What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is all play really the way to go ? (1 Viewer)

All play would be just like total points (which I've always thought is better). Our 21 year old league splits the pot between total points winner and H2H?Playoff Champ. The same team has won both only 5 out of the 20 previous seasons. And we generally consider the points champion the "Best Team" and League Champ.
Not quite. It would eliminate the extremes. Meaning, if someone outscored everyone else by a HUGE margin one week, total points will continue to reward that person for future weeks. All play would eliminate that.But, it is closer to total points. That I'll give ya.

1. This year is no different than any other. The schedule has always played a huge role in who makes the playoffs. Maybe it hasn't affected you before, but it has a lot of us.

I don't know if they still have it, but ESPN use to have a cool feature where you could see what teams records would have been if they had another team's schedule.

2. Some people are confusing All Play with having your best possible lineup for the week automatically used.

bryhamm said:
All play would be just like total points (which I've always thought is better). Our 21 year old league splits the pot between total points winner and H2H?Playoff Champ. The same team has won both only 5 out of the 20 previous seasons. And we generally consider the points champion the "Best Team" and League Champ.
Not quite. It would eliminate the extremes. Meaning, if someone outscored everyone else by a HUGE margin one week, total points will continue to reward that person for future weeks. All play would eliminate that.But, it is closer to total points. That I'll give ya.
The closer it is to total points, the better off you are. If all-play takes away some of the stigma associated with total points, go for it.I think fantasy football is more like a round of golf than real football. You're "competing" against others, but it's really about what you do and comparing that to how they do. You can't do anything to stop each other. You're just comparing scores. And if you get a birdie on one hole, that helps you in the overall round. I like total points because it rewards the best teams, and all-play is a step in that direction. Plus you get the added benefit of some trash-talking by comparing records against each other and you can have side bets or whatever.

All play is "the way" if total points takes the fun out of it for you.

:popcorn: :shrug: Seriously, cry me a river. Maybe the NFL should go to all play as well. I mean the Steelers put up 26 pts this week and lost, really unfortunate because that should be a enough to win.
Right that makes sense. Because when I get 150 points scored against me in fantasy, it's because my defense really sucked, I guess.

:blackdot: i really think this is the way to go
I can't see it. There is something to preserving a direct Me Vs. You competition. Just my opinion, but all-play, to me, would be incredibly boring because you effectively would be playing against every player in the league every week, it would diminish those enjoyable/gut wrenching games that you tune in to for the sole point of just wanting to root for or against one particular player that you or your opponent has. I know some people advocate for it but I'm on the other side. I think if I did all-play, and I knew I had a good team that was going to generally put up points, I would set my lineup to account for injuries and byes but other than that, I would basically just be out of sight and non-participating and just show back up in three months and find out who else made the playoffs.

I can't see it. There is something to preserving a direct Me Vs. You competition. Just my opinion, but all-play, to me, would be incredibly boring because you effectively would be playing against every player in the league every week, it would diminish those enjoyable/gut wrenching games that you tune in to for the sole point of just wanting to root for or against one particular player that you or your opponent has. I know some people advocate for it but I'm on the other side. I think if I did all-play, and I knew I had a good team that was going to generally put up points, I would set my lineup to account for injuries and byes but other than that, I would basically just be out of sight and non-participating and just show back up in three months and find out who else made the playoffs.
Have you ever been in an All Play league? I'm in one league that awards a win to the top 6 scoring teams and a loss to the bottom 6 scoring teams each week. It's very exciting. Every week plays out until Monday night to see who will finish 6th and get the last win. I understand the One on One competition of matchup play, but that has lost a lot of it's luster as my fantasy football career has matured. There is so much luck in FF and All vs All takes a little bit out and makes sure the right teams are getting wins each week. That said, matchup play is the industry standard and that's not gonna change anytime soon. One way to reduce the scheduling luck is to play in 10 leagues. You'll get lucky in some, unlucky in others, but the variance should even out over time.

In an attempt to see if this year really was all that "wonky", I went back and looked at a bit of the history of my 10 team dynasty league, if anyone is interested. I can only look back at the last 4 years cause we came from a different format (CBS) and that history has been lost.

