What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

iPad (1 Viewer)

Facebook: The app is pretty blurry because they have not submitted a new app for ipad and you have to use the iphone app.
This has surprised me -- I can't believe they don't have a dedicated Facebook app yet. But that HAS to be coming any minute now.Also, when you said you got all the classics for free, where did you download those from? From the iBooks store? Or somewhere else? There are a ton I've always wanted to re-read or catch up on.
OK. You guys have got to educate me on the apps usability thing.The ipad is excellent at browsing the web, right? Why would you use an app for facebook and not facebook.com like anyone on a desktop?J
Agreed. The Facebook site looks excellent on the iPad.
Thanks One. Can you guys help me understand the desire for a Facebook app then?It's almost like we're doing apps for the sake of an app when in reality, some of these apps are essentially bookmarks for the website. I'm not being critical, I'm trying to understand how folks use them.J
I don't have an iPad but I do have an iPhone, so I can try to take a stab at this. For one, websites aren't designed with a touch interface in mind. On a screen as large as the iPad's, I'm guessing you wouldn't really have much difficulty navigating the Facebook website - but even if it's easy, it's intuitive that a site designed specifically for a touchscreen like the iPad's would be easier. Things are laid out differently, links, menus, etc. are more intuitive for the touchscreen... Granted, the iPad display is probably more like a laptop monitor than a mobile device, so the design argument maybe doesn't apply as much, but it's still a consideration.Perhaps more importantly, an app allows for features like push notifications and badges and whatnot (at least, on the iPhone, and I imagine the iPad would have similar functionality). That is, if someone posts something on my Facebook wall, I normally wouldn't know until I went and checked the site. With the Facebook app, I can set it to be alerted immediately, or it can put a little (1) in the corner of the Facebook app icon so I know there's a message in there waiting for me or something.That's Facebook-specific, of course, and that may not sound too exciting (I'm sure many people don't care to know right away if someone posted something to their Wall or whatever). But in general, that kind of functionality is a big advantage of apps over websites IMO. I don't know if this actually exists, but in theory it would be like the difference between manually visiting various ESPN.com pages to check on scores and schedules of your favorite teams, or having an ESPN app which would alert you whenever one of your favorite teams had a game starting, and providing a simple touch menu that takes you to the box score, video highlights, etc.

Ignoratio said it well.

I would just sum it up saying that designing your site specific to the actual device that will be used on it, improves the user experience in navigating your site and therefore sustains and builds your audience.

Just like you don't design the same way for print as you do for the web, we are now starting to break the web down by device because all devices have different interfaces.

Footballguys (the forums especially) are laid out to work well on a desktop/laptop. But try posting on this forum on a mobile device, the experience is not as good but if you tailored these forums to work well on an IPAD or Mobile phone, you might find that you get more regular visitors to the site.

Ignoratio said it well.I would just sum it up saying that designing your site specific to the actual device that will be used on it, improves the user experience in navigating your site and therefore sustains and builds your audience.Just like you don't design the same way for print as you do for the web, we are now starting to break the web down by device because all devices have different interfaces. Footballguys (the forums especially) are laid out to work well on a desktop/laptop. But try posting on this forum on a mobile device, the experience is not as good but if you tailored these forums to work well on an IPAD or Mobile phone, you might find that you get more regular visitors to the site.
No problems posting on forums here and elsewhere with my mobile device. Maybe it's the device at fault.

Ignoratio said it well.I would just sum it up saying that designing your site specific to the actual device that will be used on it, improves the user experience in navigating your site and therefore sustains and builds your audience.Just like you don't design the same way for print as you do for the web, we are now starting to break the web down by device because all devices have different interfaces. Footballguys (the forums especially) are laid out to work well on a desktop/laptop. But try posting on this forum on a mobile device, the experience is not as good but if you tailored these forums to work well on an IPAD or Mobile phone, you might find that you get more regular visitors to the site.
No problems posting on forums here and elsewhere with my mobile device. Maybe it's the device at fault.
it works on mobile devices, but not nearly as well as on a laptop/desktop.

