigger on going 100% smoke-free. Once I do, I'm gonna start using Tipsy's "cigs not smoked" and "money saved" method...hell of a motivator. :stalker:

I'm on day 9 of going cold turkey. I wasn't a heavy smoker though, but still extremely addicted. These past 3 years, I've limited myself to about 3 or 4 a night during the week, but anywhere from a half a pack to a whole pack each weekend day. I actually used to smoke a pack every day about 10 years ago, and then switched over to dip to help me quit.....which was idiotic. The nicotine craving for dip made me feel like a crack addict and I was addicted to it for about 3 years and then in turn had to pick up smoking again to get off of dip. That's when I started my limited nightly smoking.

This thread was pretty helpful getting my mind in the right place though, so thanks to those that have posted in it. I've used whyquit.com as well and read that book The Easy Way to Quit Smoking by Allen Carr. I recommend checking out both. The big thing for me was labeling myself as an addict. I knew I was addicted, but never thought of it in terms of being an addict. Getting the "fix" was the only reason I've been smoking, not because I enjoyed it like I thought. But now I know I can never have just one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm giving it another shot.Chantix again, and with no fever-dream side effects at all this time. :hot: I'm down to just a few cigs a day, but finding it difficult to pull the trigger on going 100% smoke-free. Once I do, I'm gonna start using Tipsy's "cigs not smoked" and "money saved" method...hell of a motivator. :unsure:
How much does Chantix run?

I'm giving it another shot.Chantix again, and with no fever-dream side effects at all this time. :lol: I'm down to just a few cigs a day, but finding it difficult to pull the trigger on going 100% smoke-free. Once I do, I'm gonna start using Tipsy's "cigs not smoked" and "money saved" method...hell of a motivator. :rolleyes:
About $110.You're supposed to take two cycles, but I had some left from my failed attempt so I only had to buy one box. :thumbup:

I'm giving it another shot.Chantix again, and with no fever-dream side effects at all this time. :lol: I'm down to just a few cigs a day, but finding it difficult to pull the trigger on going 100% smoke-free. Once I do, I'm gonna start using Tipsy's "cigs not smoked" and "money saved" method...hell of a motivator. :rolleyes:
With Humana co-pay, about $30 for me. I think its 150 or so w/o insurance

Just over 10 months for me since quitting. Pack a day for 34 years till then. Quit for medical and monetary reasons. Had blocked arteries I needed to work on. Took Chantix for just one month. Never did have any dreams. Really seemed to help though. I also had some of the Nicotrol inhalers. They really helped. I still have some left and keep them on me at all times but don't use them every day.

I gained weight though. About 30 lbs. Got my PAD fixed and have lost a few of them since September. I figured about $5.00 a day I was saving here. So after 4 months I bought my self a new set of Adams golf irons. Another 3 months a new CPU to upgrade my computer and for Christmas my sons gave me the new Taylor Made driver I bought. Keeps you seeing the results of what you are saving. Helps a lot.

Another thing is I live on SW Minnesota and can't smoke on company property here. So when it was 15 below zero 2 weeks ago I was comfortably inside instead of walking 2 blocks to smoke.

YOU CAN DO IT IF I COULD!!

McJose said:
Homer J Simpson said:
I'm giving it another shot.Chantix again, and with no fever-dream side effects at all this time. :thumbup: I'm down to just a few cigs a day, but finding it difficult to pull the trigger on going 100% smoke-free. Once I do, I'm gonna start using Tipsy's "cigs not smoked" and "money saved" method...hell of a motivator. :thumbup:
~$90 at Sam's.

I'm giving it another shot.Chantix again, and with no fever-dream side effects at all this time. :unsure: I'm down to just a few cigs a day, but finding it difficult to pull the trigger on going 100% smoke-free. Once I do, I'm gonna start using Tipsy's "cigs not smoked" and "money saved" method...hell of a motivator. :goodposting:
Screw chantix man. Just be strong, be a non-smoker (not quitting), and just be a bigger man than this pointless addiction.3 Years, 3 Months, and 16 Days36149 Cigs not smoked$9,499 Saved by not purchasing (and surprise....im out of all debt sans the house now)Im a touch heavier.....but food tastes so much better and I can actually nail grape types pretty much on smell alone now. Dangerous for me considering what I work with, but I would rather die with a belly full of pate & pinot noir than an iron lung hooked up to me and the smell of those things on everything I own.

I'm giving it another shot.Chantix again, and with no fever-dream side effects at all this time. :hifive: I'm down to just a few cigs a day, but finding it difficult to pull the trigger on going 100% smoke-free. Once I do, I'm gonna start using Tipsy's "cigs not smoked" and "money saved" method...hell of a motivator. :goodposting:
Screw chantix man. Just be strong, be a non-smoker (not quitting), and just be a bigger man than this pointless addiction.
I have the willpower of a meth-addicted toddler.

I'm giving it another shot.Chantix again, and with no fever-dream side effects at all this time. :cry: I'm down to just a few cigs a day, but finding it difficult to pull the trigger on going 100% smoke-free. Once I do, I'm gonna start using Tipsy's "cigs not smoked" and "money saved" method...hell of a motivator. :2cents:
Screw chantix man. Just be strong, be a non-smoker (not quitting), and just be a bigger man than this pointless addiction.
Screw that. This is your life. Just be done. I put one out, told myself never again, and got through it. Punch yourself in the nuts everytime you want one....that will work a hell of a lot better than chantix.

Chantix again, and with no fever-dream side effects at all this time. :lmao:

I'm down to just a few cigs a day, but finding it difficult to pull the trigger on going 100% smoke-free. Once I do, I'm gonna start using Tipsy's "cigs not smoked" and "money saved" method...hell of a motivator. :shrug:
Screw that. This is your life. Just be done. I put one out, told myself never again, and got through it. Punch yourself in the nuts everytime you want one....that will work a hell of a lot better than chantix.
This is correct. There are only 2 paths.If you seriously want to quit with every ounce of your being you will do it. The first few weeks won't be easy because there is a physical addiction, but you will make it. Go cold turkey, don't "set a date" or slowly reduce your cigs per day. Right now crush every pack of cigs you have and throw them away with every lighter, matchbook, and ashtray you own.

Or you can admit part of you still wants to smoke. If this is true save yourself some money and don't buy the quit smoking products since you're doomed to fail. Saying "I have no will power" or "it's too hard" is simply code for "I don't really want to quit smoking".

And for the record, I just passed my 10 year smoke free anniversary. By dropping my pack and a half a day habit of Camel Filters I've missed 5,481 packs, or 109,620 smokes. Anyone can do it if they really want to.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm giving it another shot.Chantix again, and with no fever-dream side effects at all this time. :bow: I'm down to just a few cigs a day, but finding it difficult to pull the trigger on going 100% smoke-free. Once I do, I'm gonna start using Tipsy's "cigs not smoked" and "money saved" method...hell of a motivator. :bow:
:shrug: what he said. just quit. take a weekend and do it. the physical withdrawal is 72 hours. after that it's mental. don't drink for a while. when you get an urge, take a walk or do some pushups. tell loved ones you won't be yourself for a while and to take it easy if you get snippy. eat your way through those days if you have to. It's really hard to quit, but many have done it. It's just an odd temporary feeling of not smoking. there are issues of loss and not knowing what to do with yourself. have a plan and stick to it. it's extremely powerful to kick the habit. you'll look back on it and won't believe you ever did it. honestly.

Chantix again, and with no fever-dream side effects at all this time. :thumbup:

I'm down to just a few cigs a day, but finding it difficult to pull the trigger on going 100% smoke-free. Once I do, I'm gonna start using Tipsy's "cigs not smoked" and "money saved" method...hell of a motivator. :moneybag:
:( what he said. just quit. take a weekend and do it. the physical withdrawal is 72 hours. after that it's mental. don't drink for a while. when you get an urge, take a walk or do some pushups. tell loved ones you won't be yourself for a while and to take it easy if you get snippy. eat your way through those days if you have to. It's really hard to quit, but many have done it. It's just an odd temporary feeling of not smoking. there are issues of loss and not knowing what to do with yourself. have a plan and stick to it. it's extremely powerful to kick the habit. you'll look back on it and won't believe you ever did it. honestly.
3 days. I had to sleep a lot. After that, if i had a strong physical or mental urge, i went outside to pick up butts thrown in front of my restaurant. (I still do this as a reminder because it is so nasty and I feel it is one way i can rebuild my karma with the planet since i was the jerk throwing them for 20+years. It is also good for me to get a breath of air too.)The biggest part: Don't be a quitter. Just don't smoke anymore. You have to want it or nothing else will work.

After that, if i had a strong physical or mental urge, i went outside to pick up butts thrown in front of my restaurant. (I still do this as a reminder because it is so nasty and I feel it is one way i can rebuild my karma with the planet since i was the jerk throwing them for 20+years. It is also good for me to get a breath of air too.)
This is what I'm talking about. having a plan. In Tipsy's case, he picked up butts. I made a promise to carry around a photo of my son and if I wanted to cave and smoke I could.. The stipulation was that I had to exhale the smoke over his photo. Never actually did it.

Been just over a year since my last. Echo everything said here. I got through the physical stuff pretty easily (having 'quit' at least 4 or 5 times prepped me for that part). The hardest part was the mental aspect - the associations that my brain had developed over the years while I filled my body with that crap. That took much longer. Reading "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking" helped me understand the mental associations and defeat that aspect.

After that, if i had a strong physical or mental urge, i went outside to pick up butts thrown in front of my restaurant. (I still do this as a reminder because it is so nasty and I feel it is one way i can rebuild my karma with the planet since i was the jerk throwing them for 20+years. It is also good for me to get a breath of air too.)
This is what I'm talking about. having a plan. In Tipsy's case, he picked up butts. I made a promise to carry around a photo of my son and if I wanted to cave and smoke I could.. The stipulation was that I had to exhale the smoke over his photo. Never actually did it.
My wife and I were trying to get pregnant and having difficulty. We didn't know why, but I knew that smoking wasn't helping. I imagined every moment with my son or daughter that I would never have - the life that I was trading for a cigarette. Made me feel about an inch tall everytime I thought I'd cave. Haven't touched one since and expecting a daughter in July!

Chantix again, and with no fever-dream side effects at all this time. :thumbup:

I'm down to just a few cigs a day, but finding it difficult to pull the trigger on going 100% smoke-free. Once I do, I'm gonna start using Tipsy's "cigs not smoked" and "money saved" method...hell of a motivator. :moneybag:
:confused: what he said. just quit. take a weekend and do it. the physical withdrawal is 72 hours. after that it's mental. don't drink for a while. when you get an urge, take a walk or do some pushups. tell loved ones you won't be yourself for a while and to take it easy if you get snippy. eat your way through those days if you have to. It's really hard to quit, but many have done it. It's just an odd temporary feeling of not smoking. there are issues of loss and not knowing what to do with yourself. have a plan and stick to it. it's extremely powerful to kick the habit. you'll look back on it and won't believe you ever did it. honestly.
Very true. Friends and family can be great support for those 72 hours as long as they don't snap back. My family was so happy i was quitting they didn't mind the grumpiness!I kept a nasty old ashtray i used to use out in the backyard. When i would have a craving i would go smell that nasty thing and i was done.

Horses Mouth said:
I'm giving it another shot.Chantix again, and with no fever-dream side effects at all this time. :goodposting: I'm down to just a few cigs a day, but finding it difficult to pull the trigger on going 100% smoke-free. Once I do, I'm gonna start using Tipsy's "cigs not smoked" and "money saved" method...hell of a motivator. :football:
:football: what he said. just quit. take a weekend and do it. the physical withdrawal is 72 hours. after that it's mental. don't drink for a while. when you get an urge, take a walk or do some pushups. tell loved ones you won't be yourself for a while and to take it easy if you get snippy. eat your way through those days if you have to. It's really hard to quit, but many have done it. It's just an odd temporary feeling of not smoking. there are issues of loss and not knowing what to do with yourself. have a plan and stick to it. it's extremely powerful to kick the habit. you'll look back on it and won't believe you ever did it. honestly.
I tried going cold turkey at least 4 or 5 times over the years. I could never do it. I made it almost 4 days one time and I was a wreck. This time I have a multi-step plan that hopefully will ease me off.1. Replace 90% of my nicotine intake from cigs to snus. Over the last 3 days or so I have 1 smoke in the morning and maybe 2 at night. During the day I use the snus. 2. Cut cigs out all together. This will happen in the next few days.3. Reduce snus by about half. 4. Replace snus with nicorette.5. Reduce nicorette. Replace with nothing.

I tried going cold turkey at least 4 or 5 times over the years. I could never do it. I made it almost 4 days one time and I was a wreck. This time I have a multi-step plan that hopefully will ease me off.1. Replace 90% of my nicotine intake from cigs to snus. Over the last 3 days or so I have 1 smoke in the morning and maybe 2 at night. During the day I use the snus. 2. Cut cigs out all together. This will happen in the next few days.3. Reduce snus by about half. 4. Replace snus with nicorette.5. Reduce nicorette. Replace with nothing.
Excuse my arrogance, but this is doomed to fail. PPlease go read for about an hour or more on the www.whyquit.com website. You only need the desire to be smoke free.