Anyway, for the last 4 years I went back and I lined up all 10 teams from #1 to #10 in terms of points scored over the season, and then beside that I put their ranking in terms of wins and loses. For instance, the #1 team in terms of points this year was #2 in terms of wins and loses in our league, so that would be a difference of 1. I then tallied up the total "difference number" for all 10 teams in the league for this year, as well as for the last 3 years, here's what my league looked like....

2009- total difference of 15

2010 - total difference of 11

2011 - total difference of 21

2012 - total difference of 20

So, at least in my league, last year was a bit more "wonky" in terms of luck playing a role in the final outcome when comparing points to "team success". I guess it would be interesting to see more leagues to see if they see a similar pattern, and to know really in what years you see the highest number of outliers (such as the team that was 6th in points in my league this year have the #1 seed in the playoffs as he was 10-3, and the team that was 2nd in points be the #6 seed).

Have you ever been in an All Play league? I'm in one league that awards a win to the top 6 scoring teams and a loss to the bottom 6 scoring teams each week. It's very exciting. Every week plays out until Monday night to see who will finish 6th and get the last win. I understand the One on One competition of matchup play, but that has lost a lot of it's luster as my fantasy football career has matured. There is so much luck in FF and All vs All takes a little bit out and makes sure the right teams are getting wins each week. That said, matchup play is the industry standard and that's not gonna change anytime soon. One way to reduce the scheduling luck is to play in 10 leagues. You'll get lucky in some, unlucky in others, but the variance should even out over time.
That's not really an all-play league

Never seen a year like this were luck of the draw in schedule is helping teams so much. Unless Maclin and Moss do hardly anything tonight it looks like the two highest scoring teams in our league will both be 5-5 and on the outside looking in as of this week, not even in the same division. Meanwhile two division leaders are well over 200 total points behind (20 points per week). I know my league will never switch, but in a baseball league I'm in we used all play this year for the regular season and it seemed to eliminate luck of the draw in scheduling.Full disclosure, I am the high scoring team at 5-4, I have the #1 QB, #3 and #5 RB's, #2, #14, & #18 WR's, and the #5 TE yet I'm about to lose to 3-6 team averaging 25 points less then me a week even though I have the 2nd most points going into tonight, he only needs 160 combined yards or a TD and 80 yards from Maclin and Moss which seems pretty likely. Twice this year I've been the 2nd high scoring team and lost, the 2nd leading scorer is now 5-5 as well and I beat him last week when I was high score and he was second highest. It's like neither of us have gotten a break.
Three times in the last 10 years I have been high scorer in a 14 team league and never won. I have won it all two times during that period being the lowest scoring team that made the playoffs. That is why it is better to be lucky than good in FF.

In an attempt to see if this year really was all that "wonky", I went back and looked at a bit of the history of my 10 team dynasty league, if anyone is interested. I can only look back at the last 4 years cause we came from a different format (CBS) and that history has been lost. Anyway, for the last 4 years I went back and I lined up all 10 teams from #1 to #10 in terms of points scored over the season, and then beside that I put their ranking in terms of wins and loses. For instance, the #1 team in terms of points this year was #2 in terms of wins and loses in our league, so that would be a difference of 1. I then tallied up the total "difference number" for all 10 teams in the league for this year, as well as for the last 3 years, here's what my league looked like....2009- total difference of 152010 - total difference of 112011 - total difference of 212012 - total difference of 20So, at least in my league, last year was a bit more "wonky" in terms of luck playing a role in the final outcome when comparing points to "team success". I guess it would be interesting to see more leagues to see if they see a similar pattern, and to know really in what years you see the highest number of outliers (such as the team that was 6th in points in my league this year have the #1 seed in the playoffs as he was 10-3, and the team that was 2nd in points be the #6 seed).
I was curious about this, as we had one team finish 7th and just out of the playoffs (lost to the 6th-place team by one point in the last game), yet he only scored 9 fewer total points than me (who finished in 2nd). I looked at what the standings would be if we did all-play. Other than a flip-flop of the actual 3 and 4 teams (who were only 1 game apart in the standings and who each had the highest variances, so this kind of makes sense), the final standings would have been exactly the same, except for the 7th-place team.
Code:
   All-Play Finish	All-Play Wininng %	Actual Finish	Actual Winning %Team A	      1	              0.709	              1	             0.769Team B	      2    	      0.658	              7	             0.462Team C	      3	              0.624	              2	             0.769Team D	      4	              0.573                   4	             0.615Team E	      5	              0.556	              3	             0.692Team F	      6	              0.530	              5	             0.538Team G	      7	              0.496	              6	             0.538Team H	      8	              0.479	              8	             0.462Team I	      9	              0.239	              9    	     0.154Team J	     10	              0.137	             10	             0.000

I hate H2H SCHEDULE LUCK with all my soul!

