What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Biden right that oil companies can lower prices at the pump but won’t? (1 Viewer)

So what I’m gathering, the consensus here is that we should just let things take their course? Suppose gas prices continue to go up? Suppose they’re $10 bucks a gallon by the end of the year? What then? Is there any point that government should step in and do something? 

Apart from removing any restrictions the oil companies may currently have to increase the supply of oil, the government shouldn't try do anything to effect the price of gasoline.  There are two sides to the price of gasoline, supply and demand.  If the price of gas goes to $10, then the demand for gas will go down and the price will go down with it.  Once Biden starts messing with the free market by doing stupid things like "gas cards" or "gas tax holidays" he'll just cause the demand to remain high, transfer taxpayer money to the oil companies and lengthen the high prices we're seeing.        

Apart from removing any restrictions the oil companies may currently have to increase the supply of oil, the government shouldn't try do anything to effect the price of gasoline.  There are two sides to the price of gasoline, supply and demand.  If the price of gas goes to $10, then the demand for gas will go down and the price will go down with it.  Once Biden starts messing with the free market by doing stupid things like "gas cards" or "gas tax holidays" he'll just cause the demand to remain high, transfer taxpayer money to the oil companies and lengthen the high prices we're seeing.        
Exactly.  If you are a oil producer/owner and you know people are willing to pay $5 for oil, you charge $5 for oil.

If you then see the government is going to come in and give everyone $2, what’s your next move? Charge $7 of course, the laws of supply and demand didn’t just suddenly change, supply stayed the same and the government just came in to artificially increase demand…which means price will find a new higher equilibrium.

Sounds a lot like what has been done with education and the cost of tuition.  Similarly what is the government considering doing to “solve” this problem…same concepts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Push/Pull with diesel production. Increasing the ability to refine gasoline domestically will reduce the already limited ability to refine diesel domestically. And vice versa.

The gas tankers that refill the gas stations themselves use diesel. So the cost to transport the gasoline itself also takes a major kick.

Ramp in to create additional refinery assets takes years. If Biden pushed for something like that the day he took office, that would be one thing. But he didn't. The reason the GOP went after abortion rights and Roe is because even if Biden declared a ramp in as of today, it wouldn't make a difference at the pump until after the 2024 general election cycle. Best time to do something controversial is when your enemy and his failures provide you hard cover.

In short, we are screwed for years to come. First measure I'd suggest to people is to visit their local bicycle shop. If they even have one that survived thus far from the pandemic in their area. Talk to the people that work there, should be an eye opener. That should be a red flag of where we are going generally. More people are going to bicycle around. Many won't have a choice. More people will buy electric cars, those that can afford them.

Even if Biden tried to bribe Big Oil, he's already stated he's looking to kill their industry. So it's not just Biden but the pathway of the establishment Democrat as well. That Jennifer Granholm has major personal investments in EV technology is basically spitting in Big Oil's faces. They will still slow walk Biden no matter what. They want him out of office. They want all alliances to Biden gone from office.

This is also part of the reason why the airlines are slow walking Biden and Buttigieg too. The price of Jet A-1, commercial airplane fuel, is dependent on what happens with Big Oil and diesel production.

I'm not a fan of how the airlines handled some things and Big Oil are not total victims here, but Biden is going out of his way to make enemies for no reason at all. I can't blame them for defending themselves in this regard.

In the meantime, people should start buying mountain bikes. Lots of them.
So if I'm understanding you correctly, Big Oil, airlines, I assume Republicans, etc are all working to keep gas prices high, simply because it makes Biden look bad.   I'm not going to argue but that's a pretty sorry state of affairs.

Cards on the table - I'm a guy who believes we need to transition away from fossil fuels.  I assumed (wrongly, it seems) that people smarter than me had a smoother transition in mind besides "force the issue by restricting supply and raising prices"...but maybe this really is the only way.  You clearly can't do it legislatively because some 30% of Americans (and the majority of one party) refuse to believe in Climate Change.