I see no difference when using my mobile other than speed (Verizon 3G versus laptop's 11GB cable).

I see no difference when using my mobile other than speed (Verizon 3G versus laptop's 11GB cable).
Your phone must have a giant screen.

Looks like the JooJoo (The First "iPad Killer") Is dead in the water

Nice detailed review from Engadget that finishes up with this summary:

There are just so many things we wish Fusion Garage did differently with the JooJoo. Even putting aside the fact that Apple's $499 iPad brings more to the table than just web browsing, the JooJoo is less portable, has a worse (if larger) screen, is unintuitive to use, and ships with half-baked software. We commend the start-up on its nice piece of hardware design, but until the software is given some much-needed love and the price is seriously reevaluated we simply cannot recommend this tablet. To add insult to injury, Apple's entry level iPad provides a much more seamless and feature-packed experience, and there are plenty of $199-ish ARM-based tablets just around the corner. We told you it was terrible timing. The one shining light we can see is that Fusion Garage has actually managed to finish and build this thing, which is a lot more than can be said for the dozens of ARM / Tegra / Fairy dust-powered, Android / Linux / CE-based tablet prototypes we've seen in the wild
LOL. This is similar to saying "The new Hyundai Sonata, not a Lamborghini killer".
That would be a fair comparison except it's not. They're both $499 :thumbup:

This is a classic case that harks back to all the "haters" who tout devices with far superior "specs". This JooJoo has a bigger screen with a much faster processor, 4x as much memory, displays Flash, etc... yet the end user experience is far far inferior to the iPad. Better hardware numbers doesn't always translate into a better product. GUI is Apple's specialty.

I'm certainly intrigued by this theoretical systems that everyone has in the works that all seem to have more powerful hardware... but I'm skeptical that anyone will have a better overall product/experience than the iPad. It could happen but I'm not holding my breath.
Do you or have you ever worked for AOL?? :lmao: Like I've said, there will always be those who like the way things work and not care what's under the covers or what it's capable of doing vs other machines. Apple absolutely owns those people and it's not even close.

ETA: I am not suggesting you are one of these people icon...but I've heard this sentiment a million times. I know people that wouldn't care if Apple put their "experience" on a 286 as long as they got the experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
What does "giant screen" have to do with functionality? I'm holding my phone in front of my laptop on this same screen. They look exactly the same other than font size. Taking your giant screen as a reference I guess the forums work better on my 15" laptop lcd than on your 9" ipad.

What does "giant screen" have to do with functionality? I'm holding my phone in front of my laptop on this same screen. They look exactly the same other than font size. Taking your giant screen as a reference I guess the forums work better on my 15" laptop lcd than on your 9" ipad.
I have to scroll left, right, up, and down a helluva lot more on my iPhone than a regular PC + monitor

I have to scroll left, right, up, and down a helluva lot more on my iPhone than a regular PC + monitor
Mine formats the page to fit the screen. Do have to scroll up and down, but I'd have to scroll up and down more on my 15" laptop versus my 24" lcd on the desktop. I can read and reply on the forums just fine and as easily on my phone as my laptop.

Mine formats the page to fit the screen. Do have to scroll up and down, but I'd have to scroll up and down more on my 15" laptop versus my 24" lcd on the desktop. I can read and reply on the forums just fine and as easily on my phone as my laptop.
So you don't zoom in on the page in order to properly read it? Thus causing you to scroll left + right + up + down?example

So you don't zoom in on the page in order to properly read it? Thus causing you to scroll left + right + up + down?example
Flip that badboy to portrait and that's how I view 90% of the web on my iphone. No need to zoom.

Well I got to play with some of these this morning. I work for a key apple vendor so they sent a few for us to play with.

A few comments

-Yeah, it's pretty much a great big itouch. Whatever.

-Best use of this is probably as a reader and viewer of newspaper/tv content. Though the ABC news ap crashed on me 3x. The NYT and USA today apps were slick.

-Keyboard seemed real odd. Especially when set on the side. Very, very hard to type like that. Set upright it was easier to type, but then it wasn't as easy to balance such that the screen was not all glared. I'm so used to the touch/blackberry keyboards that are super cramped that when you take that style and spread it out it's almost too much to handle.

I may take one home one night this week and really mess around with it. Absolutely not in the market for this device though.

So you don't zoom in on the page in order to properly read it? Thus causing you to scroll left + right + up + down?

example
Flip that badboy to portrait and that's how I view 90% of the web on my iphone. No need to zoom.
That is portrait - do you mean landscape?

I view websites in portrait on my phone, but find that I like landscape better on the ipad.

On the phone - I just see too little content when I have it in landscape mode. Its just a personal preference I guess.

Pretty sure you're missing the point here.

"Functionality" is a lot more then just font size. the added real estate allows for better placement of additional navigation, sidebar information and other 'related' content in view at any given time. All of this allows the user many more options or directions to follow from 1 given page. In typical mobile applications/interfaces the viewer would generally have a "Table of contents" type screen that they would jump from. Should they want to view additional content, they would need to go back to that TOC screen and then on to the next item of interest. By adding space for better 'Functionality" you eliminate the extra clicks/page loads when jumping between pages.IMDB for iPod/Phone

IMDB for iPad

RSS reader on iPod/Phone

RSS on iPad

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that right? You mean to tell me that you find navigating a 10 page thread on your phone works as well as it does on your laptop? BS. This forum was designed for a keyboard and big screen.

I mentioned this somewhere before - but my causal web surfing has evolved from using a desktop as my primary tool, to my laptop, to my phone, and now to the ipad.

I liked the smart phone, and the convenience that it brought, but the ipad is a much better experience for me when I am home. Easy/quick access, big screen, easy to maneuver, etc. I can still use the phone, but I prefer to use the ipad. (My lap top rarely makes it out of the bag, unless I have specific work to do. It is bulkier, takes longer to get up and running, and has a pretty limited battery life - so I usually end up with it plugged in somewhere. It does multi-task better - in the sense that I can have several things running at once - spreadsheet, document, mail, web browser, etc. so if I am working on something, I probably would set up the laptop. If I am out somewhere and need to check/send an e-mail or look up something on-line - the phone is still the right tool for the job.

Is this supposed to be targeted as more of a mobile entertainment device than a home entertainment device?
Yes
ThanksWhat is the mobility designed for? I can see using this on a plane or long car trip, but I don't know what else it would be good for. WHile it is more portable than a laptop, it is nowhere close to being as portable as an ipod or an iphone. If it's not something you can put in your pocket, how are people planning on lugging it around?
It fits in my purse very nicely. For others I'm sure they have a backpack, laptop bag, briefcase it fits in.
You just added 3 more pages. :goodposting:
I knew that would get some response when I was typing it.

I'm really enjoying reading on this thing in bed at night -- between surfing the web, reading the times, and reading books, I find that I am constantly on the thing. My fiancee will likely begin to hate it soon (though, then again, she more or less is constantly on her iPhone...)

Like I've said, there will always be those who like the way things work and not care what's under the covers or what it's capable of doing vs other machines. Apple absolutely owns those people and it's not even close.ETA: I am not suggesting you are one of these people icon...but I've heard this sentiment a million times. I know people that wouldn't care if Apple put their "experience" on a 286 as long as they got the experience.
When I refer to the experience, a LARGE portion of that is how well and how fast it works. I wouldn't even consider an iPad if it had the delays/lag that my WinMo (HTC Fuze) phone has. A large portion of what makes the apple experience great is their devices are almost always sufficiently powered to deliver fluid experiences with instant (or near instant) response times. So in a sense... I care very much about whats under the hood. If they were running these on 286 boxes I'd be annoyed with the non-seamless performance and wouldn't even consider it as an option. :no: Just saying. I love apple products because of how well they perform, not just because they're apple products.

what happened to this comment? Otis had his mod privileges reinstated?

redding:

All 300,000 of you are stupid and only like these junky products because they are made by Apple.

Is that right? You mean to tell me that you find navigating a 10 page thread on your phone works as well as it does on your laptop? BS. This forum was designed for a keyboard and big screen.
Yes. Maybe even easier than my laptop with using speech to text or swype for input. and using my finger to scroll instead of a touchpad.

I will say that traditional media still has a few lessons to learn - I did not download it, but I understand the Time Magazine app retails for $4.99 - but is only good for a single edition of the magazine. It appears that they intend to roll out a new app for every edition - and I can't imagine anyone paying $4.99 for each edition.

They probably need to figure out an advertising based model, that could be supplemented by a nominal annual app fee.

MLB charges $14.99 for the entire year, and provides updated content daily. I don't know what the subscription cost for a year of Time would be, but they need to come in with a price in that vicinity if they want to make it work.

Quite a stink about the wifi probs, wonder if it's something a software update can fix or if it is due to bad hardware. Stay tuned :popcorn:

I think if I read books or newspapers this would be great, maybe this will get me back into reading again at some point

Has anyone in here experienced the wide spread wi-fi issues that so many are having with their iPads?
What kind of issues? And you know they're wide spread how?J
I've experienced this issues in a limited sense.Supposedly a lot of people were having problems with the WiFi, in two senses. One, it would drop and make you reconnect to your router (put in the password again) at random times. I have experienced this. No idea why. The other is that people say they have only one bar of signal strength even though they are right near the router. However, these same people tended to report speeds seemed fine. One of the apparent "fixes" was if you have an a/b/g router, you change the router settings so only the G is enabled. Then apparently it is blazing fast and the problems go away. I have had no problem with my connection speed at all -- it has been super snappy. But I have had some issues where I have to reconnect and put in the password again. Hasn't bothered me enough yet to try and fix it, but I noticed it. Also, I noticed that while I was in some other places, I couldn't pick up many routers where I thought I would. Maybe I was just in an area where there weren't any, but it surprised me.There's a lengthy thread on this over at the macrumors forum with a lot of good info. We'll see if it's a real problem and, if so, I assume it will be resolved in the new OS release. :thumbup:

Quite a stink about the wifi probs, wonder if it's something a software update can fix or if it is due to bad hardware. Stay tuned :thumbup:
Has anyone in here experienced the wide spread wi-fi issues that so many are having with their iPads?
Exaggerate much?
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2362319,00.asp

" Apple's support forum is being bombarded by user complaints centering on the iPad's inability to maintain a full, steady Wi-Fi connection."

"On Monday, Apple posted a Knowledge Base article, pertaining to these issues. Not only does the article make suggestions for a remedy, it gives legitimacy to the fact that Apple considers this a very real issue."

No exaggeration here.

I think if I read books or newspapers this would be great, maybe this will get me back into reading again at some point
:thumbup: It has done so for me. I now read the NYTimes on the subway during my commute and love it. Commute goes fast and I actually read the paper (something I haven't done in ... well, ever?). And I'm working through some books I've always wanted to (I'm reading The Singularity is Near right now -- had purchased in hardcopy and got through a hundred pages and then it sat and collected dust in my apartment -- now that I have downloaded it, I'm working my way through it and enjoying it). Also I downloaded a bunch of the free books last night based on a tip in here. It's a pretty awesome collection of free classics.

I don't like eBay's approach with their app.

Seems rushed. Showing search results inside of big, stacked boxes seems kinda cheesy. I'd prefer more of the horizontal bar approach like you see in Twitterific. Seems like that'd be more of what your used to from the main site as well. I'd imagine they'll tweak it as time goes on. It'd be nice if you could create listings too. Think I'll stick to the eBay.com for now.

I've experienced this issues in a limited sense.Supposedly a lot of people were having problems with the WiFi, in two senses. One, it would drop and make you reconnect to your router (put in the password again) at random times. I have experienced this. No idea why. The other is that people say they have only one bar of signal strength even though they are right near the router. However, these same people tended to report speeds seemed fine. One of the apparent "fixes" was if you have an a/b/g router, you change the router settings so only the G is enabled. Then apparently it is blazing fast and the problems go away.

I have had no problem with my connection speed at all -- it has been super snappy. But I have had some issues where I have to reconnect and put in the password again. Hasn't bothered me enough yet to try and fix it, but I noticed it. Also, I noticed that while I was in some other places, I couldn't pick up many routers where I thought I would. Maybe I was just in an area where there weren't any, but it surprised me.

There's a lengthy thread on this over at the macrumors forum with a lot of good info. We'll see if it's a real problem and, if so, I assume it will be resolved in the new OS release.

:popcorn:
Is this serious?

I've experienced this issues in a limited sense.Supposedly a lot of people were having problems with the WiFi, in two senses. One, it would drop and make you reconnect to your router (put in the password again) at random times. I have experienced this. No idea why. The other is that people say they have only one bar of signal strength even though they are right near the router. However, these same people tended to report speeds seemed fine. One of the apparent "fixes" was if you have an a/b/g router, you change the router settings so only the G is enabled. Then apparently it is blazing fast and the problems go away.

I have had no problem with my connection speed at all -- it has been super snappy. But I have had some issues where I have to reconnect and put in the password again. Hasn't bothered me enough yet to try and fix it, but I noticed it. Also, I noticed that while I was in some other places, I couldn't pick up many routers where I thought I would. Maybe I was just in an area where there weren't any, but it surprised me.

There's a lengthy thread on this over at the macrumors forum with a lot of good info. We'll see if it's a real problem and, if so, I assume it will be resolved in the new OS release.

:popcorn:
Is this serious?
That's what people in the thread were saying. I didn't read it super closely. I guess if you don't have old devices that run only on a/b bands, there's no difference. :moneybag:

Question on the 3g plans.

One is 250mb a month. The other plan is unlimited.

Is 250mb a month much? Can someone put that in more practical terms?

J

That's what people in the thread were saying. I didn't read it super closely. I guess if you don't have old devices that run only on a/b bands, there's no difference. :popcorn:
Will this device not run on anything but G networks? That can't be true.

Question on the 3g plans.One is 250mb a month. The other plan is unlimited.Is 250mb a month much? Can someone put that in more practical terms?J
Seems to me like you could tear through it pretty quickly, particularly if you are downloading large files. Then again, if you're using it mostly at home, and only a handful of times per month out on the road, I would think it would be fine. It probably depends a lot on your surfing habits, and my guess is there's no way to really figure out how far that will get you until you try it.The only good thing about the plans is that, if you go over the 250mb, you can switch to the unlimited plan for that month at any time. So at least there is a cap on how much you'll spend, regardless. And given that they have this flexibility, it seems to me the best way to do it is always select the limited plan and if you stay under that month, you save some money, and if not, well you just move to unlimited.

Question on the 3g plans.One is 250mb a month. The other plan is unlimited.Is 250mb a month much? Can someone put that in more practical terms?J
Standard recordable = DVD 4.7 Gigs. So roughly 53 DVDs a month. Not sure how much a streamed version of a movie expands or contracts over the average DVD burn.

That's what people in the thread were saying. I didn't read it super closely. I guess if you don't have old devices that run only on a/b bands, there's no difference. :shrug:
Will this device not run on anything but G networks? That can't be true.
No, that's not true. It runs on all the bands. This is just a supposed fix that some internet dudes figured out and shared with others.

I looked at my data usage on my AT&T bill for the last 5 months (for my iPhone) in MB:144144121140128I think you would be fine with 250MB, you would only need unlimited if you rarely used wifi or used the 3G to download movies and such (which you should try to avoid since wifi would be better for this).

Users who are viewing this thread