I have been high scorer in one 10 team league 3 straight years and didn't earn a single week 14 bye because of schedule luck. :wall:

One of those years, I wasn't going to make the playoffs but was saved by our "Wild Card" clause. The Wild Cards are awarded to the 5th and 6th best teams based on Points Scored.

During off season meetings, my league in all it's wisdom, got rid of the Wild Card Clause so this year the 9th best team made the playoffs :wall:

What is the solution for 10 and 12 team leagues?

Qualify only 4 teams for playoffs

Both division winners and two Wild Card teams based on Points Scored (regardless of division)

Highest seed (Seeding based solely on Points For) gets to pick his week 15 playoff opponent (strongest picking weakest)

Not perfect, but way better :banned:

For those saying All-Play is more fun I would disagree like others.

As far as All-Play meaning all the highest points scorers would be in the playoffs I would have to disagree there as well. If certain teams have boom and bust players they could in theory have weeks where they score 2x the points than the league average only to score below the league average the next 2 weeks.

If your looking to have points scored be the true measure of who should be in the playoffs then use total points.

Also for those supporting the victory point total again instead of seperating the winners from losers more your simply dumbing down the All-Play system to make teams closer through the year by group the top3/middle4/bottom3 together for instance.

I hate H2H SCHEDULE LUCK with all my soul!I have been high scorer in one 10 team league 3 straight years and didn't earn a single week 14 bye because of schedule luck. :wall: One of those years, I wasn't going to make the playoffs but was saved by our "Wild Card" clause. The Wild Cards are awarded to the 5th and 6th best teams based on Points Scored.During off season meetings, my league in all it's wisdom, got rid of the Wild Card Clause so this year the 9th best team made the playoffs :wall: What is the solution for 10 and 12 team leagues?Qualify only 4 teams for playoffsBoth division winners and two Wild Card teams based on Points Scored (regardless of division)Highest seed (Seeding based solely on Points For) gets to pick his week 15 playoff opponent (strongest picking weakest)Not perfect, but way better :banned:
I would like a link to your leagues if you have them. Also you would need to eliminate your playoffs if you really want points scored in week 2 and 3 to matter for you to win the championship.

We switched to all play 2 years ago after a long debate in a 10 team dynasty. The main reason we did was because one of our league mates did a very detailed study of our history and basically made the argument that for all the time and attention we spend on FF, scheduling had way to much impact on the outcomes.

Our league loves it. And we do have exciting finishes, toward the end of the year. A team can make up a 5-8 win deficit in one week.

An interesting statistical note about this year - I'm #1 in all play but #7 in points scored. So in one metric in the best, in another I'm not in the playoffs. That's because I have a very solid, consistent team. No huge blowups or really bad weeks. So many weeks I was 6-3 or 7-2 in all play. I never finished below 5-4.

All play rewards consistency. Total points rewards sheer production.

BTW we switch to H2H in the playoffs. A concession to two league-mates who weren't real sure they wanted to switch to all play.

I hate H2H SCHEDULE LUCK with all my soul!I have been high scorer in one 10 team league 3 straight years and didn't earn a single week 14 bye because of schedule luck. :wall: One of those years, I wasn't going to make the playoffs but was saved by our "Wild Card" clause. The Wild Cards are awarded to the 5th and 6th best teams based on Points Scored.During off season meetings, my league in all it's wisdom, got rid of the Wild Card Clause so this year the 9th best team made the playoffs :wall: What is the solution for 10 and 12 team leagues?Qualify only 4 teams for playoffsBoth division winners and two Wild Card teams based on Points Scored (regardless of division)Highest seed (Seeding based solely on Points For) gets to pick his week 15 playoff opponent (strongest picking weakest)Not perfect, but way better :banned:
I would like a link to your leagues if you have them. Also you would need to eliminate your playoffs if you really want points scored in week 2 and 3 to matter for you to win the championship.
That is a good point. Why do people want a 2 or 3 week sample to determine the league's champion, yet they are upset a couple of weeks with high variations determining who is in the playoffs?

Last edited by a moderator:
we tried all-play one year in one my fantasy leagues. we hated it. never going back to that. it really wasn't any fun. no head to head games, etc.

I am thinking of going to a head to head best ball format though. I think that is the way to go.

That's not really an all-play league
No it's not, but I hadn't heard of this and honestly really like it. With a true all play format, you end up with a ridiculous amount of games. With the above format, you still have just one game per week. You're really (in my 10 team league) only playing against 1 team each week - the 6th highest scoring team....you just don't know who that is.I "reran" my league with that format, and the outcome was much closer in terms of total points to playoff seed, but it still wasn't dead on (which is totally fine). All play takes the head to head out of it, as does total points....while this format still has the head to head feel (I'd imagine), but you just don't know who you're playing head to head against.

The reason i bumped this thread is because there is a guy in our league that seems to have really been screwed by the randomness of H2H scheduling. It's an MFL league so All-Play records are on display, even though we are a H2H league. Its a 22 team league split into two divisions. This team just so happens to be second in his division in points and All-Play record, and fourth in the entire league in both respective categories. As it stands, he is in 7th place in his division- two games behind the 6th and final playoff spot. Luckily, he still has a chance since we play double headers until week 16.

FYI, our playoffs occur during the NFL playoffs....after the regular season we redraft new teams before each round of the NFL playoffs. I know I know, its cooky, but thats besides the point....

The main point is that this team is obviously one of the best teams in the entire league, but due to the (bad)luck of the draw there is a realistic chance that he will miss the playoffs.

For those saying All-Play is more fun I would disagree like others.As far as All-Play meaning all the highest points scorers would be in the playoffs I would have to disagree there as well. If certain teams have boom and bust players they could in theory have weeks where they score 2x the points than the league average only to score below the league average the next 2 weeks.If your looking to have points scored be the true measure of who should be in the playoffs then use total points.Also for those supporting the victory point total again instead of seperating the winners from losers more your simply dumbing down the All-Play system to make teams closer through the year by group the top3/middle4/bottom3 together for instance.
All-play isn't total points. If you have a massively huge week, you can't do any better than an 11-0 week, even if you outscore the next-best team by 100 points. So one crazy points week doesn't skew the whole season. You play all other teams in the league head-to-head each week. Top six records make it.

The reason i bumped this thread is because there is a guy in our league that seems to have really been screwed by the randomness of H2H scheduling. It's an MFL league so All-Play records are on display, even though we are a H2H league. Its a 22 team league split into two divisions. This team just so happens to be second in his division in points and All-Play record, and fourth in the entire league in both respective categories. As it stands, he is in 7th place in his division- two games behind the 6th and final playoff spot. Luckily, he still has a chance since we play double headers until week 16. FYI, our playoffs occur during the NFL playoffs....after the regular season we redraft new teams before each round of the NFL playoffs. I know I know, its cooky, but thats besides the point....The main point is that this team is obviously one of the best teams in the entire league, but due to the (bad)luck of the draw there is a realistic chance that he will miss the playoffs.
It isn't just about best teams necessarily either. Yes, you get a cheap win as second-worst score if you happen to play guy with worst score. But more than that, it's about fairness. Why should you get to play some guy head-to-head when four of his studs happen to be on a bye, but I have to play him when he's got his full lineup? That's just stupid.

As commish of a league which will be debating this change in the offseason, I'm following this debate with some interest. Right now, the all-play proponents are making the more attractive arguments.

As commish of a league which will be debating this change in the offseason, I'm following this debate with some interest. Right now, the all-play proponents are making the more attractive arguments.
We went through this 2 years ago. I was the first guy on board with the one who brought up the proposal. It passed 9-1 after an extended debate via messages on MFL site. It will come down to fairness vs excitement/tradition. No one in their right mind can argue that H2H is a better indication of FF skill than all play.

I will acknowledge all-play isn't as "exciting" as head-to-head, but I can do without the excitement of getting completely screwed over by H2H matchups. There's no removing all the luck involved in fantasy football, but you might as well eliminate it where you can. And this is an easy and significant way to do that. League I run is in its 10th year of this, and no one has ever mentioned the slightest notion of every going back to H2H.

