What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Improved Offenses (1 Viewer)

Robert Kulovany

Footballguy
Please give me you take on the top three most improved offenses this year. Which players within each of these systems will show the most improvement?

This really should wait until after the draft buuuuuuut:

1. Arizona (running game will get a big boost from Edge assuming the line is any better at all)

2. Dallas (TO)

3. Houston? Can only go Up right?

I think the Raiders will be on the upswing - they surely underperformed with that talent base last year.

Brooks is not a good NFL QB, but he can put up some points. Add in Moss, Porter and Jordan, and the offense should improve this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Redskins because of the addition of Al Saunders. Also getting more WR's helps, of course. Redskins offense was not consistent last year until mid to late season, Saunders should help create a more consistent explosive offense.

Houston

Raiders

Jets

Houston is getting Bush, which is an automatci good upgrade

Raiders upgrade is more by the numbers - I suspect Aaron Brooks will continue to be a good fantasy QB in Oakland, and I think Lamont Jordan will also have better YPC with a healthy Moss on the field.

Jets will likely be starting a legitimate NFL QB for more games than they did last year. I think Lavernues Coles will see better numbers.

(1) Houston: great additions in Gary Kubiak, Eric Moulds, Mike Flanagan, Jeb Putzier, and -- likely -- Reggie Bush

(2) Miami: should get a boost from their 2nd year under Saban, 2nd year for Ronnie Brown (without the R.Williams vulture/distraction), and adding Culpepper

(3) Minnesota: Steve Hutchinson, Tony Richardson, and Chester Taylor shift this team into run-first mode; and they also have receiver talent in Koren Robinson, Travis Taylor, Marcus Robinson, Troy Williamson, and Jermaine Wiggins

zipping through divisions...

AFC East - nobody stands out to me

AFC North - i could see BAL being much better if boller & jamal lewis play better... CLE if braylon & winslow get healthy, but there are some question marks there...

AFC South - JAX if WRs like reggie williams & matt jones break out... HOU seems like a no brainer... they HAVE to be one of top 3 most improved...

AFC West - OAK... brooks could be an upgrade, if he can get ball to moss & porter i could see them vastly improved on offense (their defense will still be appallingly bad)...

NFC East - DAL should be much improved with addition of TO, if JJ can stay healthy (marion barber is solid if not) & improved OL... WAS should also be better with base three WR set (moss, lloyd & ARE), cooley & portis... concerns are brunell could turn into a pumpkin... also, has lloyd actually signed a contract yet?

NFC North - DET could be better with martz at OC, kitna/mccown upgrade over harrington, roy could be emergent star, hopefully mike williams or rogers show something & KJ has upside...

NFC South - TB could be better if caddy & michael clayton are healthy & TE alex smith has a year of experience... NO could be better IF brees shoulder is OK, horn was hurt a lot, stallworth may be emerging, deuce was hurta lot, payton could be improvement as far as offensive design...

NFC West - STL could be better with linehan running more balanced attack, using jax more, bulger only played half season last year... ARI could be much better if OL improves... edge was one of biggest FA adds on offense to any team league wide...

1 - HOU

2 - DET

3 - STL

just missed - OAK, TB & DAL

1 - HOU

2 - DET

3 - STL

just missed - OAK & TB
surprised this is the only vote for Det so far. If Martz is anything he's a very talented offensive mind, so I'd expect a much improved unit that feilds some solid talent that has thus far underachieved.

Lions.

Biggest ff beneficiary of Mike Martz: Roy Williams.
I get your point but it's hard for Kitna to not be the biggest improvement/beneficiary of Martz seeing how little he played in 05.

zipping through divisions...

AFC East - nobody stands out to me

AFC North - i could see BAL being much better if boller & jamal lewis play better... CLE if braylon & winslow get healthy, but there are some question marks there...

AFC South - JAX if WRs like reggie williams & matt jones break out... HOU seems like a no brainer... they HAVE to be one of top 3 most improved...

AFC West - brooks could be an upgrade, if he can get ball to moss & porter i could see them vastly improved on offense (their defense will still be appallingly bad)...

NFC East - DAL should be much improved with addition of TO, if JJ can stay healthy (marion barber is solid if not) & improved OL... WAS should also be better with base three WR set (moss, lloyd & ARE), cooley & portis... concerns are brunell could turn into a pumpkin... also, has lloyd actually signed a contract yet?

NFC North - DET could be better with martz at OC, kitna/mccown upgrade over harrington, roy could be emergent star, hopefully mike williams or rogers show something & KJ has upside

NFC South - TB could be better if caddy & michael clayton are healthy & TE alex smith has a year of experience... NO could be better IF brees shoulder is OK, horn was hurt a lot, stallworth may be emerging, deuce was hurta lot, payton could be improved as far as offensive design

NFC West - STL could be better with linehan running more balanced attack, using jax more, bulger only played half season last year... ARI could be much better if OL improves... edge was one of biggest FA on offense to any team league wide...

1 - HOU

2 - DET

3 - STL

just missed - OAK & TB
New Orleans is a true dark horse. Getting Deuce back and having a Pro Bowl QB for stability under center adds a lot of weight back there. The queston is most improved offenses, and NO was a terrible offense last year, scoring just 235 points (under 15 PPG).

Cleveland improved themselves considerably with both O-line help and JJ. Winslow has to help, and a balanced attack has to help Reuben Droughns. Frye could be like Eli, coming in as a sophomore ready to produce.

Houston added talent in Moulds and is about to get that much better with Reggie Bush. If AJ plays all season, they could be another dark horse.

Miami and Detroit get much of the adoration here, but I'm going with:

NO

CLE

HOU

Some of the teams I am looking at;

NY Giants (Coughlin, Manning in year 3), Detroit Lions (Mike Martz - even though I do hate him) and the Houston Texans (they will have some weapons, DD, Bush, Johnson, Moulds)

I'd say Arizona is first. Anytime you go from no running game at all to having one of the best backs in the NFL, that is a big step in the right direction.

Then I'd say the addition of Mike Martz alone will elevate the Lions offense.

Then I'd say Houston with the probable addition of Bush and Moulds.

Cleveland with Bentley and JJ and the return of KWJ are better, but losing Braylon Edwards (he won't be anywhere near 100 percent this year) really puts them out of the top three here. But they are headed in the right direction.

1. Arizona (running game will get a big boost from Edge assuming the line is any better at all)

2. Dallas (TO)

3. Houston?  Can only go Up right?
1. Browns2. Az.

3. Houston

some`what if` teams:

2. Ravens - McNair lends instant credibility to that offense if he is released by

Tennessee and signs in Baltimore..Mason and Lewis would greatly benefit from his presence ( a legit QB vs. a ho-hum guy like Boller)

Jets - Leinart, and if they can possibly get larry maroney or Lendale White at #29 that would be sweet

3. Jags - if Lefty stays healthy, if Fraud Taylor stays healthy, and if Matt Jones takes a step up and has a breakout season...the offense looked impressive at times last year with Lefty under center.

I'd say Arizona is first. Anytime you go from no running game at all to having one of the best backs in the NFL, that is a big step in the right direction.

Then I'd say the addition of Mike Martz alone will elevate the Lions offense.

Then I'd say Houston with the probable addition of Bush and Moulds.

Cleveland with Bentley and JJ and the return of KWJ are better, but losing Braylon Edwards (he won't be anywhere near 100 percent this year) really puts them out of the top three here. But they are headed in the right direction.
LIONS!!! :goodposting:

Martz will make a huge impact on that offense...!

It always helps to add highly rated players at skill positions, but don't overlook or undervalue the benefits of improving the offensive line. I think the Lions will make a lot of progress offensively this year, but I'm not sold on it until they improve their line with some players that are more than recycled, perrenially injured players. That said, I'll remain optimistic with Mike Martz running the show.

The teams I see taking the biggest strides forward are:

1. Houston

Assuming they get Bush, adding Moulds and the new coaching staff (Kubiak, Sherman, etc) seems like a vast improvement on paper over the previous regime. However, they still need to improve the offensive line up front or all of these skill position upgrades may not make as big of a difference as expected.

2. Chicago

Offensive line is already solid. TJ is back and Cedric Benson will be better. Brian Griese adds some stability behind the brittle Rex Grossman. Muhammad is a solid pro WR and the others are still getting better as they gain experience. If they improve at TE (possibly drafting a TE on day one of the draft), they could be a well-balanced offensive team.

3. Washington

Portis, Moss and Cooley were the offense last year. Add Randle-El, Brandon Lloyd and an offensive line that is already pretty good when healthy, and this team could be more balanced in the passing game, which could mean better things from Portis and the running game. Oh, Al Saunders knows a thing or two about offense, too.

Others:

Cleveland - Hard to keep them out of my top three. Romeo Crennel seems intent on improving the offensive line play adding two potentially impact players via free agency. Dilfer brings stability, Frye adds a little youth and excitement as the guy who could guide this new offense into the future. The main reason I don't have them in the top three is the not-so-certain status of Braylon Edwards and KW2. The running game should be sound, for the most part. If their two young playmakers are at or near full strength by mid-season the Browns should be much improved, but I don't necessarily think Edwards will be 100% this year and KW2 might never be the player he was expected to be after his injuries.

Dallas - Adding TO helps big-time, until his mouth gets in the way. We'll see how this one plays out.

Arizona - Already a prolific passing offense, they'll be more balanced in 2006, but they still need to improve their line. Getting healthier will go along ways, but adding another player or two would also help.

Minnesota - Adding Hutchinson is huge. Chester Taylor should help, too. Losing C-Pep could go either way, but they need to add another talented QB behind Brad Johnson. I'm not sold on the Vikings improving a ton, but they have a good offensive mind running the show and they have a good looking offensive line if Birk is healthy to go with Hutchinson and McKinnie.

San Francisco - There's only one way to go from last year.. UP. Alex Smith was awfully shaky last year, but let's assume he improves this year. If they add someone like Vernon Davis in the draft, get a healthy Arnaz Battle and a hungry (but brittle) Frank Gore, then there are some things to build around here. Of course, they have a long ways to go, but at the very least there is some potential for a couple players in this offense to become nice sleepers in 2006.

Is it going to be the trendy thing to not include Dallas in this list because Owens is unpopular?
Good point, Fred.. I didn't rank them as highly because I think they were already a decent offensive team last year. They were far from being great, but they weren't nearly bottom of the barrel as Chicago, Houston, San Fran, Detroit, etc. That said, TO absolutely makes their offense a lot better. As others will surely point out, it also makes them more volatile.. in every sense.

Miami - when CPep is ready

Arizona - They have the EDGE

Dallas - TO on the star

Detroit - They finally have a QB(s)

Not necessarily in that order but they all have improved. I think NO will be better too.

hard to come up with anything that hasnt already been covered

my top 3:

1. Houston - Kubiak is HUGE, Moulds (mentor for Andre) is big, Putzier is an upgrade in the receiving game, and the line should improve with better coaching. Bush would just be the cherry on top at this point.

2. Dallas - TO + Fabini :thumbup: (for the short term at least)

3. Washington - Saunders is a terrific OC, and now there's guys to throw to after Moss and Cooley.

3. Washington - Saunders is a terrific OC, and now there's guys to throw to after Moss and Cooley.
KC didn't throw too often to anyone other than Priest/LJ, Tony, and Kennison? Whaddya got for expectations from the other folks in Washington?

KC didn't throw too often to anyone other than Priest/LJ, Tony, and Kennison? Whaddya got for expectations from the other folks in Washington?
I don't see any good fantasy prospects after Cooley and Moss, but having secondary receivers (ARE, Lloyd, maybe a healthy Patten) who are at least competent, if not decent threats in their own right, will be a big improvement for this offense. Last year's WR corps after Moss was :X

could anyone who listed the Browns please explain?

losing Bryant, and having Braylon out for what will likely be half the season makes me none to excited about their offense.

now, the defense, on the other hand...

2. Dallas (TO)

3. Houston? Can only go Up right?
:goodposting:

losing Bryant, and having Braylon out for what will likely be half the season makes me none to excited about their offense.

Not to meantion the chaos at QB for them.Browns will stink next year.

Not to meantion the chaos at QB for them.Browns will stink next year.
IF the defense is improved, and IF they can get a running game going, they may put up some rushing numbers, but the Offense as a whole i think will be disappointing.so i'm curious to hear the optomistic side from someone that lists them as one of the most improved for next year.

Houston

Raiders

Jets

Houston is getting Bush, which is an automatci good upgrade

Raiders upgrade is more by the numbers - I suspect Aaron Brooks will continue to be a good fantasy QB in Oakland, and I think Lamont Jordan will also have better YPC with a healthy Moss on the field.

Jets will likely be starting a legitimate NFL QB for more games than they did last year. I think Lavernues Coles will see better numbers.
A "healthy" Moss, you say? Hmm . . .

Arizona based on Edge and a new O-line coach with some knowladge of how to run a oline.
Arizona has had a new O line coach three years in a row now. Heck Denny Green fired the last one midway into the season (Or it might have been the one from the year before ).Hint: I do not think it is coaching.

Redskins - Al Saunders, nuff said.

Buffalo - any improvement at the line, and we'll start to see McGahee and Evans live up to their potential

Arizona - Edge, nuff said

Browns get my early vote for most improved across the board. On offense they upgraded the O-Line which is where it all starts. Bentley anchoring the pivot along with Shaffer at LT should translate to 20% more efficient running which should lead to more points. QB position should be set with Frye. The defense could be sick this year and I hear there is a chance Ty Law signs too. That also gives the Browns the ball more often.

HOU-is another easy choice. Carr should finally live up to his hype with the additions of Kubiak, Moulds the OL additions and of course Reggie Bush.

The third is the toughest because you could look at so many teams like Miami, Detroit, Arizona etc..

I'm going to go with SF because they sucked so bad that even a modest increase in production equals a huge percentage upswing. Gore at starting RB, A Smith has another year under his belt. I sort of predict that they take V Davis at TE. I still think L Allen has enough in the tank to improve this line.

Users who are viewing this thread