What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

IF Priest Holmes retires after this year... (1 Viewer)

reg

Mod in training
Does he make it into the HOF? I am not saying he will retire and I am not saying he will or won't make it in, just curious if he deserves to be in the HOF.

Pros:

NFL Record holder for most TD's in one year

15th all time rushing TD's (will likely move up to top 10 after this season)

Superbowl Ring (backup in Bal)

Cons:

Only has been a starter for 5 out of his 8 seasons

Three (going on four) superb seasons.

One playoff appearance since become the focus of his team.

What are your thoughts?

I'd say NO HOF. Hasn't started enough games or done enough IMO. While his 79 TD's are great for the amount of time he has played, I still think he has to have a couple more good to great years.

Nope. Needs a couple more years like this one, then he's in.
He HAS had a couple more years like this one...See 2002 & 2003! :excited:

Nope. Needs a couple more years like this one, then he's in.
I don't think 3 years makes you HoF material. I think you need to have 5 really good years to get in the HoF.

Nope.  Needs a couple more years like this one, then he's in.
I don't think 3 years makes you HoF material. I think you need to have 5 really good years to get in the HoF.
He's actually had 4 good years. He had 1008 yds and 7 td's his first year 1998, but I still agree he doesn't go into the HOF if he retires after this year.

He is in the middle of having a 3rd consecutive STOOPID good season...Hey stat peeps- What are the best 3 FF seasons in a row ever produced by a RB?

;)

- g

He is in the middle of having a 3rd consecutive STOOPID good season...Hey stat peeps- What are the best 3 FF seasons in a row ever produced by a RB?

;)

- g
Absolutely true...however 3 stooopid seasons, IMO, just isnt enough to get you intot he hall.I think he needs at least 2 (maybe even more) more season of solid production in order to make it into the hall. Not to say he isnt a great back having a great career, I just think he needs to keep it going for a few more seasons to get the ultimate achievement in football.

He has had no post season experience or success. Do you put a guy like Terrell Davis in? I put him in way before Priest.

By comparison, in 3 more games started, he has 2569 more rushing yards, 197 more receptions, 1438 more recieving yards, 40 more rushing td's, 2 less recieving td's and 8 less return td's than current HOFer Gale Sayers.

If he carries that team to a superbowl win, breaks his own TD record, and breaks the single season total for yards form scrimmage, he might have shot.

No way...The only HOF Priest should be able to get into is the Fantasy Football HOF. If there was no fantasy football and no :eek: from fans about touchdowns, this would not even be a topic.

Look at:

Terry Allen

| 1992 min | 16 | 266 1201 4.5 13 | 49 478 9.8 2 |

| 1994 min | 16 | 255 1031 4.0 8 | 17 148 8.7 0 |

| 1995 was | 16 | 338 1309 3.9 10 | 31 232 7.5 1 |

| 1996 was | 16 | 347 1353 3.9 21 | 32 194 6.1 0 |

Ricky Watters

1995 phi | 16 | 337 1273 3.8 11 | 62 434 7.0 1 |

| 1996 phi | 16 | 353 1411 4.0 13 | 51 444 8.7 0 |

| 1997 phi | 16 | 285 1110 3.9 7 | 48 440 9.2 0 |

| 1998 sea | 16 | 319 1239 3.9 9 | 52 373 7.2 0 |

| 1999 sea | 16 | 325 1210 3.7 5 | 40 387 9.7 2 |

| 2000 sea | 16 | 278 1242 4.5 7 | 63 613 9.7 2 |

Gerald Riggs

1984 atl | 15 | 353 1486 4.2 13 | 42 277 6.6 0 |

| 1985 atl | 16 | 397 1719 4.3 10 | 33 267 8.1 0 |

| 1986 atl | 16 | 343 1327 3.9 9 | 24 136 5.7 0 |

Chris Warren

| 1992 sea | 16 | 223 1017 4.6 3 | 16 134 8.4 0 |

| 1993 sea | 14 | 273 1072 3.9 7 | 15 99 6.6 0 |

| 1994 sea | 16 | 333 1545 4.6 9 | 41 323 7.9 2 |

| 1995 sea | 16 | 310 1346 4.3 15 | 35 247 7.1 1 |

Priest Holmes

| 2000 bal | 16 | 137 588 4.3 2 | 32 221 6.9 0 |

| 2001 kan | 16 | 327 1555 4.8 8 | 62 614 9.9 2 |

| 2002 kan | 14 | 313 1615 5.2 21 | 70 672 9.6 3 |

| 2003 kan | 16 | 320 1420 4.4 27 | 74 690 9.3 0 |

| 2004 kan | 6 | 148 690 4.7 10 | 12 102 8.5 1 |

He has had no post season experience or success. Do you put a guy like Terrell Davis in? I put him in way before Priest.
Why? Is the fact that he didn't play on as talented of a team as Davis mean he's less of a player than Davis? Davis had a HOF QB to take the pressure off of him. Holmes is in the process of putting up his 3rd consecutive season of piling up statistics unlike any seen before. 51 TD's in two seasons is crazy considering only a handful of QB's have that many TD's in back to back years. He does this while carrying a team with one of the least talented WR corps in the NFL. He is on pace to be putting up over 2000 combined yards for the fourth consecutive year. He is the most dominant RB in the game today and that is what the HOF is all about, or should be.

Why? Is the fact that he didn't play on as talented of a team as Davis mean he's less of a player than Davis? Davis had a HOF QB to take the pressure off of him. Holmes is in the process of putting up his 3rd consecutive season of piling up statistics unlike any seen before. 51 TD's in two seasons is crazy considering only a handful of QB's have that many TD's in back to back years. He does this while carrying a team with one of the least talented WR corps in the NFL. He is on pace to be putting up over 2000 combined yards for the fourth consecutive year. He is the most dominant RB in the game today and that is what the HOF is all about, or should be.
Not that this should have any bearing on whether he goes to the HOF or not, but Holmes has had the benefit of playing behind the best OL in recent memory. Rob Konrad could get 1200 yds behind that line and score 10+ td's.

He deserves it WAY more than a compiler like Jerome Bettis IMO.
Come on. Bettis is on the all-time top 10 list. Even with that, he's iffy.Priest has to do more than have a couple of good seasons to make the Hall of Fame. The Hall is all about longevity and maintaining excellence over a long period of time. Whether or not you feel that should be the case (and I'm not so sure it should) - it's a fact of life. Priest is not there yet. 3 more years with this line in KC, then we're talking...

Come on. Bettis is on the all-time top 10 list. Even with that, he's iffy.Priest has to do more than have a couple of good seasons to make the Hall of Fame. The Hall is all about longevity and maintaining excellence over a long period of time. Whether or not you feel that should be the case (and I'm not so sure it should) - it's a fact of life. Priest is not there yet. 3 more years with this line in KC, then we're talking...
:goodposting:

He has had no post season experience or success.  Do you put a guy like Terrell Davis in?  I put him in way before Priest.
Not that this should have any bearing on whether he goes to the HOF or not, but Holmes has had the benefit of playing behind the best OL in recent memory. Rob Konrad could get 1200 yds behind that line and score 10+ td's.
Exactly. He's been playing behind a line that any RB could succeed behind. He's been dominate, but without a Superbowl ring he just has done it enough years to be in the HOF. Terrell Davis deserves it much more for bringing Denver 2 Superbowls.

I put him in without question.He's not having good seasons. He's not having great seasons. He's not having whatever comes beyond great seasons (elite seasons?). He's having seasons that are redefining the history of seasons. He and Faulk have redefined what it means to be an elite back. Priest is compiling yardage like Barry with TD's like Emmitt. He's OJ plus Riggins. He's ED without fumbling. He's Terrell Davis with a bigger share of the burden. He's Jim Brown in his prime. He's that good right now.Go back and look at the post above about Gale Sayers. There are some players whose performance transcends longevity. Sayers. To some extent Campbell, maybe. Guys like that. Priest isn't on the same plane. Priest is on a plane so far beyond what these men were doing that you can't reach it without bending the laws of physics. Keeping Priest out would be criminal.

I put him in without question.He's not having good seasons. He's not having great seasons. He's not having whatever comes beyond great seasons (elite seasons?). He's having seasons that are redefining the history of seasons. He and Faulk have redefined what it means to be an elite back. Priest is compiling yardage like Barry with TD's like Emmitt. He's OJ plus Riggins. He's ED without fumbling. He's Terrell Davis with a bigger share of the burden. He's Jim Brown in his prime. He's that good right now.Go back and look at the post above about Gale Sayers. There are some players whose performance transcends longevity. Sayers. To some extent Campbell, maybe. Guys like that. Priest isn't on the same plane. Priest is on a plane so far beyond what these men were doing that you can't reach it without bending the laws of physics. Keeping Priest out would be criminal.
A football-expert with a a fantasy-football-mind.The only thing amazing about Priest's performance has been his high touchdown totals in 2.5 years. Nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't worry, a TD in this season's Super Bowl & Bettis will get in!There goes Pittsburgh to the Super Bowl!

:stillers: :stillers:

I put him in without question.He's not having good seasons.  He's not having great seasons.  He's not having whatever comes beyond great seasons (elite seasons?).  He's having seasons that are redefining the history of seasons.  He and Faulk have redefined what it means to be an elite back.  Priest is compiling yardage like Barry with TD's like Emmitt.  He's OJ plus Riggins.  He's ED without fumbling.  He's Terrell Davis with a bigger share of the burden.  He's Jim Brown in his prime.  He's that good right now.Go back and look at the post above about Gale Sayers.  There are some players whose performance transcends longevity.  Sayers.  To some extent Campbell, maybe.  Guys like that.  Priest isn't on the same plane.  Priest is on a plane so far beyond what these men were doing that you can't reach it without bending the laws of physics.  Keeping Priest out would be criminal.
A football-expert with a a fantasy-football-mind.The only thing amazing about Priest's performance has been his high touchdown totals in 2.5 years. Nothing more, nothing less.
He's more than TD's. How many guys have gone over 2000 yards three times (probably 4 after this season) in a row? Faulk did it 98-01. Barry only got over 2000 combined twice in his career, same with Emmitt.

i agree, longevity should factor in as well as stats/accomplishments. But how do we explain the two guys pointed two the most when questionable HOF credentials get brought up, Gayle Sayers and Lynn Swann? Sayers was by all accounts, before his time and was a ground breaking type RB. Swanny? He has pedestrian receiving statistics, but was money in the playoffs and Super Bowls. I'm still wondering why Swann is in the HOF and Art Monk isn't. If Priest retires, the player with the most similar HOF resume is Terrell Davis and based on his resume, Davis deserves it more. MVP, rushing titles, 2000 yd season, two Super Bowl rings and a Super Bowl MVP. Priest needs 2-3 more seasons of what he's doing now and a MVP or ring to boot.

I put him in without question.He's not having good seasons.  He's not having great seasons.  He's not having whatever comes beyond great seasons (elite seasons?).  He's having seasons that are redefining the history of seasons.  He and Faulk have redefined what it means to be an elite back.  Priest is compiling yardage like Barry with TD's like Emmitt.  He's OJ plus Riggins.  He's ED without fumbling.  He's Terrell Davis with a bigger share of the burden.  He's Jim Brown in his prime.  He's that good right now.Go back and look at the post above about Gale Sayers.  There are some players whose performance transcends longevity.  Sayers.  To some extent Campbell, maybe.  Guys like that.  Priest isn't on the same plane.  Priest is on a plane so far beyond what these men were doing that you can't reach it without bending the laws of physics.  Keeping Priest out would be criminal.
He's more than TD's. How many guys have gone over 2000 yards three times (probably 4 after this season) in a row? Faulk did it 98-01. Barry only got over 2000 combined twice in his career, same with Emmitt.
Agreed. How many 2000+ combined yards 20+ TD seasons have there been in NFL history. He has two consecutive of them and is on pace for a third consecutive. Like Viv said, he does not have 3 good seasons, he has 3 record breaking seasons. His 2000+, 24TD season of two years ago was done in only 14 games. You guys are on crack who think that you could just plug anybody into that system and get Priest Holmes type season. The games he has missed have not seen people put up crazy numbers filling in for him. Blaylock has had some good running this year behind that line but most of it has been garbage time or late in the game when the defense was already worn down. A couple of years ago when Holmes went down and everybody rushed to pick up Mike Cloud what did he do those last two games of the season? Jack squat, that's what. I bet a lot of backs could have a successful fantasy season behind the Chief's line but there are very few who would come close to approaching 2000 yds and 20 TD's and no one in the league right now would get to 27 TD's. Look at the Denver Broncos. They had some very good seasons from different guys since Terrell Davis but none of them, not even Portis, quite reached the level of performance that Davis did.

The post comparing him to Sayers listed a lot more stats than TDs.

I agree that Holmes needs at LEAST another year or two at the pace he's going. That, or one more strong season and he leads them to the Super Bowl (win or lose). I think he's on the bubble, and just a bit more and he's in.But with him being 30 and him saying that he did contemplate retiring before this season (when the whole Ricky dibacle occurred), I don't know if he will continue on. I think that if they had continued down the path that they were, losing game after game, he would have. But with them starting to win again and making a push for the playoffs, I think it will renew his desire to continue and he may play another year.

If he goes over 2,000 yards rushing and breaks his own TD record this year, I don't see why not. Not sure why TD is even in the convo to be honest.Holmes has more total yards, TD's, receptions, receiving yards and a better YPC than Terrell Davis, and his numbers are growing. By the end of this season, Holmes could pass Davis' single season rushing mark of 2,008 and then the only thing TD would have on Holmes is the rings, nothing else. TD had 2, maybe 3 great seasons, Holmes is on his 4th.People say that Holmes runs behind the best line, but clrearly it's more than that. TD had an awesome line and an awesome scheme as well. TD's record is hurt by the fact that Mike Anderson, Clinton Portis, Olandis Gary and now Ruben Droughns have all had great success in that system. Clearly TD has the rings, but that's the only argument you can make for him. If Davis is even a consideration then Holmes is in.

No way...The only HOF Priest should be able to get into is the Fantasy Football HOF. If there was no fantasy football and no :eek: from fans about touchdowns, this would not even be a topic.

Look at:

Terry Allen

| 1992 min | 16 | 266 1201 4.5 13 | 49 478 9.8 2 |

| 1994 min | 16 | 255 1031 4.0 8 | 17 148 8.7 0 |

| 1995 was | 16 | 338 1309 3.9 10 | 31 232 7.5 1 |

| 1996 was | 16 | 347 1353 3.9 21 | 32 194 6.1 0 |

Ricky Watters

1995 phi | 16 | 337 1273 3.8 11 | 62 434 7.0 1 |

| 1996 phi | 16 | 353 1411 4.0 13 | 51 444 8.7 0 |

| 1997 phi | 16 | 285 1110 3.9 7 | 48 440 9.2 0 |

| 1998 sea | 16 | 319 1239 3.9 9 | 52 373 7.2 0 |

| 1999 sea | 16 | 325 1210 3.7 5 | 40 387 9.7 2 |

| 2000 sea | 16 | 278 1242 4.5 7 | 63 613 9.7 2 |

Gerald Riggs

1984 atl | 15 | 353 1486 4.2 13 | 42 277 6.6 0 |

| 1985 atl | 16 | 397 1719 4.3 10 | 33 267 8.1 0 |

| 1986 atl | 16 | 343 1327 3.9 9 | 24 136 5.7 0 |

Chris Warren

| 1992 sea | 16 | 223 1017 4.6 3 | 16 134 8.4 0 |

| 1993 sea | 14 | 273 1072 3.9 7 | 15 99 6.6 0 |

| 1994 sea | 16 | 333 1545 4.6 9 | 41 323 7.9 2 |

| 1995 sea | 16 | 310 1346 4.3 15 | 35 247 7.1 1 |

Priest Holmes

| 2000 bal | 16 | 137 588 4.3 2 | 32 221 6.9 0 |

| 2001 kan | 16 | 327 1555 4.8 8 | 62 614 9.9 2 |

| 2002 kan | 14 | 313 1615 5.2 21 | 70 672 9.6 3 |

| 2003 kan | 16 | 320 1420 4.4 27 | 74 690 9.3 0 |

| 2004 kan | 6 | 148 690 4.7 10 | 12 102 8.5 1 |
What is the purpose of this post? Holmes looks better than all of them to me without the TD's.

The Hall is all about longevity and maintaining excellence over a long period of time.
This is what you need to figure out and base your argument around.If Evil is correct--and longevity is truly what the HOF is about--then the Don Suttons and Art Monks of the world belong, and Priest does not.If Evil is wrong, and the HOF is about rewarding the best of the best--the Gayle Sayers, Sandy Koufax'--then Priest belongs.Just like I said in the Art Monk thread, MO is the HOF is for the best of the best. Give me TD and Priest. You guys can keep Monk and Co.

Lynn Swann has no business being in the hall if longevity is that big a part of it. Priest is on his 4th amazing season, 5th 1,000 yd season -- people are saying he needs to lead his team to a SB win to get in the Hall: but he doesn't play linebacker or safety, which is why KC won't win a SB. You're blaming him for the team's atrocious defense. The guy is doing things Marshall Faulk didn't do in his prime.I'm not saying he should definately get in, but a guy like Bettis, who was very good, should not be in over a guy like Priest, who was arguably the best all purpose RB in the game going on 3-4 years. Bettis was NEVER the best RB in the game.

I put him in without question.

He's not having good seasons. He's not having great seasons. He's not having whatever comes beyond great seasons (elite seasons?). He's having seasons that are redefining the history of seasons. He and Faulk have redefined what it means to be an elite back. Priest is compiling yardage like Barry with TD's like Emmitt. He's OJ plus Riggins. He's ED without fumbling. He's Terrell Davis with a bigger share of the burden. He's Jim Brown in his prime. He's that good right now.

Go back and look at the post above about Gale Sayers. There are some players whose performance transcends longevity. Sayers. To some extent Campbell, maybe. Guys like that. Priest isn't on the same plane. Priest is on a plane so far beyond what these men were doing that you can't reach it without bending the laws of physics. Keeping Priest out would be criminal.
Let's play some Devil's Advocate with this information. I just follow the history of the game and thought I would add this to the mix. I have no real opinion either way on the matter. Gale Sayers' career was cut down by injury, which is another debate in and of itself, but keep that in perspective. Holmes does not fit into this catergory. He got bumped out by Jamal Lewis in Baltimore. He, Holmes, lost playing time to another player during relatively healthy years. Holmes did have some injury problems but not to Sayer's extent.

Jim Brown left the game in his prime as the best RB ever. He walked away in his physical peak period holding most or all major records for his position. Nobody was even close to the stats he compiled, when he retired. Brown also played on a Championship team just about every year in the league. Neither of these points apply to Holmes.

Roger Craig redefined the RB position in the mid 80's. He was the first RB with a combined 2,000 from scrimmage, 1,000 passing & 1,000 rushing. Craig not Faulk nor Holmes was the first player to do that.

For sake of the argument take a look at how players in the HOF matched up with their contemporaries versus how Holmes compares to his. As previously mentioned, absolutely nobody could compare to Brown. The progression of the next great backs would be Riggins, Harris, Payton, Dorsett and Campbell. The talent gap is a little closer but Sweetness is by far and away the leader.

Allen and Dickerson would be next in the progression to be followed by the players at the tail end of the 80's and early 90's, such as Sanders; Smith, Bettis, Faulk, C. Martin. There are a few more 2,000 yard seasons and championship rings in that group, as well as the rushing and scoring records. It is fairly clear cut what players dominated each respective decade.

Conversely, Holmes is playing with and against Jamal Lewis( Ring & 2,000 yard season), Tomlinson (record for catches in season by RB), M. Faulk (Was as good as Holmes), E. James (he's a stretch but still has compiled more yards from scrimmage faster than players not named J. Brown and M. Faulk.) and T. Davis (Rings & 2,000 yard season). The gap in talent and on field achievement appears to be much closer and it could be argued the only differentiator is the scoring, where Holmes is clearly superior.

When compared against players from the past, Holmes career yardage statistics come up short, as do the championships. (Yes, he won a ring playing for the Ravens, while backing up J. Lewis.) When compared with the current level of competition, he has peers that garner yards comparable to his but they, peers, do fall extremely short in the scoring catergory.

Tough call but, considering the number of years he has managed to maintain this production regardless of championship games he helped decide, it would appear he warrants strong consideration.

I can guarantee a couple of guys on that offensive line will get HOF consideration. Willie Roaf and Will Shields should both get into "the hall". Tony Gonzalez is likely to be a first ballot hall of famer. So I don't want to hear about Priest not having any talent around him. He is putting up spectacular numbers because he has an endless well of talent playing directly in front of him.I still think he is already a shoe-in for Canton based on the past 3 1/2 seasons. It comes down to the one thing that people keep mentioning, but are failing to emphasize enough. Statistically speaking, what he has done is unbelievable. It has never been done before and is unlikely to be done anytime soon. In fact, you would be hard pressed to find a four year span of any running back's career that even comes close to the phenomenon that is Priest Holmes.

Why? Is the fact that he didn't play on as talented of a team as Davis mean he's less of a player than Davis? Davis had a HOF QB to take the pressure off of him.
I'm sorry, but the reality of the situation is that if a player does not have post season success it's a huge strike against him. Sure, players like Barry Sanders and Marino are a little different in that they were consistently high performers for many years and own tons of records. Look at a guy like Dan Dierdorf. The guy was voted by players as the best lineman in the league multiple years and was a consisten Pro-Bowler and it took years for him to finally get recognized as HOF worthy because he never did anything in the post season. If you don't think that Post Season Success isn't a factor I would like you to listen to or look at the stats listed on a guy going into the HOF. One of the first 3 stats will be SB wins. It usually goes something like the career yardage leader for X stat, X time MVP or Probowler and X SB wins. It's incredibly important. The NFL isn't about stats. Fantasy Football is about stats. The NFL is about wins and more importantly post season wins, particularly the SB.

By some posts here, Vinny T. is a sure thing!!!! If Priest played in some other markets, he'd be in there NOW.

Ricky Watters(and Rob Moore for that matter) were not dominant athletes but have very gaudy stats. They'll be very interesting when they're eligible.I'd compare Priest to Al Toon or Sterling Sharpe or Mark Bavaro right now, he's on his way as they were. They fell short and their careers came to a screeching halt. Alot of people lllllllllllove Mark Bavaro as a man+TE. But he ain't in. He was arguably one of the most dominant players ever. He ain't in.Stat wise, how bout lil Joe?| 1985 nyg | 16 | 294 1336 4.5 21 | 22 212 9.6 0 || 1986 nyg | 15 | 341 1516 4.4 14 | 21 233 11.1 1 |Two rock solid seasons. At the time, 21 TDs may have been the most ever.Hmmm...I think that's a pretty good comparison there.

From a performance alone perspective, Priest Holmes has OUT performed Terrell Davis!A better yards per carry ----- 4.706 vs 4.596A better yards per reception ----- 8.883 vs 7.574He has scored nearly 30% more TD's in the same amount of years [7], and he has half a season to go!If Terrell Davis deserves to be in the Hall of Fame, then so does Priest Holmes.

He has had no post season experience or success.  Do you put a guy like Terrell Davis in?  I put him in way before Priest.
Why? Is the fact that he didn't play on as talented of a team as Davis mean he's less of a player than Davis? Davis had a HOF QB to take the pressure off of him.
I'm sorry, but the reality of the situation is that if a player does not have post season success it's a huge strike against him. Sure, players like Barry Sanders and Marino are a little different in that they were consistently high performers for many years and own tons of records. Look at a guy like Dan Dierdorf. The guy was voted by players as the best lineman in the league multiple years and was a consisten Pro-Bowler and it took years for him to finally get recognized as HOF worthy because he never did anything in the post season. If you don't think that Post Season Success isn't a factor I would like you to listen to or look at the stats listed on a guy going into the HOF. One of the first 3 stats will be SB wins. It usually goes something like the career yardage leader for X stat, X time MVP or Probowler and X SB wins. It's incredibly important. The NFL isn't about stats. Fantasy Football is about stats. The NFL is about wins and more importantly post season wins, particularly the SB.
While I tend to agree with that overall, I believe Priest is a special exception - he will have graduated the NFL with a three year rushing TD record, which will likely land him in the HOF, along with the most TDs in a single season - he has some records.That said, I think Priest plays again next year and nails down his place in the HOF.

P.S. - I didn't read it all, but if TD's 2G season and two rings get him in the HOF (which I think they will), Priest's three year stomp through the league puts him in there, too.

From a performance alone perspective, Priest Holmes has OUT performed Terrell Davis!A better yards per carry ----- 4.706 vs 4.596A better yards per reception ----- 8.883 vs 7.574He has scored nearly 30% more TD's in the same amount of years [7], and he has half a season to go!If Terrell Davis deserves to be in the Hall of Fame, then so does Priest Holmes.
Super Bowls, MVP's, Super Bowl MVP's?Stats are nice, but they are so close that Davis being the focal point of 2 Super Bowl winning teams easily puts him over Holmes.

Lynn Swann has no business being in the hall if longevity is that big a part of it. Priest is on his 4th amazing season, 5th 1,000 yd season -- people are saying he needs to lead his team to a SB win to get in the Hall: but he doesn't play linebacker or safety, which is why KC won't win a SB. You're blaming him for the team's atrocious defense. The guy is doing things Marshall Faulk didn't do in his prime.I'm not saying he should definately get in, but a guy like Bettis, who was very good, should not be in over a guy like Priest, who was arguably the best all purpose RB in the game going on 3-4 years. Bettis was NEVER the best RB in the game.
Lynn Swann has 4 rings, a Super Bowl MVP, and played in an era where receivers didn't catch 120 passes a year. Winning championships is a HUGE part of the equation in the minds of the voters.Priest has one ring, but did little to contribute to that. If the Chiefs can win a couple of Super Bowls behind him, he's a shoo-in.The Art Monk example does illustrate a flaw in my previous argument. I still can't figure out why he isn't in, but upon reconsidering, it seems winning is even MORE important than longevity and sustained excellence. In this area Holmes still comes up lacking.For the record, let me just say I think Holmes may very well be deserving of enshrinement, I am suggesting that the VOTERS may not put him in.

What is the purpose of this post? Holmes looks better than all of them to me without the TD's.
Those were official statistics, posted and shared. You can make of them whatever you want, everybody is entitled to their own opinion.

Whodat,very nice post.You didn't mention OJ, found that a curious omission esp when you went on to talk about 2k yard seasons.I would add that Gale Sayers played in a time that the game was very different. It was extremely violent. When you hear of "clotheslines" being common and "head hunters", players getting paid "secret" bonuses to injure a player, players taping pennies on their knuckles, purposely stepping on players with nasty spike sneaks...this is the time folks are referring to. Gale's career ending injury changed the game. The marketable player, the main attraction was gone and would put a halt to football business in that market. Halas?(not sure if it's him) one of the so called founding fathers of the modern NFL was very much against rule changes and thought the game should remain violent. The violence was appealing. The majority disagreed and the rules changed.Today we have rules to protect QBs, late hit rules, this and that and.....it all started then.Most say Gale played a short career but Gale actually played longer than most RBs did back then. They were targets. It's almost a contradiction to say he hada short career.I don't think it's fair to compare him to other backs. There's plenty of others with displays of greatness but far too brief careers(like Earl Campbell) that make more sense.BTW Sweetness mentioned this in a biography I read.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ricky Watters(and Rob Moore for that matter) were not dominant athletes but have very gaudy stats. They'll be very interesting when they're eligible.I'd compare Priest to Al Toon or Sterling Sharpe or Mark Bavaro right now, he's on his way as they were. They fell short and their careers came to a screeching halt. Alot of people lllllllllllove Mark Bavaro as a man+TE. But he ain't in. He was arguably one of the most dominant players ever. He ain't in.Stat wise, how bout lil Joe?| 1985 nyg | 16 | 294 1336 4.5 21 | 22 212 9.6 0 || 1986 nyg | 15 | 341 1516 4.4 14 | 21 233 11.1 1 |Two rock solid seasons. At the time, 21 TDs may have been the most ever.Hmmm...I think that's a pretty good comparison there.
Rob Moore has gaudy stats? He had one good season in his career and didn't even eclipse 10 TD's in that season. He is so far from being a HoFer that it is humorous that his name would even come up during one of these discussions. Comparing him to Priest is an insult to Holmes. Watters is more remarkable but never came close to having a single season comparable to any season Holmes has had since arriving in Kansas City. Did he ever have over 60 TD's and 6000 yards in a three year span? Has anybody done this? He's on pace for over 80 TD's and 8000 yards in a 4 year span. That is just incredible and noone has done that before. As for his time in Baltimore, he isn't the first guy to be misused with one team and finally show what he can do when he gets in the right situation. He had success with the Ravens but they had another RB who was very talented that they felt was a better fit there.

Users who are viewing this thread