What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

iPad (1 Viewer)

A couple of my early gripes/observations:

- Nice on the subway commute this morning. Listening to the iPod while reading an eBook. Yeah, it's bigger than the Nano it replaced in my messenger bag, but not bigger than the book I was reading. So it's definitely less to carry around.
It really won't let you read an eBook and listen to music at the same time? That is bad. Hell my kindle let's me do that.
What about that statement gave you the impression he WASN'T able to do that? :lol: native apps (itunes, mail, etc) can run simultaneously while non-native apps can only run one at a time (but can do so while using the native apps I believe)

Redding said:
[icon] said:
The more I'm reading/looking around, the more I like what I see. I'm likely going to play with one today at Best Buy and will probably be ordering a 32GB 3G unit. So, the main WiFi unit has NO GPS functionality whatsoever, Correct? Seems to me adding GPS increases the functionality of this device exponentially. I can imagine some REALLY cool apps coming down the pipeline that take advantage of that.
I think it has limited GPS via triangulation, because it was able to find my current location both in Google maps and in Urbanspoon.
Interesting. I wonder how that is working? I would think it either has a 3G/GPS receiver or it doesn't. So when you bring up Google Maps it knows exactly where you are? Interesting. If that's the case then I may not need to spring for / wait for the 3G unit...EDIT:"iPad with Wi-Fi finds your location using known Wi-Fi hotspots, and Wi-Fi + 3G models use Wi-Fi, GPS, and cellular towers. So you can get routes, get directions, and get there in no time."I can see the WiFi Triangulation working great in a big city like Manhattan with almost total WiFi Coverage. however in a place like Memphis (or more rural areas) I can't see this working very well. Looks like I will be waiting on the 3G units. ANyone have ballpark ship dates? I know the site says late april...
Same thing on the ipod touch. It "triangulates" your position. It isnt as accurate as a GPS, and wont work at all if there isnt a good wifi coverage. As an occasional use it might pass, but if you want GPS get the 3G unit.

[icon] said:
Great iPad review at Endgaget. Not sure if it's been posted yet because I had to skim a lot of the thread due to childish idiocy.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/04/03/apple-ipad-review/
Good review.A couple of my early gripes/observations:

- Nice on the subway commute this morning. Listening to the iPod while reading an eBook. Yeah, it's bigger than the Nano it replaced in my messenger bag, but not bigger than the book I was reading. So it's definitely less to carry around.

- This thing begs for a 3G connection. I'm glad I got the WiFi one, but the times I was out of the house and lacking a connection, I sort of missed it.

- I am going to the Apple store today to pick up a case and a screen protector. The smudges get really annoying (can't see them when its on, but annoys me when its off). Also I don't like throwing the thing around --

- It's slightly heavier than I would like. If you could shave off a quarter pound that would be ideal.

- Typing is tough. I had high hopes it might surprise us here but, as others have observed, it's hard to get it at the right angle to touch-type in landscape format. I'm sure it will get better with time, and I think that Apple case that doubles as a stand might be a good solution. On the bright side, holding it in portrait and touch typing with two or three fingers is actually pretty doable.

- Screen is beautiful. Watching movies on here is awesome.

- The photo slideshow thing is very nicely done. Put it to music, in the origami mode, and I had family wowing yesterday. Really nicely done.

- Love the Ereader. Never owned a kindle, and I'm guessing this can't be THAT much different, but I get why this is so big.

- Battery life on the first Apple-provided charge wasn't as good as I'd hoped. Battery life after a good overnight charge on my own is wayyyy nice.

- The file system is going to be interesting. I'm looking to import some powerpoint presentations tonight (which supposedly the presentation app can handle), but I've seen complaints that there is no directory system/no way to access the files. However, I did notice what I think was an app that helped you do this. We'll see where that leads.

- I have not yet experienced a single "missing Flash" moment. I haven't gone to a page that couldn't play anything (maybe I don't frequent them?), and all of the video on every site I hit worked perfectly.