So if I'm understanding you correctly, Big Oil, airlines, I assume Republicans, etc are all working to keep gas prices high, simply because it makes Biden look bad.   I'm not going to argue but that's a pretty sorry state of affairs.

Cards on the table - I'm a guy who believes we need to transition away from fossil fuels.  I assumed (wrongly, it seems) that people smarter than me had a smoother transition in mind besides "force the issue by restricting supply and raising prices"...but maybe this really is the only way.  You clearly can't do it legislatively because some 30% of Americans (and the majority of one party) refuse to believe in Climate Change.

That works both ways.  Biden (and the Democrats) wants to end the oil industry but at the same time have them help him while he destroys them.  

Has Biden said/done anything more divisive WRT the oil industry than Obama?

Why are you comparing anything Biden did with Obama?  Even if their policies were identical, the US gas consumption isn't.  During Obama the US was consuming around 18M barrels per day, we're now at 20M per day.  So when Obama tries to kill the oil industry it doesn't have the same deleterious effect as Biden doing it 8-10 years later because the dynamics have changed.  

ETA: I did make a lengthy post about the EOs Biden signed when he entered office.  Had he left the energy policies alone, even if they were all nothing more than a return to Obama policies, we'd be in better shape wrt gas prices. 

It's also time for Biden to realize that the oil sanctions against Russia are ineffective since Russia simply shifted where they were selling their oil and now those countries are taking the Russian oil and selling it to countries who stopped buying it directly from Russia.  

Surprised Biden didn’t call out Frito Lay, Pepsi, Coke, cattle farmers, Miller-Coors, and bread producers for recent price increases right before the summer holidays.  
Someone should have called out soda manufacturers years ago when they went from 20oz bottles to 16.9 oz but charged the same amount. 

Someone should have called out soda manufacturers years ago when they went from 20oz bottles to 16.9 oz but charged the same amount. 
Doritos shrunk the bag and raised the price to $5.59.   TBF it’s a very tricky deal with food.  For every one that complains about shrinking the size, others won’t pay over a certain amount.  This helps explain the popularity of the Dollar General stores.  

It's also time for Biden to realize that the oil sanctions against Russia are ineffective since Russia simply shifted where they were selling their oil and now those countries are taking the Russian oil and selling it to countries who stopped buying it directly from Russia.  
Unfortunately this is true but also why the war is not really impacting gas prices significantly. All its really doing is providing an incremental arbitrage opportunity to countries willing to take energy from Russia and probably also adding some additional inefficient delivery costs

Doritos shrunk the bag and raised the price to $5.59.   TBF it’s a very tricky deal with food.  For every one that complains about shrinking the size, others won’t pay over a certain amount.  This helps explain the popularity of the Dollar General stores.  
I think they should actually be awarded a medal for reducing the amount of garbage Americans eat

Has Biden said/done anything more divisive WRT the oil industry than Obama?
Obama despite a lot of rhetoric...was a pretty big boom for oil.  Increased domestic production considerably.

In regards to production now...March this year is the last numbers I saw and we were back to Feb 2019 levels of production and mostly rising on the way back up coming out of the Covid drop and the administration claims they are pushing to record numbers over the next year to 2 years.  Even with his executive actions that have placed more limits on the industry and reversed quite a bit of the regulations Trump lowered.

True...I like it with chip companies as that helped me say hell no to chips.  And even sodas I cut back...but every trip we go on I like to have a few keeping me loaded with that caffeine (without going through me so quickly like coffee does).  Convenience stores still sell the 20oz...but stores you are stuck with 16.9 in the 6 packs.  Pepsi products you can find 24 oz from time to time.

Do the stations (independent or affiliate) not raise their prices when their cost basis increases?  In other words, when cost rises their margins just shrink and they don’t pass the additional cost associated with card fees or cost of capital to the consumer?  That sounds awfully nice of them.

