What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Interesting Aaron Brooks quote (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to keep piling on ISF like we have been
No, by all means, keep it up. I find it invigorating.Especially because I know I'm right. ;)
;) ISF.Let's refocus. What exactly is it you're saying about Brooks that you're "right" about? I need to make sure I still know what we're talking about.J

Let's refocus. What exactly is it you're saying about Brooks that you're "right" about?
That judging him as a "horrible" quarterback is unfair because of the situation he is being placed in.

He lost 11 fumbles last year and you came up with excuses for between 11 and 12 of them based on other breakdowns.
How are those things excuses? I'm just describing what happened, not ascribing any blame to anyone. Levin asked a question, I answered it.Once again, please, stop putting words in my mouth.
I think your data is inaccurate. I recall a couple instances where he cocked his arm back to throw and just dropped the ball and another instance where he just flat out panicked and dropped the ball.

I think your data is inaccurate. I recall a couple instances where he cocked his arm back to throw and just dropped the ball and another instance where he just flat out panicked and dropped the ball.
I never said the data was completely accurate. As I said I don't have it all right in front of me.Forgot about the wind-up fumbles. I honestly just forgot to mention that.

Let's refocus. What exactly is it you're saying about Brooks that you're "right" about?
That judging him as a "horrible" quarterback is unfair because of the situation he is being placed in.
That statement I will agree with - it is unfair at this point to lump him into a pile as a horrible QB.But, IMO, he has played like a horrible quarterback the last several weeks. He simply has not looked like a competent NFL QB - regardless of the play calling and the situations, he has not executed the plays that have been called as an NFL QB should - IMO, for the last three weeks or so, he has been a horrible QB.

He's not horrible. He's got good physical talent, is a poor leader and doesn't make good decisions. He's showed little improvement in mechanics and grasp of the offense after too many years. McCarthy is partly to blame for not developing Brooks, but Brooks will always be just a mediocre NFL QB who doesn't have the leadership ability, consistency or discipline to be a consistent winner in the NFL.

He's not doing anything to fix it. Sorry, but I don't want a quarterback with no motivation to address obvious problems. He shows up, does what he's told, and goes home to his wife. Thanks, but I'd rather we blew our cap-room on someone who gives a #### about the team.

He lost 11 fumbles last year and you came up with excuses for between 11 and 12 of them based on other breakdowns.
How are those things excuses? I'm just describing what happened, not ascribing any blame to anyone. Levin asked a question, I answered it.Once again, please, stop putting words in my mouth.
I remember at LEAST two occasions last season when Brooks fumbled by having the ball simply fall out of the back of his hand when bringing his arm forward to throw a pass... and no, he wasn't being hit as it happened.Example (which, by the way, also happens to support your receiver drops argument)
From Buccaneers archives The Buccaneers, in need of a helpful bounce of the ball for some time now, got one near the end of the first half when WR Joe Horn – en route to a nine-catch, 118-yard effort – dropped a perfectly thrown touchdown pass. Had he caught it, the Saints likely would have taken a 14-0 lead into halftime; instead, an amazing string of events over the next two minutes gave Tampa Bay its 14-7 advantage.On the very next play, Brooks tried to throw again but the ball slipped out of his hand as his arm came forward. S Jermaine Phillips scooped up the fumble and returned it the Saints’ 37. Two plays later, QB Brad Johnson hit TE Ken Dilger on a shallow out and Dilger stepped through one tackle to score on a 14-yard reception.

I remember at LEAST two occasions last season when Brooks fumbled by having the ball simply fall out of the back of his hand when bringing his arm forward to throw a pass... and no, he wasn't being hit as it happened.
Yeah, that was already accounted for. Honest mistake.

I remember at LEAST two occasions last season when Brooks fumbled by having the ball simply fall out of the back of his hand when bringing his arm forward to throw a pass... and no, he wasn't being hit as it happened.
Yeah, that was already accounted for. Honest mistake.
Sorry, got a bit of lag happening!

OK.I'm not sure I'd go as far as "horrible". I'll reserve horrible for guys like Rob Johnson. He's not there by a long shot. Horn is clearly talented. But that's also part of the frustration I think.

I'd say he's done little to improve his bad team situation. And that's a big part of a leader.

I go back to the yucking it up thing on the sidelines. Maybe that is a team problem. But a leader doesn't join the problem. He leads and helps change the problem. He can't say, "Well Horn and Pathon were doing it, so I can too." In fact, trying to deflect criticism like that and pointing to others and saying "Well they were doing it too!" is exactly the problem we're talking about.

My opinion of Brooks is that he's a talented, but underachieving QB. He might well flourish with a change of scenery / coaches.

J

He's not doing anything to fix it. Sorry, but I don't want a quarterback with no motivation to address obvious problems. He shows up, does what he's told, and goes home to his wife. Thanks, but I'd rather we blew our cap-room on someone who gives a #### about the team.
People said the same stuff about Roaf.Once again, this is trying to cure the symptom rather than the disease.

I go back to the yucking it up thing on the sidelines. Maybe that is a team problem. But a leader doesn't join the problem. He leads and helps change the problem. He can't say, "Well Horn and Pathon were doing it, so I can too." In fact, trying to deflect criticism like that and pointing to others and saying "Well they were doing it too!" is exactly the problem we're talking about.
IMO, this is a Haslett problem. He's always scapegoated others (Turley, Roaf, Keith Mitchell, Grady Jackson, etc.) for things that happened under his watch that he should have been accountable for. It's not hard to see the team taking on his personality.

A.Brooks constant brain farts are absolutely numbing to me. I watched the game this past weekend and on two occassions when he was about to be sacked and just threw the ball away (one of which was an int for a TD for the second time in two weeks). After the second throw away the announcers couldn't believe it and neither could I. Lucky for him the ball went out of bounds but sometimes I just don't understand what Brooks is thinking on the field. He has 12 touchdowns and 8 Int's after 10 games....He is not a very good QB right now.

People said the same stuff about Roaf.Once again, this is trying to cure the symptom rather than the disease.
And the disease is what? And how do you propose curing it?J

That statement I will agree with - it is unfair at this point to lump him into a pile as a horrible QB.
But you are constantly doing it. :P
:lol: I am guilty of doing that a lot the last three weeks. I reserved judgment on him as an NFL QB when others were blasting him the last two years, but his play the last several weeks justifies the criticism he has received.

And the disease is what?
I don't know, but the fact that the problem has persisted for nearly 40 years should tell you that it is not easily solvable.

As a whole, the Saints strike me as a team with a ton of talent, but for some reason that is not translating on the field.Their O-line does seem to be the weakest link. I don't think they'd be able just to bring in someone else to QB and suddenly we have a juggernaught.Plummer is a perfect example of a QB looking horrid that we thought was talented, he goes to another more talented team, and suddenly looks great.I don't watch many Saints games, but it seems to me if Brooks, Stallworth, Horn, Deuce etc.. are ALL yucking it up after a loss, that tells me management/coaching isn't doing anything to stop it, and NONE of them are firing up the offense, ala TO, Ray Lewis, etc.. type players. That seems to be what they need. (As well as a new O-line)

And the disease is what?
I don't know, but the fact that the problem has persisted for nearly 40 years should tell you that it is not easily solvable.
I believe Brooks has the opportunity to fix it. The pieces are in place for the Saints to be successful, but there is an utter lack of leadership. Haslett can't do everything and all NFL players will listen to one of their own before a coach anyway. IMO, it's no coincidence Pittsburgh's entire team began to play out of their minds when Roethlisberger came in. He exudes confidence and they believe in him. I have a hard time imagining any Saints players believe in Brooks anymore.

IMO, this is a Haslett problem. He's always scapegoated others (Turley, Roaf, Keith Mitchell, Grady Jackson, etc.) for things that happened under his watch that he should have been accountable for. It's not hard to see the team taking on his personality.
I view the team as scapegoating the players to turn the fans against them when they didnt want to pay for them. One of the reasons for getting rid of Turley was because they felt he challenged Brooks leadership too much and they wanted it to be Brooks' team. I prefer the Turley reaction to poor play and losing (throwing chairs in the locker room and such) despite its drawbacks (throwing helmets across the dome turf) to Brooks non-chalance. Few people know or recalll this, but a couple years ago the Saints coaching staff called the media in and broke down film for a couple of hours showing the reporters that other players were to blame--and not Brooks. I'd say the consensus is that many players resent the coddling that the coaching staff lavishes on Brooks at their expense. Brooks needs to be held accountable and he never has been.

QUOTE (Da Guru @ Nov 23 2004, 10:13 PM) Aaron Brooks is a loser! Extremely insightful.
If you watch the Saints that is all you need to know! I have never seen a qB throw a INT in a crucial part of a game and come to the sidelines laughing and clowing with his teammates like Brooks does. The team feeds off Brooks, that is why they play so emtionless most of the time. I highly doubt you will see Aaron Brooks lead the Saints anywhere other than where they are right now.

Few people know or recalll this, but a couple years ago the Saints coaching staff called the media in and broke down film for a couple of hours showing the reporters that other players were to blame--and not Brooks. I'd say the consensus is that many players resent the coddling that the coaching staff lavishes on Brooks at their expense. Brooks needs to be held accountable and he never has been.
This is true. But the coaching staff coddling Brooks is not Brooks own fault.Also, in the game referred to, many other players WERE at fault. Jake Reed dropped a big pass, Turley quit on the team, the offensive line was crap, etc. Widespread problems. Which is what I've been saying all along.

If you watch the Saints that is all you need to know! I have never seen a qB throw a INT in a crucial part of a game and come to the sidelines laughing and clowing with his teammates like Brooks does. The team feeds off Brooks, that is why they play so emtionless most of the time. I highly doubt you will see Aaron Brooks lead the Saints anywhere other than where they are right now.
Archie Manning is a loser!

I view the team as scapegoating the players to turn the fans against them when they didnt want to pay for them. One of the reasons for getting rid of Turley was because they felt he challenged Brooks leadership too much and they wanted it to be Brooks' team. I prefer the Turley reaction to poor play and losing (throwing chairs in the locker room and such) despite its drawbacks (throwing helmets across the dome turf) to Brooks non-chalance. Few people know or recalll this, but a couple years ago the Saints coaching staff called the media in and broke down film for a couple of hours showing the reporters that other players were to blame--and not Brooks. I'd say the consensus is that many players resent the coddling that the coaching staff lavishes on Brooks at their expense. Brooks needs to be held accountable and he never has been.
Hi guderian,I remember that. It was pretty extraordinary. It was the first I remember in the "Hey, it's not his fault" type line of defense. QB is an unfair position. That's life. He's gotta deal with it.

I'd still contend he could solve tons of the problems by just acting like he cares more. Even if he doesn't really care, just act like it. Fake it if he has to.

J

Brooks is not horrible, he just plays like that for 90% of most games.I blame the D firstO-line secondCoaching Staff 3rdThen BrooksThat being said....can any qb consistently make up 20 point deficits to start a game? No. At least not without a defense that can stop at least either the run or pass...we can't do either. The O-line is just plain terrible. Holding calls, false starts, inability to block for the run or pass, and 0 excecution when being blitzed.Coaching staff....How long have we been throwing the screen pass to horn out on the flat. 0 yards every time. I've seen them call this play at least 3 or 4 times a game since Haslett & McCarthy took over. We never try to establish the run...oh yeah, we can't run effectively, they got rid of one of the best blocking FB's in the league & left us with a virtual nobody. All that being said....could any QB suceede in this situation? He has quit laughing after every bad play he make (for the most part).He does not deal well with the blitz, but i have to agree with the post where someone said Brooks wasn't really allowed to audible..Haslett is a control freak. I would like to see him go though...along with all the staff & most of our players. A total rebuild. Maybe we could get Portis 26 (the madden thread ....must not call name.... guy) to tell us what to do.But nothing changes down here until we have an owner that wants to win. Don't be fooled by his outburst this weekend...he only cares if the Dome fills by kickoff. :hot:

I'd still contend he could solve tons of the problems by just acting like he cares more. Even if he doesn't really care, just act like it. Fake it if he has to.
He has been. Whether he's faking it or not, I'm not sure, but I've noticed him hit himself in the helmet after throwing a pick or pounding his hand into the ground after a fumble. And if you watched Sunday's game, you'll notice him running the length of the field to tackle a Broncos player after an interception. If he didn't care, I don't think he would be doing that.I don't think the players' attitudes have much, if anything to do with Brooks. I think the players' attitudes stem from a lack of distrust in the coaching staff. The defensive players have been complaining for weeks about the schemes they run on the field during games because they don't run the same kind of defenses in practice, and the offensive players have done the same.

AB has been the only bright spot on the team all year. Yeah, I said it. I was the biggest Brooks hater in the world, but I decided to go into this year giving him a clean slate. The problem with the Saints is bigger than you and me. I just keep the faith.........

I remember that. It was pretty extraordinary. It was the first I remember in the "Hey, it's not his fault" type line of defense. QB is an unfair position. That's life. He's gotta deal with it.
Blame the coaching staff for that one. Somehow, I doubt that Brooks is the one asking to be coddled and protected from the media.FWIW, Jim Henderson, who does play-by-play for the Saints and is one of the most respectable people in the industry, watched the game film referred to and agreed with every single thing the coaching staff said.

AB has been the only bright spot on the team all year. Yeah, I said it. I was the biggest Brooks hater in the world, but I decided to go into this year giving him a clean slate. The problem with the Saints is bigger than you and me. I just keep the faith.........
I used to hate him too, then I came to the exact same conclusion that you have.The problems are too big to be isolated to any one individual.

Exactly!! It is only 1 game a week..act like you are concerned about the team!

Hi guderian,I remember that. It was pretty extraordinary. It was the first I remember in the "Hey, it's not his fault" type line of defense. QB is an unfair position. That's life. He's gotta deal with it.

J
Also, it is one thing to defray blame from your young QB when he is still learning to find his role on the team and in the system. It is quite different for your QB to continue to have the attitude a few years later that it is someone else's fault while the team is losing games. Like Joe says, at some point as QB you fake it and pretend you care. You don't say this:

I come to do my job, do what's asked of me and get out of here.
What was the blow up with Brooks on the team's flight coming back from San Diego?

Brooks is not horrible, he just plays like that for 90% of most games.I blame the D firstO-line secondCoaching Staff 3rdThen BrooksThat being said....can any qb consistently make up 20 point deficits to start a game? No. At least not without a defense that can stop at least either the run or pass...we can't do either. The O-line is just plain terrible. Holding calls, false starts, inability to block for the run or pass, and 0 excecution when being blitzed.Coaching staff....How long have we been throwing the screen pass to horn out on the flat. 0 yards every time. I've seen them call this play at least 3 or 4 times a game since Haslett & McCarthy took over. We never try to establish the run...oh yeah, we can't run effectively, they got rid of one of the best blocking FB's in the league & left us with a virtual nobody. All that being said....could any QB suceede in this situation? He has quit laughing after every bad play he make (for the most part).He does not deal well with the blitz, but i have to agree with the post where someone said Brooks wasn't really allowed to audible..Haslett is a control freak. I would like to see him go though...along with all the staff & most of our players. A total rebuild. Maybe we could get Portis 26 (the madden thread ....must not call name.... guy) to tell us what to do.But nothing changes down here until we have an owner that wants to win. Don't be fooled by his outburst this weekend...he only cares if the Dome fills by kickoff. :hot:
You forgot about the receivers.Did you see the article in the T-P a few weeks back detailing the mental mistakes that the receivers make? Joe Horn runs the wrong route something like 40% of the time..........that was apalling to me.

I remember that. It was pretty extraordinary. It was the first I remember in the "Hey, it's not his fault" type line of defense. QB is an unfair position. That's life. He's gotta deal with it.
Blame the coaching staff for that one. Somehow, I doubt that Brooks is the one asking to be coddled and protected from the media.FWIW, Jim Henderson, who does play-by-play for the Saints and is one of the most respectable people in the industry, watched the game film referred to and agreed with every single thing the coaching staff said.
isn't it painful listening to them lately. Henderson loves the saints & you can tell its killing him every sunday. I heard an audible "oh boy" from the booth when Doughnuts ran that 50 yard td to start the game this week.

You forgot about the receivers.Did you see the article in the T-P a few weeks back detailing the mental mistakes that the receivers make? Joe Horn runs the wrong route something like 40% of the time..........that was apalling to me.
I blame boo & Stallworth (5th in my pecking order) Horn & Pathon play their respective hearts out every weekend.

What was the blow up with Brooks on the team's flight coming back from San Diego?
Brooks was getting in the offensive players' faces for their lack of performance. Charles Grant jumped in with him and started bashing the offense as well, so Brooks turned to Grant and started defending his guys.Or maybe it was vice versa? I don't remember.

Found it:

Brooks, who after the 34-10 setback to the Cardinals said he needs to "re-evaluate my situation here in New Orleans," was not available in the locker room after the team's regular Monday meeting. Haslett downplayed Brooks' frustrations. "When I talked to him today, he said he had to re-evaluate -- looking at the film, make sure that he's doing his part," Haslett said. "If he meant anything more than that, I don't know. You'll have to talk to him."
Link OneHaslett's backtracking from Brooks' comment is almost comical.

Brooks was getting in the offensive players' faces for their lack of performance. Charles Grant jumped in with him and started bashing the offense as well, so Brooks turned to Grant and started defending his guys.Or maybe it was vice versa? I don't remember.
I didn't see anything close to that rendition of what happened, but IIRC you have access to some Saints site that gets some good inside scoops?

I didn't see anything close to that rendition of what happened, but IIRC you have access to some Saints site that gets some good inside scoops?
It was in the paper. I'm pretty sure somebody posted it to this site.I don't read too many Saints fan boards. Too depressing.

Last edited:
Found it:

Brooks, who after the 34-10 setback to the Cardinals said he needs to "re-evaluate my situation here in New Orleans," was not available in the locker room after the team's regular Monday meeting. Haslett downplayed Brooks' frustrations. "When I talked to him today, he said he had to re-evaluate -- looking at the film, make sure that he's doing his part," Haslett said. "If he meant anything more than that, I don't know. You'll have to talk to him."
Link OneHaslett's backtracking from Brooks' comment is almost comical.
Yeah I remember rolling my eyes at that one.. truly amazing.

Horn & Pathon play their respective hearts out every weekend.
No doubt, I love Horn and he does play his butt off every week.......but............40% of the time he runs the wrong routes?

Horn & Pathon play their respective hearts out every weekend.
No doubt, I love Horn and he does play his butt off every week.......but............40% of the time he runs the wrong routes?
don't believe everything you read guy. if any....i repeat any....wr in the nfl ran the wrong route 40% of the time, they would be in Europe.

don't believe everything you read guy.
I wouldn't normally, except the dude that wrote the article is the only reputable guy working for the TP.

I wouldn't normally, except the dude that wrote the article is the only reputable guy working for the TP.
I'd like to see a link for that one. You don't become a top 5-10 WR in the NFL running the wrong route 40% of the time. And how does a reporter know what the right route was supposed to be? Because Haslett told him so? Sorry ISF, you rank right behind Haslett in apologizing for Brooks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like to see a link for that one. You don't become a top 5-10 WR in the NFL running the wrong route 40% of the time. And how does a reporter know what the right route was supposed to be? Because Haslett told him so? Sorry ISF, you rank right behind Haslett in apologizing for Brooks.
And what data was it based on? A qtr? A game, 2 games, a season?

Just restating what the article said as best as I can recall.Sorry if you don't like my comments...........feel free to call me a delusional homer again if you must.

Last edited:
Yes, I'd like to know more about how the reporter is getting his "runs the wrong route 40% of the time" thing.j

Yes, I'd like to know more about how the reporter is getting his "runs the wrong route 40% of the time" thing.j
Could very well be Haslett spin. I'm just saying what the story said as best I can remember.I'm still looking for a link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread