What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite Tampa Bay Bucs thread: Somehow not on the list of teams to never have won a Super Bowl (3 Viewers)

With a vested interest in Trent Richardson, Tampa has quickly gone from a potential destination I was not fond of to one that I'm actually hoping he may end up in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there even a left tackle in the league that makes that much? Guy is going to be the highest paid OL in the league.

With a vested interest in Trent Richardson, Tampa has quickly gone from a potential destination I was not fond of to one that I'm actually hoping he may end up in.
:thumbup:If Talib can escape unscathed from his legal issue I think Trent is the pick.

Nicks is great but jesus that is overpaying for OLineman. Wright is horrible. Jax is good at jumpballs but that is about it. Kudos for TB for making moves but I don't think these moves are as good as they are being portrayed to be.

As a Redskins fan, I have to say I'm a bit upset that they were penalized for "salary cap shenanigans" in 2010, when I feel that Tampa Bay did far worse that same year (spending the least amount of money that year, giving themselves more cap space in 2012).

To me, it's no different than "tanking" (purposely hurting yourself in one year to give yourself a competitive advantage in future years).

The actions they did in 2010 directly gave them the space to sign V Jax (now a top 5 paid WR I believe), Carl Nicks (now the highest paid OG in the league), and now Eric Wright - all in a 24 hour period?!

The Redskins were penalized all in the name of "competitive balance" - yeah right!

Does that make him the highest paid OL in the league? How many tackles make more than that?
Yes, he's apparently the highest paid in overall contract size, as well as most up-front money to an OG. No, there were no salary cap shenanigans" in 2010 at all.... Ok, that's it for my rant (in this thread), I promise.

:lmao: Wow guys.

I doubt there were any unwritten rules regarding not spending in 2010 and 2011. Pretty smart move by the Bucs to roll it into this year and load up on talented free agents to go with the young talent that has been drafted. The salary cap is much greater than it has been in previous years, so you're going to see a lot of "highest paid ever" contracts being signed.

Nicks has been to two straight pro bowls and was an all-pro both years. Vincent Jackson is the only #1 WR available, and to be honest, I don't think TB overpaid him in any way. Especially considering what the Redskins gave a #2 WR in Garcon. Wright fills a definite need, and he isn't getting near the money Finnegan or Carr command.

Whole lot of crybabies in here wishing their teams were kicking ### like this.

Press conference at 1 o'clock for those of you wanting to see these guys introduced.

I doubt there were any unwritten rules regarding not spending in 2010 and 2011. Pretty smart move by the Bucs to roll it into this year and load up on talented free agents to go with the young talent that has been drafted. The salary cap is much greater than it has been in previous years, so you're going to see a lot of "highest paid ever" contracts being signed.
Of course not, the rules are made by the guys signing the checks. Of course they don't want to spend money if they don't have to.And the second part is just flat wrong. In 2009 the salary cap was $123M, a full 3 years later it's LOWER. It's being reported now that all of these contracts are being "heavily front-end loaded as well to get around future cap years". Yeah, heard that before....lets see how the NFL responds to this.

I thought Tampa's plan was to build through the draft, rather than pour money into FA. Admittedly, they have a lot of cap room (and I agree with the shenanigans argument) and lots of holes, so spending money in FA makes sense.

I hope these FA moves pan out and that signing VJax doesn't compromise the development of Williams and Benn.

Of course not, the rules are made by the guys signing the checks. Of course they don't want to spend money if they don't have to.And the second part is just flat wrong. In 2009 the salary cap was $123M, a full 3 years later it's LOWER. It's being reported now that all of these contracts are being "heavily front-end loaded as well to get around future cap years". Yeah, heard that before....lets see how the NFL responds to this.
Fair enough. Complain about what happened to the Redskins elsewhere please. This is a happy thread right now. :)

I wish the Browns were a little more active in free agency than they are, but I have never seen a big free agent spending spree work.
We'll see what happens. They aren't simply signing every available big name free agent. They signed two top tier guys and a second tier guy at major areas of need. Those type of moves make your team better immediately.I've always been behind the Bucs' front office when it came to the "build through the draft" mantra, but that only works if you sign some free agents to put you over the top once you feel like you have enough young talent in place to make a 3-5 year run. That's what they're doing. Having the 5th overall pick in the draft just makes it all that much sweeter. This team should compete in a hurry.

As a Redskins fan, I have to say I'm a bit upset that they were penalized for "salary cap shenanigans" in 2010, when I feel that Tampa Bay did far worse that same year (spending the least amount of money that year, giving themselves more cap space in 2012). To me, it's no different than "tanking" (purposely hurting yourself in one year to give yourself a competitive advantage in future years). The actions they did in 2010 directly gave them the space to sign V Jax (now a top 5 paid WR I believe), Carl Nicks (now the highest paid OG in the league), and now Eric Wright - all in a 24 hour period?!The Redskins were penalized all in the name of "competitive balance" - yeah right!
One aspect of the Bucs you are ignoring is that their '10 and '11 philosophy cost the ownership money. Ticket sales and Luxury Boxes tanked....sponsors bailed....and licensed sales disappeared.So if this was indeed a multi-year plan coming to fruition this week....they executed the plan while taking some major risks.I'm also guessing the Skins and Cowboys planned on banking some $$ based on their '10 and '11 philosophy at that time.

Some notes from pewterreport on the presser:

Here are a couple of free agency tidbits for you from today's press conference and some remarks after the press conference by Mark Dominik and Eric Wright:

• Wright told me he wants Ronde Barber back so he can soak up some knowledge, especially about playing in the slot.

• The Bucs won't be getting a middle linebacker in free agency and the coaches say they believe Mason Foster can stay at MLB and be effective in his second year. Curtis Lofton likely won't be a Buccaneer.

• Bucs made their big splash in free agency and will continue to monitor the market, but will likely sit out unless there is a good bargin.

• Dominik will talk to Jeff Faine. Looks like he will be released and Jeremy Zuttah will take over at center.

• Carl Nicks left the Saints because he wants to run block and the Bucs will be a run-first team, while New Orleans is a pass-first, pass-second, pass-third, pass-fourth team.

• Dominik said the team is talking with Dan Orlovsky, but have not agreed to terms and not signed him yet.
I thought the bolded was interesting, and if the Bucs are indeed done in free agency it's likely Trent Richardson will be a Buccaneer.

• Dominik will talk to Jeff Faine. Looks like he will be released and Jeremy Zuttah will take over at center.
Which is another thing that makes the Nicks signing seem so good...Faine's '12 cap number I believe is $8M. And he looks like he's close to done.

15 mil for freaking Eric Wright? Geez! :loco:
Eric Wright??? If you lined up the 11 starters on the Lions defense last season and said you can protect all but one guy it would have been Eric Wright unprotected. And the Lions need corners and were not even concerned about losing Wright. Wright is just not very good.

Last edited by a moderator:

Which is another thing that makes the Nicks signing seem so good...Faine's '12 cap number I believe is $8M. And he looks like he's close to done.
Very nice. When you can swap Faine for Nicks and it be a net cancellation move on your cap, that's awesome! :thumbup:

Not crying and I do wish the Browns were more active. I just don't think these moves are THAT awesome. A terrible CB, a one dimensional WR as a #1, and an awesome guard that was paid like a tackle(he is just a guard) doesn't really lay the foundation for a great team.

Not crying and I do wish the Browns were more active. I just don't think these moves are THAT awesome. A terrible CB, a one dimensional WR as a #1, and an awesome guard that was paid like a tackle(he is just a guard) doesn't really lay the foundation for a great team.
They signed the top FA at WR. They signed the top offensive lineman available away from a division rival. They desperately needed a CB and they signed one. Ask yourself, as a Browns fan, if you'd be ecstatic if they'd signed these players? Jackson and Nicks would have been major upgrades for your team.Individually the first two moves are pretty great. When you look at how the moves as a whole affect the entire team that's how they become awesome. Schiano wants to create a stout running game and take shots downfield. They signed two perfect players for this philosophy.

Tampa's three WR set now includes Jackson, Williams, and Benn. It was clear Williams couldn't shake the double coverage last year. Now he doesn't have to. This is one of the better groups in the league now.

Zuttah moves to center and he's surrounded by two pro bowl guards to create a dominant interior line. With Donald Penn at LT this is also one of the better groups in the league. Josh Freeman was a different QB in 2010 when TB had a running game and could run play action.

The entire makeup of the team was changed by these moves. That's why Buc fans are so excited. That and the Glazers showed their commitment to putting a quality product on the field. Something Buc fans have been questioning since Gruden left.

This team is also set up to get a great player in the draft. That's a heck of a lot of talent to add in one offseason.

'Grahamburn said:
Ask yourself, as a Browns fan, if you'd be ecstatic if they'd signed these players?
The most excitement I've ever gotten from Eric Wright is when he didn't re-sign with the Browns last year.He's awful.

Bucs thought enough of Wright to send a private jet to get him and pay him what other corners on the market are getting. I trust that they feeling he will fit in their defensive scheme.

Bucs thought enough of Wright to send a private jet to get him and pay him what other corners on the market are getting. I trust that they feeling he will fit in their defensive scheme.
If that scheme involves getting torched repeatedly, then he is their man.

It may not work out, but I'm going to trust ther scouting over bitter message board fan. They made that guy a priority for some reason.

It may not work out, but I'm going to trust ther scouting over bitter message board fan. They made that guy a priority for some reason.
Ok.

Most blind homer's do. Wright's terrible.

Most blind homer's do. Wright's terrible.
Blind homer :lmao: I'm more critical of the Bucs than anybody. I could list 10 players I despise. My only point is that a lot of guys new to their job being paid a lot of money made him a priority. The Glazers even sent a private jet for him.

I'm more critical of the Bucs than anybody. I could list 10 players I despise.
...then you shouldn't have any problem acknowledging that Eric Wright is an awful cornerback. The performance on the field shows it and the stats say the same. Your scouting department must not have looked past his youtube videos.

Okoye signs for 1 year/2 mil. Seems like a hell of a deal. That's a nice DT rotation.
Love the move. If he lives up to his potential he'll get a long term deal after the season. If not, TB is off the hook. Great deal for both sides.3 former 1st rounders and 2 former 2nd rounders on the defensive line now.

I'm really warming up to Claiborne being the pick. Send this young line after the opposing QB and put a talented ball hawk in the secondary. Best LB available in the second round, best RB available in the 3rd.

The plan is coming together. :excited:

It was a surprising Day 1, but I'm feeling great. High grades coming in from most experts I've seen. Get an experienced, physical leader on D and an exciting player on O.

In summary....they get 2 guys they wanted badly, and picked up a 4th rounder along the way.

I was shocked at Barron. I thought for sure they were lining themselves up for Kuechly. I'm happy with the pick though.

Also glad I stayed up for the whole thing. It was pretty exciting to see them move back into the first for Martin.

The best safety in the draft and arguably the 2nd best RB at two areas of major need for the team. :thumbup:

This may be the best offseason this team has ever had.

Carl Nicks

Vincent Jackson

Mark Barron

Doug Martin

Eric Wright

LaVontae David

Something or other Okoye

Damn that's a lot of talent!! :hifive:

Were we not discussing trading down up with our early 2nd to get David?

What a draft so far....

I like David. Future HoF OLB Derrick Brooks was not a huge specimen coming out of college and I do believe he was a 2nd round pick.

Bucs have solidified the OL which helps Josh Freeman

Bucs have found a solid RB to pair with Blount which helps Josh Freeman

Bucs went out and signed Vincent Jackson which helps Josh Freeman

Bucs are going in the right direction at the moment. Saints could be in disarray this year, Panthers are still a year away, Falcons are pretty good but always beatable, Why not the Bucs in Greg Schiano's 1st season?

Users who are viewing this thread