What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I really like Elizabeth Warren (1 Viewer)

I used to like her more than I do now. I just can't stand this populism. Yes we have economic problems in this country and we have to seriously discuss how to help the poor and middle class more. But why does that mean we have to demonize rich people? And why does it have to be a fight all the time?
um....wut?

I used to like her more than I do now. I just can't stand this populism. Yes we have economic problems in this country and we have to seriously discuss how to help the poor and middle class more. But why does that mean we have to demonize rich people? And why does it have to be a fight all the time?
Where on earth did you get this from any of those articles.
I get it from listening to her speak.

Well, she SHOULD know her place as a woman and keep her mouth shut. I'll agree on that.

Well, she SHOULD know her place as a woman and keep her mouth shut. I'll agree on that.
That too sure.

As opposed to Hillary who demonizes them on one hand and rakes in their money and does their bidding on the other?

As opposed to Hillary who demonizes them on one hand and rakes in their money and does their bidding on the other?
Yes.

You are so blinded by your love of Hillary.

Nah. Just never been a big populism fan. I usually attack its conservative forms, like the Tea Party, but the liberal kind is nearly as bad.

Nah. Just never been a big populism fan. I usually attack its conservative forms, like the Tea Party, but the liberal kind is nearly as bad.
So your just fishing with your typical bull####. Gotcha.

The Tea Party isn't even a populist movement.

These rants are so confusing.

The Tea Party isn't even a populist movement.These rants are so confusing.
lol not half as confusing as claiming the Tea Party isn't populist.

im not fishing. I don't like her rhetoric. It bothers me because she seems like a good person.

We've tried to ask rich people really nicely, but it doesn't seem to work all that well.

I've said it in various other threads, but we really need a Tim dictionary. It's gotten really bad to the point where words really have no meaning.

I've said it in various other threads, but we really need a Tim dictionary. It's gotten really bad to the point where words really have no meaning.
Conservatives = bad

Tea party = really bad

Libertarians = scum of the earth

Obama = good

Someone who calls themselves liberal = better

Hillary = walks on water

A liberal with actual liberal positions or populist = Somewhere between the Tea party and Libertarians

We've tried to ask rich people really nicely, but it doesn't seem to work all that well.
Exactly. Great post.

Exactly. Great post.
My favorite part is where standing up to big business = a fight. Give me a break. I also find it bizarre that one shouldn't expect some pretty populist POV in a republic like ours. We elect these people to represent us and protect us.

im not fishing. I don't like her rhetoric. It bothers me because she seems like a good person.
Cool. So instead of discussing her issues, you are making random comments about how she talks funny about rich people. Definitely what we need more of in politics. :thumbup:

Exactly. Great post.
My favorite part is where standing up to big business = a fight. Give me a break. I also find it bizarre that one shouldn't expect some pretty populist POV in a republic like ours. We elect these people to represent us and protect us.
Its Warren who uses the word "fight" all the time. According to one article I read she used the word something like 20 times in her last speech. It is one thing to criticize big business and absolutely another to demonize it. AllDens, including Hillary, are guilty of this and it's pretty shameful. But Warren is especially guilty, the worst major politician I've heard doing it in years- worse even than Feingold and Ted Kennedy who were pretty bad.

And as far as the Tea Party goes, I hate to offend anyone but you would have to be pretty ignorant not to recognize the populism that runs through that movement- their enemy, rather than big business, is big government and big intellectual. But just like Warren they demonize their opponents and attempt to paint complicated nuanced issues into a black and white struggle of good vs evil- which is why populism is so dangerous and has been such a destructive force in our history- most of the time. There are exceptions to be sure- abolition, the Civil Rights Movement, others. But it's pretty rare when an issue can be simplified to good vs evil, right vs wrong. Modern day economics is not one of those issues.

Cool. So instead of discussing her issues, you are making random comments about how she talks funny about rich people. Definitely what we need more of in politics. :thumbup:
Her rhetoric is key to what I dislike though. As to her specific ideas, some I like some I don't, like most pols. But I don't like her tone.

Her rhetoric is key to what I dislike though. As to her specific ideas, some I like some I don't, like most pols. But I don't like her tone.
Sounds all uppity.

Exactly. Great post.
Its Warren who uses the word "fight" all the time. According to one article I read she used the word something like 20 times in her last speech. It is one thing to criticize big business and absolutely another to demonize it. AllDens, including Hillary, are guilty of this and it's pretty shameful. But Warren is especially guilty, the worst major politician I've heard doing it in years- worse even than Feingold and Ted Kennedy who were pretty bad.

And as far as the Tea Party goes, I hate to offend anyone but you would have to be pretty ignorant not to recognize the populism that runs through that movement- their enemy, rather than big business, is big government and big intellectual. But just like Warren they demonize their opponents and attempt to paint complicated nuanced issues into a black and white struggle of good vs evil- which is why populism is so dangerous and has been such a destructive force in our history- most of the time. There are exceptions to be sure- abolition, the Civil Rights Movement, others. But it's pretty rare when an issue can be simplified to good vs evil, right vs wrong. Modern day economics is not one of those issues.
I have to ask Tim, why on earth do you believe that? Your list of exceptions conspicuously left out what I (and many others) would consider one of the most important populist movements of our entire history: that of progressives fighting against corporate power, special interests, and government corruption from about 1900 to World War II. Rhetoric nigh identical to things Warren and Sanders say today was common place and widely supported by the public in those times and lead to pretty much every right you have as a worker today. What makes you the person to tell everyone else that, this time, they're wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly. Great post.

There's populism, and then there's democracy. I come from the land of populism, or it used to be. But our democracy was horrible in La.

People have a right to information, the government belongs to the people. When it comes to financial regulation, who knows what is going on. The pushback that the feds give when our own Congressmen ask for information and accountability is really telling. I think the populism comes in when politicians talk about redistribution in and of itself and for itself, the 'take from the rich and give to the poor' talk, but I am not really aware of Warren doing that. It seems to me she wants banks regulated at least in the fashion to ensure we do not have a repeat of 2008 and 1929 and I'm not sure we are getting that.

mcintyre1 said:
timschochet said:
The Commish said:
PIK95 said:
fatguyinalittlecoat said:
timschochet said:
Exactly. Great post.

I have to ask Tim, why on earth do you believe that? Your list of exceptions conspicuously left out what I (and many others) would consider one of the most important populist movements of our entire history: that of progressives fighting against corporate power, special interests, and government corruption from about 1900 to World War II. Rhetoric nigh identical to things Warren and Sanders say today was common place and widely supported by the public in those times and lead to pretty much every right you have as a worker today. What makes you the person to tell everyone else that, this time, they're wrong?
Excellent question. And the answer is several reasons. Recall that at the time the progressive fight started, it was NOT against corporate power, it was against big business power in the form of individual titans who owned everything: the Rockefellers, the Goulds, the Carnegies, etc. There were no trade unions. Workers conditions were terrible. Child labor was prevalent, and public health diseases were rampant. It was far easier, back then, to make the case of "us vs. them" because there really was a good case to be made.

Now, over a century later, we have an entirely different ballgame. Corporate profits are reflected in 401k plans and investments, so every time we punish a corporation, we also threaten to punish the middle class. Unions in this country are very powerful despite the fact that they represent a shrinking number of workers, and one of our gravest economic problems is the pensions which unions forced on us, and which, because people are living longer, are going to be even worse in the future unless we find a way to deal with them. Unions also constantly push for protectionism, which is essentially a forced tax on consumers, and which keeps other countries economies in stagnation, creating political unrest which eventually we have to deal with. Finally, unlike 1900, all economic decisions are international, and whatever we do affects other countries and they affect us as well.

This is not to say that all of Warren's ideas, or all progressive ideas, are wrong. She may very well be right on several of her proposals. But this rhetoric of us vs. them, which was to some degree accurate in the Progressive movement you speak of 100 years ago, is simply not accurate now. It's far too nuanced and complicated to adopt such a simplistic, either-or attitude.

timschochet said:
The Commish said:
PIK95 said:
timschochet said:
Exactly. Great post.

This isn't populism or a trait thereof. Like I said, we need a Tim dictionary. Though I will say, it's apparent to me that this country is getting "soft" based on comments like this. What she says about companies now is "demonizing" yet things 100 times worse some decades ago were mainstream. Corporate America is getting exactly what it wants it appears. :kicksrock:

timschochet said:
The Commish said:
PIK95 said:
timschochet said:
Exactly. Great post.

This isn't populism or a trait thereof. Like I said, we need a Tim dictionary. Though I will say, it's apparent to me that this country is getting "soft" based on comments like this. What she says about companies now is "demonizing" yet things 100 times worse some decades ago were mainstream. Corporate America is getting exactly what it wants it appears. :kicksrock:
Populism is absolutely about creating a demagogy of "enemies" of the people- It is absolutely an "either-or" movement:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Populism

Users who are viewing this thread