Fantasy Football can be compared to golf...there is nothing you can do effect how other golfers perform. The only thing you have control over is your own game. That's why the champion of the PGA Tour isn't decided by a season of match play. Your success depends on how well you do against the entire field on a weekly basis. And thats why the fairest FF scoring system is All-Play. The best players that season will come out on top

Fantasy Football can be compared to golf...there is nothing you can do effect how other golfers perform. The only thing you have control over is your own game. That's why the champion of the PGA Tour isn't decided by a season of match play. Your success depends on how well you do against the entire field on a weekly basis. And thats why the fairest FF scoring system is All-Play. The best players that season will come out on top
While I agree that it's likely the "fairest", it does lose a lot of it's luster when you realize that (in my opinion) it takes away a lot of the excitement of the game. I love sitting down on a Sunday in a H2H league and watching how my players are performing against my opponents' players, it's somewhat easy to keep track of. You lose that completely in a H2H cause you'd have to do it for all the teams at once, which just can't be done while also trying to enjoy the actually NFL game you're watching. That's why I love the simple idea of the top half of the league each week (top 5 scorers in a 10 team, or top 6 in a 12 team) gets a win, and the other half gets a loss. It's simple. You can still follow something, either the 6th best team in a 10 team or the 7th best team in a 12 team league. I understand that who the 6th or 7th best team is can change in an instant, but you have something a bit easier to follow and still have excitement about than trying to wrap your head around every team playing every other team all at once.

While I agree that it's likely the "fairest", it does lose a lot of it's luster when you realize that (in my opinion) it takes away a lot of the excitement of the game. I love sitting down on a Sunday in a H2H league and watching how my players are performing against my opponents' players, it's somewhat easy to keep track of. You lose that completely in a H2H cause you'd have to do it for all the teams at once, which just can't be done while also trying to enjoy the actually NFL game you're watching. That's why I love the simple idea of the top half of the league each week (top 5 scorers in a 10 team, or top 6 in a 12 team) gets a win, and the other half gets a loss. It's simple. You can still follow something, either the 6th best team in a 10 team or the 7th best team in a 12 team league. I understand that who the 6th or 7th best team is can change in an instant, but you have something a bit easier to follow and still have excitement about than trying to wrap your head around every team playing every other team all at once.
You're right, it is a little more exciting to have a true opponent every week. Maybe its the trash talk leading up to the matchup, or maybe it just comes down to the old "mano y mano" effect. I think that's why most people who play fantasy baseball prefer H2H to ROTO style. H2H is simple, clear cut, and mimics the real sports we follow. So if you can accept the randomness of H2H, then suit yourself. But whats the point in striving for the best fantasy team you can have when you know that luck/randomness is still going to play a huge roll in the outcome of a season? Granted, you will never get rid of the luck/randomness factor, but i think All-Play scoring can reduce it without drastically changing the basics and the excitement of Fantasy Football

Again I'll use my league as the example for the "top 5 get a win, bottom 5 get a loss" scenario.

Week 2 this season the scores in order from highest to lowest were 197.5, 179.5, 169, 151, 150.5, 144, 109, 104.5, 103, and 97.5. Due to the randomness of the matchups selected by MFL, a team lost scoring 150.5, while another team won scoring 109.

This is a league where every player signs onto the league daily, most of them multiple times per day. This daily log on trend continues through the offseason for most. Every player can probably name the RB and WR depth chart through #3 of every NFL team - we're pretty serious about this. So why are we leaving so much of the outcome of the season up to chance?

I reran the season given the "top5 win/bottom 5 lose" system, and it was still a slightly different order than the all play or the total points rankings - so luck can still play a part....but it's FAR more actuate than the actual outcome that we had.

Again I'll use my league as the example for the "top 5 get a win, bottom 5 get a loss" scenario.Week 2 this season the scores in order from highest to lowest were 197.5, 179.5, 169, 151, 150.5, 144, 109, 104.5, 103, and 97.5. Due to the randomness of the matchups selected by MFL, a team lost scoring 150.5, while another team won scoring 109.This is a league where every player signs onto the league daily, most of them multiple times per day. This daily log on trend continues through the offseason for most. Every player can probably name the RB and WR depth chart through #3 of every NFL team - we're pretty serious about this. So why are we leaving so much of the outcome of the season up to chance?I reran the season given the "top5 win/bottom 5 lose" system, and it was still a slightly different order than the all play or the total points rankings - so luck can still play a part....but it's FAR more actuate than the actual outcome that we had.
I like that system. I think that's a good medium

Again I'll use my league as the example for the "top 5 get a win, bottom 5 get a loss" scenario.Week 2 this season the scores in order from highest to lowest were 197.5, 179.5, 169, 151, 150.5, 144, 109, 104.5, 103, and 97.5. Due to the randomness of the matchups selected by MFL, a team lost scoring 150.5, while another team won scoring 109.This is a league where every player signs onto the league daily, most of them multiple times per day. This daily log on trend continues through the offseason for most. Every player can probably name the RB and WR depth chart through #3 of every NFL team - we're pretty serious about this. So why are we leaving so much of the outcome of the season up to chance?I reran the season given the "top5 win/bottom 5 lose" system, and it was still a slightly different order than the all play or the total points rankings - so luck can still play a part....but it's FAR more actuate than the actual outcome that we had.
Again, why do all-play or top5/bottom 5, just do total points league if your sooooo worried about this stat known as total points.Total points doesn't take into accout taking a risk because you know you need to score big to win or playing the sure and steady option because you know you just need an average score out of the position to take home that H2H matchup. Both have advantages and disadvantages but I see no reason to ever do a All-Play league.Also to know that you really shouldn't have a playoff as why would you go a whole year of All-Play only to allow the last player that snuck in to take home the championship.

I like Victory Points, keeps the H2H aspect, but allows you to get points if you do well but don't win.

Yeah, I just saw a post about it earlier today, and the more I think about it, the more I like it. I went back and looked at our season so far....we had a team "win" scoring 109 points one week, and another team "lose" scoring 175 points. Just seemed totally out of whack to me. This system eliminates those flukes, but you still don't know what you need to score each week to get the "win". One week it could be 130, in the example week I used above it happened to be 145, but there was a week were all that was needed was like 121 (quite a few teams on bye and injuries league wide). It's kinda still a H2H system, it's just unknown who exactly you're playing against till all the scores are in. This system also leaves a lot more undecided until the Monday night game. You could be 3rd in points after Sunday, but the 4th, 5th, and 7th place teams all have players going Monday....your win isn't safe yet....so it could actually get teams MORE involved in trash talking and the like (which is really why we all play this game, right? Well, trash talk and $ in some leagues, haha).

Again, why do all-play or top5/bottom 5, just do total points league if your sooooo worried about this stat known as total points.Total points doesn't take into accout taking a risk because you know you need to score big to win or playing the sure and steady option because you know you just need an average score out of the position to take home that H2H matchup. Both have advantages and disadvantages but I see no reason to ever do a All-Play league.Also to know that you really shouldn't have a playoff as why would you go a whole year of All-Play only to allow the last player that snuck in to take home the championship.
I'm not soooo worried about total points. I really don't like total points, it doesn't tell me anything week to week, just what each team did over the entire course of the season. I don't want a total points scoring system at all, I still would like the week to week "matchups" and wins and loses to be the determining factor. What I don't want is a team to get a "win" scoring 109 points, but another to get a "loss" scoring 175 based solely on the randomness of the weekly matchup generation that the MFL system does for the league back in August.With all the trash talking and pride we have in the league, it can get ruined by the pure chance that we have no control over in a H2H scenario.

I just posed the question on tonight's Audible Live Thread...hopefully they'll weigh in on the topic briefly tonight!

Back to what someone else posted about Pittsburgh losing while scoring 26 points for instance.

Part of the H2H matchup magic is going up against the weak and powerful teams in your league.

For reference if you team plays the Cardinals right now your thinking you have it in the bag and while you might play pitiful you still win. On the other hand if you play the Pats even if you play your best game of the season you still lose.

I think this maps really to fantasy H2H as even though you might score 170 (really great week) the team your playing may score 185 (amazing week) to beat you. Even though you could have killed anyone else that week it goes back to how the real NFL schedule and hot/cold streaks of teams goes.

You could look at the NFL and say the team schedules play to how teams finnish and the fact that your team didn't play the Patriots on their off week or when they had a certain injury.

In the end everyone should try both options and decide for themselves what they like. The same with PPR vs Standard scoring and seeing what fits your style.

Personally I am a PPR/H2H/10-14 teams league type of person. Also throw in a 2QB league from time to time and its great.