Why would either of them do that?
I believe that he would, incrementally it's very little.  Of course when the price triples, it does add up.  If you added $3, maybe it's 7-8 cents. I'll ask him again when I see him though just to make sure I have that part right.  However, when I refer to IRR, keeping up with the CC fee only keeps his raw $ profit the same.  If he increases price only to recoup that, if he was making 2 cents per gallon before, he still is only making that 2 cents net after fees.  Therefore his IRR would still be lower even increasing price to offset that piece.  Of course, if you get terms to pay 7-10 days after delivery there essentially is no capital cost for holding the inventory assuming you can turn it fast enough to also collect the revenue from credit card sales prior to paying those invoices.

Usually CC processing for me ran 2.6-2.8% per month in the aggregate, depending on the type cards used and with what frequency.  Some would be as low as 2.2%, Amex tended to track around 3%.  I don't know specifically if all of those guys have the same deal or not.  I do know that in his case Chevron covers his chargeback issues, which for anyone who takes credit cards you know that is the worst part of it.  That was part of the reason I quit running the retail side of my business.  I couldn't believe they did that for him when I first heard that a few years back.

True...I like it with chip companies as that helped me say hell no to chips.  And even sodas I cut back...but every trip we go on I like to have a few keeping me loaded with that caffeine (without going through me so quickly like coffee does).  Convenience stores still sell the 20oz...but stores you are stuck with 16.9 in the 6 packs.  Pepsi products you can find 24 oz from time to time.
This is why you cannot find 20 oz 6-8 packs in the grocery stores - the pop companies kept raising the loose bottle price to the convenience stores.  They also raised the minimum order (usually 10-20 case min).  The CS store owners would get around it by buying it all up at the grocery store when it was on sale, then sell it loose in their stores.  Pop companies then quit selling it, changed to 16.9 oz, while forcing the little guy to buy the 20 on from them.  

Seems Democrats and Biden are going to pay the price no matter what they do at the moment.  Which lead us back to the cycle of making things friendlier to the oil industry and thus less friendly to the environment.  Would be an interesting exercise to see him rescind some of his executive orders…with triggers that they will immediately renew if prices don’t come down or any adverse affects to the environment.  
I like this idea. Oil companies have a nice cover running for them because the red team is foolishly pointing all of the blame at the other side. They can set the price at any mark they want and it'll never be their fault. This move would have no tangible impact, but it would show that they're full of ####. This admin isn't smart enough to do it though. 

Exactly.  If you are a oil producer/owner and you know people are willing to pay $5 for oil, you charge $5 for oil.

If you then see the government is going to come in and give everyone $2, what’s your next move? Charge $7 of course, the laws of supply and demand didn’t just suddenly change, supply stayed the same and the government just came in to artificially increase demand…which means price will find a new higher equilibrium.

Sounds a lot like what has been done with education and the cost of tuition.  Similarly what is the government considering doing to “solve” this problem…same concepts.
This is not what's happening with education. There are too many schools, not enough students, and there were a lot of poor spending decisions (educators <> administrators) over the last couple decades. A market correction is coming and I'll be shocked if a rate increase comes with any of it.

I think they should actually be awarded a medal for reducing the amount of garbage Americans eat
Agreed- I'm all for policy that inflates the cost of that garbage without impacting real foods. Hell, use the extra profits generated from the garbage to make healthy options more essily accessible. 

None of us are a fan of high oil prices, but before we go blaming Exxon, Chevron, etc., we should remember the info shown in the up to date link below from Fidelity.  While these companies are the outlier this year to the good, they were also the worst performers of the past decade.  It's easy right now to talk about how good they have it, but there have been some pretty lean years in there too.  When your end product is a commodity and you have some high fixed costs, you're going to have some really good and really bad times.  It's a political game to try and portray it any other way and it's the risk/reward of being in that business. 

https://eresearch.fidelity.com/eresearch/markets_sectors/sectors/si_performance.jhtml?tab=siperformance

Biden, Harris, Elizabeth Warren, AOC… they’ve probably never taken a business course in their lives.  The result is a childlike view of economics.  It’s embarrassing.  I loved the smack down the oil execs gave him a few weeks ago in response to his letter.  It’s simple market forces, futures….  He has no freaking clue why prices went up so dramatically.  Easier to blame the “Putin price hike.”

If you want more details, just Google why gas prices are so high.

Biden, Harris, Elizabeth Warren, AOC… they’ve probably never taken a business course in their lives.  The result is a childlike view of economics.  It’s embarrassing.  I loved the smack down the oil execs gave him a few weeks ago in response to his letter.  It’s simple market forces, futures….  He has no freaking clue why prices went up so dramatically.  Easier to blame the “Putin price hike.”

If you want more details, just Google why gas prices are so high.
AOC graduated Cum Laude from BU with a degree in international relations and economics.  Id guess she took a few business classes.

Harris majored in Economics and Political Science at Howard prior to law school and chaired the Economics Society...so yeah, probably took a few business classes too.

Warren's legal backrgound is also in economic theory I believe.  Probably has had a few business courses.

BTW...of course they are blaming everything they can...pass the buck...business as usual in Washington.

This is not what's happening with education. There are too many schools, not enough students, and there were a lot of poor spending decisions (educators <> administrators) over the last couple decades. A market correction is coming and I'll be shocked if a rate increase comes with any of it.
What fueled the opening of too many schools and ability to make poor spending decisions?

If the administration continues current policy and props up university tuition by increasing government spending I wouldn’t bank on a correction.

AOC graduated Cum Laude from BU with a degree in international relations and economics.  Id guess she took a few business classes.

Harris majored in Economics and Political Science at Howard prior to law school and chaired the Economics Society...so yeah, probably took a few business classes too.

Warren's legal backrgound is also in economic theory I believe.  Probably has had a few business courses.

BTW...of course they are blaming everything they can...pass the buck...business as usual in Washington.
It’s that Putin Price Hike I tell ya!!

It’s that Putin Price Hike I tell ya!!
I don't understand how this became something everybody repeats sarcastically.

Somebody earlier in the thread said to google why gas prices are so high, so I did. From the first result not behind a paywall: "Geopolitical instability has added to crude oil price volatility. At the end of May, the European Union announced it would ban around 90% of oil imports from Russia due to the war in Ukraine—and it continues to rattle crude oil markets and keep prices far above pre-pandemic levels."

Of course the Russia-Ukraine conflict has significantly affected gas prices. There is nothing more obvious than that, right?

The people doing the sarcastic repeating are usually trying to mock Biden, as if Biden is really the one responsible for high gas prices. But gas prices in the U.S. are cheaper than just about anywhere else in the world (besides Russia and Japan). Is Biden the president of all of western Europe?

It's a super weird thing to use a sarcastic tone about.

Somebody earlier in the thread said to google why gas prices are so high, so I did. From the first result not behind a paywall: "Geopolitical instability has added to crude oil price volatility. At the end of May, the European Union announced it would ban around 90% of oil imports from Russia due to the war in Ukraine—and it continues to rattle crude oil markets and keep prices far above pre-pandemic levels."

Of course the Russia-Ukraine conflict has significantly affected gas prices. There is nothing more obvious than that, right?

The people doing the sarcastic repeating are usually trying to mock Biden, as if Biden is really the one responsible for high gas prices. But gas prices in the U.S. are cheaper than just about anywhere else in the world (besides Russia and Japan). Is Biden the president of all of western Europe?

Sure it’s a part of the increase in price.  A part.  The part that Biden talks 100% about.  The bigger part is his war on fossil fuels, which is causing the oil industry to retreat and not want to invest long term in things like building a new refinery.

BTW - he deserves to be derided for blaming anything and everything on others.  That’s piss-poor leadership.  What’s super-weird is anyone defending it.

Gas averaged $2.42 in Feb 2021.  It had moved to $3.61 by the time Russia invaded Ukraine at the end of February.  We are at $5.03 by June.  No doubt the Russian invasion impacted things, but we had a pretty big issue ongoing prior to that.  It's fine to say Russia made it worse, it's obvious that was not the initial driver and even without that we were on a trajectory to be well over $4.00 during the summer of '22.  Again, not everything in that was Biden's fault.  My grievance is every instinct they have is to jerk the wheel in the wrong direction to correct the problem.  It's not a quick solution either.

By the way, how is that Western boycott of Russian oil working out?  Seems like it hurt the West a lot more than it hurt Russia.  Probably a decision that is off limits to question, lest you be accused of being a Russian surrogate.

Sure it’s a part of the increase in price.  A part.  The part that Biden talks 100% about.  The bigger part is his war on fossil fuels, which is causing the oil industry to retreat and not want to invest long term in things like building a new refinery.

Hm. None of the first handful of google results mention anything about a war on fossil fuels. Forbes did mention that Biden administration has authorized the largest release of oil from global oil reserves in history.

Anyway, a war on fossil fuels wouldn't explain why gas is cheaper in the U.S. than in the rest of the world.

Gas averaged $2.42 in Feb 2021.  It had moved to $3.61 by the time Russia invaded Ukraine at the end of February.  We are at $5.03 by June.  No doubt the Russian invasion impacted things, but we had a pretty big issue ongoing prior to that.  It's fine to say Russia made it worse, it's obvious that was not the initial driver and even without that we were on a trajectory to be well over $4.00 during the summer of '22.  Again, not everything in that was Biden's fault.  My grievance is every instinct they have is to jerk the wheel in the wrong direction to correct the problem.  It's not a quick solution either.

Yes, the results in the aforementioned google search all mentioned the pandemic, which did precede the Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Hm. None of the first handful of google results mention anything about a war on fossil fuels. Forbes did mention that Biden administration has authorized the largest release of oil from global oil reserves in history.

Anyway, a war on fossil fuels wouldn't explain why gas is cheaper in the U.S. than in the rest of the world.
The algorithm may need to be recalibrated.

What fueled the opening of too many schools and ability to make poor spending decisions?

If the administration continues current policy and props up university tuition by increasing government spending I wouldn’t bank on a correction.
Don't know. I'm knee deep in higher ed admin so I am keenly aware of the existing problems, but I don't pretend to know what led us to this position in the first place. I am trying to help clean up the mess on the inside at one institution and it's crystal clear what's going to happen over the next decade or so. Rates are not going to increase at most schools, a lot are going to close, and the rate increases that occur will be due to infrastructure and support new revenue streams. 

It's important our gov't prioritizes funding higher ed to keep more of those schools open because competition will keep costs down. 

By the way, how is that Western boycott of Russian oil working out?  Seems like it hurt the West a lot more than it hurt Russia.  Probably a decision that is off limits to question, lest you be accused of being a Russian surrogate.

Russia just defaulted on international loans for the first time in over 100 years.  I'd say the boycotts/sanctions are having their intended effect:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/27/economy/russia-debt-default-sanctions/index.html

The U.S. has always had cheaper gas than most of the rest of the world.  That's not really a good argument Maurile.

The U.S. has always had cheaper gas than most of the rest of the world.  That's not really a good argument Maurile.

The fact that gas prices are higher throughout the rest of the world effectively refutes the assertion that what's causing high gas prices is the United States President.

The idea that high gas prices are caused by the greed of oil companies is stupid, but it's less stupid than the idea that the worldwide phenomenon of high gas prices is Biden's doing.

The fact that gas prices are higher throughout the rest of the world effectively refutes the assertion that what's causing high gas prices is the United States President.

The idea that high gas prices are caused by the greed of oil companies is stupid, but it's less stupid than the idea that the worldwide phenomenon of high gas prices is Biden's doing.
I can agree to that, but given that the prices are this high it's asinine to not want that to be produced domestically.  To do so would result in the following:

Royalty revenue to the government on federal leases

Revenue to the US Treasury on taxes of US producers

Less environmental damage than having it produced elsewhere

To a lesser extent, the incremental production might have a minor impact on pricing, admittedly small but probably greater than actions such as releasing some of the strategic petroleum reserve.