Excuse my arrogance, but this is doomed to fail. PPlease go read for about an hour or more on the www.whyquit.com website. You only need the desire to be smoke free.
:hifive: So the only thing I need to quit a 20 year addiction to one of the most addictive substances is will power? I wish. You went your way...I'll go mine.

:goodposting: So the only thing I need to quit a 20 year addiction to one of the most addictive substances is will power? I wish. You went your way...I'll go mine.
Whatever works for you!You will be happy you quit however you get there!

:kicksrock: So the only thing I need to quit a 20 year addiction to one of the most addictive substances is will power? I wish. You went your way...I'll go mine.
Good luck. I know where Tipsy is coming from as it's really hard to cut down on nicotine and quit. The first time I quit after college (for 6 years!) was with the patch. I highly recommend that.The second and final was cold turkey. Totally sucks but you get pissed off and then suddenly find an hour turns in to a day, which turns in to a week, month, year and voila, you're done. if you HAVE to have an aid, I'd really take a good look at the patch. No more bad habits and totally takes the edge off.

3 days. I had to sleep a lot.
I think the best advice is to take a couple days off around a weekend and just plan to spend 3-4 straight days locked in your bedroom. Just sleep.
Excellent advice. I'm 6 weeks out since I went cold turkey. I never really smoked much during the day, so I decided I would quit on Friday after work and then I locked myself in the house through the weekend and took Monday off work. By Tuesday the worst of it was over. I was climbing the walls by the time I was done, but the 3rd day was always the worst for me. Once I broke through that, it's been clear sailing. Sleep helps as well. I was in bed each night by 8 or so, even though it didn't matter as I didn't sleep much.

3 days. I had to sleep a lot.
I think the best advice is to take a couple days off around a weekend and just plan to spend 3-4 straight days locked in your bedroom. Just sleep.
Excellent advice. I'm 6 weeks out since I went cold turkey. I never really smoked much during the day, so I decided I would quit on Friday after work and then I locked myself in the house through the weekend and took Monday off work. By Tuesday the worst of it was over. I was climbing the walls by the time I was done, but the 3rd day was always the worst for me. Once I broke through that, it's been clear sailing. Sleep helps as well. I was in bed each night by 8 or so, even though it didn't matter as I didn't sleep much.
This is the way to do it IMHO.

:shrug: So the only thing I need to quit a 20 year addiction to one of the most addictive substances is will power? I wish. You went your way...I'll go mine.
Statistically. I do of course hope it works for you.

:shrug: So the only thing I need to quit a 20 year addiction to one of the most addictive substances is will power? I wish. You went your way...I'll go mine.
Statistically. I do of course hope it works for you.
Not sure if will power and desire are considered the same or different in this case, but you need to both want to quit and need to quit to quit cold turkey. That was my plan that worked anyway after 20-odd years of smoking.

:goodposting: So the only thing I need to quit a 20 year addiction to one of the most addictive substances is will power? I wish. You went your way...I'll go mine.
I'm certainly not telling you what to do but definitely check out the whyquit website. The whole site is based upon the premise that quitting cold turkey is actually the easiest method, not just the "cool" way. There is nothing to buy.

I'm on Day 25 - not a single butt.Not easy - I miss my skinny little white friends.Drinking is not the same - have no urge.Bored
Day 119 - haven't had one. A few cigars over that time but that's it.Got easier after 3 months. Before that I could have smoked a whole pack in about 1 hour.Drinking is fun again. I'm done. No urge anymore

Day 5

It's somehow rougher than days 1-4. I'd kill for one right now. I passed on going out last night, and I highly doubt I'll be drinking at all this weekend. The addition of beer isn't really the main issue, but being around anyone that smokes would be tough.

But anyway, counting today: 125 cigarettes not smoked, $35 saved

I'm on day 24. Good call on passing on the drinking this first weekend. I did the same thing my first weekend, but I've drank the past two weekends with no relapses. I wanted to, but was able to fend it off. But anyways, I found what has helped me was switching what I usually drink. I'm a beer or wine guy, but I've been rolling with the vodka tonics instead. I still got a long ways to go though. The spring/summer will be tough, but hopefully I'll be so far removed from smoking by then it won't matter.

Day 5

It's somehow rougher than days 1-4. I'd kill for one right now. I passed on going out last night, and I highly doubt I'll be drinking at all this weekend. The addition of beer isn't really the main issue, but being around anyone that smokes would be tough.

But anyway, counting today: 125 cigarettes not smoked, $35 saved
Keep at it, you're better than the habit. :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread