What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Interesting Aaron Brooks quote (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are willing to point to a game three years ago as proof of his leadership ability, you have to also account for his play the last three weeks, too.
The answer to that question is coaching/organization, in my mind.Brooks is not the only player to show this problem. Guys come here all fiery and passionate, and they leave looking broken and tired.

Sorry, Brooks has made a habit of laughing and giggling after virtually every one of his turnovers and in almost every Saints loss.
That is simply not true.

I've seen Brooks do this multiple times in multiple games.
Did you happen to look at any of the other players as well?Team-wide problem, probably organization-wide. I've seen everybody from Dale Carter to Joe Horn to Mitch Berger doing that.
Hi ISF,Could well be a team problem. That's not what I'm saying. Just because it might be a team problem doesn't make it any less of a Brooks problem.

In fact, that sort of speaks to the whole leadership thing. Assuming it was a team problem, a solid leader would set out to correct the problem for the team, not jump on board with the problem.

J

The offensive line is terrible -- FACT.The receivers drop a ton of passes and run the wrong routes all the time -- FACT.
Brooks' fault: 1. The offensive line is blitzed EVERY PLAY... no offensive line in the history of football could give their quarterback enough time to deal with the blitzing they see. Now, why are they blitzed more than any other team in the league? BECAUSE BROOKS CAN'T BEAT IT. He can't audible, he can't complete hot routes, and he most certainly can't stay cool in the pocket. Remember a few weeks ago on Monday Night when Peyton Manning had a defender in his face almost immediately after the snap? He switched the ball from his right hand to his left and flicked it to James for a huge gain. That's how you beat the blitz. Brooks isn't smart enough to do that.2. It takes two to complete a pass. The receivers may drop a few passes they shouldn't, but any objective viewer can see Brooks rarely places the ball where it's supposed to be. He constantly throws at their feet or behind them because he holds the ball too long. Ever wonder why Horn and Stallworth are always hurt? It's not because they're fragile, it's because Brooks stares them down and throws just a bit too late, giving defenders a chance to destroy them right when the ball gets there. Watch and ye shall see.Can anyone find me team YAC stats? I guarantee the Saints are probably near the bottom. With a wealth of speedy receivers, it's not hard to see the real culprit in that deficiency is the quarterback.Am I the only one who noticed Brooks threw 2 picks against a prevent defense in the 4th quarter last week? Even Drew Henson went 6 of 6 with a touchdown against such a gift defense.Aaron is done and will never succeed. He's just a slightly more disciplined Kordell Stewart and we all know how he ended up. :punter:Signed,A guy who used to wear his Brooks jersey proudly

Now, why are they blitzed more than any other team in the league? BECAUSE BROOKS CAN'T BEAT IT.
Then why was he the second-rated quarterback in the league vs. the blitz last year?

I've seen Brooks do this multiple times in multiple games.
Did you happen to look at any of the other players as well?Team-wide problem, probably organization-wide. I've seen everybody from Dale Carter to Joe Horn to Mitch Berger doing that.
When Deuce fumbles he looks devastated. Same with Horn when he drops a pass. No other Saint reacts to a critical miscue by laughing and shrugging off the mistake like Brooks does. Brooks has been coddled by this coaching staff and the players have come to resent it and Brooks has come to believe that he is above criticism. He almost never takes the blame for a loss and when he attempts to take the blame he always puts a caveat on it.

2. It takes two to complete a pass. The receivers may drop a few passes they shouldn't, but any objective viewer can see Brooks rarely places the ball where it's supposed to be. He constantly throws at their feet or behind them because he holds the ball too long. Ever wonder why Horn and Stallworth are always hurt? It's not because they're fragile, it's because Brooks stares them down and throws just a bit too late, giving defenders a chance to destroy them right when the ball gets there. Watch and ye shall see.
So when the ball hits Stallworth square in the chest or goes right between his arms, or a pass hits Joe Horn in the hands and bounces right off, this is Brooks' fault? I'm not talking about the errant throws, I'm talking about the ones that repeatedly hit them in the hands.

Sorry, Brooks has made a habit of laughing and giggling after virtually every one of his turnovers and in almost every Saints loss.
That is simply not true.
Why are you the only one not recognizing this? Everyone that has watched a Saints game has seen it. He's been called out in the local and national media for it. Other NFL GMs have noted it. Its a fact.

No other Saint reacts to a critical miscue by laughing and shrugging off the mistake like Brooks does.
Geez, what games have you been watching?

Why are you the only one not recognizing this?
I recognize that he has done it in the past.I also recognize that he hasn't done it since the Colts debacle last year.

2. It takes two to complete a pass. The receivers may drop a few passes they shouldn't, but any objective viewer can see Brooks rarely places the ball where it's supposed to be. He constantly throws at their feet or behind them because he holds the ball too long. Ever wonder why Horn and Stallworth are always hurt? It's not because they're fragile, it's because Brooks stares them down and throws just a bit too late, giving defenders a chance to destroy them right when the ball gets there. Watch and ye shall see.
So when the ball hits Stallworth square in the chest or goes right between his arms, or a pass hits Joe Horn in the hands and bounces right off, this is Brooks' fault? I'm not talking about the errant throws, I'm talking about the ones that repeatedly hit them in the hands.
Statistically the Saints have historically (over the past couple years) been in the middle of the pack in terms of dropped passes. I guess the statisticians are anti-Brooks too?

All of them...long time season ticket holder.
Get some binoculars then. I saw Stallworth do it Sunday after that ball that went through his arms. He was cutting up with Horn and Lewis on the sideline two minues later.

Last edited:
If you are willing to point to a game three years ago as proof of his leadership ability, you have to also account for his play the last three weeks, too.
The answer to that question is coaching/organization, in my mind.
I hate to keep piling on ISF like we have been, but this is a continuation of a conversation we've been having for a few weeks now re: Brooks.I will def. not let the coaching off the hook here - Haslett and the OC (Mcsomething) have not put Brooks in great positions to win - and him being called upon to throw from the 50 after the run game got them to the 50 from the 20 is not Brooks' fault. But the throws he actually has made in those situations ARE his fault. I mean HORRIBLE throws, when he had plenty of time.And the three plays I described are 100 percent on Brooks and are plays an NFL QB with his experience should not be making. Like he said in the quote that started this thread - he's just there to finish up and go home. If that doesn't show a man lacking leadership, I don't know what does - he doesn't care if he makes those bad plays b/c he's just biding his time until he's outta there. One or two of those plays in really bad situations is one thing - but those three plays he made the last two weeks show a complete lack of focus. Hard to respect him for that - and certainly not encouragement that he will develop into a leader while in NO. I think he needs a change of scenery.

Now, why are they blitzed more than any other team in the league? BECAUSE BROOKS CAN'T BEAT IT.
Then why was he the second-rated quarterback in the league vs. the blitz last year?
Not sure where you got that, but last year is irrelevant. He can't beat the blitz NOW. Opposing coaches know this, and they just keep bringin' it.

Saints fans, I'd ask this: Does the laughing on the sidelines bother you while the team is getting drilled?That's a personal pet peeve I have with Brooks.J
That drives everyone nuts except Haslett.
Hi guderian,What does Haslett have to do to keep his job? Seat pretty hot I'm guessing?J

I agree with this - Brooks has demonstrated an ability to protect the ball and not throw picks in the face of the blitz - and he faced teams with some good defensive fronts in Tampa Bay and Carolina the last couple of years.

Not sure where you got that, but last year is irrelevant.
No it's not, because it shows that he has the ability to do it. The problem is that the offensive line is much worse this year and he's not getting the extra half-second that any quarterback needs to beat it.

All of them...long time season ticket holder.
Get some binoculars then. I saw Stallworth do it Sunday after that ball that went through his arms. He was cutting up with Horn and Lewis on the sideline two minues later.
Comparing Brooks to Stallworth is a comparison that I can live with. :thumbup: (and no sarcasm)

Statistically the Saints have historically (over the past couple years) been in the middle of the pack in terms of dropped passes. I guess the statisticians are anti-Brooks too?
Anybody who has watched any Saints games over the past three years knows why. The problem is not that they drop passes, it's that they drop passes at critical moments.

Now, why are they blitzed more than any other team in the league?  BECAUSE BROOKS CAN'T BEAT IT.
I agree with this - Brooks has demonstrated an ability to protect the ball and not throw picks in the face of the blitz - and he faced teams with some good defensive fronts in Tampa Bay and Carolina the last couple of years.
Marc I'm not sure where you're getting this idea that he protects the ball well. Interceptions aren't the only way to turn the ball over. Since 2001 Brooks has fumbled 47 times, losing 18 of those. Oh and last I checked, fumbles don't show up on passer ratings.

Saints fans, I'd ask this: Does the laughing on the sidelines bother you while the team is getting drilled?That's a personal pet peeve I have with Brooks.J
Hi guderian,What does Haslett have to do to keep his job? Seat pretty hot I'm guessing?J
He's as good as gone. There was a front page article about it in the local paper today (not the sports section, but the main section). Don't know if you saw it, but Tom Benson was quoted as saying the Saints played like a high school team and that it was the worst game in his 20 years as an owner. The hope around here is that the does a complete housecleaning and brings in a football guy as a GM and not another bean counter. The Saints have had their most success with Jim Finks and Randy Mueller in that slot. When they've gone to the bean counter GMs that's resulted in things such as the Ditka era and their current predicament.

Comparing Brooks to Stallworth is a comparison that I can live with. :thumbup: (and no sarcasm)
And as for Horn and Lewis? What's wrong with them, that they were cutting up on the sideline as well in the midst of a thumping? :rotflmao: This is getting pretty funny. The more I try to convince people that the Saints problems are widespread and pervading throughout the entire organization, the more people argue against me. It's like a Saints fan board or something. I mean, here I am, trying to tell everybody that the entire TEAM has big time problems and you're all trying to discount it as if it's all one guy's fault.Come on now.

Last edited:
He's as good as gone. There was a front page article about it in the local paper today (not the sports section, but the main section). Don't know if you saw it, but Tom Benson was quoted as saying the Saints played like a high school team and that it was the worst game in his 20 years as an owner. The hope around here is that the does a complete housecleaning and brings in a football guy as a GM and not another bean counter. The Saints have had their most success with Jim Finks and Randy Mueller in that slot. When they've gone to the bean counter GMs that's resulted in things such as the Ditka era and their current predicament.
Hi guderian,Yes, saw the Benson thing. Ouch.I forget, what were the conditions of Mueller's leaving? Would they want him back? J

Last edited by a moderator:
Every time I've watched Brooks play this year he's looked good. He throws bullets and his Stallworth can't catch ####e.
When given time in the pocket, he has been unstoppable. Problem is, he doesn't get enough time.........and I'm not talking about an extraordinary amount of time. He's getting less than one second on average.

I forget, what were the conditions of Mueller's leaving?
You didn't forget because nobody ever knew. He just got fired one day. It's still a mystery. And it's things like THIS that explain why the Saints don't win anything. It has little to do with the players on the field.

Last edited:
Marc I'm not sure where you're getting this idea that he protects the ball well. Interceptions aren't the only way to turn the ball over. Since 2001 Brooks has fumbled 47 times, losing 18 of those.
True - and 2003 was horrible for him in losing 11 of his 14 fumbles. My other question is whether those fumbles were on blitzes - since my assertion was that heprotected the ball well on blitzes. I have to admit I don't have the info in front of me, I recall the announcers discussing his protecting the ball during the Saints' game versus KC and again v. Denver.Those 2003 numbers skew it big time - losing 11 fumbles in one year will mess you up.

This is getting pretty funny. The more I try to convince people that the Saints problems are widespread and pervading throughout the entire organization, the more people argue against me. It's like a Saints fan board or something.
I know the problems are widespread.. they go straight to the top. But I've seen enough of Brooks (every game he's started to be exact) to know he's not a very good NFL quarterback. We Saints fans are a tortured bunch and Brooks is probably the best we've ever had, but we have to put aside our woes and analyze his play objectively. He hasn't progressed as much as a 5th-year starter should and it's time to let him go.Edited: changed "has" to "hasn't" :X

Last edited by a moderator:
My other question is whether those fumbles were on blitzes - since my assertion was that heprotected the ball well on blitzes.
Once upon a time I had that info. I believe there were four instances where the ball was stripped as he was trying to escape the pocket, three or four where he just got a blindside hit that knocked the ball out, two bad center-QB exchanges, one instance where the fullback ran into the handoff.

What's the local feeling on Benson these days? Is he well liked?
Certainly not, but if not for him the team would have been moved 10 times over, which gives him a little leeway around here.

He hasn't progressed as much as a 5th-year starter should and it's time to let him go.
But is it his fault that he hasn't progressed as much as he should have?That's the $64,000 question. Once again, it goes back to getting rid of the symptoms rather than the actual disease.

