What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Instant Pot cooker (1 Viewer)

Made a rack of baby backs Sunday , used this...

https://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/instant-pot-ribs/

...and was pleasantly surprised. Tender delicious ribs in less than an hour from the time I pulled them out of fridge

edit: I used my own rub but followed the cook/rest time
Made these today.  Added 10 minutes for spare ribs and they were just right.  Broiling a few minutes makes the sauce perfect.

I've made this Instant Pot Stuffed Pepper Soup twice now and it's great.  Plus it's really easy to make so it's great for those folks who are new to using instant pots.  The second time I substituted sausage for the ground beef and added just a touch more red pepper flakes for a little more flavor.  Great soup for winter, nice and hearty.

Edited to add that I guess I forgot @Cowboysfan8 posted this recipe a few months back.  Oops.  Anyway, thumbs up!

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife never used this thing once.

I make chicken alfredo in it every week or so for the kids.

Pulled pork, ribs, spaghetti and chicken alfredo.    Thats as far as I have gotten.

Had another hit with Mongolian Beef last night - served it over jasmine rice with a side of roasted green beans.  I used top sirloin.  I substituted regular soy sauce for low sodium since that's what we had on-hand.  I also substituted ginger paste for ginger since it keeps so long in the fridge and we don't use ginger in a lot of recipes.  My son had seconds which is very rare for him and my wife already asked me to make this again when we have family in town next week.  Big thumbs up and once again, very easy to make.

Had another hit with Mongolian Beef last night - served it over jasmine rice with a side of roasted green beans.  I used top sirloin.  I substituted regular soy sauce for low sodium since that's what we had on-hand.  I also substituted ginger paste for ginger since it keeps so long in the fridge and we don't use ginger in a lot of recipes.  My son had seconds which is very rare for him and my wife already asked me to make this again when we have family in town next week.  Big thumbs up and once again, very easy to make.
looks awesome but 1.5 cups of brown sugar for 2lbs of flank steak ...no wonder your son liked it!!

meat candy ...mmmm

This looks fantastic. Will try this weekend. Thanks!

In case it hasn't been mentioned before, this thing is awesome for hardboiled eggs.

1 cup of water

Lay eggs on metal rack.

High pressure for 7 minutes, then quick release.

Ice water bath for a couple minutes

The shells come off easier than any other method I've used.

In case it hasn't been mentioned before, this thing is awesome for hardboiled eggs.

1 cup of water

Lay eggs on metal rack.

Does it matter how many eggs?

Got the IP for my bday last year and it’s one of my favorite cooking tools ever!  I can do most all and then some of my old crock pot recipes only much much quicker.  Added benefit of highlighting just how good a grilled steak or smoked meats is so my weekends are always filled doing that kind of cook 

Got the IP for my bday last year and it’s one of my favorite cooking tools ever!  I can do most all and then some of my old crock pot recipes only much much quicker.  Added benefit of highlighting just how good a grilled steak or smoked meats is so my weekends are always filled doing that kind of cook 
Smoked meats in an instant pot?  

not instant pot but put a pork shoulder in the sous vide. 24 hours @ 150.

Made a BBQ sauce and gave it a crust in the cast iron when it was done

Damn good!!!

Anyone ever make greens in their instant pot? Tips?

Im trying tonight 
Used this — https://www.simplyhappyfoodie.com/instant-pot-collard-greens/

—and will again next time. The texture was great. Heat was just right for us

I omitted the sea salt and it was still a little too salty. I used Tony Chacheres instead of “johnnys” seasoned salt or what ever was in the recipe. 

I think next time I will cut the Tonys in half and use smoked turkey legs or tails instead of the ham hocks 

Definitely a keeper though

eta: I didn’t use low sodium chicken broth, couldn’t find it this morning

Last edited by a moderator:

1 cup of water

Lay eggs on metal rack.

Here's another way to do boiled eggs in the IP. Especially great if you are going to make egg salad. 

No Peeling Necessary

You heroes inspired me to pick one of these up. Macy's has the 6 quart Nova model on sale for $60. My cooking skills suck, so maybe this will help a bit. 

I am an instant pot novice and would appreciate you gurus sharing some knowledge so I buy the best pot to cook for a family of 5. 
Are there any models that come highly recommended or that I need to avoid?   Are there any features that I need or are they all fairly standard from model to model?

TIA

I am an instant pot novice and would appreciate you gurus sharing some knowledge so I buy the best pot to cook for a family of 5. 
Are there any models that come highly recommended or that I need to avoid?   Are there any features that I need or are they all fairly standard from model to model?

TIA
Instant Pot Duo is what we have and it's the #1 best seller on Amazon.  For a family of 5, I'd definitely recommend the 8 quart over the 6 quart.

TIA

Instant Pot Duo is what we have and it's the #1 best seller on Amazon.  For a family of 5, I'd definitely recommend the 8 quart over the 6 quart.
That's the one we have. We have the 6 quart, which works well for our family of 5, but my kids are slightly young... 12, 10, 7. Usually we don't have much leftover, but my wife says it is big enough (hehe).

Recipes are helpful 
INGREDIENTS:

1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cubed

1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 tablespoon ghee, butter or coconut oil for df

1/2 chopped onion

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 teaspoon grated ginger root

1 teaspoon ground coriander

1 teaspoon cumin

1/2 teaspoon turmeric

1/2 teaspoon garam masala

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom

14 ounce can diced tomatoes, drained

2 cups cauliflower florets

1/2 cup frozen peas

1/2 cup full fat canned coconut milk

1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, for serving

DIRECTIONS:

Season chicken with 1 teaspoon salt.

Press saute button and melt the butter, add onion, garlic, ginger and 6 spices (from coriander to cardamom) and saute until the vegetables are soft and the spices are fragrant, about 2 to 3 minutes.

Add the tomatoes and use an immersion to blend until smooth (or blend in the blender), add the chicken, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and stir, cook high pressure 15 minutes.

Quick release, add the cauliflower and peas and cook 2 minutes on high pressure.

Quick release, stir in coconut milk and serve garnished with cilantro.

served over some jasmine rice 

Anyone have an Air Fryer lid for their IP? It's only for certain 6qt models and even though I have an 8qt as my main IP, my old 6qt is compatible. Buying the Air Fryer lid would be about the same cost as a smaller (4qt) regular air fryer (which is a trend I haven't dipped my toes into yet.) 

I try to use the my Instant Pot 8qt Duo for almost everything.  We’ve got the highest food and  electricity costs in the nation here in Hawaii and finding ways to cook efficiently and without heating the kitchen is a top priority.

I started with the 6qt Duo and now use the the 8qt so I can cook pot-in-pot and larger items like a whole chicken or sirloin roast with room to spare.  I can cook several items at once (depending on individual cook times) or cooking them individually in series (ie, meat > starch > vegetable ) and make multi item meals that I freeze for later.

Besides, entries soups, stews, pastas and one pot meals,  I’ve cooked deserts like yogurt, banana bread, chocolate box cake,  New York cream cheese cake and rice pudding.

Anything that can be steamed, sautéd or simmered on the stove or roasted in the oven can be made in the Instant Pot faster and with less cleanup.

i like the duo model(s) because they’re super reliable and less expensive than the other fancier models and frankly, once you know how to cook with the instant pot, the other advanced settings are mostly superfluous for everyday cooking.

Starting out I learned a lot watching the PressureLuck  YouTube channel since many of Jeffery’s recipes were similar to Midwest style cooking like my mom used to make and then I progressed to more exotic and challenging dishes as my comfort level increased.  

Love my Duo as well. Did an Oreo Cheesecake last month and made sausage gravy yesterday which went well with my buttermilk cheddar biscuits.

The InstaPot looks horrible. I barf a WTF every time I watch a youTube video with this contraption.  It's the Flowbee of cooking devices, sponsored by Karen.

If one of you kind souls can link me to an interesting IntaPot youtube, I might change my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread