What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

IDP Strategy (1 Viewer)

fluffy kittens

Footballguy
I took over a keeper league w/IDP mid season last year. I half arsed it basically because i didn't know what I was doing. My question to you all is how do you determine defensive starters?Our scoring is a little different.6. Defensive Line- tackles, sacks & Passes Defended.7. Defensive Backs – Tackles, sacks, Passes Defended & Int.8. Linebackers – Tackes, sacks, passes defended & Int.For each category listed above, there will be two points per category won in the game. The games are head to head so all you have to do in each position is to win the catergory against the opposing players. If there is a tie in a position one point is awarded to each team, at the end all the points are added up. To add to the fun there will be bonus points for each position.We also throw in bonus points...6. Defensive Linemen- can earn a point for getting a safety or scoring a touchdown 1 Point For each 10 tackles.7. Defensive Backs- can earn a point for getting a safety or scoring a touchdown 1 Point For each 10 tackles.8. Linebackers - can earn a point for getting a safety or scoring a touchdown 1 Point For each 10 tackles.We start two at DB, LB, and DL.My IDP roster for week 1Madieu Williams @ CLEGibril Wilson VS ARIAdrian Wilson @ NYGLaVar Arrington VS CHIKeith Bulluck @ PITDerreck Brooks @ MINDwight Freeney @ BALKevin Williams VS TBOsi Umenyiora VS ARISo, obviously you start your stud players like Bulluck, but how do you guys determine who else starts a given week. What criteria do you look for?

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting scoring system. I like leagues like that. Here are some things that I look at when there is a question on who I would start.Defensive lineman - 1) quality of opposing offensive line. how many sacks allowed? 2) Who is the opposing QB? is he a statue in the pocket or good at shaking rushers? 3) Quality of the passing game; if a team passes alot and has a reputation for getting rid of the ball quickly defensive lineman dont usually put up good numbers?Linebackers1) Quality and style of the opposing running game. If the opposing team has a north/south guy the MLB is going to make alot of tackles. If it is a quick/outside game, the defensive backs are favored.2) How well the defensive backfield is playing. If the defensive backfield is playing well, that give the Linebackers more freedom as they will not be brought out into coverage as much.Defensive backs - this one is a little tricky because the criteria is different for a CB and for a safety.1) How much run support are they going to have to do?2) Does the opposing QB throw alot of interceptions?

Interesting scoring system.  I like leagues like that. 

Here are some things that I look at when there is a question on who I would start.

Defensive lineman -

1)  quality of opposing offensive line.  how many sacks allowed? 

2)  Who is the opposing QB? is he a statue in the pocket or good at shaking rushers? 

3)  Quality of the passing game; if a team passes alot and has a reputation for getting rid of the ball quickly defensive lineman dont usually put up good numbers?

4) DL tackle numbers are typically low.  This 1-pt. bonus for 10 tackles, for example, can be tossed out the window.  However, any lineman that can contribute to the run as well as have good sack totals is a huge bonus.  Try and find a good combination here if at all possible because sacks can still be hard to come by, depending on the opponents.

Linebackers

1)  Quality and style of the opposing running game.  If the opposing team has a north/south guy the MLB is going to make alot of tackles.  If it is a quick/outside game, the defensive backs are favored.

2)  How well the defensive backfield is playing.  If the defensive backfield is playing well, that give the Linebackers more freedom as they will not be brought out into coverage as much.

3)  LBers who plays three downs, including in the nickel/dime, like Bullock, are big. If they're in coverage on 3rd down, all numbers go up, especially tackles.

Defensive backs - this one is a little tricky because the criteria is different for a CB and for a safety.

1)  How much run support are they going to have to do?

2)  Does the opposing QB throw alot of interceptions?

3)  For a corner, who plays on the opposite side?  Will QBs shy away from one side over another?  Is he going up against a stud receiver who will be targeted often?  The #2 guys also tend to get picked on more, which creates more opportunities for said player. 

4)  For safeties, SSs play the run more, and cover TE/RBs more, while the FS helps out with the slot wr and double coverage on the flankers more often.  For fantasy purposes, SSs are more productive simply due to their increased role vs. the run.
Without knowing who else is on the roster, it would be difficult to comment specically to your case, but it looks like you've got a pretty good lineup so far. Hope you've got a good backup for when LeVar gets injured, heh.

Actually that is all my IDPs.We start... 1qb2rb3wr/te1pk1team d2db2lb2dlWith a maxium of 22 roster spots.Given their is only 22 roster their is only enough room for one backup at each position. Currently I have a extra RB, and no backup kicker. I know I need another LB with Arrington seemly injured every year, But the only person i can drop is Boller. Some teams are carrying 3 QB, if Boller was picked up their would be no starters left. :hot: DE Freeney, Dwight 9/4/2004 Drafted 174 DE Umenyiora, Osi 8/20/2005 Drafted 166 DE Williams, Kevin 8/20/2005 Drafted 118 DEF Carolina Panthers Defense 8/20/2005 Drafted 46 DEF New York Jets Defense 8/20/2005 Drafted 94 LB Arrington, LaVar 8/20/2005 Drafted 190 LB Brooks, Derrick 9/4/2004 Drafted 126 LB Bulluck, Keith 8/20/2005 Drafted 3 PK Graham, Shayne 8/20/2005 Drafted 99 QB Boller, Kyle 8/20/2005 Drafted 171 QB Palmer, Carson 8/20/2005 Drafted 27 RB Duckett, T.J. 8/20/2005 Drafted 142 RB Lewis, Jamal L. 10/12/2004 Trade 0 RB McGahee, Willis 9/4/2004 Drafted 102 RB Williams, Carnell 8/20/2005 Drafted 22 S Williams, Madieu 8/20/2005 Drafted 75 S Wilson, Adrian 8/20/2005 Drafted 51 S Wilson, Gibril 8/23/2005 Free Agent Claim 268 WR Calico, Tyrone 8/20/2005 Drafted 123 WR Johnson, Andre L. 9/4/2004 Drafted 54 WR Johnson, Chad 9/4/2004 Drafted 20 WR Lelie, Ashley 8/20/2005 Drafted 70 Players with 2004 becide their name where drafted or other wise aquired last year. As you can see some pretty good defensice talent was thrown back.

Users who are viewing this thread