You’re creating a straw man that Biden’s war in fossil fuels should somehow lead to US gas prices being the highest in the world?  I never said that and no one else said that. US gas prices will never be as high as European countries, no matter how badly Biden screws it up.  The US is the largest oil producing country in the world - and it’s not even close.  We produce 80% more oil than the #2 country - Saudi Arabia.

The problem in the US is lack of refining capacity.  We should be building a new refinery right now.  But the oil companies aren’t going to invest billions of dollars when Biden and the Democrats are hell bent on moving away from fossil fuels - even if we aren’t ready for it.  That’s the issue.  Not the Putin Price Hike.

Russia just defaulted on international loans for the first time in over 100 years.  I'd say the boycotts/sanctions are having their intended effect:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/27/economy/russia-debt-default-sanctions/index.html
Sanctions On Russian Oil And Gas Didn’t Work, And Now We Know Why.

“In May 2021, the Russian export revenues were EUR 633 million/day (note: currently 1 EUR is close to the value of 1 dollar). Between May 2021 and May 2022, export volumes dropped by EUR 95 million/day. The discounted price of Russian oil, etc, led to a drop of EUR 101 million/day. So far, it seemed the sanctions were working. 

But then the increasing price of fossil fuels on the global market overwhelmed both these effects and resulted in an increase of export revenue to Russia of EUR 447 million/day. Russia’s average export prices were an average 60% higher than last year. By May 2022, the export revenue had increased to EUR 883 million/day – an increase of 39% from pre-war May 2021.

The price of oil today is above $120/barrel. And Russia is pulling in almost EUR 1 billion/day, or $1 billion/day, in export revenues from fossil fuels. With that, you can pay for a huge war effort aimed at Ukraine.

President Putin had claimed that embargoes by the West on Russia’s oil and gas would backfire and lead to global price increases. This seems to have come true…”

Sanctions On Russian Oil And Gas Didn’t Work, And Now We Know Why.

“In May 2021, the Russian export revenues were EUR 633 million/day (note: currently 1 EUR is close to the value of 1 dollar). Between May 2021 and May 2022, export volumes dropped by EUR 95 million/day. The discounted price of Russian oil, etc, led to a drop of EUR 101 million/day. So far, it seemed the sanctions were working. 

But then the increasing price of fossil fuels on the global market overwhelmed both these effects and resulted in an increase of export revenue to Russia of EUR 447 million/day. Russia’s average export prices were an average 60% higher than last year. By May 2022, the export revenue had increased to EUR 883 million/day – an increase of 39% from pre-war May 2021.

The price of oil today is above $120/barrel. And Russia is pulling in almost EUR 1 billion/day, or $1 billion/day, in export revenues from fossil fuels. With that, you can pay for a huge war effort aimed at Ukraine.

President Putin had claimed that embargoes by the West on Russia’s oil and gas would backfire and lead to global price increases. This seems to have come true…”

I was referring to the overall boycotts/sanctions.  If you want to limit it to just oil then yeah it's probably not being that effective.  I'm still in favor of it though.  The problem is that the U.N. is a worthless organization.  If it had value, given the widespread condemnation of this war effort by the world, we'd either be throwing out countries still buying oil from Russia or those countries would be towing the line.  

Biden's critics are dumb for thinking the president sets gas prices.

Biden is dumb for thinking oil companies set gas prices.

Market forces set them. Supply and demand. As long as multiple oil companies (and gas stations) compete with each other, prices at the pump will be what they're supposed to be. High prices are a signal to drive less. (And to oil companies, they may be a signal to drill more.)

Market prices are good and shouldn't be screwed with by the government.
Biden doesn't set gas prices but his policies sure have an impact on the global price of oil which in turn has input on gas prices. 

Users who are viewing this thread