- No multitasking is annoying in one sense, but the thing is so snappy, and switching back and forth between apps is so fast, and they all seem to pick up right where you left off, that I haven't missed it much (at all?)
It really won't let you read an eBook and listen to music at the same time? That is bad. Hell my kindle let's me do that.
Huh? Of course it does.

[icon] said:
Great iPad review at Endgaget. Not sure if it's been posted yet because I had to skim a lot of the thread due to childish idiocy.

- This thing begs for a 3G connection. I'm glad I got the WiFi one, but the times I was out of the house and lacking a connection, I sort of missed it.

- I am going to the Apple store today to pick up a case and a screen protector. The smudges get really annoying (can't see them when its on, but annoys me when its off). Also I don't like throwing the thing around --

- It's slightly heavier than I would like. If you could shave off a quarter pound that would be ideal.

- Typing is tough. I had high hopes it might surprise us here but, as others have observed, it's hard to get it at the right angle to touch-type in landscape format. I'm sure it will get better with time, and I think that Apple case that doubles as a stand might be a good solution. On the bright side, holding it in portrait and touch typing with two or three fingers is actually pretty doable.

- The photo slideshow thing is very nicely done. Put it to music, in the origami mode, and I had family wowing yesterday. Really nicely done.

- Love the Ereader. Never owned a kindle, and I'm guessing this can't be THAT much different, but I get why this is so big.

- Battery life on the first Apple-provided charge wasn't as good as I'd hoped. Battery life after a good overnight charge on my own is wayyyy nice.

- The file system is going to be interesting. I'm looking to import some powerpoint presentations tonight (which supposedly the presentation app can handle), but I've seen complaints that there is no directory system/no way to access the files. However, I did notice what I think was an app that helped you do this. We'll see where that leads.

- I have not yet experienced a single "missing Flash" moment. I haven't gone to a page that couldn't play anything (maybe I don't frequent them?), and all of the video on every site I hit worked perfectly.

- No multitasking is annoying in one sense, but the thing is so snappy, and switching back and forth between apps is so fast, and they all seem to pick up right where you left off, that I haven't missed it much (at all?)
Huh? Of course it does.
You said you were listening to your ipod. Did you mean ipad?J

[icon] said:

Huh? Of course it does.
You said you were listening to your ipod. Did you mean ipad?J
:goodposting: My bad. iPad. Yes, as icon noted, you can listen to music and run other native apps in the background. So I left my iPod at home.

Stupid vowels...

ETA: actually, going back and looking at my post, I MEANT to say "iPod" as I typed it, because that's what the music app is called. But I see why that can be super confusing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Innernets R HardI figured the 700k units was a bit ambitious. 300k units in the first day is still an obscene number. If you're goal is to paint this launch as anything other than a rousing success you're going to have to do a little better than this :goodposting:

:lmao: My bad. iPad. Yes, as icon noted, you can listen to music and run other native apps in the background. So I left my iPod at home.Stupid vowels...ETA: actually, going back and looking at my post, I MEANT to say "iPod" as I typed it, because that's what the music app is called. But I see why that can be super confusing.
No problem. Thanks. The lack of multitasking is an obstacle. But at least it's not so bad you don't have to carry the ipod and ipad. Am I right in understanding, you can listen to music on the ipad (via itunes) and do pretty much anything else? In other words, surf the web while listening to itunes?J

Some of the issues are going to be fixed or are already fixed.

Multitasking : Not as much of an issue as some folks make it out to be, but due to be fixed in 2-3 months with the new iPhone OS release coming up.

Printing : Already multiple apps that support printing over WiFi.

I think what a lot of people are doing is focusing on this like its' a finished product. Yes, the USB ports (fixable thru adapter) and lack of camera are physical limitations but this device is a thin client that is designed to be more of a canvas for the apps that are developed for it. We're 3 days past launch date and there are thousands of native apps already. Give this thing 6mo or a year and functionality will be increased by orders of magnitude due to massive amounts of apps that will be coming online for it.

Not saying that as a "fanboy", that's just common sense when dealing with this type of platform.

We've only seen a fraction of what this thing will be capable of.

Am I right in understanding, you can listen to music on the ipad (via itunes) and do pretty much anything else? In other words, surf the web while listening to itunes?J
Yes.You can do this on all heir devices (ipod, iphone, ipad).They (Apple) have done a very poor job of communicating this whole thing.

Some of the issues are going to be fixed or are already fixed. Multitasking : Not as much of an issue as some folks make it out to be, but due to be fixed in 2-3 months with the new iPhone OS release coming up. Printing : Already multiple apps that support printing over WiFi. I think what a lot of people are doing is focusing on this like its' a finished product. Yes, the USB ports (fixable thru adapter) and lack of camera are physical limitations but this device is a thin client that is designed to be more of a canvas for the apps that are developed for it. We're 3 days past launch date and there are thousands of native apps already. Give this thing 6mo or a year and functionality will be increased by orders of magnitude due to massive amounts of apps that will be coming online for it. Not saying that as a "fanboy", that's just common sense when dealing with this type of platform. We've only seen a fraction of what this thing will be capable of.
For you tech guys,On stuff like multitasking or printing, am I understanding you right that you believe that will be an OS issue and an ipad bought today ought to be fine with just an OS upgrade?In other words, it's not goign to be a thing of "hey, now the ipad's multitask. But all you guys that bought gen 1 are out of luck"?J

serious question - I know I asked before but wanted to get a better understanding.

My ripped movies and songs, I know you can sync but I don't want to sync. I want to drap and drop.

I don't think IPODs can do this, can the Ipad do it? Will the ipad recongize them wherever they are assuming correct format

Worst case can you do it with the USB accessory?

serious question - I know I asked before but wanted to get a better understanding. My ripped movies and songs, I know you can sync but I don't want to sync. I want to drap and drop.I don't think IPODs can do this, can the Ipad do it? Will the ipad recongize them wherever they are assuming correct formatWorst case can you do it with the USB accessory?
Yes, you can drag and drop. I don't "sync" my iPod either, never have, because I don't want it to auto-update stuff. I just add stuff when I want to.Same can be done with iPad. As an example, I have some workout videos that I downloaded from the web and was able to drag and drop onto my iPad, so I can do the workouts on the road from a hotel room.

Some of the issues are going to be fixed or are already fixed. Multitasking : Not as much of an issue as some folks make it out to be, but due to be fixed in 2-3 months with the new iPhone OS release coming up. Printing : Already multiple apps that support printing over WiFi. I think what a lot of people are doing is focusing on this like its' a finished product. Yes, the USB ports (fixable thru adapter) and lack of camera are physical limitations but this device is a thin client that is designed to be more of a canvas for the apps that are developed for it. We're 3 days past launch date and there are thousands of native apps already. Give this thing 6mo or a year and functionality will be increased by orders of magnitude due to massive amounts of apps that will be coming online for it. Not saying that as a "fanboy", that's just common sense when dealing with this type of platform. We've only seen a fraction of what this thing will be capable of.
For you tech guys,On stuff like multitasking or printing, am I understanding you right that you believe that will be an OS issue and an ipad bought today ought to be fine with just an OS upgrade?In other words, it's not goign to be a thing of "hey, now the ipad's multitask. But all you guys that bought gen 1 are out of luck"?J
Joe,Things like multitasking are all implemented in software, so the expectation is, for software update-type things like multitasking and/or flash, you'll be able to just download the updated OS on to the same device and be good to go. Obviously the same can't be said for camera, which is the only other functionality I wish I had on here, even if just for the couple times a year I see something cool or funny on the street and want to snap a photo.

[icon] said:

Thanks Oat. I'll be interested to see if the typing improves over the next few months to where you're comfortable posting/emailing/IMing as often as you did on a laptop/netbook, or if the iPad becomes mostly a reader/internet browser and you save your net interaction for when you're using a physical keyboard.Glad you're enjoying it; I'm hoping to swing by a store and play with it today. :banned:

I know this is only a mock up, but if magazines are going to be like this on the iPad, then I might just grab one down the line.

serious question - I know I asked before but wanted to get a better understanding. My ripped movies and songs, I know you can sync but I don't want to sync. I want to drap and drop.I don't think IPODs can do this, can the Ipad do it? Will the ipad recongize them wherever they are assuming correct formatWorst case can you do it with the USB accessory?
Yes, you can drag and drop. I don't "sync" my iPod either, never have, because I don't want it to auto-update stuff. I just add stuff when I want to.Same can be done with iPad. As an example, I have some workout videos that I downloaded from the web and was able to drag and drop onto my iPad, so I can do the workouts on the road from a hotel room.
can you elaborate here? I think he means drag and drop with out having to use itunes but as a drive on your computer, or any computer in which you dont have to have your ipod/ipad setup in itunes. I was under the impression you cant do this, at least I cant on my touch. Id love to be able to avoid using itunes and get content easily from multiple computers.

can you elaborate here? I think he means drag and drop with out having to use itunes but as a drive on your computer, or any computer in which you dont have to have your ipod/ipad setup in itunes. I was under the impression you cant do this, at least I cant on my touch. Id love to be able to avoid using itunes and get content easily from multiple computers.
correct. I have a ton of movies shows that are in mp4 format that I drag onto my phone. can i do this on the ipad

What about that statement gave you the impression he WASN'T able to do that? :moneybag: native apps (itunes, mail, etc) can run simultaneously while non-native apps can only run one at a time (but can do so while using the native apps I believe)
The fact that he stated he was listening to his ipOd and reading his ipAd.A=/ O

Haven't paid much attention to the iPad and have a question.

Other than a bigger better screen, what improvements over an iPhone does the iPad have?

Haven't paid much attention to the iPad and have a question.Other than a bigger better screen, what improvements over an iPhone does the iPad have?
Much faster. iBooks. And the screen makes you never want to look at the iPhone again. When people say "it's just an iPod Touch with a bigger screen" they're partly right. But it's a huge bonus because the native apps and downloadable apps take advantage of this screen and make it an awesome experience.

Haven't paid much attention to the iPad and have a question.Other than a bigger better screen, what improvements over an iPhone does the iPad have?
Much faster. iBooks. And the screen makes you never want to look at the iPhone again. When people say "it's just an iPod Touch with a bigger screen" they're partly right. But it's a huge bonus because the native apps and downloadable apps take advantage of this screen and make it an awesome experience.
I still love my ipad mini. I am excited to see the 2nd and 3rd gen Ipads.

What about that statement gave you the impression he WASN'T able to do that? :sadbanana: native apps (itunes, mail, etc) can run simultaneously while non-native apps can only run one at a time (but can do so while using the native apps I believe)
To be clear, by "iPod" I meant the application called "iPod," and not a separate iPod device.

What about that statement gave you the impression he WASN'T able to do that? :kicksrock: native apps (itunes, mail, etc) can run simultaneously while non-native apps can only run one at a time (but can do so while using the native apps I believe)
To be clear, by "iPod" I meant the application called "iPod," and not a separate iPod device.
odd they named it that - as that will create a lot of confusion. I think it is the "the" you put in front of ipod leading to the assumption its a separate device, not an app.

I know this is only a mock up, but if magazines are going to be like this on the iPad, then I might just grab one down the line.

:kicksrock: THAT is what I'm talking about when I say that we've only seen the tip of the iceberg with regards to what this thing will be capable of. The beauty of a thin client like this (or any manufacuturer who launches a good tablet with tons of development support) is that the OS ideally 'gets out of the way" and is simply as intuitive a means as possible to get to the content/experience.

THAT, IMO, is where apple excels. Making the computer invisible and allowing you to interact with your media/content.

Went by the Apple store by central park over lunch to try and get the Apple case (the one that is slim and folds back to a stand as well). They were sold out. Guy said that 80% of the iPads they sold were sold with that case. Also on the Apple store online for that case it just says it will ship in "late April."

Bummer. May need to pick something up in the interim. Anyone else have any good cases they've found?

Also, I was planning to get a clear screen protector film like my friends have on their iPhones -- it reduces glare, protects the screen, and helps keep it smudge free. The guy at the store said not to bother with a screen protector, and they you don't need one for these new screens.

:shrug:

I may get one anyway, if for no other reason than to keep smudges off.

Went by the Apple store by central park over lunch to try and get the Apple case (the one that is slim and folds back to a stand as well). They were sold out. Guy said that 80% of the iPads they sold were sold with that case. Also on the Apple store online for that case it just says it will ship in "late April."

Bummer. May need to pick something up in the interim. Anyone else have any good cases they've found?

Also, I was planning to get a clear screen protector film like my friends have on their iPhones -- it reduces glare, protects the screen, and helps keep it smudge free. The guy at the store said not to bother with a screen protector, and they you don't need one for these new screens.

:shrug:

Maybe one of these? http://mashable.com/2010/04/05/ipad-cases/J

Went by the Apple store by central park over lunch to try and get the Apple case (the one that is slim and folds back to a stand as well). They were sold out. Guy said that 80% of the iPads they sold were sold with that case. Also on the Apple store online for that case it just says it will ship in "late April."Bummer. May need to pick something up in the interim. Anyone else have any good cases they've found?Also, I was planning to get a clear screen protector film like my friends have on their iPhones -- it reduces glare, protects the screen, and helps keep it smudge free. The guy at the store said not to bother with a screen protector, and they you don't need one for these new screens.:shrug:I may get one anyway, if for no other reason than to keep smudges off.
I would not get the screen protector. I dont have one on my iphone.One of the biggest selling points, and nicest features of the iphone/ipod/ipad is the screen. Putting a protector over it definitely reduces the niceness of it.

Went by the Apple store by central park over lunch to try and get the Apple case (the one that is slim and folds back to a stand as well). They were sold out. Guy said that 80% of the iPads they sold were sold with that case. Also on the Apple store online for that case it just says it will ship in "late April."Bummer. May need to pick something up in the interim. Anyone else have any good cases they've found?Also, I was planning to get a clear screen protector film like my friends have on their iPhones -- it reduces glare, protects the screen, and helps keep it smudge free. The guy at the store said not to bother with a screen protector, and they you don't need one for these new screens.:unsure:I may get one anyway, if for no other reason than to keep smudges off.
I would not get the screen protector. I dont have one on my iphone.One of the biggest selling points, and nicest features of the iphone/ipod/ipad is the screen. Putting a protector over it definitely reduces the niceness of it.
I'd agree, just get a nice (hanky-like) cloth to remove your smudges.

Went by the Apple store by central park over lunch to try and get the Apple case (the one that is slim and folds back to a stand as well). They were sold out. Guy said that 80% of the iPads they sold were sold with that case. Also on the Apple store online for that case it just says it will ship in "late April."Bummer. May need to pick something up in the interim. Anyone else have any good cases they've found?Also, I was planning to get a clear screen protector film like my friends have on their iPhones -- it reduces glare, protects the screen, and helps keep it smudge free. The guy at the store said not to bother with a screen protector, and they you don't need one for these new screens.:unsure:I may get one anyway, if for no other reason than to keep smudges off.
I had the apple one and really didn't like it. Cheap feel. Instead i got the incase convertible jacket. A bit more bulk and money but will really protect this thing. Also has a way to prop in landscape to a few different angles. Highly recommend if you're willing to deal with the bulk. They have it in apple stores so go check it out.

I just wanted to add that I love this thing. I love the apple case for it. It's great that you can keep it at an angle and read or view standing upright. I haven't read all 8 pages so appologies if this is redundant. Here is my review of the apps we have used to so far:

ABC app: It launches all the shows on large screen, it's awesome since Hulu doesn't work on ipad

Words with friends: If you like playing scrabble, it's a very similar game. You can play with your friends or create random games. Fun!

Kindle: You can load the kindle app to the ipad and load all your previous books. It works great but you can not change the setting like you can on the iphone.

iBooks: pretty nice and it gives me a great way to read the classic since most of them are free

Disney Toy Story App: Great for kids. It's a read along story and has games. It's free but the Toy Story 2 book is $9.

Facebook: The app is pretty blurry because they have not submitted a new app for ipad and you have to use the iphone app.

Airhockey: It's pretty fun and much easier to play on the large screen. My son loves it.

That is all I can really think of now.

odd they named it that - as that will create a lot of confusion. I think it is the "the" you put in front of ipod leading to the assumption its a separate device, not an app.
Just curious - what is the confusion?On the app icon it says "iPod"Anyone who as an iphone would recognize it - I use my phone as my defacto iPod now.So if someone says I was listening to the ipod while on my ipad - you are concerned people won't know what you are talking about? :lmao:

I have an actual question about this thing (sorry to detract from the Apple Vs Windows stuff):

I see they have this great picture viewing type stuff on the iPad. Do all those pictures have to be stored on the iPad, or could they be on my PC, or perhaps my Apple Time Capsule, and viewed on the iPad?

I ask this, cause I have quite a collection of pictures that would be really cool to view on these in the living room, but would vastly exceed the storage space I think...
Bump.Can I view pictures with the iPad that are elsewhere on my home network?

:popcorn:

Maybe one of these? http://mashable.com/2010/04/05/ipad-cases/J
Thanks, good link. Two things I like about the Apple one above these others is it is very slim and, more importantly, doubles as a stand that props it up and makes landscape typing much easier. That said, one of these may be a good interim solution.

Went by the Apple store by central park over lunch to try and get the Apple case (the one that is slim and folds back to a stand as well). They were sold out. Guy said that 80% of the iPads they sold were sold with that case. Also on the Apple store online for that case it just says it will ship in "late April."Bummer. May need to pick something up in the interim. Anyone else have any good cases they've found?Also, I was planning to get a clear screen protector film like my friends have on their iPhones -- it reduces glare, protects the screen, and helps keep it smudge free. The guy at the store said not to bother with a screen protector, and they you don't need one for these new screens.:popcorn:I may get one anyway, if for no other reason than to keep smudges off.
I had the apple one and really didn't like it. Cheap feel. Instead i got the incase convertible jacket. A bit more bulk and money but will really protect this thing. Also has a way to prop in landscape to a few different angles. Highly recommend if you're willing to deal with the bulk. They have it in apple stores so go check it out.
I've read multiple reviews on this case and it is supposedly the best one, but it supposedly also adds a bit of bulk and weight to it. Still, maybe worth the trade off?

Facebook: The app is pretty blurry because they have not submitted a new app for ipad and you have to use the iphone app.
This has surprised me -- I can't believe they don't have a dedicated Facebook app yet. But that HAS to be coming any minute now.Also, when you said you got all the classics for free, where did you download those from? From the iBooks store? Or somewhere else? There are a ton I've always wanted to re-read or catch up on.

Also, one other thing I was apparently wrong about regarding the NY Times App -- this is based on a discussion with Memphis Foundry a few pages back:

The app DOES seem to store the current edition of the Times on the device itself (the "Editor's Choice" version, so I don't think it's the whole thing, but just the articles they choose for the app). So today, even though I don't have Wifi at my office or on the subway, I was able to read the articles and click through them. I was wondering if it was maybe just the articles I clicked on previously, stored in cache or something, but I tried clicking on some articles that I don't remember exploring earlier and sure enough the full text was there.

This is huge for us subway commuters, and a huge help for this wifi-only version. :popcorn:

ETA: It says it is in "Offline Mode," and doesn't show all the videos/content embedded in the articles (or maybe those were just links to advertising?), but the full text is there.

Users who are viewing this thread