What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Instant Pot cooker (1 Viewer)

Got a Duo Evo Plus 6 quart for Xmas...this thing even has a sous vide setting, pretty cool.

I'm thinking about breaking it in by doing octopus. The plan would be to marinate, then pressure cook, then char it on the grill.

Gonna be fun playing with this thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone have a solid cookbook for non meat based food for the instant pot? I love my instant pot and love variety in my foods, but the wife isn't a big meat person so everything I make is vegetarian. It's also GF/DF due to allergies but that is simple to modify after years of practice. We are willing to try almost anything and have introduced my family to Indian, Thai, Vietnamese, and many other food types over the years. I have also gotten into lentils as a source of protein and fiber for the wifey, as it's always an issue.

Wingnut said:
Got a Duo Evo Plus 6 quart for Xmas...this thing even has a sous vide setting, pretty cool.

I'm thinking about breaking it in by doing octopus. The plan would be to marinate, then pressure cook, then char it on the grill.

Gonna be fun playing with this thing.
I love good charred octopus.  One of our Chefs does a Sous Vide and char and it is fantastic. I have failed at replicating it thus far.

Made some instant pot chili today. Pretty good.

So far I've done hard boiled eggs, corn on the cob, chicken stock, beef bone broth, sous vide chicken, and now chili. 

This thing is pretty cool.

I have had the Instant Pot Duo Crisp Pressure Cooker 11 in 1, 8 Qt with Air Fryer sitting in my car for months (wife wanted me to return it, but now I think she is ready to throw away the old crockpot and use this instead).

What are some healthy things?  Anybody use the air fryer?

Best websites for recipes?

Instant pot is definitely the way to go for sweet potatoes. Stick 4-6 of them in there on the rack with a cup of water, set the timer for 20 minutes, let the pressure release naturally and perfect sweet potatoes.

Instant pot is definitely the way to go for sweet potatoes. Stick 4-6 of them in there on the rack with a cup of water, set the timer for 20 minutes, let the pressure release naturally and perfect sweet potatoes.
Respectfully disagree with this one.  Sweet potatoes benefit immensely from slow cooking over a long period of time at lower heat than traditionally cooked. The sweetness they develop vs. traditional more modern quick cooking methods is staggering.

Try the instant pot method side by side with sweet potatoes that have simply been wrapped in foil and baked for a couple hours as high as 300 F. Don't preheat the oven. Throw them in cold and let them ramp with the oven.

If you want to take it up another notch from there, throw them in a sous vide bath for 2-3 hours at 145 F prior to the slow oven bake.

Trust me. Do this.

The couple of recipes I've done were instant release, but my understanding with natural release is it is so the meat doesn't toughen up.  Strange that you would need/want that with sweet potatoes.

Two more instant pot soup recipes that I made recently.  Both turned out great!

Lentil Soup

I added a pound of hot sausage to this one since I'm no ####ing vegetarian.  😀

Broccoli Cheese Soup

I had to add a little extra corn starch at the end to thicken it up slightly, but oh so good.

I've had an InstaPot for a little over a year. We used it semi-regularly early on and the results were pretty good but I just found it incredibly boring. I enjoy cooking, love standing over the stove, shaking pans around, working through a process. Gets my mind off other stuff, a similar effect for me as exercise has. Loading a bunch of stuff in the pot and turning it on doesn't give me those same feelings. It has its place though.

I'm eating the leftovers as we speak.  Just as good 3 days later.  No need to be shy with the chicken.  The recipe calls for 2 lbs, but I used 2.5 lbs and think you could even go 3 if you wanted.  
The Butter Chicken turned out great.  I used 2.5 lbs of chicken and probably could've used more just like you said, so thanks for the suggestion.  I've got plenty of leftovers now too.  😃

I've had an InstaPot for a little over a year. We used it semi-regularly early on and the results were pretty good but I just found it incredibly boring. I enjoy cooking, love standing over the stove, shaking pans around, working through a process. Gets my mind off other stuff, a similar effect for me as exercise has. Loading a bunch of stuff in the pot and turning it on doesn't give me those same feelings. It has its place though.
I feel the same way. I love the instantpot but usually use it as a meal prep item or making a meal while doing other things during the late afternoon of the weekend. Often times I will have the instantpot going with random thing, a rice cooker with a grain, pans going for another dish, and some veggies baking in the oven all at the same time.

I too enjoy the process 

my SIL(not that one) who is a chef was upset when I told her I couldn’t open the top to add more ingredients/stir 

my IP is mainly used to speed up the “slow” cooking process 

I too enjoy the process 

my SIL(not that one) who is a chef was upset when I told her I couldn’t open the top to add more ingredients/stir 

my IP is mainly used to speed up the “slow” cooking process 
IMO, what it does is replace a crock pot. You can make things in an instant pot way faster and done much better than you can in a crock pot. I can make black beans from scratch that would take 4 hours on the stove, but maybe 1.5 hours in the Instant Pot and they’ll be almost exactly the same.

I love taking the time and making stuff that takes time at times on the weekends, but on weekdays with a family, the Instant Pot is awesome for being able to dump stuff into and turn into a pretty decent meal in an hour rather than spend twice that cooking or dumping a bunch of stuff into a crock pot in the morning and it ending up being dry or having a weird texture by the time it’s time to eat.

Anyone ever make greens in their instant pot? Tips?

Im trying tonight
Used this — https://www.simplyhappyfoodie.com/instant-pot-collard-greens/

—and will again next time. The texture was great. Heat was just right for us

I omitted the sea salt and it was still a little too salty. I used Tony Chacheres instead of “johnnys” seasoned salt or what ever was in the recipe.

I think next time I will cut the Tonys in half and use smoked turkey legs or tails instead of the ham hocks

Definitely a keeper though

eta: I didn’t use low sodium chicken broth, couldn’t find it this morning
6-9 in of snow in the forecast

Nice day to hunker down with a nice pot of greens

I’m trying to come up with blizzard food for tomorrow. Thinking pot roast on the slow cooker setting. But I could be convinced of some cozy soup or stew if you’ve got one.

I did a pork roast yesterday that was fall apart goodness, it's pretty impossible to mess up. I cut the roast into 4 or 5 chunks, seasoned, seared, cooked on hi for 55 min and 15 natural release. The juices make incredible gravy.

Users who are viewing this thread