Last edited:
Comparing Brooks to Stallworth is a comparison that I can live with.  :thumbup:   (and no sarcasm)
And as for Horn and Lewis? What's wrong with them, that they were cutting up on the sideline as well in the midst of a thumping? :rotflmao: This is getting pretty funny. The more I try to convince people that the Saints problems are widespread and pervading throughout the entire organization, the more people argue against me. It's like a Saints fan board or something. I mean, here I am, trying to tell everybody that the entire TEAM has big time problems and you're all trying to discount it as if it's all one guy's fault.Come on now.
I've never said it wasn't a widespread problem, but you continue to defend virtually everything that Aaron Brooks does and deflect blame to everyone else. First its that the receivers drop too many passes. Then when you are confronted with the fact that they drop an "average" number of passes you say that they drop passes "in critical situations". When Brooks throws a ball 20 yards backwards attempting to pass it to a lineman you say that "he was put in a bad position". When Brooks laughs it up on the sidelines you first defend it by arguing that he was laughing at a joke by Deuce McAllister. Then when people point out that Brooks has made a habit of laughing at mistakes and losses you argue that everyone else in the organization does that too. Then you cite Donte Stallworth as an example as if Brooks should aspire to be as professional as Stallworth. Some Saints fans canonize (ironic) Brooks because he led us to our first playoff victory. Apparently you are in that group and have said so in this thread.

Every time I've watched Brooks play this year he's looked good. He throws bullets and his Stallworth can't catch ####e.
When given time in the pocket, he has been unstoppable. Problem is, he doesn't get enough time.........and I'm not talking about an extraordinary amount of time. He's getting less than one second on average.
I don't care to look up the specific stats, but Brooks has a QB rating in the neighborhood of 100+ in blow outs (garbage time) and in the 70s in close games.

Hi guderian,Yes, saw the Benson thing. Ouch.I forget, what were the conditions of Mueller's leaving? Would they want him back? J
Mueller was fired for a "lack of communication" after the Ricky Williams trade. Benson said he wasn't made aware of what was going on with the trade until after it was over.

I've never said it wasn't a widespread problem, but you continue to defend virtually everything that Aaron Brooks does and deflect blame to everyone else. First its that the receivers drop too many passes. Then when you are confronted with the fact that they drop an "average" number of passes you say that they drop passes "in critical situations". When Brooks throws a ball 20 yards backwards attempting to pass it to a lineman you say that "he was put in a bad position". When Brooks laughs it up on the sidelines you first defend it by arguing that he was laughing at a joke by Deuce McAllister. Then when people point out that Brooks has made a habit of laughing at mistakes and losses you argue that everyone else in the organization does that too. Then you cite Donte Stallworth as an example as if Brooks should aspire to be as professional as Stallworth. Some Saints fans canonize (ironic) Brooks because he led us to our first playoff victory. Apparently you are in that group and have said so in this thread.
No. Not at all. I have done none of the thing you accuse me of, and as I've already said in this very thread (and 5 or 6 other threads), I'm not even that much of a Brooks fan. I am simply placing Brooks problems in perspective, relative to the entire team. Who is more of a homer, the person who thinks that all the team's problems revolve around one person, or the person who believe that the problems are widespread?

I don't care to look up the specific stats, but Brooks has a QB rating in the neighborhood of 100+ in blow outs (garbage time) and in the 70s in close games.
How is this relevant to the quoted post?

My other question is whether those fumbles were on blitzes - since my assertion was that heprotected the ball well on blitzes.
Once upon a time I had that info. I believe there were four instances where the ball was stripped as he was trying to escape the pocket, three or four where he just got a blindside hit that knocked the ball out, two bad center-QB exchanges, one instance where the fullback ran into the handoff.
So NONE of them were his fault...

He hasn't progressed as much as a 5th-year starter should and it's time to let him go.
But is it his fault that he hasn't progressed as much as he should have?
I dunno, but it is his career that's on the line. I would think if he's upset with how the offense is run he could take some initiative and adamantly voice his concerns to the coaches. Certainly he could effect some kind of change. Let's not forget he also has the ability to audible out of dumb plays, but never does. Could it be that he actually thinks the playcalling is good, but they're failing because his teammates are letting him down? If that's actually what he thinks, which seems to be the case, he's even dumber than McCarthy.

Certainly he could effect some kind of change. Let's not forget he also has the ability to audible out of dumb plays, but never does.
I've seen him do it on occasion. Ever watch him when they run a no-huddle offense? They rarely do it, but when they do, it's poetry in motion. I get the impression that the coaches probably frown on that though. It's not a secret what a control freak Haslett is.

He lost 11 fumbles last year and you came up with excuses for between 11 and 12 of them based on other breakdowns.
How are those things excuses? I'm just describing what happened, not ascribing any blame to anyone. Levin asked a question, I answered it.Once again, please, stop putting words in my mouth.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread