What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In Your Most Important League - Did The Team With Most Regular Season Points Make The Finals? (1 Viewer)

In Your Most Important League - Did The Team With Most Regular Season Points Make The Finals?

• Yes

Votes: 60 52.6%
  • No

Votes: 54 47.4%

• Total voters

Joe Bryant

Guide
Staff member
In Your Most Important League - Did The Team With Most Regular Season Points Make The Finals?

And yes, I know some finals are not this week. If that's you, please answer next week or whenever your finals are. 

in 3 leagues yes
in 4 leagues no

I'd assume it happens about this ratio around 60% of the time.

No in 2 leagues.

i am #8 seed and knocked off high scorer week 1 and defending champion week 2.  Was #1 seed in other league, and high scorer, and lost to #8 seed in first round. 

No, I knocked him out last week. The fact that he was missing Ekeler, Fournette and Hopkins may have been a factor.

I was the #4 seed, 2nd in points.

I'm in the finals playing the #6 seed, who was 8th in points during the regular season.

But that's FF, gotta peak at the right time, and his guys have been terrific the last two weeks.

• #1 seed, 4th in points - playing for 3rd place
  • #2 seed, 3rd in points - 3rd place game this weekend
  • #3 seed, 1st in points - lost first round, finished in 5th place by winning last week (done done)

Yup.

Me.

As usual a couple of high scoring / high points against teams got screwed and didn't make the playoffs. Usual griping.

In our league, in something that rarely happens, #1 and #2 in points and standings is in the finals. I started 0-3 and have not lost since. I'm down my top 2 receivers this week though so this is probably where it ends. 

My most important leagues do not have playoffs.  The team with the best record at the end of the season wins the title.  This helps lower the luck factor as one bad week in the playoffs doesn't kill your season.  In those two leagues the highest scoring team is in 3rd place (two games out of first with two to play) and in the other they are in first place holding a one game lead with two to play.  

In the couple of playoff leagues one Super Bowl is between the #1 and #2 seeds which also were the highest scoring teams and in the other it is the #8 and #10 seeds in the Super Bowl and the highest scoring team lost in the semi-finals. 

In 4 out of 4 leagues, yes the points leader made the finals.  

In 2 out of 4 the finals feature the top two points scorers. 

My most important leagues do not have playoffs.  The team with the best record at the end of the season wins the title.  This helps lower the luck factor as one bad week in the playoffs doesn't kill your season.  In those two leagues the highest scoring team is in 3rd place (two games out of first with two to play) and in the other they are in first place holding a one game lead with two to play.  

In the couple of playoff leagues one Super Bowl is between the #1 and #2 seeds which also were the highest scoring teams and in the other it is the #8 and #10 seeds in the Super Bowl and the highest scoring team lost in the semi-finals. 
It's always fun to see a wild card team that barely made the playoffs make a run for the ship, but I don't think I've ever seen two in one year.  Kudos to those teams

No in my 16 team PPR league.  Points leader lost in the semifinals.  Stafford and Tyreek Hill let him down. (Opponent started AJ Brown, Waddle, Antonio Brown, Mark Andrews, and Dallas DST).  

No.  Top scorer lost in the semis.  The 2nd and 3rd scorers are in the finals though, so not a travesty by any means.

It's always fun to see a wild card team that barely made the playoffs make a run for the ship, but I don't think I've ever seen two in one year.  Kudos to those teams
It's a low dollar father-kid league which we started to get the kids hooked for fantasy football.  Because of that everyone makes the playoffs so they continue to work their team and not give up on a season.   It's been fun and everyone enjoys it.  Unfortunately I was the #1 seed (and highest scoring team by far) and got booted by the 10th seed (one of the kids teams).  Brady and my kicker hurt not to mention a late change of Tee HIggins to Penny ended up costing me the win.  Ugh.  Singletary with 12 pts and my Mike Evans being out also was not good.  

Yes in 3 of 4 leagues (my teams bolded):

• Dynasty #1 - #1 seed (#1 in victory points, #2 in points) vs. #3 seed (#3 in VPs, #1 in points) in weeks 17-18 double elimination championship
  • Dynasty #2 - #1 seed (#1 in VPs, #1 in points) vs. #4 seed (#4 in VPs, #2 in points) in week 17 championship
  • Dynasty #3 - #2 seed (#7 in points) vs. #5 seed (#3 in points) in week 17 championship
  • Redraft #1 - #1 seed (#1 in points) vs. #2 seed (#2 in points) in week 17 championship

We are a total points league, so we don’t have playoffs and the one with the most points is the winner. We do head to head only for division champions/some $ payout.

No, they lost to the team with the 3rd most overall regular season points last weekend (by .66 pts).   Championship will be #3 vs #4 in regular season points. 

The 2nd highest scoring team in the regular season didn't even make the playoffs (6 teams). That would be me. 

Top 2 teams in my league both missed the playoffs.(first time I've ever seen that)

Finals are the 4th highest scorer (me) and the 5th

Last edited by a moderator:
It's actually better for the better teams.  I like it much better than playoff leagues.  
It is better but it's boring because even the 3rd best team can be eliminated with a few weeks left and it makes it boring all season for bottom teams who have almost no shot

It is better but it's boring because even the 3rd best team can be eliminated with a few weeks left and it makes it boring all season for bottom teams who have almost no shot
We pay down the top 5 places (14 teams) and if you are eliminated from a money spot you are eligible for the elimination bonus where the highest scoring team eliminated from a money spot earns money the final four weeks.  There is something to play for for everyone

No 

2nd highest scoring(me) beat him in the semifinals 

I’ll be playing a team that got into the playoffs with a losing record 

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a lot of this depends on how many teams make playoffs. There's some silly 8-make leagues out there and in those leagues it's much harder for the points champ to make the finals. 

I don’t really have a “most important league” but the rate was 5 top scorers out of 12 leagues made the finals.

Unfortunately in 3 of those instances where the top scorer did not make the finals, it was me. Just got killed with injuries/Covid and some lacklustre performances over the last two weeks.

IN my biggest league...yes and I get to face this buzz saw in the finals.

Had one league though, where the top TWO scorers didnt even make the playoffs (including me)

No, they lost all of their rbs to injury or covid in the semis and ended up scoring their lowest point total all year.

Same thing happened to me the week before, except it was injury/covid mixed with the Brady NO blank game.

#2 vs #4. Top seed had an impossibly bad week 15. Brady, Najee, Kamara, Montgomery, Godwin, Dionte, McLaurin, and Kittle all collectively scored about half of what they average. It was unbelievable. Easily his worst week of the season 

It's actually better for the better teams.  I like it much better than playoff leagues.  
This has been discussed in other head-to-head  vs total points threads - the main downside to total points leagues is that once you’re out early, the excitement factor definitely wanes. But it’s also a sense of accomplishment/pride for winning the long game rather than a hot/lucky team in the playoffs. Plus we’re a deep keeper total points league, so you still need to build your team even when out of it.

This has been discussed in other head-to-head  vs total points threads - the main downside to total points leagues is that once you’re out early, the excitement factor definitely wanes. But it’s also a sense of accomplishment/pride for winning the long game rather than a hot/lucky team in the playoffs. Plus we’re a deep keeper total points league, so you still need to build your team even when out of it.
Ya I still think it's boring. You can have a great team and lose a guy for most of the season but back for playoffs and you won't win anything. 

You can easily have a big lead going into the final 2 weeks and just coast to the title. 

Plus like you say, many many many teams (especially in total points non dynasty leagues) are out so early.

And most importantly, no playoff push, no exciting weeks that come down to Monday night games and needing X to win the game. No cheering against your opponents' players.  All of this stuff is the majority of what makes fantasy exciting. 

Yeah, I'd say in the league I've paid most attention to, the top total points team is in the finals. 

The question is, though, I suppose one is getting at is: How do you value that and what format are you playing in? I've played in a total points league where everybody was out of it thanks to a buzzsaw by Week Eight, really. That's no fun. 

Personally, I like playoffs and head-to-head. Gives me something to root for all year. Deamon's points above are all well-taken and I find ring true. There should generally be a top six or top four (depending on whether you have divisions). It keeps it interesting, keeps people involved, and provides that weekly impetus to cheer and not cheer for guys.  

It was me and no. Lost in the semifinals and posted my lowest score of the year. Then would have posted one of the highest scores of the year in the finals. Oh well, that's how this hobby goes sometimes. 

I know of a few leagues that do this. They're serious type leagues and the GMs love the longer view of it. I can definitely see that. I don't think that's boring at all. 

But the great thing about fantasy football is you get to play how you like. 

No

5 teams finished ahead of both finals teams, however the finals teams are the #1 seed vs #6 seed (me). We are currently less than 1 point apart.

Users who are viewing this thread