I was the highest scoring team in one of my leagues this year and finished 7-6. The team that finished in 1st had a great year, finished 11-2, but scored 120+ less points than my team did. I lost in the 1st round of the playoffs last week (mostly due to the Texans offense :wall: ) It's all about how the schedule plays out. According to Yahoo, I had the hardest schedule. Sometimes that's just the way it goes.

ETA: I would have won the 1st round game had I started Alfred Morris over Bryce Brown or Matt Ryan over Schaub...I take full blame for over thinking both decisions.

We use double headers in our home league. It's always felt like a solid equalizer in balancing out the wins and losses. Every year since we instituted the double headers the top scoring team has been a top 2 seed and received a first round bye (12 team league).

Couldn't find a more current thread than this in here, (probably is but I just couldn't find it)

I wouldn't mind seeing some more thoughts, and or options on this, I really am getting tired of H2H..

Also do any online fantasy sites like ESPN or YAHOO, ETC give the All-Play formats scoring options?

Couldn't find a more current thread than this in here, (probably is but I just couldn't find it)

I wouldn't mind seeing some more thoughts, and or options on this, I really am getting tired of H2H..

Also do any online fantasy sites like ESPN or YAHOO, ETC give the All-Play formats scoring options?
All play is really it that different than a week to week total points league. It's a step in the right direction but imo total points over the course of a season really determined w the best team is.

The best way to reward the best teams is to keep it head to head but the prize breakdown including a hefty prize for TP winner.

30% sb winner

20% sb loser

30% TP winner

20% best record

All play is really it that different than a week to week total points league. It's a step in the right direction but imo total points over the course of a season really determined w the best team is.

The best way to reward the best teams is to keep it head to head but the prize breakdown including a hefty prize for TP winner.

30% sb winner

20% sb loser

30% TP winner

20% best record
Yah I disagree,

Total points is a decent way to keep track of the better teams, but still a giant week here or there can really skew things.

ALL-PLAY to me seems to be the most fair way to get to the best teams in the entire league as everyone plays everyone each week.

(just seems to me the most fair and accurate way to judge, between Total Points, H2H and ALL-PLAY)

(Full disclosure I now play in H2H leagues and Total Points, just thinking about ALL-PLAY)

Doing Decent now, so not a disgruntled player..

If it bothers you that much, just let everyone in the playoffs. Or let everyone except the two worst teams in the playoffs.

If it bothers you that much, just let everyone in the playoffs. Or let everyone except the two worst teams in the playoffs.
No I'm trying to figure a way to reward the best teams, as well and as fair as it may possibly be,

so I'm looking at options and what others might be doing/figured out for there leagues..

There's a potential problem with ALL PLAY, and it is related to how "true" to the NFL structure you want your league to be. I'm sure you're aware, but what I mean is, division winners make the playoffs, not the top teams with the best records. For example, this year, right now, the AFC South and NFC East are the weakest divisions, yet one team from each division is going to make it to the playoffs, despite having a worse record than the 2nd and 3rd place teams from other divisions. But that's the nature of the game and it's understood that not all the best teams will get into the playoffs. It is accepted that there is some luck/timing involved when considering which division your own division plays. The slight equalizer is having wildcard teams.

To facilitate something similar to a wildcard in one of my leagues (H2H, 12 teams, 6 make playoffs), the 6th/last playoff spot is given to the team with the highest point total out of the bottom 7 teams, regardless of H2H schedule. A couple of years ago, we had an incident where the strongest, highest scoring team literally had his opponent blow up every week and didn't make the playoffs. Our "wildcard" spot sort of takes away the sting for a good team with just a really unlucky schedule.

How anyone thinks total points is more indicative of a better team over all play is beyond me.

I tried switching to all play years ago and was voted down. Instead, we give the sixth playoff spot to the team with the best all play record.

ALL PLAY this way - in a 12 team league for example the highest scoring team would be 11-0 for that week. Lowest scoring team would be 0 -11. everyone else would be somewhere in between.

You still have the H2H aspect but a lot of the luck is removed in this system.

Then a three week Super Bowl tournament with highest total score winning the trophy/cash.

To reward the team that finishes first in the regular season you give them the option of replacing their score in the first week of the SB tournament with their season long average score if it is higher than what their team scored.

Users who are viewing this thread