What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Indefinite Tampa Bay Bucs thread: Somehow not on the list of teams to never have won a Super Bowl (1 Viewer)

I'm shocked, but excited....
Why are you excited that you just got rid of a coach that was taking your team in a good direction and was 81-63 before taking over a team that was destroyed by Schiano?

Instant gratification by fans of a bad team?

How is getting a 4th coach in 6 years good?

Do you think that will attract better FAs knowing the coach may be gone in a year?

What did a team with a rookie QB and a 2-14 record in Lovies first year expect this year?

Why are you excited that you just got rid of a coach that was taking your team in a good direction and was 81-63 before taking over a team that was destroyed by Schiano?

Do you think that will attract better FAs knowing the coach may be gone in a year?

What did a team with a rookie QB and a 2-14 record in Lovies first year expect this year?
A) team wasn't going in a good direction at all. Any dope could go from 2 to 6 wins with Winston

B) who cares what his record in Chicago was. They fired him too

C) what instant gratification

D) better than keeping onto a terrible coach for no reason

E) FAs usually care about money first second and third and then talent around them after

F) 7-8 wins and not a 4-game losing streak to end the season with 3 losses to bad teams. 2 of those at home.

A) team wasn't going in a good direction at all. Any dope could go from 2 to 6 wins with Winston

E) FAs usually care about money first second and third and then talent around them after

F) 7-8 wins and not a 4-game losing streak to end the season with 3 losses to bad teams. 2 of those at home.
:loco:

Stats and proof say offense and defense was going in a good direction. Defense went from 26th to 10th in total defense and the offense broke team records.

So yes, by defintion, the team was going in the right direction, your rhetoric aside.

Do you know how many coaches have been fired? Tampa Fired Gruden and Dungy.

You read that right, your team fired the coach that brought you a SB win and then a coach who brought other teams SBs after he left and now fired one that took another team to a SB. Only 49 SBs, thats not a lot of coaches winning or getting to a SB in a lifetime.

Terrible coach for no reason? What made him and his history and where he was taking the team a terrible coach?

Instant gratification and justification to feel the way you do right now, as shown in your unreasonable and untruthful assessment of Lovie.

Terrible coach? Schiano was a terrible coach, I would think Buccs fans would be a little more reasonable knowing where that team was left.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol at using total yards on defense to justify keeping Lovie :lmao: Ok guy.

Edit: opponent QBs completed 70% of their passes on his defense. SEVENTY

Lol at using total yards on defense to justify keeping Lovie :lmao: Ok guy.

Edit: opponent QBs completed 70% of their passes on his defense. SEVENTY
Like I said, instant gratification. Because the facts dont matter, only rhetoric. I agree providing stats and facts deserve a rolling over laughing emoticon, Its so hysterical one would use stats and facts to evaluate a coach and not haste and rash decisions.

Total yards not a good stat, completion percentage is? OK guy.

Simply put, there's a cap on what Lovie can do with this team...at least that's how most fans feel who watch every game. It's a proactive move, instead of watching the yearly improvement come to a halt, and regretting not doing this next year.

Simply put, there's a cap on what Lovie can do with this team...at least that's how most fans feel who watch every game. It's a proactive move, instead of watching the yearly improvement come to a halt, and regretting not doing this next year.
Thats all fine and good but that is an opinion and what you think will happen, not a certainty. Clearly players on the team disagree with some fans, and they are the ones who play for the guy.

I think the decision was premature considering how bad the team was he took over. Combine that with the fact he had 1 defensive draft pick in 2 seasons. I'm also not a fan of firing the hc and keeping all the staff he selected, if they go that route.

The Glaziers must want to become the Cleveland Browns. They are establishing a reputation of no loyalty, and no stability. Every other HC is going to be looking over their shoulder.

This is B**** s***.

Thats all fine and good but that is an opinion and what you think will happen, not a certainty. Clearly players on the team disagree with some fans, and they are the ones who play for the guy.
Yes just an opinion. I'm not surprised either that the players who were 2nd in the league in penalties don't agree.

The players on defense don't like the move? Play better.

Simple fact of the matter is they were going to lose Koetter either this year or next and they had to decide. Assuming it's Koetter they made the right choice for their franchise QB.

I think the decision was premature considering how bad the team was he took over. Combine that with the fact he had 1 defensive draft pick in 2 seasons. I'm also not a fan of firing the hc and keeping all the staff he selected, if they go that route.

The Glaziers must want to become the Cleveland Browns. They are establishing a reputation of no loyalty, and no stability. Every other HC is going to be looking over their shoulder.

This is B**** s***.
The defensive staff will be gutted. They were all Lovie's guys. Including his son coaching the safeties...

Yea I don't really care what the defensive players think about the move. Weird thing to be concerned about.

This is B**** s***.
I'm glad you see this. That is exactly what is happening. I see people say they dont care about the players and that their beliefs and opinions on a guy they see every day. Why should we listen to players who have interaction when we can listen to the fans.

Yea I don't really care what the defensive players think about the move. Weird thing to be concerned about.
Weird thing to be concerned about? What the players think of their boss being fired?

Why would anybody care. Half of them won't be on the roster next year. The other half aren't going to come out and jake it next year just because Lovie got canned.

This is B**** s***.
I'm glad you see this. That is exactly what is happening. I see people say they dont care about the players and that their beliefs and opinions on a guy they see every day. Why should we listen to players who have interaction when we can listen to the fans.
Lovie had complete control over free agency decisions and every single one of those was a dumpster fire. Lovie's defense was brutal with the guys he brought in and the adjustments he made. He was calling the plays. He got lit up by some awful QBs. This franchise had Darelle freaking Revis when he got here and he dumped him for absolutely nothing and replaced him with two players that are no longer here. Not to mention the Glazer's are still paying Johnson and Collins.

If you have to choose between Lovie and the guy who just coached your rookie QB to a top 5 offense you take the latter every single time. I understand the move and appreciate the Glazer's for having the sack to be bold.

Koetter obviouslly got the wink as he is the leading candidate. I'm not ready to anoint Dirk Koetter as any kind of coaching guru by any means. First off, he has been a somewhat successful OC, but that is no guarantee he will be a good HC. How much of his success has been because of personnel? Atlanta had some pretty good players. Everyone was saying Winston was QB prodigy, so maybe he is just as responsible for the offensive improvements.

We already have Kwon, David, & McCoy voicing their displeasure with Lovie being let go. Now Koetter has to slide in and gain control of everything...

I just hope Koetter looks over his shoulder, because the Glaziers now have a reputation of firing their HC and replacing him with the hot assistant name of the moment.

Koetter obviouslly got the wink as he is the leading candidate. I'm not ready to anoint Dirk Koetter as any kind of coaching guru by any means. First off, he has been a somewhat successful OC, but that is no guarantee he will be a good HC. How much of his success has been because of personnel? Atlanta had some pretty good players. Everyone was saying Winston was QB prodigy, so maybe he is just as responsible for the offensive improvements.

We already have Kwon, David, & McCoy voicing their displeasure with Lovie being let go. Now Koetter has to slide in and gain control of everything...

I just hope Koetter looks over his shoulder, because the Glaziers now have a reputation of firing their HC and replacing him with the hot assistant name of the moment.
Would you not agree Lovie has to be out of the way for the franchise to keep Koetter?

If the answer is yes, then which players would you rather cater to? Jameis Winston and the offense which was successful for the majority of the season with Dirk or Kwon, David, and McCoy and Lovie's defense that got torched by Case Keenum?

Yesterday when JoeBucsfan was on 620wdae they spent a few minutes trying to decipher Winston's strange comments about players needing to decide who cares, and coaches caring more than the players, etc.

They said Jameis was visibly upset in the locker room after the Carolina loss, while the defensive line was on the other side joking, talking about playing golf, off season, etc.

Maybe there is more to this. Maybe this has become a trend down the stretch. Lovie may not have lost the team, but maybe he lost the D who didn't seem to care anymore.

Imo, it is because of the lack of leadership of Gerald McCoy.

Maybe they wanted Lovie to fire his son and bring in a new DC?

Plus, we never know who is responsible for personal decisions.

Would you not agree Lovie has to be out of the way for the franchise to keep Koetter?

If the answer is yes, then which players would you rather cater to? Jameis Winston and the offense which was successful for the majority of the season with Dirk or Kwon, David, and McCoy and Lovie's defense that got torched by Case Keenum?
This clearly appears to be the dilemma ownership was faced with. Time will tell if they made the right choice.

Consistency at the HC, or inconsistency at the OC position with the threat of ruining the development of your franchise QB. Josh always had a different OC, so maybe they are worried about that.

Imo, Jameis isn't Josh, and Jameis is more responsible for the Bucs offensive improvements than Dirk Koetter.

Fran Tarkenton was just on 620 suggesting Koetter could bring in Mike Smith to coach the defense.

This is B**** s***.
Lovie had complete control over free agency decisions and every single one of those was a dumpster fire. Lovie's defense was brutal with the guys he brought in and the adjustments he made. He was calling the plays. He got lit up by some awful QBs. This franchise had Darelle freaking Revis when he got here and he dumped him for absolutely nothing and replaced him with two players that are no longer here. Not to mention the Glazer's are still paying Johnson and Collins.

If you have to choose between Lovie and the guy who just coached your rookie QB to a top 5 offense you take the latter every single time. I understand the move and appreciate the Glazer's for having the sack to be bold.

I feel like people don't get this. The defense was awful with Mccoy, David, and Alexander. He dumped guys like Revis and Barron cause they didn't fit the cover 2. The cover 2 doesn't work anymore. Teams pick it apart at a 70% clip this year. The offense was really good with a rookie, franchise qb. You don't want him having to relearn a new offense after one year. Keep the offense the going in the right direction, find somebody to fix the defense cause it wasn't getting better under Lovie.

:lmao: Get the hell outta here. Especially with A and F

The way I see it is this. Like others have said, Lovie will only take you so far. He can get you into the playoffs. That's about it. Winston in another year or 2 by himself will be getting this team into the playoffs. Like I have said, anybody with common sense will give any credit for the successful offense on Winston and Koetter, not Lovie. Lovie is a defensive coach. Lovie ' defense was still getting their a## handed to them nearly every week this season. If the calling card of a coach is defense, and he's still not efficient at that, time to go. Relationships in football are great, but results should be the only thing that matter. Ask the 49ers about that.

They fired Lovie over the phone. Christ. :no:
At least they gave him a call & he didn't read it on his twitter feed.A face 2 face would of been unnecessary. A call is fine imo.
A call is never ever ever fine to fire anybody. Are you serious?
Considering the way they didn't notify Dungy, I think this is acceptable in today's day and age.

If I was a HC I would rather get s call than have to go in and do the walk of shame.

Just getting notified of a sit down with the Glaziers & Licht would of been basically finding out you are getting fired anyways.

Players find out they get traded, cut, etc. through the news all the time.

The way I see it is this. Like others have said, Lovie will only take you so far. He can get you into the playoffs. That's about it. Winston in another year or 2 by himself will be getting this team into the playoffs. Like I have said, anybody with common sense will give any credit for the successful offense on Winston and Koetter, not Lovie. Lovie is a defensive coach. Lovie ' defense was still getting their a## handed to them nearly every week this season. If the calling card of a coach is defense, and he's still not efficient at that, time to go. Did his players like him? Sure. Relationships in football are great, but results should be the only thing that matter. Ask the 49ers about that.

At least they gave him a call & he didn't read it on his twitter feed.A face 2 face would of been unnecessary. A call is fine imo.
Considering the way they didn't notify Dungy, I think this is acceptable in today's day and age.

If I was a HC I would rather get s call than have to go in and do the walk of shame.

Just getting notified of a sit down with the Glaziers & Licht would of been basically finding out you are getting fired anyways.

So that makes it right? Simple respect has been thrown aside.

The way I see it is this. Like others have said, Lovie will only take you so far. He can get you into the playoffs. That's about it. Winston in another year or 2 by himself will be getting this team into the playoffs. Like I have said, anybody with common sense will give any credit for the successful offense on Winston and Koetter, not Lovie. Lovie is a defensive coach. Lovie ' defense was still getting their a## handed to them nearly every week this season. If the calling card of a coach is defense, and he's still not efficient at that, time to go. Relationships in football are great, but results should be the only thing that matter. Ask the 49ers about that.
So in your opinion teams should just have an offensive coach and a defensive coach, but no head coach?

I could say a lot of nasty things about the Glazers but I don't want to derail the thread and I don't hate them nearly as much as I do Stephen Ross...but I do think they are ruining what was a decent reputation over the last 8-10 years.

Glazers have zero patience for coaches.

And btw I don't disagree with much of Cap's analysis but I also feel Quez had some excellent points. doesn't have to be right/wrong, can be some of both.

If Tampa Bay were to hire Chip Kelly, would Bucs Nation be excited?

Considering the way they didn't notify Dungy, I think this is acceptable in today's day and age.If I was a HC I would rather get s call than have to go in and do the walk of shame.

So that makes it right? Simple respect has been thrown aside.
I don't think it's right for a guy to find out through the news like Dungy did, but I think a phone call is fine.

I bet Lovie told whoever was on the other end of the phone "thank youbfor the opportunity" as opposed to "are you really firing me over the phone"

Would face time of been acceptable?

Considering the way they didn't notify Dungy, I think this is acceptable in today's day and age.If I was a HC I would rather get s call than have to go in and do the walk of shame.

So they did dungy wrong and that makes this ok?

Afaik every player getting cut gets a sit down with somebody first.

I'm taking it you have absolutely never fired anybody before. If my boss told me to can somebody over the phone I would laugh in his face.

So in your opinion teams should just have an offensive coach and a defensive coach, but no head coach?
What? Get a coach who is good at what he specializes in. Simple concept. Lovie has always been billed as a defensive guru. Our defense was awful. He provides no help on the offensive end, where Tampa actually was good. I can support hiring Koetter. But get a guy with you know, a modern defensive scheme on defense. Scheme ws half of Lovie's problem. He was unwilling to evolve, and he rightfully got left behind.

I didn't support the Glazers firing Gruden at all MOP. The last 3 guys were terrible however.
Thank you for clearing that up. I know you have been vocal about it. The new coach every 2 years thing can turn into Cleveland quickly.

I have to think the way this was handled that the Bucs have their man targeted. If they just promote the OC I would have very little respect for that move. I don't believe with this number of SB coaches in the pool that Koetter(I can't spell) is a shoe in for a HC job.

And I will say that while Tom Coughlin might make some of you all queasy, he has 2 recent SB rings around his fingers, he is proven and I think he would get results. I hope Miami hires him and he injects some discipline in those guys.

I would have at least liked to see Smith coach 1 more season and even 8-8 would have been improvement and the next coach would inherit a pretty solid club.

As it is though, I feel like Winston is going to be solid, I liked him a lot at Florida State, would have loved for Miami to land him. As long as you have a weapon at QB, Stud WR1, Solid RB1(Martin needs to stay), TE is still a work in progress, this team has talent and I would think a good many coaches will want an interview. On defense you have a rock solid DT-MLB to build around, your core is solid.

So they did dungy wrong and that makes this ok? Afaik every player getting cut gets a sit down with somebody first.

I'm taking it you have absolutely never fired anybody before. If my boss told me to can somebody over the phone I would laugh in his face.
They didn't do the same thing they did to Dungy.

Users who are viewing this thread